Nagoya Guesthouse Otohaya Reviews

3-3-2 Meiekiminami Nakamuraku, Nagoya, Japan

The hostel is what you can expect pricewise. The location isn't very good quite frankly for most people, though it was between the station and where I was going. The dormitory was clean, but lacked a bit of privacy that I've come to enjoy from other hostels in Japan from curtains between futons. Staff was nice, but hard to find. Though this felt pretty secure with a lock and lockers to leave things in. All in all, not a bad place if you can endure the walk there.

• 27th Sep 2014

Was an ok stay, although the beds were not comfortable at all, and the rooms lacked privacy. The toilets were of a decent standard but the showers were terrible. As an English speaker, I felt isolated from the rest of the hostel due to the language barrier, obviously no ones fault, but would recommend travelling with someone else if staying at this hostel

It was very clean and nice. I was satisfied. There were travelers and local people in the lobby, so people could communicate, drink, and eat together there. I could meet many nice people even though I've just stayed for a night. Facility was clean, nice shower room, and neat and clean room and beds. I wish they could run the air conditional in the lobby. It was pretty hot in the lobby. Except for that, everything was nice.

Staff were great, pretty mediocre besides that though

Decent location, with a pretty good atmosphere. Very basic though, and some of the rooms are very small.

Not excellent though, the hostel is not as bad as what the other comments found online has stated. The location is not very good but still a walkable one (less than 30 mins from main station). The best thing is that the hostel seems part of the community of the local youth. During dinner time there were some some youth in their twenties dining in the open area. It is therefore a good place to make friends, especially if you know some Japanese.

Great hostel, oozing with character and charm.The staff give 100% and are extremely dedicated to helping out wherever they can.Although the location isn't that good, bikes are available for rent & generally the building itself along with the facilities & cleanliness, make up for it's only downside.I would indeed recommend this place.

A simple and friendly hostel.

I met some great people there who made my stay worth while.. But the hostel is not.. Its not very clean, in the shower rooms it smells like something died and there is no aircon in the rooms.. I wouldnt go back again..

The location is bit far away if you go there from Nagoya station. I had no problem because i'm a Japanese. But if you're foreigh traveller, I recommend you use subway station. Room are OK but bathroom needs maintenance. And, I think front desk should open in morning time. Staff are OK but few of them seems not to speak English very well.

Bedding was a bit old and the room was a bit stuffy.

In a word, the place was fine. It was neither cheap nor exorbitant, filthy nor immaculate, welcoming nor uninviting. The common areas-- people (who may or may not have been guests) were out there partying until very late, which didn't bother my sleep since I was on the top floor, but the secure door was left open so anyone could have come in and taken things. Also, the kitchen commons were used as sleeping quarters for people who couldn't have been paying guests... made me wary about security.

Nice cozy little place. Short walk to the Subway. Kitchen area is basic but usable. wifi was a little slow from dorm room. Well kept and very clean.

Cool design guesthouse and staffs are friendly. The common room was packed as mentioned by other reviews. The kitchen located on the 4th floor has no hot water kettle, I had to make my tea in the 1st floor and brought to the 4th floor kitchen to have my dinner (or the other way round??) I got a bit angry when my clothing came out soaking wet from the washing machine. Which meant it didn't spin properly. I had to squeeze each pieces of clothes by myself manually!! Might as well handwash??

A few problems we encountered while staying at this hostel. - Staff were mostly absent and on a few occasions when we had a question nobody could be found - The bathroom and toilet were ok but had a weird smell to them - Both staff and guests were extremely noisy at all hours. Before a long flight we had to endure an entire night of guests and staff partying and being very loud. Also, the sound of people running up and down the stairs all night would echo into the room due to the wooden steps

• 3rd Apr 2014