NYC Hostel Reviews

140 15th St, Brooklyn, New York, USA

Security: There were random people on the street that told me the code to the entrance. Staff: What staff? I did not see a single person there. Atmosphere/Facilities: I honestly felt like I was sleeping in a haunted house. There was noone there, the building was half under renovations, the floors and stairs were crooked, and neither of the two showers worked. Cleanliness: Nope. Dusty everywhere. Renovations. Value for money: I absolutely do not believe that $30 per person was worth it

• 12th Nov 2014

I booked 3nights at NYC Hostel in mid November bc I had to visit New York for my grad school interview. The night before my flight to NY, however, I received an email from them saying the old location is no longer available due to a remodeling; they gave me a new address instead. Since it was the very last minute notification, I just went to the new address they gave me. When I went arrived there, there was NOBODY in the 4-story house just like a haunted house. They should've notified me sooner

• 11th Nov 2014

The hostel doesn't exist!

There was no hostel at the adress given!

I didnt even stay there. I wanted to cancel my reservation so I both called and emailed them but even now I havent got any response! so I don't know how the hostel is!

20 people cramped up in a small living room waiting to be accommodated. Chaos all over. Older man trying to get to the owner of a hostel to explain that he reserved four beds in a private room and somebody is already sleeoing there. No reception. One guy dealing with customers while banging on the door of "the boss", which opens the door after 20 minutes of knocking. Open just on few inches to ask what is going on... Overall awful... We decided to take off. Don't go there... Very shady.

Please never stay there! I'm serious. It's a dirty hole. One bathroom for 24 people without rooftop and always dirty and wet. Kitchen is horrible. Wifi didn't work at all. There should not be 8 bed in those rooms, not enough space. Please don't go

It's the most disorganized hostel I've ever srayed at: staff keeps record of reservation in a piece of paper. They dont't really know who is staying in the hostel, who paid nor even who is coming. We saw lots of people with reservation who had to leave the hostel. If you like to sleep at night it's not the place to be. Hostel staff party very hard in backyard so you don't have nobody to complain to at 3 am 8 beds in a very small room and 1 bathroom for 24 persons per floor very dirty of co

Maybe not the newest or nicest hostel, you definately get what you pay for. I stayed for a week

• 30th Jun 2014

They said they didn't have towels nor lockers. Their HostelWorld listing said they did. Staff was hard to find and, when you could find them, not helpful. This is not an organized place but most likely a family that is renting out part of their home and more interested in the money coming in. I've been in a variety of other hostels, this is the absolute worst. Beds were poor, facility and area was loud. I didn't sleep well. cleanliness poor as well. Don't stay here if you have a choice.

• 30th Jun 2014

I enjoyed my staying in the hostel, the atmosphere was great, cool people, the manager was really nice and friendly. the staying was cheap. The things I would improve: the level of cleanliness specially in the kitchen and the restrooms, I would also make it clear not to use food and cosmetics of others.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Israel

Manhattan hostel, harlem. I didn't even stay the night. I didn't feel safe. The people "living" there were homeless not travellers. No lock for the bed room door. I booked a twin rm and got put in a 4 bed dorm with men and woman, that smelt really bad. It's was dirty and staff weren't friendly. I asked for a refund. They didn't refund me for the 1st night. And I'm stink waiting for the rest of the refund for the week. It was a horrible experience :(

• 29th Jun 2014

noisy, dirty, creepy, unfriendly, and far away from downtown. Yes it is about 10 dollar cheaper than some others, but then I have to spend 5-6 dollar for the subway, and1-2 hours on the way.

They serve you what you paid nothing more 'cause it's cheapest hostel in NYC. At first it was quite strange place but you'll get use to it. However, the some of the staff are quite annoying and rude. The other missing point is you probably won't stay in the same bed while your vacation. Even they don't know who is staying in which bed, changed my bed 3 times. Every time I lost one of my clothes,keys something,some were found. So you shouldn't leave your staff on the bed if you're sure to stay.

Still kind of confused why 10$ deposit was not included in the total fee. I have been to a lot of places, this is my first time to see such stupid thing. The house is kind of poor and old, but the atmosphere is OK, as well the stuff there. 15 minutes subway to downtown Manhattan. I give 70 out of 100.

• 26th Jun 2014
  • China

If you are just looking for a cheap stay this is the one for you. I just spent a night there but it's quite worth the money. The average hostel in new york city is about twice of the price.

• 23rd Jun 2014
  • China

If your idea of a hostel involves being in a five by four metre room with six other people, no AC and beds from the local prison then this is for you. Not even enough space to get your bag out with ease, let alone keep any valuables secure. IF The cattle car like accommodation wasn't enough, mix in the one 'bathroom' for around 35 people, complete with giant hole in the ceiling. In fact, our next accommodation, a couple of couch surfers had more toilets per head in their apartment.

Cheapest hostel I could find. I had low expectations and I wasn't disappointed :) Some long-stayers looking for work and a place to live in NYC, which for me, adds to the atmosphere. Don't expect a very professionally run or immaculately clean business and you'll have a good time here.

It's easy to find and people there are nice

• 15th Jun 2014
  • China

Pretty dependable hostel - easy to meet people and socialize here, whereas you also have the option to totally do your own thing. They clean daily and the facilities are decent, nothing nice but just what you need.

• 15th Jun 2014