New York Budget Inn Reviews

200 East 34th St., New York, USA

The hostel markets itself as a budget hotel. It is nothing close to a hotel and is by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. There is no kitchen, fridge or other common facilities you come to expect at hostels. There was one very small 'common room' which doubles as the foyer and check in counter. We got the twin room and there is not enough head space to sit on your bed and there is not enough floor space 2 move when the bags are not on the bed. Spend the extra dollar and stay elsewhere.

Thank you for your review. We have many different varieties of room types. You had reserved our Basic Twin Private Room - our most economic room type. According to our notes on your account, you had come to the front desk demanding a larger room type and you had refused to pay the difference in the type of room type. If you would not have threatened us with this negative review, we would have attempted to upgrade you.

Great place to crash in the heart of Manhattan. Not a lot of common area to meet other travelers but clean rooms, bathrooms, and helpful staff. Would def stay with again.

Apart from being initially disappointed that they had so sneakily covered up the 14% tax and $3.50 a night that they add on (in the small print) I had a great time here! The hostel had a fantastic atmosphere, the staff were always helpful and fun. The bathrooms were clean and all in perfect working condition. It was great to have to the lockers, although remember to bring a lock! I felt very secure and taken care of.

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you had an enjoyable stay with us. As clearly indicated on our website and all affiliate booking engines, taxes are not included.

It was cold in the room and it was really noisy. The room was really small and when I booked I saw pictures that looked different and it showed a sink in the room. It was really clean but I probably wouldn't stay at a hostile again. I will go with a hotel for $50 more. And get more amenities.

• 26th Dec 2013

Thank you for your review. As indicated on our website pictures, you had reserved our Basic Twin Private Room but intended our Standard Twin Private. We wish we had the availability to upgrade your accommodations but we were completely sold out. At a nightly rate of $80 even with an additional $50- it would be impossible to find a hotel for less then $300 in NYC on Christmas.

Tiny rooms. Everything for extra charge (luggage room, calling Airport shuttle)

Thank you for your review. We have many different room types available. You had made a reservation in our Basic Twin Private Room , our most economical room. By far the most inexpensive room in all of Manhattan. As We offer luggage storage for guests who check out and want to enjoy their remaining hours hanging around the City, we do not charge fees for making shuttle reservations. We take a deposit for the shuttle reservation to the Airport.

Very comfortable room with large bed and private restroom! The room was clean and very interesting the possibility to leave luggage for one day at small price. Good days at budget inn!

• 25th Dec 2013

Awesome hostel! Stayed here during 2014/15 christmas period and NYE celebrations and it was great. Good location not far from lots of districts, fun staff and free pizza and karaoke nights. Walking up and down the stairs wasn't great and it was a small common room but still had fun.

My only complain about staying there is regarding to the WiFi... always working bad.

Good: location is awesome, you can basically walk everywhere if you're into it, bathrooms are really clean, beds are confortable, lockers in the room (bring your lock!), heating was good and they provided extra blankets, staff was helpful. Bad: breakfast is really bad, only donuts, coffee and apples. Regular bread would be better than donuts! The common area is actually the hostel front desk / lobby which is really small, 8 people maximum, so its bad for getting to know people and hanging out

Great! Can't wait to stay again!

Great hostel, well located (although a bit far on the side from the main streets it's still only 15 min walk from it), clean and helpfull ! 5$ lockers (i wish it was free but they do secure it by putting tags on it)

When I arrived, the staff didn't tell me which bed that I was assigned to. I picked the only bed that had no stuff on it. Then I looked at the wall and it says "penalty $25/day for using the wrong bed. I looked at my receipt and found that I was assigned to bed number 4 (bed#4 was taken). I complained to the staff, and the staff just told me "you know what you should do". I guess, I should ignore the penalty. Just wondering how the housekeeping knows which bed should they change the sheet.

• 20th Dec 2013
  • Indonesia

Thank you for your review! Our objective is not to charge guests additional fees. We allocate the beds for a few reasons: 1. we do not want guests to fight for beds 2. housekeeping make all beds daily however in the event guests leave personal items on their beds, we know who to contact to inform them that we had organized their items in order to make the beds. 3. To make sure all those who are occupying the beds, are guests. We apologize that the bed allocation was not clearly identified

This is the second time I'd stayed in NYBI and I don't regret it, I choose it because is clean, has a great location, and the staff is very helpful, I totally recommend it.

I loved my stay at this hostel. The hostel is in a great location with easy access to many attractions in NYC, the price for a bed in a 4-bed dorm was very reasonable for NYC, the rooms were clean and warm and the beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms were clean and I love that you are given shampoo/conditioner/slippers on arrival - such a luxury for a hostel. Overall really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return!

The location is very convenient. The subway line is within walking distance. All the staff except one are very friendly and helpful, making our stay very comfortable. The staff ensure the shared bath rooms are clean at all times, which is impressive. I am very happy with my choice.

• 16th Dec 2013
  • China

We really enjoyed our stay there, the staff members always were nice, when we came back at night everything was clean. almost everything was near from the hostel, what else can I say? We loved New York, and when we go back there, of course we are going to stay at the New York Budget Inn

• 14th Dec 2013
  • Mexico

Excellent location in 34th street, about 5 minutes away from Empire State Building and Grand Central Terminal. Bathrooms and restrooms are quite small but all sanitary installations, halls and rooms are very clean. Rooms are cleaned every day. Staff is friendly and coffee is available for free at the entrance every day in the morning!

• 13th Dec 2013

This is a great option for New York. Located on 34th street, only 10 mins walk to 5th Avenue. Don't be fooled into thinking it is near Penn Station and walk from there with luggage - bad idea. The staff are really what make this place fantastic, as well as the large, warm dorm rooms, with security lockers, breakfast - even though it is only doughnuts and hot chocolate/coffee, and free pizza nights. The slight downside is the lack of big social area, kitchen and the paying for bag storage.

Location, great value and clean: Double room was larger than expected. Great value for a short stay in New York when you only need somewhere to sleep. Clean rooms and bathroom and great location, I walked to everything.

• 13th Dec 2013
  • Sweden

This hostel was very accomodating. It was clean and they make your bed every morning. the bathrooms are cleaned often as well. The common room area is small so it's a little difficult to meet people. It's right next to the Empire State Building and close to the green line. Great and friendly staff 24/7. Loved staying here.

• 12th Dec 2013