Nagoya Guesthouse Otohaya Reviews

3-3-2 Meiekiminami Nakamuraku, Nagoya, Japan

Cool design guesthouse and staffs are friendly. The common room was packed as mentioned by other reviews. The kitchen located on the 4th floor has no hot water kettle, I had to make my tea in the 1st floor and brought to the 4th floor kitchen to have my dinner (or the other way round??) I got a bit angry when my clothing came out soaking wet from the washing machine. Which meant it didn't spin properly. I had to squeeze each pieces of clothes by myself manually!! Might as well handwash??

A few problems we encountered while staying at this hostel. - Staff were mostly absent and on a few occasions when we had a question nobody could be found - The bathroom and toilet were ok but had a weird smell to them - Both staff and guests were extremely noisy at all hours. Before a long flight we had to endure an entire night of guests and staff partying and being very loud. Also, the sound of people running up and down the stairs all night would echo into the room due to the wooden steps

• 3rd Apr 2014

Nice location in Nagoya, which is near the subway station. The owner is very nice, fun and friendly! The concept of no any TV in guest rooms and living room is really reasonable if you want to enjoy yourself, talk together, and have new friends. I had lots of fun and good memory here. So comfortable and relax like home. Especially, if you are the person who'd like to learn more Japanese language and people, this place is suitable for you.

This is a hostel for Japanese/ Japanese speaking people. I was staying there for a weekend and I was the only English speaking/ non Asian dude in the hostel. Also, they have a tiny common room that is always populated by the family.

Friendly staff. I wouldn't call the place charming, but it definitely had character, and its entirely own style. There was a broken window in the dormitory I slept in, which made the room freezing. Had to sleep with my clothes on. Osu kannon station is not far away, but from osu kannon you have to make a transit in Fushimi in order to get to Nagoya station, which was a little irritating. It wasn't the best of hostels, but I wouldn't mind staying there again.

Poor directions getting there - make sure you have the address in japanese if you're getting a cab or its pretty easy to walk from the station, takes about 20 minutes. Staff were not very friendly, there seemed to be a family staying who took up the whole, very small, common room. And as they didn't allow you to eat in the room this was a little awkward as we felt like we were interrupting a family meal. Glad we only stayed one night, the beds were good and the house itself is pretty cute.

I don't like the toilet and the bed room (female dorm) is kinda poor....

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Indonesia

I loved it!

• 28th Oct 2013
  • Belgium

Excellent helpful & friendly staff... thanks!