Nikko Guesthouse Sumica Reviews

5-12 Aioi-cho, Nikko-city, Tochigi, Japan, Nikko, Japan

Thanks for your nice and warm welcome, especially to Kumiko for the drive to an onsen (the one in Nikko was closed that evening). Sato´s suggestions for walking/hiking were very good. Also their recommendation for dinner - close by, inexpensive, friendly and with a nice atmosphere. It was a perfect stay and may be I can come back next year with some friends! It was a perfect stay, especially for my friend Anna, who visited Japan first time! Thank you!

Great place to stay near the train station. The only thing is a bit of a lack of privacy in the toilet as it is right in the hallway. The owners are absolutely nice and willing to help.

A perfect experience. The setting and facilities were great if a bit cramped, but the Satos were the most gracious hosts and made the experience top of the line! So friendly, so helpful. I was amazed that Mr. Sato offered to take us to an Onsen our second night, which was an incredible experience. That showed such friendliness and concern for our overall experience. Truly wonderful!

• 29th Aug 2014

The place is nice and staff is really helpful, and they also can speak English properly.

very good

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Thailand

The guesthouse is very good located, you have to walk just two minutes from the JR train station. Very friendly staff, they made a great atmosphere! We tried to bought something in the supermarket to make dinner but they told us to join their takoyaki party, that whas great! Everything was very clean and we enjoyed sooo much the stay,

Clean, friendly, central. What more could you ask for? The people running the place were extremely nice and helpful.

Our stay in Sumica was REALLY nice. It's a very familiar house,the owners are very nice and we shared good moments together, lots of laugh and fun! Rooms are very clean. Shared rooms are normal, but private ones and the living-room are super-traditional and super-cute and the bathroom&shower are totally fine. Price is very adequate, the only thing that I would change is the small kitchen that is a kind of mess (lot's of things in small space).I totally recommend this guesthouse.Thanks very much!

• 4th Jul 2014
  • Spain

The location is great. It's right by the train station see you don't have to go far. The woman who runs the place is so friendly. She made sure that everyone who was hanging out was having a good time, and brought out Japanese games to play. The lockers are also in the lobby and are small ones. It was nice that the bunkbeds had curtain so you had some privacy. This seems common in Japan.

This was an excellent hostel. The staff were so welcoming and helpful. They suggested places to visit, excellent restaurants and were able to help with any concerns. They even entered me into a Yukata competition (summer kimono) which was great fun and very unexpected. The hostel is 20 minutes walk from the shrines, it is very close to both stations so it is in an excellent location. I would thoroughly recommend the hostel.

Friendly hosts who can speak good English. Host stayed in Singapore for many years so they know Singapore rather well too. Room is small but contains everything that is needed and is bright and cozy. Place is very clean and the bathroom is comfortable. Location is just beside the station so it is extremely convenient. Will definitely stay again.

This place is fantastic! The owners are amazingly nice and knowledgable! It's really close to the stations, but a little far from the sightseeing, there are busses nearby that are easy to take, however. I would recommend this guest house in a heart beat! I felt like part of the family.

Es gibt Orte, die Sie ankommen, und Sie fühlen sich nicht wohl, gab es nichts Negatives, aber ich fühlte mich nicht gut und so war es mit diesem Hotel.

Perfect staying that I would definitely suggest. Only one critique: the hostel is closed -for everyone, including guests - from 1pm to 4pm. This is rather inconvenient if you need to get back home for some reasons (ex. when i was there it was raining a lot and I decided to go back at the hostel but the door was locked!!!).

Usually I'm not writing any reviews, but this guesthouse is the best I been in japan so far. The place is small and cozy with a family atmosphere, the couple run the place are so nice and friendly that made all the my experience in nikko to a great one. They help me not only to travel in nikko area, but they recommend me of places in all japan.

Great location near the train and great staff.

I did FEEL AT HOME at Sumica Guesthouse! Kumiko-san and Satô-san are the best hosts I found in Japan and they made me feel at home. Their house is just a couple of minutes from the train stations and the bus stop, so you won’t find a better location in Nikko. In my opinion, the best guesthouse in Japan due to their familiar atmosphere: Kumiko-san and Satô-san are so kind and have excellent recommendations for their guests: Nikko, Chuzenji-ko, onsens and restaurants... Thanks for everything!

Located very close to the train station, and a short bus ride (or about 20 minute walk if you prefer) from the main sites. Hostel was clean and all the friendly staff spoke English and were very helpful offering advice on where to visit while in Nikko.

These guys are great. Awesome hostel. Great staff and guests and excellent facilities. Thanks!

Great hostel! Rooms are clean and comfortable, the building is amazing; very authentic but with modern facilities! Staff were great, helped us cook various japanese dishes and even came to wave us off at the train station! Best hostel I have stayed in to date!