Nagasaki International Hostel AKARI Reviews

2-2 Kojiyamachi, Nagasaki, Japan

Really friendly and extremely helpful staff, made our stay as smooth, straightforward and enjoyable as we could have hoped. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. Will definitely be back to stay again!

Friendly and helpful staff in a great location. What more do you want?

The staff was awesome, really helpfull. Location is great. Almost everthing is in walking distance. If not, the staff will let you know what streetcarnumber you have to take.

The Akari was a wonderful hostel and we were so glad we picked it. The staff were wonderful and helped a lot with great information for sightseeing and gave us a booklet for good discounts in many places. Our room (twin ensuite) was clean and cosy. The facilities were good and we can recommend this hostel very much. Thank you Akari!

The staff is very nice and the location excellent (it's 10 min by walk to go to Chinatown) ; but it's nice to stay only 1 or 2 nights maximum in this hostel because of the comfort... you have to make your bed by yourself and they stop the hot water from 11 pm till 8 am, and when we wanted to take a shower around 8 pm, we had only burning water, but no cold water, so impossible to take a shower except if you want to look like a shrimp... However, the staff was very helpful and kind !!!

• 1st Apr 2014

Great service, the staff helps you with everything. They have maps ready for you of the surrounding areas and make it a pleasant stay. Kitchen very clean and easy to use. Loads of books and even free internet. Amazing stay!

• 26th Mar 2014

Location is easy enough to find. Place is also secure and has great staff. Downside is that the place definitely does feel old, and I found it to be rather dirty, especially the bathrooms. I have allergies and am sensitive to dust and mold, so I definitely noticed. Wifi is only available on first floor, no elevator, have to go around the block to use a drier, etc. Mattresses are uncomfortable and it can be hard to climb into the top bunk as the bed is very close to the wall.

Would have been nice to have wifi up on the 4th floor since it was my only way of contacting home while in japan and sitting halfway down the stairs in my pjs wasn't great. Other than that, brilliant, very helpful staff.

I had a really good time at Akari. The staff helped me find the best restaurants for me in the neighborhood (and since I am vegan, that is a feat), and the location by the river is great. The bed was comfortable, and I like the lounge area and reading room. It is in a central location, which is convenient for going around the city. I was a bit disappointed by the tour, but since that is run by volunteers and not Akari itself I do not think that counts.

I enjoyed overall experience at Hostel Akari. especially security was really good and facility was really great. But one thing that annoyed me was toilet: when i staying at night with my roommates, one of them tried to go toilet and even after she gets back to bed, water flowing sound was remaining about 10minutes. Except that, matress was cozy and happy with nice cool roommates.

• 6th Mar 2014
  • South Korea

I was VERY impressed with this hostel. Firstly, you are not going to find better value for money in Nagasaki, period. For a hostel that is as nice, and well located, their fee is very, very reasonable. Secondly, their staff is extremely obliging. I was impressed right off the bat when entering to find they had rearranged guests so my party could have their own room, which was an unexpected and quite considerate! I HIGHLY recommend this hostel for your stay in Nagasaki

I really enjoyed my stay here, the atmosphere is lovely, all the staff spoke English, which is great because my Japanese is awful, there were computers you could use the internet on and other such facilities. I would definately recommend AKARI to anyone staying in Nagasaki.

• 16th Feb 2014

Ask the owner to host a "Walk with the locals" . . . makes for an exceptional experience, seeing as there is only so much about Japan that you can learn from museums and shrines. Locals commenting on their day-to-day life really made my Nagasaki experience (as we walked through an amazing Lantern Festival).

The direction were a b i had to ask for help, it would be easier is they said the location was close to spectical bridge.

• 5th Feb 2014

This is a great hostel in Nagasaki, the staff were very friendly and helpful. I stayed in a mixed dorm room, the bed was comfortable. The location was also very good, Nagasaki is an easy city to walk around. I only stayed for 1 night, but I would stay here again.

Extremely friendly staff

Great hostel with

Akari was the best hostel I have ever stayed in so far. The only minus point I can think is lacking of Wi-fi on the rooms!

The only thing we missed were a few hooks for towels or clothing in the room. Very friendly staff

• 28th Dec 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

This is honestly the best hostel I`ve ever stayed at. Not only where the rooms clean, spacious and warm, there was also a downstairs lounge/kitchen that had free wifi, computer and tv accompanied by a friendly chilled atmosphere. To top that off the staff were super friendly, kind and helpful and spoke very good english. The cheap bike rentals were a bonus. All this for such a small price, wish we stayed much longer.

• 27th Dec 2013