Nagoya Guesthouse Otohaya Reviews

3-3-2 Meiekiminami Nakamuraku, Nagoya, Japan

I really liked this hostel. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. It was an easy 15 minute walk from Nagoya station. The staff were really friendly and were always ready to help us if we had any questions or needed anything. The hostel was decorated really nicely and we were given plenty of warm bedding for our stay. We had no problem with hot water in the showers like we were worried about after reading the reviews. It was a really cool place to stay and I'd stay there again.

• 10th Jan 2015

It's not too easy to locate if your sense of direction is as bad as ours, but the place is recognizable after you see it. The person who runs the guesthouse is meticulous and spent time ensuring every guest knew how the different facilities worked. The hot shower was awesome, especially in the winter season we visited. The housekeeping guy who came in next day was really sweet and helped us get information about our next location while we were waiting for someone to finish packing.

The owner was not at the reception most of the time and since I did not have a Japanese mobile there was no way to contact him. Uppon meeting him he was very nice and helpful though. The facilities are beautifully decorated but it is visible that the building itself is very old and some more renovation work is needed.

The owner is a nice guy. He also kept my lost camera, so I have no problems with his honesty. However, he should spend some money to upgrade the place. Yes, it is a backpacking place, but I still found it on the grimy side. The bathroom stunk and looks impossible to clean properly, since everything is old and grimy. Likewise, the bunk areas aren't much better. They could use heavy curtains, too. The shower room was much better, though low water flow was a problem.

Not tidy enough. Very far away from Nagoya JR Station. A dead Mickey mouse appeared, so weird. Won't come anymore.

• 1st Nov 2014
  • Hong Kong

This hostel has a great atmosphere. In the small shared lounge travellers come together. Its a great place for meeting other travellers. During my stay there was an excellent mixure of foreign and japanese people. At my first night there i already was asked by japanese visitors to join them to grap some dinner and a drink in the city. And when i got sick and needed to go to the hospital, one of the staff member was so kindfull and helpfull to join me during my short stay there!

Staff were friendly enough, and room was as expected for a basic hostel. Showers were smelly, hot water was rare, and generally the place could do with some attention. This was the first hostel we stayed at in Japan, but now we have stayed in others we realise there are better places for similar money. The location suited us very well.

Positive: Good location, met some interesting people in the common area. Negative: Very creaky floors so if you're a light sleeper don't stay here. The shower rooms aren't the best either and the toilets on the first floor smell really bad. Small common area.

The hostel is what you can expect pricewise. The location isn't very good quite frankly for most people, though it was between the station and where I was going. The dormitory was clean, but lacked a bit of privacy that I've come to enjoy from other hostels in Japan from curtains between futons. Staff was nice, but hard to find. Though this felt pretty secure with a lock and lockers to leave things in. All in all, not a bad place if you can endure the walk there.

• 27th Sep 2014

Was an ok stay, although the beds were not comfortable at all, and the rooms lacked privacy. The toilets were of a decent standard but the showers were terrible. As an English speaker, I felt isolated from the rest of the hostel due to the language barrier, obviously no ones fault, but would recommend travelling with someone else if staying at this hostel