Mt. Fuji Hostel Michael's Reviews

2F 3-21-37 Shimoyoshida, Fujiyoshida City, Yamanashi-Ken, Mount Fuji, Japan

This is a very clean,comfortable and friendly hostel,within easy walking distance of the train station. Michael's bar downstairs also had a great vibe. I would definitely recommend a stay here.

The hostel is well located, just a five minute walk down from Gekkoji station, with a very nice restaurant directly across the road and a bar (run by the hostel owner) downstairs. The rooms are small but comfortable. There is a mini-kitchen area and laundry services and a communal bathroom section. The staff were very friendly and helpful for tourist information ad there is a wall of ideas and brochures, with an accurate timetable for the trains. If you're planning a visit to Mt Fuji, stay here

Good hostel. Very quiet as I had the whole dorm to myself but I guess I just visited at a quiet time of year. I would stay here again.

Cool hostel with a fun themed bar downstairs. Michael was a great host, was good for a chat and was down for a few drinks! As is the case with many hostels, Michael's page seems to be riddled with negative reviews from idiots who booked without actually reading about the hostel's facilities, location etc. Which is a shame! All round was a great stay, Mt. Fuji was a highlight of our trip.

• 25th Apr 2015

Thank You James for your comments. I too wish that guests would actually read about my hostel's facilities, location etc... However, smart guests like you can read passed those types of reviews and see that my hostel is really a great place to stay and meet very nice people to include the locals. Thank You your stay with us and hope to see you again James. Michael, Owner

It is a small but well kept and well run hostel. The rooms and facilities were very clean, the staff was friendly, and the lockers and beds were good. Everything was standard or better. Its location was good for going to Fuji Ku Highland amusement park, and you could see Mount Fuji from the town.

Good place for seeing Mt Fuji/lakes, stayed 2 nights, not much else to do so 3 nights would be too much. Space was a little tight and poor ventilation/too enclosed but overall, good facilities, location and staff. Fair internet. Somewhat clean.

Thank You for your comments. 2 areas you talked about I like to comment on. 1 - You said, somewhat clean, my staff works very hard to keep my hostel as clean as possible I almost never get anything less than a 5 for being a clean hostel. 2- Fair internet (WiFi) This week I have upgraded my WiFi so that should never be a problem again. My staff is the best any owner could ask for. Thank You again for staying at my hostel. Michael, Owner

Cold unless heat is cranked up and dorm rooms are closed, wi-fi is horrible, 2 showers for 30 beds, no kitchen, no comfortable place to eat, very small dorms. Close to grocer, clerks are helpful for information. Sick people should be made to book private rooms, not put in with everyone else to make them sick too. Won't stay there again when I come back to climb Mt. Fuji.

It sounds like you have never stayed in a hostel before, how can you make sick people stay in a private room when they show up not sick or just not sick at the time? The rooms are very warm or cool you just need to know how to use the system. The WiFi works perfect unless the buffer gets full then we re-boot it and then it's perfect. again. No kitchen or command area is in all my sites so if that is what you wanted check before you book your next hostel. Michael, Owner

One of the best hostel i ever stayed! Keep up the good work! I really like the room and the cleanliness level is awesome!

Thank You for your very kind words. I am very proud of my great staff. Please come and visit us again. Michael, Owner

Amazingly friendly Staffel, Michael can tell you everything about japanese culture and how to solve travelling disasters and evrything in between :) also it s the comfiest place you can wish for esecially if mt. Fuji decides to hide in the clouds.

• 6th Apr 2015

One of the best hostels I've stayed at. Very helpful staff, unbelievably clean. Owner is super friendly and has a great bar attached to the place. Only downside is you can hear the bar downstairs through the floor when it gets loud.

It's the worst place if the wheather is bad but possibly good located when wheather is good. Strongly depends ob the people there.

Thank you for your stay here. Sorry about the weather, but that is something no one has control of, however even if the weather is bad we have many great places to see and do like the onsens indoor sites or just relax downstairs in my cafe & pub talking to the locals. Again, Thank you for your stay Michael, Owner

Overall we had a great stay at Mt Fuji hostel. The day we arrived we had an amazing view of Mt Fuji from the common area in the hostel. unfortunately the next two days brought miserable weather and there wasn't a lot to do. Mt fuji hostel gave us a warm an cosy refuge! The bar downstairs is expensive for a budget traveller and the owner is a bit mean until he's had a couple of shots, but the upstairs staff are very welcoming. hostel is extremely clean. Only downside is that the dorms are tiny.

Thank you staying at my Hostel. Sorry you felt I was mean at 1st but I am a slow starter and when I just get to work like most people my power has not gotten started yet. I am there from 6pm to 3am and sleep at 5am each day and at 61 years old not easy to be 100% all the time. But yes a few Jack's and it is full speed ahead! Hope to see you in the future. Michael, Owner

Very clean and tidy. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• 22nd Mar 2015

Good, cheap, staff are very friendly and they have all the necessary facilities. If your looking for something fancy don't even bother.

When I visited I was the only guest so was great atmosphere however I imagine it would be good if it was busier as they have an amazing american bar just below!!

It was very well located, we got there very fast even though it was night. The night person who attended us it was very helpful and nice.