Mt Hakuba Backpackers Reviews

3020-906 Shinden, Echoland, Hakuba Mura, Nagano (Hakuba), Japan

Hostel served its purpose, bed, shower, and good location. 4 bed dorm was pretty tight with lots of luggage but that's what you get with lots of winter gear. Place was only half full as season was ending, would be good to be there when the bar is open. Staff helped us out with forwarding luggage which was good.

Awesome hostel, bar is great - ski movies every night cool atmosphere

I did not like this hostel. I was booked in for two nights but I could not make the last bus because I arrived in late from Osaka. They didn't compensate in any way for it and just charged me for that night. Also when I wanted to wash my clothes they suggested that I do buy my own detergent, they finally agreed to lend me some reluctantly. Also the atmosphere is good but it is hard to have your own peace there. Transport to and from the hostel i also disappointing. Only one bus goes daily.

Dear Guest, Thanks for staying at our hostel. We are a ski resort hostel, and are open for less than 4 mths of the year so we need to be as full as we can during that time. We cannot afford to have late cancellations and in your case since you cancelled on the same day, we were not able to sell your bed to anyone else. Although we only have one bus going every day to the supermarket there are many free ones going to the ski resorts leaving every hour or less.

The staff are friendly and the owner, Dave, was very helpful and provided me with a lot of useful information and tips. I stayed in one of the rooms immediately next to the bar, which was actually not a problem as the bar closes at 10 every evening. The only issue I had was that I did not have any easy access to an electrical outlet in my dorm room. That aside, the hostel is a fun place with a great atmosphere if your purpose is staying in a ski town and skiing every day.

Great location right near the bus stop, bar on premises with free pool and cheap food available from the kitchen there, and Dave the guy who runs it is a legend so helpful. The bar shuts at 10 so that's a decent sleep still and plenty if other drinking places within 200m. Only thing is the drying room isn't very effective. Have a look and check that the heater is turned on as my gear was wet a couple of days because nobody bothered to press the on button. Handy supermarket shuttle everyday!

Great price for the area. I was the only female in with three men - two of whom were staying at the hostel for a month during snow season and who had various smelly items of clothing strewn about the room - so if this might bother you then mention it when you book. The staff were generally very helpful in navigating the area and local buses. If you are there for the snow sports then you have a cheap, friendly place to stay. Go for it.

• 20th Jan 2015

Rooms are very cramped, insufficient number of showers and toilets and not all that clean. Location excellent, bar facilities, meals and staff all very good.

View all Nagano (Hakuba) Hostels