Mt. Fuji Hostel Michael's Reviews

2F 3-21-37 Shimoyoshida, Fujiyoshida City, Yamanashi-Ken, Mount Fuji, Japan

Compared to my first stay this was like going to the Hilton. It will be very hard to co,plain about anything here and I really felt at ease with everything. The owner obviously thought a lot of details through and so much is made for you to feel confortable. I totally recommend !

It's reasonably easy to travel to amd from with public transport. Located in area with plenty little restaurants / bars. Staff is very helpful. Only thing missing is a common room and a bigger kitchen.

Thank You for your comment. I like to say that by law I am not allowed to have a full kitchen so I have all that the law lets me have in my type of hostel. Next it is well known that my hostel does NOT have a common room, BUT on the 1st floor I have a full size sports Cafe & Pub there all my guests can relax, eat, drink and meet the locals from this area. Michael, Owner

Highly recommended for anyone thinking about climbing Mount Fuji or visiting the 5 Lakes. Excellent, knowledgeable staff are always happy to assist with any queries or questions. There's a variety of restaurants in the vicinity and Mount Fuji Station (if using bus or train) is easily accessible from the hostel. Minor gripe, there is no common room only a small area to socialise in, but there is a bar downstairs that stays open until late though. All in all, Michael's is a great little hostel.

• 11th Jul 2014

Thank You for your comments. Can I ask everyone why do you all keep saying I have not Common Room? It is well known that my hostel does not have a common room in all my on line sites plus my web site so really there is no reason at all to keep saying my hostel has no common room. Please understand my hostel will never have a common room due to the way it is designed. Thank You again Michael, Owner

It was okay, clean, easy to access, nice staff, good beds, but they charge you 200Y per hour just to stay in the hostel after check out... So better find something to do outside!

I like to say something about the 200 yen charge. This charge is for guest who stay after the 11am check out time until they bus or train is going. Sometimes that can be 1 to 6 hours after check out. However, I have new guest checking in at 3pm plus my cleaning staff is there. Guests who stay after check out are still using the computers or even the showers and washers so I charge an extra fee for them to use the computers etc. No hostel/hotel will let guests stay after checkout for free.

First stay because I was looking for Single Room. Location was just around 5 min walk from Gekkoji station, which is 3 stops from Kawaguchiko station. The only concern is because my point of location connection is at Kawaguchiko station (went to Saiko n around Kawaguchiko lake), so each time have to spend ¥300 from Gekkoji to Kawaguchiko, train interval was 20 min. Anyway, overall I really enjoy at Michael's Hostel. Nice view of Mt Fuji from the hostel too!

A nice place to stay, very clean. There was only me in the room which was great but if it had been full it would have definitely been a bit cramped. Views of Mt fuji were spectacular. Staff very nice and friendly, would stay here again and have recommended.

Room was tiny but very clean and fine for a one night stay. Shared shower and toilets were spotless and staff were really helpful.

Really friendly staff and a great location!

We loved the bar and getting on tv. Micheal is a great host

• 16th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Michaels is great. The location is easy to find and it is super close to the train stations. The staff are excellent and have great recommendations for food and the like. Great views of Fuji from the common area and the streets nearby. Short train ride to FujiQ Highland and lake Kawaguchiko. Michael is also great. His bar below the hostel is lots of fun.

Friendly and helpful staff

I would like to understand if my staff was friendly and helpful, why did you give my hostel a very low rating? What did you not like about it? Why you think the security was an 2 when we have key lockers, front door auto locks? What was wrong with the facilities to get a 1 from you? I want your comments, but if you do not let me know what was good and what was bad how can I make it better and fix what may be wrong? Michael, Owner

Amazing place, good fun.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Near station, and the station is your easy acces to the cable car and such. Also walkable to nice shrine for sakura and mountain view. Owner has a bar downstairs, which is nice. Great udon across the street. Room is quite stuffy and full, but you have curtains for privacy. The hostel is tiny, no place where you can talk without being heard by others. No real common area. Anyway, I enjoyed my stay for a few days, despite its size its a nice hostel. Small lockers available.

Staff were helpful, friendly and very knowledgable about the local area. The benefit of having the American style dinner below was a big plus point and the food was excellent. With it being a family owned hostel they gave us the sense of being welcomed into their family.

• 23rd Mar 2014
  • Scotland
  • All Male Group, 31-40

I stayed in the private room for 2 nights at Michael Hostel. Pretty small but nevertheless value for money. Plus, it was my first time being a solo backpacker in Japan, and it was a great experience thanks to the super helpful staffs, Nate and Mai! Gekkoji is a very quite small town and laid back. The fun are all in Fujikyu and Yamaguchiko which is only 2 station from Gekkoji. So plan your travel well! :)

A really clean, nice comfortable place. The staff are really friendly also!