Mushroom Point Reviews

Otres beach, Sihanoukville, Cambodia

I stayed in the dorm, it's a big open room with separate mosquito nets over circular mattresses that are a generous size for 1. I have rated the security poor as there was no lockers, but I didn't ask if there was a safe, and I didn't get anything stolen anyway. The facilities were ok, but one of the showers was broken and the power went on and off several times in the evening.

Good located 2 minutes from a really nice beach!!! good ambiance, the rooms are clean but a little bit hot (because no ac only fan) staff are really friendly, there is wifi in the rooms

Great location on otres beach. Bit of a ways from the main area of the city, but if u want a beautiful beach, this area is perfect

Mushroom Point is the most beautiful hostel I've ever been to. I had my own mushroom shaped house with a hammock and a huge comfy round bed. The kitchen is outstanding, and you can spend the whole day on the beach, in the sunbeds/sea/bar. Otres beach is further away from Sihanoukville, it is basically a road with small houses of both sides, and its very quiet at night. You can still find a party place, but its really for chilling out, meeting awesome people, and enjoy the sun and the sea.

We stayed in the dorm, four fans is not enough for 7 beds people were moving them to face just their beds leaving others sweating. The showers were cold which was actually quite nice but there was never any toilet roll which I don't think is acceptable I understand that some people flush it and cause blockages but when you are paying to stay somewhere they should provide it. Security wise they had a safe box which we used but we had no idea how to get in late at night

Mushroom Point's best asset is its staff. Very friendly, very professional group of mostly fellow travelers who are also there to meet people and enjoy Cambodia. The (mush)rooms are really cool and the food is amazing. Any complaints that someone may have about this place can only be attributed to the fact that it's Cambodia and things are going to be a bit rustic from time to time, but that's part of the charm. I definitely want to return again someday.

• 3rd Mar 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights. The dorm room is awesome. The beds are huge so my sister and I shared an it was only 5 dollars each! There are fans and lots of power adapters to charge phones. Really good wifi at this place. The staff were ok, not super friendly. Awesome location. Directly opposite otres beach. Staff would come in and clean the dorms and bathrooms every day too. Would stay here again :)

Each of the hostels and beachfront places to stay in Otres Beach have their own character and unique personality and Mushroom Point is definitely no exception. Situated right along the main road, across from the beach, this hostel gives you the opportunity to stay in a really different style of room and bed than you're used to. I loved the mushroom bunk in the room I shared with 5 others. Honestly you can be happy anywhere on Otres, and without a doubt, I recommend Mushroom as a place to stay.

Had a great stay. Was in Mushroom no 5- would recommend a paved path between the bathroom and the room, as in the other rooms- you tend to walk sand into the room constantly!

Nice hostel & great staff at Otres Beach. Clean bungalows with private bathroom is a life saver after an entire day in the sun or exploring the rest of the Sihanoukville area. Plenty of restaurants ranging in prices within walking distance (highly recommend Mushroom Point for breakfast, amazing mango shakes). If you're looking for more night life, head to Ochheuteal beach which seems to have a lot more happening past 7pm while Otres basically shuts down. Avoid using Otres beach 'travel agents'

If you are not in your 30s and do nothing but smoke weed all day you will not feel welcome, talked to or served your food on time. Food took over 40 minutes to arrive, orders were mixed up, and the staff were usually too high to care. You also couldn't dare order a smoothie in the morning until at least 10am because the precious staff needed their sleep ins. Just a weird vibe in general, and way too expensive for what you get.

• 18th Dec 2013

We had a great stay, we rested up on the beach for 5 days after a few weeks of city sight seeing - it was great. Place is great and the people are great, the food at the mushroom is delicious - much better than any other restaurants we tried on Otres or on Serendipity

Lovely location for lounging on the beach each day, no lockers which is always a worry but there is a safety deposit box in reception. Comfy big beds. Cold showers and other people can see into them if you are tall! All very basic but a great atmosphere and very nice staff + good large portions of food!

Interesting concept and quirky huts. I love the round bed and the hammocks that allows you to relax right at your hut. Great service and each suite has its own security box that allows you to store valuables. The toilets are not en-suite so that can be a bit inconvenient. Tap water is brownish but I guess this is normal in Otres Beach.

Mushroom Point is one of the coziest accomodation I ever stayed in with a very unique surrounding. The staff was wonderful, and also the Otres beach is maybe the best shore in Sihanoukville (but quite far from the bus station)!

So charming! Loved the concept! The round bed!! A little expensive for the bungalows, but the dorm was absolutely perfect! They would change our sheets and towel everyday! Right in front of Otres beach! Very good food! Felt very nice to be there for a couple of days!

Mushroom Point is a perfect getaway for those looking to sip cocktails and lie on a pearl white beach while paying little to no money. Staff are wonderful and vibrant. You should expect to pay no more than $2 for the 20 minute moto ride. This area of Shianoukville gets very quiet after sunset.

Staff took the time to explain that in wet season robberies were rife and to avoid anything being stolen we needed to use the safe in the room and leave items with the bar at the beach when swimming. Seems a bit over the top but its worthwhile advice - a friend got a bag stolen on a beach not far away. The hostel was lovely and chilled out. The staff were great - really friendly and helpful when we needed to split our bill 5 ways! It was pricey but worth it! Dorm rooms have the same round beds.

View all Sihanoukville Hostels