New York Budget Inn Reviews

200 East 34th St., New York, New York, USA

I was at the end of a RTW trip, having travelled through 19 countries and this is the worst hostel I have had the misfortune of staying in considering the price. The dorms are cramped and the bunk beds so low that you can't sit up in them, and they don't other to provide simple things like reading lights. There's also no lounge space or kitchen, so there is nowhere to hang out. The wifi is really bad and when I complained one member of staff was obnoxious to me. Really don't recommend!

Thank you for your review. We apologize you had a negative stay with us. As manhattan can be a bit tight, we do provide a desk, lamp, microwave and refrigerator in our shared rooms with almost 11 ft ceiling heights. As we provide free wifi, we maximize the bandwidth by dividing the routers per floor, perhaps you were not connected to the appropriate router. We pride our self on great customer service as is evident in almost every other review.

I highly recommend this hostal, if u wanna travel and save money in a city where you are out of your room all day. Staff is very friendly and the place is overall clean and well located.

• 10th Nov 2013
  • Mexico

I had a really fantastic stay that the Budget inn hostel. Where i was traveling alone, it was really important to me to find a place in a safe area of manhattan, where i felt secure walking the streets, and leaving my belonging behind at the hostel for the day. The budget inn was very affordable, i had great roommates, and the staff was incredibly helpful, thoughtful and inviting. The bathrooms and bedroom was very clean. I would stay there again in a minute.

Excellent value for money. You're paying for a hostel and that was you get, but its one of better ones. Its clean and easy to get to. Towel and slippers supplied which is a nice bonus. I will recommend it.

Nice place with a cool atmosphere.

Very friendly staff. Staff always have a smile and try to help in whatever they can.

• 2nd Nov 2013
  • Panama

Very clean and great location. You can see the empire state building right across the street. The bathroom although is shared, if you find one available you have it all for yourself (shower and WC). Very clean too. Only downer is the noise. Very noisy street and window has A/C so you cant shut the noise completely. But you are in NYC so it's supposed to be noisy.

(+) Staff is great, location is good (-) Common area is very tiny. Breakfast is included but they serve it on a tiny table next to their street door. There is no lift (Building is 5 story). I was sleeping on the upper bunk bed and somehow it was the modt difficult one to climb on it. (The lower bed was empty but they didn't change my bed. Other people I met was also complaing that it is really difficult to climb on it) This is a place that I will not stay again. Attention: Tax is not included to

Thank you for your review. Please note that we Di not serve breakfast. We offer complimentary Dunkin Donuts & Coffee with fruit located at the entrance for guests to enjoy prior to embarking on their exploration of NYC. As we do not have an elevator we assist all guests with their luggage both up and down our facility. All of our bunkbeds are catered to adults and have ladders on either side of it to climb up. As stipulated on our website and those affiliated, taxes are not included.

We really enjoyed our stay at the budget inn but it was getting chilly in the room and the heating was not working. I had to go to the lobby almost every evening. The heating was always working when I asked to put it on again. We stayed at the 5th floor and that was too high for my mother because of the stairs. No elevator :( The location of the hotel was really excellent and I'm definitely coming back!! Only fix the heating system!

• 1st Nov 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff at the front desk.

• 1st Nov 2013

Can't fault this Hostel. Great location, great staff and a great stay. Room (3 person) was quite basic but was perfect for a place to sleep

• 31st Oct 2013

The reception staff were very unprofessional, joking around and not paying much attention. They even asked for my opinion in an argument they were having!! I was shown to my "room". I use the term room loosely as I have seen bigger cupboards. To be honest, I wouldn't have minded the size if the smell wasn't so bad. I could describe it as foistiness, urine and smelly feet. It was awful. I hardly slept because of people shouting and banging doors all night. The bathrooms were also dirty

• 31st Oct 2013

Thank you for your review. As staff in the best hostel in New York, we try our best to engage all of our guests to enhance their stay with us. We deodorize our carpets 4 days a week and vacuum daily. We do this because we try to maintain a high standard of cleanliness and we know that many of our guests travel for weeks on end without having a chance to clean their cloths. Perhaps such is the case with your prior room. We will look into this matter further.

I loved this place. It was like staying with long time friends. I'd come to NY just to visit the guys. They were friendly and respectful. I felt like they were looking out for my best interest. Only suggestion would be to raise the bunk beds so that larger suitcases can easily slide underneath and increase the distance between the top and lower bunk. I'm short and couldn't sit-up without bumping my head. Loved the water bottle fountain.

One of the best hostel i ve ever stayed in!! it s absolutely clean! the stuff was awesome! Always nice and helpful. you ve got everything you need. the neighbourhood is very good.the next subway (green line) is 3 blocks away (5 ins walk). it s true that you can hear the city in your room, but thats NYC and it didnt bother me at all. I ve been a couple of times to NYC, always in different hostel, but this was definitely the best one. For NYC the price is quite ok. i would always stay there again!

more shower's are needed per level. Or even an indication of whether its occupied or not.

We enjoyed our stay very much. Everybody was very friendly and helpful ( especially Nancy at the reception). Thank you for making our holidays a great one. We'll be back next time. Keep up the good vibe!

• 30th Oct 2013

Pros: -Nice location -Good price -Room and Atmosphere were good Cons: -No elevator -Bed uncomfortable -You need to replace the towels yourself in the reception

• Argentina

Prefect location to all the tourist attractions and local subway station. Its very noisy as its on a main road but since its close to everything it didnt really matter. There are a few social nights with pizza and drinks as there is nowhere to prepare your own food. Rooms are made up every day and they supply you with slippers and toiletries.

• 30th Oct 2013

a really good no frills place to stay and a great location.

I am sorry to say it may be the worst hostel I have ever stayed....no more comments...thank you....please forgive me saying the truth...

• 30th Oct 2013

Thank you for your review. As we pride ourselves on continuing to always improve, we utilize these reviews to better ourselves. Please feel free to address any and all issues you may have had. We noticed you stayed in our 4 bed Shared Dorm Ensuite, was there any issues with other guests? Please share?