Nagasaki International Hostel AKARI Reviews

2-2 Kojiyamachi, Nagasaki, Japan

Good location to start your trip from. We had a private. And, unexpected, with our own bathroom.

An amazing experience in Nagasaki, and at Akari Hostel. The staff are super friendly, most speak English, and are very helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations, etc.The building is older but has charm and character, and even pet fish! Private rooms have toilet and bathroom, rooms are secure. The kitchen/lounge is fully equipped and has even a origami crane folding station. Very convenient and scenic location, 5 min away from tram station, and by the river full of koi fish.

• 21st Sep 2013

Staff was so friendly and helpful. Lounge and kitchen also really comfy. The shower fixtures were a little old, but worked well enough, I guess. Having curtains on the bunks would make it easier for other people to sleep while someone reads in bed. Also (someday) having more plugs to recharge keitai, iPad and other electronics would be helpful. But I definitely plan to stay here again!

Very nice hostel, great stuff and nice common room! Highly recommandable!

Lovely how much character the hostel has!

Really lovely hostel, very comfortable, good facilities and the staff were excellent.

Nice place, backpacker atmosphere in a fairly worn house, but the location is pretty good. Kitchen is OK too, and staff are extremely friendly and eager to help! The room I stayed in wad tatami, but with bunks. My only criticism is that they don't provide duvet covers, that just doesn't feel right in a place that is otherwise very clean.

Good value hostel with laid back atmosphere, just like the whole city of Nagasaki. I enjoyed my stay, however I do have a remark: I slept in a top bunk in the 4-bed dorm with AC directly next to me - a bit older model too, meaning it wasn't only blowing directly into me it was also a bit loud. I would stay again, but not in that top bunk bed.

Good: friendly and english-speaking staff, nice kitchen and social area, umbrellas rent for free, good location, map with recommendation in Nagasaki Not so good: wifi is just available in the social area, my room was dark and smelled a little bit

Nice staff but the place needs definitely some renovation.

• 23rd Aug 2013

Great place, lots of space in dorm and bathroom. Staff very friendly and helpful. They looked after bags and provided tourist maps and also a discount card for attractions. Adequate cooking facilities. Wifi available Towel hire 70 yen It is walkable to the train station but probably not with luggage but it's only the 2nd stop on the tram which at 120 yen isn't expensive. On the river so lots of the sights are walkable. A-bomb sights require the tram or with JR rail pass get the train 1 stop

This is a really great hostel, thanks to the staff. Everybody is incredibly friendly and helpful. When I arrived, I received tons of information about Nagasaki, including maps and discount cards. The staff also helped me to book tours. The hostel location is also very convenient, and the facilities inside are spacious and clean

Good location but room is a bit small

Well, we were quite a bit disappointed: our double room was worn down, shower was broken (only boiling hot or ice cold), light was broken. Staff indeed was really friendly. Hot shower only from 8am (well, we had to leave before - so no showering).

it is located a bit far from JR(20min walk) but as the city is small, it is ok. It was the first time i had to due the queue because lack of facilities but i guess for a long stay this hostel is good as it is charming. Staff people are kind.

Enjoyed my stay. Location is a reasonably close walk to restaurants and social areas, and it was a good spot to explore the city from and reach transport.

Nice and clean hostel with good amenities and helpful staff. Location may look like it's slightly off with regards to trains etc but it's actually quite good because communications are good and the area is lovely. Recommended!

Hostel was close to a lot of great temples and shrines and the trolley lines nearby went everywhere you wanted to go. The staff were not only friendly but spoke a high level of English, a rare find in Japan. I only had a few grievances: Because the doors to the bathroom and shower stick it can be quite loud at night so a bit bothersome. The blanket provided was really thin and because the A/C was on I got a bit cold at night. There were no privacy curtains on the beds in the mixed dorms.

• 4th Aug 2013

Dont go if wireless inet is a must cos it didnt reach to the 3rd floor. Staff helpful, rooms clean, beds not the most comfy ones. Old building, smells a bit but okay for few nights.

The location of the hostel is quite close to the JR station. There are some tourist spots near the hostel. The receptionist gave us a discount card and we received discount almost in every spot in Nagasaki!