Newport International Hostel Reviews

16 Howard Street, Newport RI, USA

Merrilee is so nice. She'll tell you everything fun and cheap restaurants in Newport. It's like living at home with Newport travel guide brochures everywhere.

Merrilee is a very nice person and staying at the hostel feels very much like staying at somebodys house (it's not so much a hostel feeling which is nice). There is a big kitchen with all the utensils you need and you can also use the washer and dryer with a small fee. Unfortunately the bathroom wasn't clean during our stay (hair and dirt on the floor) and the rugs in our room needed cleaning as well. Merrilee seemed quite stressed and a little hectic.

The only downside is if any of the other folks sharing the room snore -- as did one of my roommates -- loudly and all night long. You might want to consider adding a comment to your website, encouraging potential guests to be considerate and NOT stay at the Hostel if they have a history of snoring.

• 14th Oct 2015

The host made sure I knew where everything was to be found that I needed for a comfortable stay

• 14th Oct 2015

Top location. Free night tour of the city. Merrilee extremely knowledge of Newport and great host.

This hostel is more like a guest house but my friend and I were the only ladies for the night and had the four bed room to ourselves. Merrilee, the owner, was super helpful and an absolute doll. She took us on a short walking tour by night and we got to see some really cute local parts of Newport. The hostel itself was very clean and had a nice living room and kitchen with lots of information about the city.

The inn keeper is very hospitable. Prime location for Newport. Cleanliness was average. One thing that doesn't appeal is that it's an alcohol free environment, but otherwise no complaints.

Good location near waterfront and restaurants. Merrilee is welcoming and competent. I would definitely stay here again.

Marrilee is great! she shows you around town so you feel at home from the first night.

• 26th Jul 2015
  • Argentina

The house is lovely and so comfortable, feels more like a B&B than a hostel. Merrilee, the owner, is so friendly and knows all the insider tips on the best things to do and places to eat that I would have missed out on without her. Had a fantastic time, thank you so much!

Had a wonderful stay, the host was really nice and gave us a tour of the town including interesting history,good places to eat and entertainment spots. The hostel itself didn't really feel like a hostel more like your staying at someone's house which was comfortable but has its drawbacks like no common area for later at night as two of the bedrooms are off the kitchen. Also no locks on the rooms but was a small hostel so didn't feel like it was needed. Would recommend a stay.

• 18th Jul 2015

This home hostel (often referred to as a "boutique hostel" in today's hostel jargon) has a welcoming, spacious common room filled with information about Newport. Guests enjoy gathering there for relaxing, socializing and using WIFI. One dorm room is off the common room and one is off the kitchen.

The location was great. The hostess was knowledgeable and extremely accommodating.

• 11th Jul 2015

Things would be easier if the charge system that the hostel uses was something other than PayPal

• 30th Jun 2015
  • Chile

Many of our guests charge regularly, without any problem, using our online PayPal system

Great location and a friendly atmosphere make the William Gyles Guesthouse Hostel in Newport, RI a perfect stay for budget-conscious travelers. Merrilee is a charming and conscientious host who ensures that guests are truly welcome, and the price can't be beat for the location.

• 9th Jun 2015

Had a great time in Newport, but the check in was a little odd. The manager requested a cash payment and was somewhat controlling. I several times had items moved around, an example being my bath towel that was moved to a different rod for no reason. She also tended to talk to quickly for the international guest to understand. Other than that it is easy to see that the she is very passionate about what she does, just needs to possible relax or slow down slightly.

• 29th May 2015

I told this guest in his booking confirmation that cash is preferred but we will take charge cards. It says this on our website also. I often find guest's towels hanging in such a way that they aren't drying well, in which case I adjust them to dry better.

I had a pleasant time at the hostel and in Newport. With regard to atmosphere – clearly it's partly personal taste. The hostel wasn’t as social as some I’ve stayed at, probably partly because the hostel is small. This is not at all a reflection on the effort I know the owner makes personally. I really appreciated the time she spent to introduce me to Newport. The hostel itself is lovely and I enjoyed the terrace.

Awesome stay. Wonderful location and Marilee was the perfect host. Very good facilities. Will definitely come here again and highly recommended.

• 6th May 2015

The hostel is managed with stellar professionalism by Merilee. Her warmth and kindess make you feel at home and at ease the minute you step in the door. Her night walks filled with historical detail and anecdotes add a special touch your discovery of Newport. Will certainly return and recommend it to all my friends and students here in Nantes, France.

• 3rd May 2015

I stayed for a week at the Newport International Hostel. It's a very cute, individual and personal place to stay. The location is great! And Merrilee, the owner, is always willing to help you with anything you need during your stay (how to get to places, what to do...) and takes you on free town tours in some nights. The facilities are not brand new and it's not always that clean. This doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy my stay at the hostel! It was a wonderful time.

Great location