NYC Summer Dorms Reviews

1 University Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11201, New York, USA

The location is perfect, close to subway station and a walking distance to both Manhattan and Brooklyn bridges. I definitely recommend the place. It worths every penny.

The staff weren't very helpful and insisted we could only check in after a certain time and that we could leave our bags in the hallway with no security. We finally got in the room and the rubbish left by the people before us was still beside the bed. Additionally the mattresses were quite uncomfortable as you could feel the springs and the blinds were broken. The airconditioning was incredibly noisy. The rooms were not at all as pictured as they had 4 beds in a room and they didn't fit well.

The location is excellent and price-wise it is impossible to get a better deal in NYC. But the place is dir-ty, floors are supposedly swept on Thursday (the day I arrived), but piles of hair, food and dust were all over the place. The building security is great with the whole QR code system, but inside the dorms, there's no place to put your valuables cause the safes don't work. Fridges are only available in some rooms and not in others, and that thing downstairs should NOT be called a kitchen.

This reservation was nacelles by the hostel due to overbookings made through third party vendors. I have contacted hostelworld about refunding my deposit and no one has returned a response!!!

• 25th Jun 2015

Everything was dirty all time, especially the bathrooms. Some of the staff wasn't friendly. There is no storage space for luggage.

• 21st Jun 2015
  • Mexico

The dorms are cheap and clean but nothing to shout about - functional and close to the metro. The subway on campus was closed so there really is nothing but a bed - having said that, the price is right and I will return again.

They never asked for my ID when I arrived. If you get there before check-in time, they leave your luggage in the corridor, unattended. There are no lockers to leave your belongings when you go out. They never go inside the rooms to clean it, so if you are unlucky to share the room with someone who's really not into a clean space, like I did, you're in a lot of trouble.

Door lock was broke on our room for the entire stay meaning anyone could simply walk into our room. Internet was poor and the staff gave is terrible advice in regard to where to go to eat.

Great choice if you're just looking for a place to sleep/shower. The price is much better than Manhattan hostels and it's right beside a subway station. There are no lockers, like i expected, so you need to leave your things on the closet with no locks. Overall, good experience

• 12th Jun 2015

A terrible experience. Staff were nice, but often didn't seem to know what they were doing. Beds were very hard, bathroom was unclean and smelt. We were then told we had to move to the Queens campus, which was even worse. Air conditioning in the room was broken and leaked water everywhere, this was not fixed even though staff were aware. We still had to sleep in the room and were even forced to move the mattress onto the floor to avoid the water.

This was the best option in NYC at the tim, these are the dorms for the LIU so facilities were very deteriorated but the staff was nice and location perfect.

The dorms and the restrooms dirty. But cheapest accommodation I found. I liked the location, close to the subway.

• 4th Jun 2015
  • Mexico

We weren't put in a room together which I understand can happen sometimes but the staff were rude and were not helpful at all. We also had to asked for blankets, and were not told the check out time or the code for the bathroom. It was badly organised by the staff but the rooms themselves were fine, big with lots of storage. If you want to be put in a room together email the dorms before hand.

Staff very unorganised, some quite rude, check in process was awful, and appeared there was no system in place, no one knew what they were doing, no kitchen facilities, no lockers, washrooms weren't very clean, wifi terrible. Same view shared amongst most other guests spoken to who were staying there. Only good thing going for it was the price, but would not stay there again.

It was the first few days of the summer hostel - so I am sure the kinks were being worked out. The staff were very friendly, but seemed in a constant state of disarray. The room, bathrooms and common area on our floor were filthy. The room had linen on our beds from the previous occupants and the floor was sticky. The common room literally had bags of garbage piled up in corner of the room. The bathrooms were also very dirty and had cockroaches. Horrible experience.

The dorms were everything we were expecting and actually even better. We are two girls who paid for a shared four female room and were lucky enough to have the room just for the two of us because there were more available rooms in the campus for other visitors. The beds were comfortable and inside the room there was even a microwave and a fridge. We used the microwave and worked perfectly.

Convenient location, near subway and with fast foods around. Subjectively, the beds were decent. It ends there. The management is in chaos. I spent 8 nights, out of which I have been woken up at 8 - 9 a.m. by staff that "must know our name and stuff". Every. Single. Time. Doors are card locked, so do not dare to go to toilet or shower without card. The restrooms are also passcode locked, they implemented qr code entry during my stay, so obviously, it was broken and we had run-ins with security.

I thought the booking in process after arriving was shambolic (stood waiting 45 mins). The bedding was also odd (2 fitted sheets instead of 1 x fitted and 1 x flat sheet). I had brought a cover with me but other guests clearly hadn't. There were suitcases everywhere which was clearly a massive health and safety issue. Also nobody knew the code to get into the restroom/shower area and we where passing this information between ourselves plus the location. Poor planning let you down, sorry.

It felt like prison!! The photos lie, they were not as seen on the page. The rooms were dirty and so were the communal shower room. Guys & Girls can not share dorms. No privacy! Unhygienic & dirt everywhere!! DO NOT STAY HERE Di spite being over the age of 21 no alcohol could be consumed and we were made to check in and out every time we entered/exited the building. Felt like you had no privacy and were constantly under surveillance.

• 27th May 2015

Terrible experience. No organisational skills were displayed by staff. We were even told we could check in at 1pm, but were then messed around and told we weren't able to check in until they messaged us... This turned out to be at 9pm. Absolutely pathetic place to stay.

• 27th May 2015