New Wave Rio Reviews

Travessa Cristiano Lacorte, Casa 46, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The location is good near Copacabana beach. That's the only reason to stay in this hostel. The staff was unfriendly, rooms were dark and unclean and full of stuff that didn't seem to belong to anyone. Wifi barely works. The craziest thing in this hostel was that there were enough toilets and showers but they like to make things a bit more complicated. Every room had only one shower and toilet at toilet/shower area and they were locked. So to get shower, you had to go to reception and ask key.

Terrible, very unhygienic . There was no ventilation, the air was thick with mold, staff were terribly unfriendly and unwelcoming! The hostel ruined my Copabanna experience for me. Very disappointed.

Way overpriced, basically only paying to have a Roof over head near the beach... Cleanliness of the place is nasty, bathroom is one little room with 3 different doors and inside each door a toilet and a shower, very small space, needless to say unsanitary and disgusting. 'Kitchen' is unusable only fridge as storage,, cant even take a cup because the ogre lady/owner/manager will get mad. Staff is unhelpful and not friendly, same latin lady that runs the place is mean. Beds horrible to sleep on.

Wifi here would cut in and out all the time. Being on my own it was also very hard to meet people as there was no atmosphere. Toilet facilities were cleaned daily but were in a very poor state. I would recommend this only for a quick one night stay. Was way overpriced even for the World Cup but that's Rio. The big positive is it is very close to Copacobana beach and not too far from Ipanema as well.

Dirtiest, most vile place I've stayed. Front desk is not helpful and there is no atmosphere. Great location to take in the World Cup but that is all. Stay here if you like bed bugs and mold.

Nice staff. Didn't speak much English but we're helpful and friendly in Spanish. Nothing to brag about but the Place got the job done.

This building with rooms should not be run as a hostel. Too many beds were packed into each room, the staff was unfriendly, the rooms were uncomfortably hot, the facilities were dirty, and the only fire exit out of the entire place was the front entrance which is gated and can only be opened by a button controlled by the receptionist. If there is a fire, people could die because so many people are packed into this building and there is only one fire exit.

The window in our private room had been ripped open so the lock and window frame was all busted and the window wouldn't close and there was workers walking around right next to it but they wouldnt move us. Toilet sink and shower was in the same cubicle and really small. Staff dont speak english but good location right in copacobana near the beach

We stayed for 4 nights during the world cup, the staff spoke no english and tried to move us into a different room every night. The bunk beds rattled, the bathrooms and showers were poor and wifi was very slow.

I have physical scars to remind me of the horrible days I spent at this place. It was filled with bugs, the sheets were disgusting, and I somehow felt dirtier after showering than I did before. Fans were weak even for winter, I cannot imagine what summer feels like. The staff was always in a bad mood, regardless of what language I greeted them in. The location was the one silver lining - walking distance to the beach and restaurants, but near a favela (which they obviously failed to mention).

• 7th Jun 2014

This was the most miserable hostel stay I have ever had. We found multiple cockroaches (some dead, some alive) around the hostel. The owner was a bitter, mean lady who never smiled at us once. The bathrooms are broken, disgusting, and unclean. Our lockers were bashed in, in attempt for someone to steal something. This place needs to do Rio a favor and go out of business as soon as possible.

The hostel is a bit creepy, it looks more like a motel from the 80s than a hostel. The staff doesnt speak english and the breakfast is poor. There is no atmosphere!

The hostel was filthy. Bed sheets were never changed. The toilet was filthy and the shower was inside the toilet cubicle! The staff never cleaned and only spoke about payments. I saw them mixing hand wash with water so they didn't have to replace products. The beds are so old and covered in bed bugs. Sheets are stained and filled with holes. The only positive thing i can think of is the location. Metro and beach is two blocks away. So you are able to escape the hostel as and when is necessary!

• 8th May 2014

The location is great, near the beach of Copacabana. We stay one night and we didn t have hot water this day. The room are a bit packed with lot of people and not a lot.of free space for the luggage but it was ok for a.short stay. Otherwise nreakfast was nice and there are lockers for the

• 1st May 2014

The place is alright: The location is excellent and that is what counts. Your are very close to the beach in Copacabana and the Metro is close-by as well. The neighborhood is secure.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels