Nagoya Guesthouse Otohaya Reviews

3-3-2 Meiekiminami Nakamuraku, Nagoya, Japan

really nice house! had a great Time!

The building was old with creaky wooden floors which would not be a big deal but the bathroom reflected its age. The bathroom was smelly, and I saw a giant cockroach. The sign stated to remove shoes but with no provided slippers they expected me to go to the bathroom barefooted? Wifi signal was weak. Lockers were provided but not free at 100 yen. Overall, it's still inexpensive and I would suck it up and stay there again if they were the only hostel available.

I slept very soundly here, and since it's meant to be a simple place, had no issues with the basic bedding and rested well. However, the bathrooms really bothered me; the toilet smelled like an outhouse and the shower was quite slimy and didn't drain properly. So I wouldn't come back unless it was the only option available -- and I might skip showering rather than do it there. The staff was very nice. If they just took some bleach to the bathrooms, I would quickly recommend it.

• 27th Mar 2015

The hostel is quite a hassle to get to, but if you've got a pocket wifi, it honestly isnt too hard to get to. It has the basic facilities- hot shower, bed in a heated room, hair dryer, lockers etc; some may say that it is not 'clean' but i feel that its less than prim and proper state gives it quite abit of character and it is a good experience for its price and for a night's stay. I quite enjoyed it(:

Unfortunately I cannot recomment the Hostel Otohaya in Nagoya. This is because of the old, dirty and smelly bathroom. You have to be really taff to take a long shower there. Also the kitchen and living area is tiny and dirty. The beds are ok but not very convenient. I think the Hostel was a cool and colourful place some years ago, but now it's just bad.

I stayed in 12 bed female dorm, the share toilet got smell and the bathroom didn't seem so clean...good to just crash for a night.

The friendly, funky hostel vibe cannot hide the fact that this hostel is a dive of last resort. Not all rooms are equally cramped, but I was in a tiny dorm with twelve bunks squeezed in. Located in a desolate area of Nagoya. The bathrooms smell. Worst of all, this is a firetrap, made worse by the fact that hostelers cook on a portable stove using small gas cylinders. The risk is obvious. Nor are your chances very good in case of an earthquake.

Strangest hostel in Japan but not unsafe, no lockers inside the rooms - only in the hallway, strange mix of toilets/ showers randomly on different floors, bathrooms smell, not clean, one bathroom has 3 different toilets (western, squat, urinal) in the same room, beds are just plywood - very uncomfortable, you only get 1 clean sheet and the duvet cover is definitely not washed, the whole building is very old, random chunks of nailed wood holding everything together, floors are super squeaky, dark

Not a good value for money.

• 19th Mar 2015
  • Philippines

I can't recommend this hostel in any way. Facilities were not clean, the staff was rude and very off putting, and the overall vibe just felt off. If you absolutely can't find something, sure it's a bed and a roof over you, but I suggest looking elsewhere.