• 2F 3-21-37 Shimoyoshida, Fujiyoshida City, Yamanashi-Ken, Mount Fuji, Japan

Fabulous 375 Total Reviews
Fabulous 375 Total Reviews
Mt. Fuji Hostel Michael's Located at 2F 3-21-37 Shimoyoshida, Fujiyoshida City, Yamanashi-Ken, Mount Fuji.
Japan
Mount Fuji Fujiyoshida-Shi 403-0004 2F 3-21-37 Shimoyoshida, Fujiyoshida City, Yamanashi-Ken
89% 375
35.4908329 138.8009355
    Rooms available

22nd Oct 2016

I had a great time here. It was really just a pit stop for me between Fujisan - Kyoto. But I definitely would have stayed longer! The staff were friendly, the place was superbly clean, and downstairs there is a bar run by the hostel owner, Michael. He's very extroverted and can help anyone make new friends. This is a small town, so not a lot of commercial enterprise. However there is an excellent udon/mochi restaurant, around the corner one block away run by English speaking husband/wife, べんけい.

• England, Female, 25-30
8th Oct 2016

A lovely stay - I went for a dorm room, which was really cheap but very comfortable and I was lucky going in the off-season as I had the room to myself for my second night. It had all the amenities and facilities you could want, like tea, coffee, hot chocolate and hot water and a microwave for if you bought food and wanted to heat it up. Staff were super friendly and happy to do a late check-in for me, which I really appreciated as I was travelling from Tokyo in the evening.

• England, Couple, 18-24
3rd Sep 2016
6.9

A good hostel to stay in if you are climbing Mount Fuji. The staff were really helpful. There wasn't a kitchen but there was a fridge etc which was fine. There were computers that worked well unlike other hostels! And I was glad there were curtains on the beds, although there wasn't much room to put your bags in the room. I feel there was one too many bunk beds meaning the room was cramped. Other than that a good stay!

• USA, Mixed Group, 18-24
21st Aug 2016
8.0

Overall hostel was good. Michael is very helpful when it comes to finding our transportation. For example, we needed an overnight bus as soon as possible, he called the company right away in the morning to book it for us. This hostel had helpful brochure and time schedules posted all over the lobby. Some problems were the quiet time hours because it was from 12am to 6am, therefore some guest would talk late. Also, there is a BAR downstairs and it can get very disruptive when sleeping.

19th Aug 2016

Great place to base yourself if you plan to climb the mountain and friendly staff who will help you if you need something. I would stay here again. Very social atmosphere.

• USA, Female, 25-30
14th Aug 2016

I absolutely loved staying at Michael's hostel. It was in the perfect location because the train station is within walking distance and was mostly locals. The other train station was extremely packed with tourists. The restaurants around the hostel were very accepting and friendly of visitors. There is an awesome view of Fuji from inside the hostel. The restaurant/bar downstairs of the hostel was inviting and fun. Go downstairs for a beer and meet the best people from all over the world.

• Netherlands, Male, 25-30
10th Aug 2016

Nice place, improvement would be to have a common area. Good place to stay if planning to climb Mount Fuji San. Staff is really friendly and speaks English very well!

8th Aug 2016

Great place, good location, 3 minutes to: train station, 7 eleven, bus station.

• Australia, Male, 18-24
8th Aug 2016
6.9

The hostel's facility and immediate staff were great. On the otherhand, the reality is the location is rather awful. You are about 2km from the nearest station (Mt Fuji St.), about 1km to the closest convience store and unfortunately due to a failing economy, a large majority of the area is closed/abandonded buildings. In addition, i had the unfortunate expeirence of meeting Mr. Michael himself. The odd man is strangely aggressive, spoke appaulingly to his staff and was kinda self obsessed.

Thank You for your remarks. I would like to point out a few things about what you have said. 1- The location is really great we are not 2km from the nearest station in fact the nearest one to us is a 5 min. walk from our hostel it’s called Gekkoji Stations. The station you talked about Fujisan station (Mt.Fuji st) as you called it is really only 1 km from us. 2- The convince store we have 2 very near us one is a food and 100 yen shop that is 2 stop lights away or about 5 min walk and the other is a 7/11 that is just up the road about again 5 mins away by walking, so what you say 1km away is just not true. 3- you talked about the failing economy is why our area looks the way it does, well not true our area is the oldest in Fujiyoshida area and is home to many great people most of the home are 100 years old or more in some cases, yes, we are not Tokyo but we are a very great small town with many stories to tell our guests who come here and enjoy this type of area. 4- About me you said at that time I seemed a little aggressive, but the bottom line is me and my staff are family and I love them all. Sorry you did not have the chance to really meet me and know who I really am, but its ok, I know I can work on the style as an owner. Thank you for staying at my hostel Michael, Owner

2nd Aug 2016

We enjoyed our stay at Michael's. The staff were knowledgeable and helpful. The location is near a local train station (Gekkoji) but further away (~25 min walk) from the main station (Fujiyoshido) where you go to get the bus to climb Fuji or travel to other destinations. Dorms were clean but a bit cramped (esp the beds toward the back of the room). All in all we'd stay here again in a heartbeat.