Nagasaki International Hostel AKARI Reviews

2-2 Kojiyamachi, Nagasaki, Japan

Location is easy enough to find. Place is also secure and has great staff. Downside is that the place definitely does feel old, and I found it to be rather dirty, especially the bathrooms. I have allergies and am sensitive to dust and mold, so I definitely noticed. Wifi is only available on first floor, no elevator, have to go around the block to use a drier, etc. Mattresses are uncomfortable and it can be hard to climb into the top bunk as the bed is very close to the wall.

Would have been nice to have wifi up on the 4th floor since it was my only way of contacting home while in japan and sitting halfway down the stairs in my pjs wasn't great. Other than that, brilliant, very helpful staff.

I had a really good time at Akari. The staff helped me find the best restaurants for me in the neighborhood (and since I am vegan, that is a feat), and the location by the river is great. The bed was comfortable, and I like the lounge area and reading room. It is in a central location, which is convenient for going around the city. I was a bit disappointed by the tour, but since that is run by volunteers and not Akari itself I do not think that counts.

I enjoyed overall experience at Hostel Akari. especially security was really good and facility was really great. But one thing that annoyed me was toilet: when i staying at night with my roommates, one of them tried to go toilet and even after she gets back to bed, water flowing sound was remaining about 10minutes. Except that, matress was cozy and happy with nice cool roommates.

I was VERY impressed with this hostel. Firstly, you are not going to find better value for money in Nagasaki, period. For a hostel that is as nice, and well located, their fee is very, very reasonable. Secondly, their staff is extremely obliging. I was impressed right off the bat when entering to find they had rearranged guests so my party could have their own room, which was an unexpected and quite considerate! I HIGHLY recommend this hostel for your stay in Nagasaki

I really enjoyed my stay here, the atmosphere is lovely, all the staff spoke English, which is great because my Japanese is awful, there were computers you could use the internet on and other such facilities. I would definately recommend AKARI to anyone staying in Nagasaki.

• 16th Feb 2014

Ask the owner to host a "Walk with the locals" . . . makes for an exceptional experience, seeing as there is only so much about Japan that you can learn from museums and shrines. Locals commenting on their day-to-day life really made my Nagasaki experience (as we walked through an amazing Lantern Festival).

The direction were a b i had to ask for help, it would be easier is they said the location was close to spectical bridge.

• 5th Feb 2014

This is a great hostel in Nagasaki, the staff were very friendly and helpful. I stayed in a mixed dorm room, the bed was comfortable. The location was also very good, Nagasaki is an easy city to walk around. I only stayed for 1 night, but I would stay here again.

Extremely friendly staff

Great hostel with

Akari was the best hostel I have ever stayed in so far. The only minus point I can think is lacking of Wi-fi on the rooms!

The only thing we missed were a few hooks for towels or clothing in the room. Very friendly staff

• 28th Dec 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

This is honestly the best hostel I`ve ever stayed at. Not only where the rooms clean, spacious and warm, there was also a downstairs lounge/kitchen that had free wifi, computer and tv accompanied by a friendly chilled atmosphere. To top that off the staff were super friendly, kind and helpful and spoke very good english. The cheap bike rentals were a bonus. All this for such a small price, wish we stayed much longer.

• 27th Dec 2013

Got the twin bunk bed room and it was excellent-- complete with in room bathroom/shower and a small tatami mat sitting area. It felt like I was staying in a quaint hotel. Staff is friendly, helpful, and seems family-run. Rooms and guests were very quiet, and the location is great. Within walking distance of many attractions, or you can opt to buy a day tram pass for 500 yen AT the hostel. Older rooms, but you get a nice sense of 'Japan', and everything is clean. 20 min. walk from train stat

Staff were very friendly and offered good advice

A friendly and helpful guesthouse, located in a beautiful district on the river near temple street and a nearby tram stop. Liked the place, the staff and the people I met. Would definitely stay again. My dorm room was on the top which is a bit of a hike up 4 sets of stairs.

Great location. Close to Spectacles Bridge and the main shopping area. Common area was a bit spartan but that is Japan for you. Would recommend you bring your inside shoes or slippers. the ones the hostel provide are slippery and will fall off your feet when you are walking down the stairs!! LOL

Very comfy beds and friendly staff, go to the cafe they recommend - some of the best sandwiches we've ever had! Oh and ask about the onsen as well.

A pretty nice place, comfortable beds and nice kitchen/rec room areas with free IMAC PCs and WiFi as well.