Newport International Hostel Reviews

16 Howard Street, Newport RI, USA

Merrilee is an amazing host. Her guest house is well run, clean, safe, and in an amazing location. She genuinely cares that you have a great time visiting Newport and I am already looking forward to booking a room to come back and visit!

• 12th Nov 2013

This is more of a guest house than a hostel. It's very clean, nice and cozy. The owner is friendly and helpful, though she can be a bit picky and in your business. Still a great place worth staying for a few nights for a budget in Newport.

Probably the smallest but also nicest hostels I've ever stayed in. Highly recommended!! Thanks to Merrilee who has been a great host!

Merrillee was very warm and welcoming and made me feel at home. She gave us a nice walking tour around town which was an a nice touch!

• 4th Oct 2013

Great location! Home-like atmosphere. No breakfast. The hostel has just gone through a renovation. Clean and comfortable. Easy to rent a bike from here.

• 3rd Oct 2013
  • China

A light self-serve breakfast is provided.

Absolutely enjoyed my stay, thanks for your wonderful service.

• 26th Sep 2013

Newport Hostel is a great place to stay. Marilee is very kind and helpful. She is always concerned if her guests are alright and if the place is clean and in order. The rooms are clean and so is the kitchen and toilets. I liked that she offered food for breakfast for free. Also, she gives very good tips on restaurants with discounts for her guests and places to see in Newport.

If you go to Newport, go to the Newport hostel, it is a wonderful place, Merrilee, the owner, is a fantastic lady and everything is simply perfect there, I have loved it a lot!

• 8th Sep 2013

I was very pleased with my stay here and enjoyed the cosy atmosphere. I wanted a quiet hostel for a change and this certainly got delivered. The owner was passionate about her local area, friendly and happy to help with any questions. The hostel is operated well and feels like a home away from home. I should have stayed longer than 2 nights to explore Newport that little bit more if I had the extra time (Was in Newport for a wedding)!

This is a great place! Clean, and the owner/hostess goes out of her way to recommend restaurants and to help you out! The location is great!

• 22nd Aug 2013

I was in room with three beds,there is a bathroom in it,but the bad part is that people from other rooms also uses it,so they need to go through the room to get to it. Also, after a little tour around the city my clothes was wet, really. And I asked if I could use the dryer, and reply was "yeah, wait, we care about energy efficiency bla bla".. I do care too, but I also care of wearing dry clothes and customer service, so the owner told me to put some money for using the dryer and fan to dry hair

At time of booking this guest was told he may be in a room with the only full bath on that floor and that other guests may need to come through this room to use the shower. There is another full bath on another floor. When this guest requested to use the dryer to dry one pair of socks, he was asked to contribute a bit of change. In an effort to keep our prices down, we never consider running the dryer with only one item in it.

Good location but a bid strange to actually stay in some ones private house. There are only 5 beds on the ground floor. Private rooms are upstairs with a different entrance so you will not be in contact with thet travelers. ou can not use the kitchen to cook. The washing machine you can only use with cold water and for 15 minutes after paying 3,50 so I recommend to go to the laundry shop next to the big supermarket only 5 minutes away if you want really clean clothing! Newport is nice!

The Newport International Hostel is a home hostel – a cozier and quainter option for the traveler than mega hostels often found in large cities. There is only one entrance to the hostel. The hostel kitchen is for everyone's use Laundry - You have the option to use warm water to wash. Guests are requested to use the energy efficient cycle. Yes, Newport is wonderful!!!

Five star service. The hostel gives free Newport tours at 10pm.

• 12th Jul 2013

Thank you for being a five star guest! Do come again!

The hostel was great however I was surprised at the price by the time we paid a premium for a double room. For another $30 we could have had a Bed and Breakfast!

• 28th Jun 2013

Merrilee, the proprietress, is pleasant, efficient, and really seems to care that her guests enjoy their stay in Newport. Hostel is within walking distance of nearly everything. The bathrooms and kitchen were extremely clean and in great condition. Other guests were quiet and respectful of one another.

• 13th Jun 2013

For an experianced hosteller this property is more of a hostel/guesthouse/homestay mix. It would be a great place for a person to start to hostel however to someone who has stayed at many hostels the property lacked something. The place had no life/pulse. The bathroom is accessed through a bedroom and there are no locks on any internal doors, the bathroom would be a high recomendation for improvement. However this property is in such a great location in Newport.

. This guest apparently did not appreciate the comfortable, homey feeling of a small hostel such as ours. Newport does not have a larger hostel because licensing laws don’t allow it. . She wrote there were no locks on any internal doors, yet the room she was in for four nights had a lock on the door, as do the bathrooms. The hostel currently has three bathrooms - one off a bedroom, one off the common room, and another new one just opened up for the season.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Newport International Hostel! Great environment, reasonable price, and excellent location.

• 27th May 2013

Thank you for your nice comments. We hope you will return!

would love to go again

• 13th Apr 2013

Would love to have you again!!!!

Its a lovely place. The hostel is friendly and cosy and affordable. And everything , restaurants shops. R available. nearby. The hostel is clean and warm and u get free breakfast as well. the owner is also very sweet and friendly . All in all I'm very happy to have stayed there.

• 1st Apr 2013
  • India

This place is a godsend to the out-of-season New England budget traveler. The good stuff: being right in the heart of maritime Newport, free street parking, bagging a small private attic room for the price of a dorm, free wifi, Newport mansion books to browse. The nothing is perfect: $29 a night doesn't get you much in the way of heating in late November - scarves and beanies necessary indoors - and shower water temperature best described as harrowing!

I am not sure why this guest had a problem getting hot water for her shower - she never mentioned she was having a problem. Our showers are steamy hot at a moment's notice. We keep the temperature in the house around 60 degrees this time of the year.. By simply wearing an extra scarf or sweater each of our guests contribute to energy savings that enables us to keep the hostel open during the off-season. Thank you!.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7