New Backpackers Reviews

Akbiyik caddesi. No:20/1Sultanahmet, Istanbul, Turkey

We were 6 South African girls staying in the New Backpackers a few weeks ago - we had a lovely time and found everything excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. Yusef is the heart and soul of this vibrant hostel and restaurant and were always welcoming us so friendly when we were out. Whenever we had a problem, he was always there to quickly sort it out for us. Their food is excellent and it was nice to stay in the centre of the vibe.

Bring your earplugs this area is LOUD!!! I would recommend staying a few blocks in any directions from this hotel. This location is TOO noisy. There is club music from several establishments until 2-3am every night. The hotel itself is actually pretty quiet, but just in a really noisy area. The people that run this place are sort of strange and not overly friendly. Price was good, but you'll want a good night's sleep after seeing the sights in Istanbul.

• 28th Sep 2014

We were a group of 6 women 30+ to 50+.The staff mostly pleasant and obliging. I must mention Jusef ,especially. He MADE my stay , was respectful , kind ,thoughtful , ALWAYS pleasant . More attention paid to "housekeeping " .Not necessary to ask for toilet paper when you book into room for first time . I know it is a backpackers but a gradual update on the curtaining , bedlinen ,provision of blankets would be a +.Hakan most helpful with organising transport and the local haman.

The hostel is at walking distance from Topkapi, Agia Sophia, Blue Mosque and so on. It's located on a very noisy street so keep that in mind if you're planning to go to bed before 2AM. The room was small but clean. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful.

Hostel is great. Our room was clean and big. The location is excellent, you are located only a few minutes of walk from Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and Cistern Basilica. The staff is friendly and helpfull. Down stairs is a great restaurant wih excellent food. I would stay here again.

the hostel is in a really good location, five minutes walking to the blue mosque and well connected to reach every area of Istanbul. Clean, kind and friendly staff, helpful and nice people. It's perfect to spend one week in a great city like Istanbul

• 7th Sep 2014

The staff were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was OK. The dormitory (in the basement) was actually quieter than I expected despite the variety of music happening at street level. The shower was good but it wasn't kept very clean. The Wifi signal was poor most of the time - I understand this is common. Overall I had a pleasant stay but not exceptional. I guess you get what you pay for.

A brilliant little hostel with extremely friendly staff, delicious food and an amazing location. We stayed for four nights and couldn't have been happier with our choice.

• 24th Aug 2014
  • South Africa

I absolutely recommend this hostel for its excellent location, friendly staff, good food and lively atmosphere, but I suggest to bring the bedsheets (and maybe even the towels) from home because ours, though they clearly had been washed, had permanent stains.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Friendly staff and good location. Free breakfast was nice. They didn't answer my e-mail-request for a airport transfer so I had to phone them to confirm. The dorm downstairs smelled like cave and was quite humid.

The breakfast was a bit small, and the room directly above the bar is loud at night, but has WiFi. The staff are friendly, and the room was well furnished. Good value for your money.

The location is brilliant, easy walking distance to most attractions and transport links. Staff are friendly and helpful but owner of attached cafe really pressures you to eat or drink there every time you arrive/get back. Wifi works in restaurant but not at all in rooms. There is no kitchen and no common area other than the restaurant. Easy to find but look for siva cafe as no backpackers sign. Don't pay 25 euro for a airport transfer either places nearby have them for 4 or 5 euro.

perfect place to stay

it was a bit difficult to found it at the beginning, bur once we found it we had no problem at all with the location of this hostel. next to this hostel there's a restaurant that is administered by the same owners of the hostel which is a 24 hr restaurant therefore there is always a staff member if you need anything.

Nice atmosphere, kind people

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Uruguay

ARKAN, the person in charge is not so friendly. Not so much security regarding our personal information. For example, the personal information about our names , date of birth, passport number,etc was left on the folder next to the computer. Some one could use this information or misuse this information if it falls in the wrong hands

New Backpackers is located above Silva cafe, and is located a 5-10 min away from the main tourists spots. The neighbourhood is safe and i walked home at 4-5am without any safety concerns. The staff is friendly and will assist with any questions. The atmosphere is more like a hotel vs. hostel, the common hangout area is located within Silva cafe, its relatively loud but the internet works well there. I had a individual room + bathroom + AC. The AC was COLD and appreciated in the hot Istanbul days

• 5th Jun 2014