Mt. Fuji Hostel Michael's Reviews

2F 3-21-37 Shimoyoshida, Fujiyoshida City, Yamanashi-Ken, Mount Fuji, Japan

Too many beds in room

Thank You for your comment. We have 5 bunk beds in each dorm room, each with a private curtain and reading lights to give the guest the most private bed possible in a mixed dorm room. Based on fire codes all our rooms meet the code. Maybe in our busy season it may seem too many beds, but really it is not. Thank You again, Michael, Owner

Not the normal hostel, but in front of the desk there is a bit room to talk a bit with each other. The hostel is easy to find. One of the lamp switches turned on a lamp above a bed. So if you make a mistake you wake somebody. The village has a nice local restaurant if you leave the train turn left and look at the end of the street. From the outside you can't tell it's a restaurant (perhaps if you understand japanese) It is a traditional japanese restaurant and has no pictures to show the meals

Thank You for your comments I like to answer you 1st the light switch is in a bad place, however, we are making changes to it so that does not happen again. 2nd Yes, you have a bit of room as you say to talk near the front desk however, on the 1st floor, we have a full cafe & pub with lots of room to eat, drink and talk, this is well know in all our web-sites. 3rd Many shops now have English signs and menus in front of their shops to included you were talking about. Michael, Owner

Positiv was the good interent connection via wifi and the fast PCs. The staff was very heplful and friendly. I liked the big lockers, they werevery useful, especially because the dorm is quite packed, you have to struggle to find place for a backpack. And if you are not in your bunk, then you are always on an aisle, while cooking, while, brushing teeth...always people passing by. That can be stressful.

• 6th Aug 2014

Thank You for your comments. This is our busy season and yes, as many as (30) guests can be in the hostel at one time but, it is a hostel and not a hotel so yes people will be around you when you are washing your face or brushing your teeth. All my web site does say shared bathrooms so it is not a secret, guests will be around you. Thank You again for your comments and staying with us. Michael, Owner

Nice and cozy hostel. Well furnished. A bit too far from the main attractions in this area. Good quality price ratio.

Good location--1/2 km from Gekko-ji station and 1.2 km from Fuji-Yoshida station. It is on the second floor above Michael's pub (which has great pizza) and there is a nice little family style Japanese restaurant that serves good kotsudon and udon right across the street and a 7-11 about four blocks away. The hostel is clean, small and quiet. We also liked the availability of private Japanese style rooms (ie tatami mats and futons) that slept four--these worked well for our family.

Everything was great about the hostel. My only complaint as a budget traveler is that there is no kitchen. There is only a refrigerator and a microwave. Coincidentally, there is a restaurant below the hostel with overpriced cooked food.

It was great, got a good night sleep before climbing the mountain in the morning. We were allowed to leave our bags for the day and when we returned a girl from the desk gave us a ride to the station to make the train just in time!

Super clean hostel. Michael and his downstairs bar is awesome. Lots of travel information and super comfortable beds.

Compared to my first stay this was like going to the Hilton. It will be very hard to co,plain about anything here and I really felt at ease with everything. The owner obviously thought a lot of details through and so much is made for you to feel confortable. I totally recommend !

It's reasonably easy to travel to amd from with public transport. Located in area with plenty little restaurants / bars. Staff is very helpful. Only thing missing is a common room and a bigger kitchen.

Thank You for your comment. I like to say that by law I am not allowed to have a full kitchen so I have all that the law lets me have in my type of hostel. Next it is well known that my hostel does NOT have a common room, BUT on the 1st floor I have a full size sports Cafe & Pub there all my guests can relax, eat, drink and meet the locals from this area. Michael, Owner

Highly recommended for anyone thinking about climbing Mount Fuji or visiting the 5 Lakes. Excellent, knowledgeable staff are always happy to assist with any queries or questions. There's a variety of restaurants in the vicinity and Mount Fuji Station (if using bus or train) is easily accessible from the hostel. Minor gripe, there is no common room only a small area to socialise in, but there is a bar downstairs that stays open until late though. All in all, Michael's is a great little hostel.

• 11th Jul 2014

Thank You for your comments. Can I ask everyone why do you all keep saying I have not Common Room? It is well known that my hostel does not have a common room in all my on line sites plus my web site so really there is no reason at all to keep saying my hostel has no common room. Please understand my hostel will never have a common room due to the way it is designed. Thank You again Michael, Owner

It was okay, clean, easy to access, nice staff, good beds, but they charge you 200Y per hour just to stay in the hostel after check out... So better find something to do outside!

I like to say something about the 200 yen charge. This charge is for guest who stay after the 11am check out time until they bus or train is going. Sometimes that can be 1 to 6 hours after check out. However, I have new guest checking in at 3pm plus my cleaning staff is there. Guests who stay after check out are still using the computers or even the showers and washers so I charge an extra fee for them to use the computers etc. No hostel/hotel will let guests stay after checkout for free.

First stay because I was looking for Single Room. Location was just around 5 min walk from Gekkoji station, which is 3 stops from Kawaguchiko station. The only concern is because my point of location connection is at Kawaguchiko station (went to Saiko n around Kawaguchiko lake), so each time have to spend ¥300 from Gekkoji to Kawaguchiko, train interval was 20 min. Anyway, overall I really enjoy at Michael's Hostel. Nice view of Mt Fuji from the hostel too!

A nice place to stay, very clean. There was only me in the room which was great but if it had been full it would have definitely been a bit cramped. Views of Mt fuji were spectacular. Staff very nice and friendly, would stay here again and have recommended.

Room was tiny but very clean and fine for a one night stay. Shared shower and toilets were spotless and staff were really helpful.

Really friendly staff and a great location!

We loved the bar and getting on tv. Micheal is a great host

• 16th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Michaels is great. The location is easy to find and it is super close to the train stations. The staff are excellent and have great recommendations for food and the like. Great views of Fuji from the common area and the streets nearby. Short train ride to FujiQ Highland and lake Kawaguchiko. Michael is also great. His bar below the hostel is lots of fun.

Friendly and helpful staff

I would like to understand if my staff was friendly and helpful, why did you give my hostel a very low rating? What did you not like about it? Why you think the security was an 2 when we have key lockers, front door auto locks? What was wrong with the facilities to get a 1 from you? I want your comments, but if you do not let me know what was good and what was bad how can I make it better and fix what may be wrong? Michael, Owner

Amazing place, good fun.