Newport International Hostel Reviews

16 Howard Street, Newport RI, USA

Great location and a friendly atmosphere make the William Gyles Guesthouse Hostel in Newport, RI a perfect stay for budget-conscious travelers. Merrilee is a charming and conscientious host who ensures that guests are truly welcome, and the price can't be beat for the location.

• 9th Jun 2015

Had a great time in Newport, but the check in was a little odd. The manager requested a cash payment and was somewhat controlling. I several times had items moved around, an example being my bath towel that was moved to a different rod for no reason. She also tended to talk to quickly for the international guest to understand. Other than that it is easy to see that the she is very passionate about what she does, just needs to possible relax or slow down slightly.

• 29th May 2015

I told this guest in his booking confirmation that cash is preferred but we will take charge cards. It says this on our website also. I often find guest's towels hanging in such a way that they aren't drying well, in which case I adjust them to dry better.

I had a pleasant time at the hostel and in Newport. With regard to atmosphere – clearly it's partly personal taste. The hostel wasn’t as social as some I’ve stayed at, probably partly because the hostel is small. This is not at all a reflection on the effort I know the owner makes personally. I really appreciated the time she spent to introduce me to Newport. The hostel itself is lovely and I enjoyed the terrace.

Awesome stay. Wonderful location and Marilee was the perfect host. Very good facilities. Will definitely come here again and highly recommended.

• 6th May 2015

The hostel is managed with stellar professionalism by Merilee. Her warmth and kindess make you feel at home and at ease the minute you step in the door. Her night walks filled with historical detail and anecdotes add a special touch your discovery of Newport. Will certainly return and recommend it to all my friends and students here in Nantes, France.

• 3rd May 2015

I stayed for a week at the Newport International Hostel. It's a very cute, individual and personal place to stay. The location is great! And Merrilee, the owner, is always willing to help you with anything you need during your stay (how to get to places, what to do...) and takes you on free town tours in some nights. The facilities are not brand new and it's not always that clean. This doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy my stay at the hostel! It was a wonderful time.