New Mansion House Reviews

38-40 Lancaster Gate, London, England

good location, breakfast and dinner are o.k., few showers and some of them don't work - but it is o.k. for that price

Cheap in a great location, near Hyde Park but not on the main road so quiet, free wi-fi, free breakfast and dinners, clean, bathrooms spacious and plenty. The house has 4 floors and no elevator so prepare to carry your luggage. The only negative is the atmosphere, if you aren't staying in a couple or with friends it can feel quite isolated. The hostel has a lot of long-term staying people who tend to ignore normal tourists. Didn't see any common room to hang out in. Otherwise highly recommended!

Food was tasty and reasonable quality. Many thanks.

Very nice location, close to the underground (and Hyde Park) but not on the main street so not noisy, nice staff, free wi-fi, offers breakfast and dinners for free. The only disadvantage for me: check-in only from 2 pm but maybe possible to come earlier, I didn't check.

Very dirty rooms (looked like never cleaned) but the staff were very helpful and the location is simply perfect!

Cooked breakfast on the Saturday was a great touch and will definitely make me want to stay again!

Not very clean (clogged toilet, stained pillow and matress although of course you get clean sheets etc) BUT was exactly what I paid for and expected. I would recommend this hostel to anyone who is looking for a place that's cheap but has a great location (Hyde Park is literally a minute away). Will probably visit again!

• 3rd Jul 2014
  • Belgium

Pay attention to the negative reviews, because they are true. I booked a twin private room, Lancaster Gate is lovely, but the hostel, not so much. The room was dirty, not vacuumed well so the carpet was full of dust, especially around the beds and tables. The room overall had no good atmosphere, it looked like a prison cell (no joke). Facilities like the shower and toilets were dirty as well. The toilets were never flushed, you'd encounter someone else's mess. Had gum stuck on my duvet.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Iran

Somewhere to chill and making a hot drink

Lovely neighborhood, close to reach local public transportation to center, meals are nice, WiFi connection available - but the cleanliness is not their main valor, rooms are dusty, sheets are still with stains after washing (it wouldn't mind to wash pillows and stuffing!)

• 23rd Jun 2014
  • Croatia

nice building and location, but the long term people staying in the dorms "own" the place and it's a shame.

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights to explore London, first impressions were YUCK! The staff were friendly but once I saw the room I felt sick, it had not been vacuumed for what looked like a whole year, thick dirt

• 21st Jun 2014

Excellent location in attractive quiet square.Meals a real bonus ,well cooked and large portions.Rooms were so so but I wasnt expecting to be living in the lap of luxury at this price.Overall would recommend to others.

When we arrived at New Mansion House, there was no staff in reception. He then appeared and told us to wait because he had something more important to do. We got very bad vibes from this place so we asked to see the rooms before we payed. The room was filthy dirty with rotting sheets and dirt all over the floor. We refused to stay in these conditions, so we left and had to find other accommodation. Would not recommend this place to my worst enemy!

• 9th Jun 2014

I was perfectly satisfied with my stay. The staff was friendly, the place was clean. I don't have any remarks! Will definitely come back.

• 7th Jun 2014
  • Serbia

Fantastic location and very, very cheap - £30 for a single room on a Saturday. Can't expect much more than a bed and a roof at that price - breakfast is provided but I had to check out before it was served. Bedding is thin and cheap and the rooms are basic but functional - there is TV and there is plenty storage space. Reminded me of my university halls of residence. If you need somewhere to stay in Central London and are on a tight budget then this is a useful option to have.

• 7th Jun 2014

good location, near the Lancaster Gate tube station, easy to travel to the key places in London, both dinner and breakfast are included! And there's even TV set in the room! The staff are very helpful because i left my makeup case in the room and they kept that for me for 2 days, which I really appreciated !!!

Great vibe, great people, nice place to stay, close to public transport. Comes with free simple breakfast and free dinner. Definitely value for money. Only problems are wifi is restricted to fist 2 levels and showers could be better.

30 pounds for the key deposit WTF !?!?! apart from that is a average hostel. Dinner quite good but breakfast very poor. There's also a lot of people living there permanently and they are very unfriendly. I was with a group of friend so I didn't mind but I you want to go alone and meet people there this is not the place. Also there's no wifi in the rooms!!!!!

Thank you for your comments.Please be aware that you have a choice as key deposit: ID, passport, driving licence or £30. Many people have no problem with this, and we always make sure to return it on departure. There is wifi in the common rooms (reception, dining room, study room and laundry) and a cable connection in the room, soon there will be wifi in the whole building. We do have 2 different prices depending on the lentgh of stay, I think it is a good sign if people choose to stay longer.

An excellent value hostel for the location and the meals that are included in with the price. You could quite easily pay a lot more and get much less for your money in London. The only suggestion that could improve the Hostel would be to have Hand-drying facilities in toilets and better ventilation in dorms as it was too hot to sleep. Other than this, I would highly recommend it.

Dear, Thank you for your comments. We will certainly consider your suggestions regarding hand drying facilities and ventilation issues in our dorms, specially during summer time. Regards,