Nagoya Guesthouse Otohaya Reviews

3-3-2 Meiekiminami Nakamuraku, Nagoya, Japan

The owner is a nice guy. He also kept my lost camera, so I have no problems with his honesty. However, he should spend some money to upgrade the place. Yes, it is a backpacking place, but I still found it on the grimy side. The bathroom stunk and looks impossible to clean properly, since everything is old and grimy. Likewise, the bunk areas aren't much better. They could use heavy curtains, too. The shower room was much better, though low water flow was a problem.

Not tidy enough. Very far away from Nagoya JR Station. A dead Mickey mouse appeared, so weird. Won't come anymore.

• 1st Nov 2014
  • Hong Kong

This hostel has a great atmosphere. In the small shared lounge travellers come together. Its a great place for meeting other travellers. During my stay there was an excellent mixure of foreign and japanese people. At my first night there i already was asked by japanese visitors to join them to grap some dinner and a drink in the city. And when i got sick and needed to go to the hospital, one of the staff member was so kindfull and helpfull to join me during my short stay there!

Staff were friendly enough, and room was as expected for a basic hostel. Showers were smelly, hot water was rare, and generally the place could do with some attention. This was the first hostel we stayed at in Japan, but now we have stayed in others we realise there are better places for similar money. The location suited us very well.

Positive: Good location, met some interesting people in the common area. Negative: Very creaky floors so if you're a light sleeper don't stay here. The shower rooms aren't the best either and the toilets on the first floor smell really bad. Small common area.

The hostel is what you can expect pricewise. The location isn't very good quite frankly for most people, though it was between the station and where I was going. The dormitory was clean, but lacked a bit of privacy that I've come to enjoy from other hostels in Japan from curtains between futons. Staff was nice, but hard to find. Though this felt pretty secure with a lock and lockers to leave things in. All in all, not a bad place if you can endure the walk there.

• 27th Sep 2014

Was an ok stay, although the beds were not comfortable at all, and the rooms lacked privacy. The toilets were of a decent standard but the showers were terrible. As an English speaker, I felt isolated from the rest of the hostel due to the language barrier, obviously no ones fault, but would recommend travelling with someone else if staying at this hostel

It was very clean and nice. I was satisfied. There were travelers and local people in the lobby, so people could communicate, drink, and eat together there. I could meet many nice people even though I've just stayed for a night. Facility was clean, nice shower room, and neat and clean room and beds. I wish they could run the air conditional in the lobby. It was pretty hot in the lobby. Except for that, everything was nice.

Staff were great, pretty mediocre besides that though

Decent location, with a pretty good atmosphere. Very basic though, and some of the rooms are very small.

Cool hostel, had a hippie vibe to it. The common area was a great place to hang out and meet people. The staff didn't speak English too well and they didn't really have maps or a lot of information about the city. I enjoyed my stay.

Not excellent though, the hostel is not as bad as what the other comments found online has stated. The location is not very good but still a walkable one (less than 30 mins from main station). The best thing is that the hostel seems part of the community of the local youth. During dinner time there were some some youth in their twenties dining in the open area. It is therefore a good place to make friends, especially if you know some Japanese.

Great hostel, oozing with character and charm.The staff give 100% and are extremely dedicated to helping out wherever they can.Although the location isn't that good, bikes are available for rent & generally the building itself along with the facilities & cleanliness, make up for it's only downside.I would indeed recommend this place.