Newton Lodge Reviews

27 Cross Street, Newton, PO BOX 68571, Newton, Auckland, New Zealand

OK hostel, good location, nice bathrooms, good wifi. Kitchen & dining area is grossly inadequate for the number of people there. Rooms are clean but very small and cluttered with long-term guests who've made it their home and behave accordingly. Security is poor, I was shocked to hear one of the long-termers in my room saying that they never bother to lock the room, especially given the location - just around the corner from K road.

Excuse me, but how is customer's choice of not locking the room how fault? Besides, if people think they do not need to lock the rooms doesn't it mean we are a safe place? Be reasonable please.

Lots of showers and bathrooms which is nice. Kitchen is reasonable. Rooms are over crowded. Should consider keeping long term and short term guests separate. I stayed in a room with mostly long term guests and they're stuff was all over the floors and the couch in the room. Couldn't fit my stuff anywhere or even walk around. Hostel doesn't offer any activities in or out of the hostel. Just overall very mediocre.

We booked a dorm room for two people but weren't informed prior to arriving that we would be staying in separate dorms. There are no night staff so no security overnight. There are lots of people staying in the hostel long-term meaning that the small and windowless dorm was covered in clothes and I had no room for my bag. Good location and facilities but not a very good backpacker vibe at all.

Really good (new AND clean) bathrooms, well equipped kitchen, WIFI works pretty good The only negative point would maybe the not so good atmosphere for travelers, as almost all the people there are long-termers

Good hostel for a quick stay but way to many long termers staying there to make it a good hostel for more than that. Kitchen area got ridiculously busy at the usual dinner times, with only four hot plates and a couple of microwaves for a lot of people, no oven being a major bug bear. Generally clean and good wifi throughout but definitely not a backpacker type stay.

Really nice, very clean and the staff couldn't help enough. Nice crowd and perfect location, just outside of the main stretch and in a funky area with some great cheap food places.

Bathrooms were clean enough but kitchen and bedrooms full of bags of food all over the place. The residents watch films but leave their cups and snack packets out for staff up pick up the next day. Wierd atmosphere, said hello to every person I saw but was lucky to get a response. Really quiet hostel.

This hostel has a great location near the city center, the staff is very friendly and the facilities are very clean. There are many bathrooms, showers and sinks, I never had to wait to use anything. The kitchen is a little small though.

Very friendly staff. They gave me 15% discount for no reason. Beds are comfy but possibly a little small (I am 194cm). Two plugs per person per bed. Modern facilities (by hostel standards). Great showers. Very clean in general. Sky TV with Sports & Movies. You can stay as long as you want. Free internet Cons: TV room & kitchen are in the same room so it's ridiculously loud and you can't hear anything or anyone without shouting - so it's very hard to relax when not in you are not in your dorm

Really really nice Hostel! :) great location and very clean. I really enjoyed my time here.

There are a lot of people who live here so not so much of an opportunity to meet other people who are currently just travelling.

One of the best hostels I've lived in, it was absolutely clean. Toilets are individual not in a shared setting. Wifi was fast as well! Enjoyed my stay.

Fantastic staff, were totally cool about me wanting to change to bottom bunk. Facilities were the best I've seen in NZ, north to south. Though there are lots of long-termers, they're super friendly and welcoming. Great atmosphere. Lounge is a bit small, but that's alright. Very cool place, definitely recommend.

Hostel okay for one night, but not very nice. The 8 beds room was small and there was no window in it. Would not come back.

Great hostel. The only thing I cannot figure out is why there's only one toilet marked Ladies, two for men and two that are gender neutral. Women spend more time in the bathroom and a lot of women (including me) hate using the men's toilet when the others are occupied.

It was my first days in Auckland and it was a good election to choose this hostel. It's in a good location, in the center but not noisy. Friendly atmosphere, everything was clean and the wifi there works very good. Althought many people is living there, you can meet some travellers :).

• 23rd Mar 2014
  • Spain

Free wifi was great, you can also borrow a towel, staff is nice. It's kind of far from the busstop, there are to many longterm people, no place in the fridges, kitchen is too smal. Showers were great!

The hostel was very clean and the staff were accommodating. It's not a party hostel but more of a working hostel - which is fine, because that's what I was looking for.

Very good value for money, good location, staff and other residents very friendly.

There is free wifi available!!!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4