Newton Lodge Reviews

27 Cross Street, Newton, PO BOX 68571, Newton, Auckland, New Zealand

Nice clean hostel, only no window in my room.

At arrival I asked for a room with a window, because I had read a review saying the rooms are without a window. We were so lucky to have a room with a window and a fan. It was extremely hot and air was not very good. Having said that the hostel was very clean and the kitchen and shower facilities very nice. I sensed that many people lived there more permanently which could make the rooms more filled with things and clothes. The security was not very good, because no one locked the room doors

• 29th Jan 2015
  • Denmark

I keep getting ill when staying here. The lack of ventilation and people staying here long term with smelly dirty stuff means I won't stay here again. Rooms with no windows and 8 beds!!

I'm very happy with Newton:)

No nighttime staff, no bar, no alcohol allowed, no breakfast, rooms smell a bit with people staying for long periods leaving out dirty clothing. Not enough airflow, I got ill here probably from sharing air in the poorly ventilated rooms. Some nice travellers made it fun and it's cheap and cleaned daily. Bathroom and kitchen are good with tv showing good films.

OK hostel, good location, nice bathrooms, good wifi. Kitchen & dining area is grossly inadequate for the number of people there. Rooms are clean but very small and cluttered with long-term guests who've made it their home and behave accordingly. Security is poor, I was shocked to hear one of the long-termers in my room saying that they never bother to lock the room, especially given the location - just around the corner from K road.

Excuse me, but how is customer's choice of not locking the room how fault? Besides, if people think they do not need to lock the rooms doesn't it mean we are a safe place? Be reasonable please.

Lots of showers and bathrooms which is nice. Kitchen is reasonable. Rooms are over crowded. Should consider keeping long term and short term guests separate. I stayed in a room with mostly long term guests and they're stuff was all over the floors and the couch in the room. Couldn't fit my stuff anywhere or even walk around. Hostel doesn't offer any activities in or out of the hostel. Just overall very mediocre.

Big hostel with loads of facilities so no issues ever waiting for showers or bathrooms. The rooms are small corridors with no natural light which can be a negative for lots of people. When I visited the hostel had a real vibe of catering for long term stays and working visa which meant passing through was less entertaining. The kitchen living area was nice there which made it social. Alcohol had been banned in the hostel when I was staying which was a disappointment as it made socialising hard

We booked a dorm room for two people but weren't informed prior to arriving that we would be staying in separate dorms. There are no night staff so no security overnight. There are lots of people staying in the hostel long-term meaning that the small and windowless dorm was covered in clothes and I had no room for my bag. Good location and facilities but not a very good backpacker vibe at all.

Really good (new AND clean) bathrooms, well equipped kitchen, WIFI works pretty good The only negative point would maybe the not so good atmosphere for travelers, as almost all the people there are long-termers