New York Budget Inn Reviews

200 East 34th St., New York, New York, USA

very unfriendly staff, no hello or good morning. not really good atmosphere. but the place is good cause of the great location and it's easy to connect to the subway.

Hostel had many great qualities. There were enough restrooms and showers on every floor, so there was hardly ever any line for them. Microwave and a fridge in our (private twin) room were also a nice surprise and the free Wi-Fi worked perfect. However, the indoor air quality was very poor. The room got very stuffy immediately after we turned off the AC and it wasn't convenient to keep it on all the time, mainly because it was very loud.

• 9th Oct 2013
  • Finland

Absolutely loved staying here with my mates while we're staying in America. New York started our 4 week adventure off, the budget inn was brilliant. Location is second to none! Same street as Empire State and located on a really busy and vibrant strip of bars. We just wanted a room to set up camp to go out and enjoy the city, we got exactly this. Room was cleaned and beds made each day, shared showers and toilets a are little annoying when getting ready in peak hours, but overall excellent!

The hostel was clean, staff were helpful, but that was about the best thing. Tiny dorms, one power outlet in the room which powered the fridge and aircon so it was hard to charge your things - that sort of stuff makes a big difference to your stay these days. The place had zero character and no common area, which I guess makes sense because it is an "Inn" not a hostel. I didn't really like that area of midtown - not a lot going on round there. It really was just a place to stay.

Thank you for your review! Each room has 2 seprare outlets and at least 1 of the 2 outlets has a 6 prong add on. It is very important, that's why when the building was renovated, we made sure of it. I'm not sure if you had a chance to see the local area but other then the many attractions like the empire state building (2 blocks away) all of 34th st., times square (less then a 10 min walk), grand central, the crysler building...there are many great restaurants and pubs.

Very good place to stay.Fine atmosfere. Lovely place to stay.Nice staff and people helping you.I feel welcom.

It's a nice location surrounded by cool bars and restaurants. I'd just like to grab a few drinks at the end of a day of touring and stumble around the corner to the hostel so this is perfect. I like to walk in NYC, so places of interest like Times Square and Soho might be too far away. Thankfully the hostel is situated near the subway. Prices are relatively cheap for a place located in NYC. Conditions of the room really depends on the cleanliness of your roommates, so YMMV.

Thank you for you great review! However, based on you great review we would have appreciated a higher score.

This was exactly what we needed for our stay in Manhatten. A comfy bed in a superb location. Times Square, The Empire State building, Grand Central Station, the Chrysler building, Union Square and the Flat Iron building are all well within walking distance. As well as countless restaurants and bars to cover all budgets (may I recommend the rooftop bar at the top of The Strand hotel for an incredible view of Manhatten). I wouldn't hesitate in staying here again.

• 8th Oct 2013

Great location, friendly and helpful staff, clean room and bathrooms, plenty bathrooms on each floor. Will definitely stay here again.

Very clean hostel with good and friendly staff! Not so far from the subway station (5-10 minutes walking), and this is a good location (safe area even if you're a woman who travels alone). You have to pay a little fee if you want to leave your bags before the check in time or after check out, but this is more or less the same thing in all the hostels in New York! Free coffee and donuts every mornings, + a little gift upon arrival, thank you New York Budget Inn! Would definitely recommend!

• 7th Oct 2013

The room met my excpectations, it was nice and clean. The only problem was an awful noise froim the aircondition engines outside the window, i couldn't sleep because of that white noise!

• Israel

This was my second stay at New York Budget Inn, and I enjoyed it even more than the first time. I had a room with a window facing the street, which provided better lighting than my previous room (facing a wall). The water bottle system is pretty neat. I have already recommended this hostel to 3 friends.

• 6th Oct 2013

Rooms tiny and entrance stairways unsafe but overall great value for money. We found the staff really helpful and friendly, the atmosphere very welcoming, the location good getting to galleries, empire state etc and the cafes around friendly and buzzy.

• Couple, 41+

Nice surroundings and fine to be on the 34th, even being quite a walk away from MAcys and others importante places.... Subway nearby and everything is fine! Very welcoming staff...

Fabulous, happy atmosphere :) I strongly recommend this place!

• Sweden

I have already sent a postcard to the Hostel thanking them for making our stay so good. The staff were so friendly and everyone went out of their way to be helpful.The area was good,lots of diners and restaurants and it was nice that it was a residential area too.It was very convenient for getting around-near to Subway and Buses. But most of all the staff made our holiday fun and special.

• Couple, 41+

Staff very friendly....room and bathrooms very clean

Very Nice hostel with many Nice surprices such as free coffee, apples and wifi. The only ting that we would have preferred to know before arriving was the tax amount that costs us nearly 100 dollars in total for 4 nights and we couldn't see that amount anywhere on the booking so we didn't know that would be added to our bill... Other than that is was a very positive experience and the staff were great :-)

• Denmark

Thank you for you comment. We are sorry you did not notice the New York City taxes. All hostels and hotels in New York City must collect it. Its the LAW. The taxes are clearly shown on our website and on WRI.

Very clean, great location! Would stay there again

Very Nice staff and location! I love it!!

• 4th Oct 2013

1. Budget Inn's location is excellent, but it's very noisy outside at late night except Sunday. 2. Though the staff are friendly, they process the checking-in procedure differently. 3. Can't be sure the bed linens changed by travelers, and sometimes the room has odd smell. 4. They supply boiled water only on traveler's ask.

Thank you for your review Check-in is at 3pm. If the room is available earlier we try to accommodate our guest by getting them into the room sooner. We have daily housekeeping that change the linen daily, clean rooms and vacuum & deodorize all rooms. We noticed that you booked a dorm room and perhaps a guest in the room had an odor. We try to accommodate all of our guests to the best we possibly can, inclusive of hot water.