New York Budget Inn Reviews

200 East 34th St., New York, New York, USA

I rly enjoyed my stay. I would choose again. The room is a littlebit small, but what should I expect in New York. The staff is rly friendly and there is free breakfast every morning with coffee. There are fridge and microwave-oven and lockers in the rooms.

• 27th Aug 2013
  • Hungary

The hostel was very clean! I had worse expectations, you proofed me wrong! There is only 1 point why i didn't give you "excellent" in cleanliness. One of the bedsheets that has been remade/cleaned by the staff wasn't clean. There was some sticky fluid in the end of the bedsheet, which made me and my partner uncomfortable. But that's all of the negative review.

• 26th Aug 2013

Great, super clean, space in rooms 4 luggage, lockers, comfortable beds, small fridge and microwave in the room (no kitchen). Coffee to go in the morning (and pastries). Super nice and helpful staff, hostel has stairs, but those guys are more than willing to help u with ur luggage, always with a smile, loved that! No common room, but they have activities everyday, lots of musicians playing in the entrance, lovely! will definitely go back, a little expensive 4 a hostel, but NY is expensive.

Small but clean and nice hostel, good position so...from that point it would have been recomended, despite of the bad surprise we had at the moment to pay, when we were asked to pay a huge TAX never mentioned in the Hostelworld website. That changed quite a lot the expectation on the hostel and was quite unfair both from Hostelworld and from the Hostel itself. That's no the way of threating tourists, the feeling of being ripped off is never pleasant.

Thank you for your comment. The New York City Tax of 14.75% that we collect is clearly stated on WRI and on our website. ALL New York City hostels must collect this tax. Its the law. We apologize if you felt ripped off. We don't make any profit on the tax we only collect it for the City.

It is right by the center, which is great if you want to explore New York by foot! But this means, that it is rather expensive for what it really is. The rooms are small (but clean). Although I didn't really mind it since I barely spent time in my room, I was always out enjoying the city so I guess you don't really need more space anyway.

• 25th Aug 2013
  • Switzerland

Staff were very friendly, carried bags up to our room, helped with directions and places to see. Rooms were quite small, but enough for what you need, which was really only a place to sleep. Brilliant location! Only about 15/20 minutes to walk to Times Square.

• Scotland

Great location! Close to subways/buses, restaurants, attractions. Shared bathrooms, but very few issues with unavailability. Clean, friendly staff. Rooms were small, but worth it to be on the island.

Great hostel. Really nice helpfull staff. Also a great location! Really enjoyed my stay here.

I didn't like just the fact that we have to pay $ 5 for each luggage we leave there when we haven't yet checked in or have already checked out.

great place to stay, very clean and wifi excellent. arrived too early to check in and staff were happy to keep our bags while we went to explore ($5 charge) nearest subway is a 3 block walk which is a bit of a pain and our room was facing the road which meant we were kept up til late at night by the traffic as the window was kept open by the A/C unit.

Great experience. I'll def. be back next time.

• 24th Aug 2013

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! The rooms were small but comfortable, with excellent showing facilities! Excellent location to all the main tourist spots in NYC!

Just 5 minutes walk to the Empire State Building. There's a subway station nearby, so you can get to everywhere easily. Air conditioner and microwaves inside the room. But you have to go up by stairs.

Look, this is an excellent hostel. The only problem is New Yorkers and their car-honk-friendly ways! What is wrong with those people! No patience at all! Anyway, if you stay there make sure you wear some ear plugs!

• 24th Aug 2013

Clean rooms, mostly friendly staff, donuts, coffee & apples for breakfast, good location in mid-town Manhattan. The downside is the price and the high taxes (in the fine print, an additional 14% I wasn't expecting to pay). Obviously this isn't the hotel's fault, but I did feel like they should make a greater effort to inform their guests what they will actually have to pay before they arrive. There's also a $5 charge per bag to leave luggage behind the desk, and I got overcharged by $5.

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were not aware that ALL hotels and hostels must collect 14.75% tax. This is information is clearly stated on Hostelworld and on our website. We checked your account. You were not overcharged $5.00

Nice rooms, comfy beds. The bathrooms and reception were always clean and the staff very helpful. The breakfast, just coffee and doughnuts, is not to everyone's tastes but there are plenty of places nearby for breakfast. Earplugs are a must for rooms that face out to the street as the noise makes it hard to sleep.

This was my second stay - the first was very pleasant, so I was happy to book again. The problem with this single room (411) was the noise: the doors are fitted in metal frames than bang shut and the hallway is very narrow, so it is impossible to sleep. Even with my a/c running and earplugs, every time the bathroom door (directly across from mine!) was closed, the "clack" shocked me awake.

Amazing hostel, nice atmosphere, very clean. Private rooms small but it is New York :) Great location close to Grand Central, staff are great, super value especially with the free coffee and dunkin donuts in mornings and pizza nights!!

The beds are really comfortable but the bunk beds are not very sturdy

• 22nd Aug 2013

This was a great place to stay. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. Thank you so much for helping us enjoy NY so much!