New York Budget Inn Reviews

200 East 34th St., New York, USA

Clean place in a good location, however expensive for a hostel and lacking any atmosphere.

Thank you for your kind review. However you should be aware we are one of the most reasonably priced lodgings, in New York City.

The location is excellent and the ratio value for money is very good for New York standards. The hostel was very clean and the staff more than friendly, always ready to help. My only minor complain is that the showers weren't good. But apart from that I had a great time during my stay here

Everything was great except the fact that the wifi signal wasn't good inside the room.

• 16th Sep 2015

The staff was amazing, incredibly helpful, and friendly. I loved karaoke night but wish I had know about the nightly pub crawl.

• 15th Sep 2015

We had a great stay in New York and we enjoyed the stay in your Hostel as well. Great team! Thanks a lot!

• 15th Sep 2015

I was initially nervous about staying here, first hostel I've tried, but this place is fantastic. Location excellent for either walks to local shops, restaurants and bars also close to the underground which is a cheap and fairly easy way to travel around (avoid rush hour, crazy how many people shove their way in!) Cleanliness is good, the bathrooms were always clean, bed linen also nice and clean. Bed comfy enough and the microwave and fridge were very helpful to have in the room, very happy.

Overall a great place to stay - great location, friendly & helpful staff, and clean. A bit noisy but that's to be expected in Manhattan, and the positives definitely make up for it.

Really clean, location is close to subway and the staff were very helpful.

I spent only one night there. My room was facing a very busy crossing, so it was very loud. The air conditioning in the room was very loud also. You have to pay $5 for luggage storage after you check out - which I thought was quite unnecessary. Ok for a night, and I guess ok for NY, but not really the best hostel I stayed at.

Unfortunately I was given a room that was facing the street, and even with the windows closed it was very noisy with the street traffic outside. The staff did provide ear plugs which helped somewhat. I was a bit annoyed that during the booking process there was no mention of the 14.75% city and state tax, which is quite a substantial amount - had I known about that tax, I probably would not have chosen to book with the New York Budget In. The hostel really needs to make this more transparent.

• 11th Sep 2015

We are sorry you were not aware of the taxes. The taxes are clearly stated on our website as well as on the Hostelworld website. ALL New York City hotels and hostels MUST charge the 14.75% tax. It wouldn't have made a difference where you stayed; everyone must charge the tax.

In effect New York Budget Inn is constructed brilliantly, like a William Shakespeare play fit for modern times, with bed frames all sturdily rock-proof, each hall bathroom completely and deliciously individualized, the two computer terminals in the compact lobby exceptionally versatile, the air conditioners, microwaves and refrigerators tip top, the lockers impenetrable, the lobby TV on top of things and the staff encyclopedic, All just four New York minutes from the Empire State Building.

Excellent hostel! Clean, tidy and secure. Amazingly tidy rooms. We had a standard twin room which had a fridge, microwave, desk and generous single bunk beds with plenty of extra space. On our floor the shared bathrooms were always clean and there was always one available. We were here to explore so didn't need a common room or to meet other people. Staff were polite and friendly. Great value and would definitely return!

• 10th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

The Budget Inn is in a great location and the building is well secured with a key card needed for both entry into the building and entry into the halls. Staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful although some seemed a little unmotivated. Atmosphere was neither good nor bad, definitely could have been better. Cleanliness was good in the rooms but showers could have been better. Fantastic value for money. Free breakfast was nice surprise but only donuts. Wifi was extremely slow - almost unusable.

At 30 years old I think I was the oldest person here but it was a really fun place. Very clean and nice. I had a bathroom in my room so I don't know how the rest of the facilities were. The hallways could be a bit noisey so you might want to take them up on their free ear plugs.

Bathroom floors were constantly flooded from showers

Great location and secure place. The 6 line is 3 blocks away. Spacious enough rooms and comfortable beds. I had a lot of issues with the Wifi in the room. The rooms that face 3rd have a bit of noise almost all night. Great value overall, I would stay again.

Excellent location. Lot of bars at nearby. Next to 5th ave and metro.

For New York it is a good price and location! Would have liked to have a fridge available to keep food and beverages cool, even if it was a communal one. Bed was really squeaky which can be somewhat of a nuisance.

• 7th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Nice location, atmosphere was good, friendly staff, they got free breakfast every morning, i would say its the best hostel in nyc

• 7th Sep 2015
  • Indonesia

Staff was great!! Front desk staff really helped me when my credit card wasnt working... Only complaint would be the hostel had a funky smell. Not sure if it was the cleaning supplies or what.

• 6th Sep 2015