Newport International Hostel Reviews

16 Howard Street, Newport RI, USA

Great location and a friendly atmosphere make the William Gyles Guesthouse Hostel in Newport, RI a perfect stay for budget-conscious travelers. Merrilee is a charming and conscientious host who ensures that guests are truly welcome, and the price can't be beat for the location.

• 9th Jun 2015

Had a great time in Newport, but the check in was a little odd. The manager requested a cash payment and was somewhat controlling. I several times had items moved around, an example being my bath towel that was moved to a different rod for no reason. She also tended to talk to quickly for the international guest to understand. Other than that it is easy to see that the she is very passionate about what she does, just needs to possible relax or slow down slightly.

• 29th May 2015

I told this guest in his booking confirmation that cash is preferred but we will take charge cards. It says this on our website also. I often find guest's towels hanging in such a way that they aren't drying well, in which case I adjust them to dry better.

I had a pleasant time at the hostel and in Newport. With regard to atmosphere – clearly it's partly personal taste. The hostel wasn’t as social as some I’ve stayed at, probably partly because the hostel is small. This is not at all a reflection on the effort I know the owner makes personally. I really appreciated the time she spent to introduce me to Newport. The hostel itself is lovely and I enjoyed the terrace.

Awesome stay. Wonderful location and Marilee was the perfect host. Very good facilities. Will definitely come here again and highly recommended.

• 6th May 2015

The hostel is managed with stellar professionalism by Merilee. Her warmth and kindess make you feel at home and at ease the minute you step in the door. Her night walks filled with historical detail and anecdotes add a special touch your discovery of Newport. Will certainly return and recommend it to all my friends and students here in Nantes, France.

• 3rd May 2015

I stayed for a week at the Newport International Hostel. It's a very cute, individual and personal place to stay. The location is great! And Merrilee, the owner, is always willing to help you with anything you need during your stay (how to get to places, what to do...) and takes you on free town tours in some nights. The facilities are not brand new and it's not always that clean. This doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy my stay at the hostel! It was a wonderful time.

Great location

• 17th Nov 2014
  • Wales

This is more a private home than a hostel, as you are renting rooms/beds in the house of the host. The location is amazing and the hostel is well equiped (lockers, power outlets, informations on everything). However, the place is not too clean (old and dirty bathmat, hair in the sink/shower even right after "cleaning") and you should be aware of the (not) heating policy of the host (55 degrees during the day/evening).

The place would be perfect if the host would be bit less intrusive and if she would turn up the heat even when she is not home (andall the guests are freezing). Amazing location!

Each guest that books is told by email before they arrive what our heating policy is. The temperature in the hostel is kept in the low 60’s during the daytime and evening, and slightly cooler at night. This enables us to keep our hostel prices down this time of the year. This guest was told this in an email and replied with an email confirmation before she arrived. The hostel temperature was never lower than 63 degrees during the day when this guest was staying at the hostel.

I had a great stay there. I was there during some remodeling but didn't really affect my stay as I was just needing a place to sleep for the night.

• 21st Oct 2014

Amazing location. Very sweet owner. Clean and cute. Would stay here again.

Newport is a must see for all sailors. This Hostel is in a perfect location. It's just like being home.

Great warm atmosphere for the only hostel in Rhode Island! The landlady is passionnate about her beautiful town and is full of tips for travellers and historical facts. At first, I chose Newport by default, because there was no hostel in the capitol city, Providence. I ended up spending only a couple of hours in Providence and most of my time in Newport, partly thanks to this comfy and very well located hostel. Highly recommended for any backpacker like me, or just anyone!

One of best hostels I have ever stayed at.

Merrilee who owns the hostel could not have been nicer and the location cannot be beat, highly recommended!

• 5th Sep 2014

The hostel is located right in downtown Newport, near the water and the downtown area and walkable to everything. It has everything you need - including common kitchen, maps and books about Newport and the area, and outdoor space on the porch and backyard. Due to the smaller and homey feeling of the hostel, it's definitely best for respectful and laid-back travelers.

Newport Hostel was good: our host gave us all kind of information about what to visit in Newport, where to eat etc There wasn't any breakfast though. We met other people and we enjoyed talking to them. In term of cleaness it was okay. I think it's one of the cheapest option in Newport.

• 4th Aug 2014

Beds & pillow not comfortable. Noise outside well after midnight made it impossible to sleep. Hostels usually have a continental breakfast in the morning. Must provide at least coffee.

• 1st Aug 2014

All hostel beds are relatively new. Extra pillows are available to all in guest closets. At 1am when the bars close, the downtown streets of Newport where the hostel is located get their share of the noise as people head home for the night. This often continues for about a half hour. A self-serve breakfast including coffee is available to all guests. Guests are shown location of this food in hostel kitchen at check-in. Location of this free breakfast food is well labeled.

1st time at a Hostel and I picked the best! Terrific location, very safe and the Owner is an Amazing Woman who wants to make your visit to Newport special ~ you can even enjoy a walking tour around Newport each night! Do not hesitate to book ~ Newport is beautiful, any time of year. Take it from Camille ~ it's the best deal in town ~

• 1st Aug 2014

It's like staying in your own home. Nice and quiet and clean. Staff caters to your every need.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7