NYC Summer Dorms Reviews

1 University Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11201, New York, USA

The dorms are pretty good if you wanna save money and get a place to sleep and don't care about anything else. Location is great, subway is right in front of the building, downtown Brooklyn a short walk away, as well as Brooklyn Heights. This isn't really a hostel but more like a dorm, nothing is going on there, it's just a place to sleep, don't expect anything more. They didn't ask for student ID and there are no lockers for luggage.

• 7th Aug 2015
  • Czech Republic

I stayed in this Hostel for three nights and altogether it was ok for the quite cheap price. The rooms were total different to the pictures and not very clean as they are purged only once per week. The washing room wasn't really clean either and only 1 out of 3 showers had warm water. Besides that the price is quite cheap and the security is very high, because it is located on a campus. From the location you can get very fast to Manhattan via Metro which lays directly in front of the campus.

First and foremost, the room I stayed in was incredibly dirty. While I was given clean linens, that's where cleanliness stopped. The common areas where also quite dirty and the bathroom sinks were constantly filled with hair. There was no atmosphere whatsoever as this was a dorm building, much like an apartment. The location was fantastic as it was right on the Q train that was an express to Manhattan, and at roughly $25 a night, you can put up with the short comings for a few days.

You pay for what you get.

Cheap accommodation with people of all lines of work, really strict policies and no communal activists or help with anything but cheap accommodation, right.

Great place for that short getaway to the city. Very accessible to all the hottest places.

• 8th Jul 2015

The shared bathroom is never great, but it was fine using it. The building was secure and close to the subway. You can get to all the great sights in minutes.

• 7th Jul 2015

The location of the hostel and the security were ideal, and for how much it is, you get what you paid for. I did have some problems with the hostel- there wasn't much of an atmosphere in the hostel, which might be because it is also home to students taking summer classes and not just travellers. The wifi was also intermittent- I had to log in repeatedly throughout the day. Towels are not provided, the air con was okay and the linens did not include a comforter or blanket.

It's on a beautiful campus, and there's plenty of lawn to lay out and enjoy the sun. It felt like I was in an Ivy League school, but in reality I was in New York! The location was amazing and convenient. I originally had qualms about staying in Brooklyn, but amazingly it was just one stop to Soho and downtown Manhattan. This place is amazing!

• 6th Jul 2015

Horrible mattress!! They don't clean the showers area.

This was in no way what was expected from the photos! The room I was given had mold along the skirting boards, not one mirror and no functioning blinds so at 5 am we would all be woken up with the sun blinding us. I was given a tiny towel and apparently the laundry facilities had run out of "student cards" so I couldn't even use it and they couldn't advise on the closest laundry mat either. The staff were lovely especially security which was very tight, I did feel safe.

• 2nd Jul 2015

Had a wonderful stay at this place. Rooms are big and clean. There's only one bathroom with 3 showers per floor which can make for some queues, but it wasn't a too long wait. The subway station is right next to it, which is perfect. And the value for money is amazing!

Taking into account that are rooms for 4 people, and additional effort in cleanliness should be done. I did not see any trash basket or where to put the garbage

Absolutely terrible. Nothing like the pictures.

The location is perfect, close to subway station and a walking distance to both Manhattan and Brooklyn bridges. I definitely recommend the place. It worths every penny.

The staff weren't very helpful and insisted we could only check in after a certain time and that we could leave our bags in the hallway with no security. We finally got in the room and the rubbish left by the people before us was still beside the bed. Additionally the mattresses were quite uncomfortable as you could feel the springs and the blinds were broken. The airconditioning was incredibly noisy. The rooms were not at all as pictured as they had 4 beds in a room and they didn't fit well.

The location is excellent and price-wise it is impossible to get a better deal in NYC. But the place is dir-ty, floors are supposedly swept on Thursday (the day I arrived), but piles of hair, food and dust were all over the place. The building security is great with the whole QR code system, but inside the dorms, there's no place to put your valuables cause the safes don't work. Fridges are only available in some rooms and not in others, and that thing downstairs should NOT be called a kitchen.

This reservation was nacelles by the hostel due to overbookings made through third party vendors. I have contacted hostelworld about refunding my deposit and no one has returned a response!!!

• 25th Jun 2015

Nice and safe student dormitories. Located next to subway stop.

I was disappointed with NYC Summer Dorms. My accommodation was nothing like the pictures online and the cleanliness was exceptionally poor. I found the staff to be uninterested at best and rude at worst. For a business that promotes itself to young people undertaking internships I found it unacceptable that NYC Summer Dorms were unable to provide an ironing board and iron. My room was so filthy I checked out early and was told in no uncertain terms that they do not provide refunds.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7