Nikko Guesthouse Sumica Reviews

5-12 Aioi-cho, Nikko-city, Tochigi, Japan, Nikko, Japan

Clean, friendly, central. What more could you ask for? The people running the place were extremely nice and helpful.

Our stay in Sumica was REALLY nice. It's a very familiar house,the owners are very nice and we shared good moments together, lots of laugh and fun! Rooms are very clean. Shared rooms are normal, but private ones and the living-room are super-traditional and super-cute and the bathroom&shower are totally fine. Price is very adequate, the only thing that I would change is the small kitchen that is a kind of mess (lot's of things in small space).I totally recommend this guesthouse.Thanks very much!

• 4th Jul 2014
  • Spain

This was an excellent hostel. The staff were so welcoming and helpful. They suggested places to visit, excellent restaurants and were able to help with any concerns. They even entered me into a Yukata competition (summer kimono) which was great fun and very unexpected. The hostel is 20 minutes walk from the shrines, it is very close to both stations so it is in an excellent location. I would thoroughly recommend the hostel.

Friendly hosts who can speak good English. Host stayed in Singapore for many years so they know Singapore rather well too. Room is small but contains everything that is needed and is bright and cozy. Place is very clean and the bathroom is comfortable. Location is just beside the station so it is extremely convenient. Will definitely stay again.

This place is fantastic! The owners are amazingly nice and knowledgable! It's really close to the stations, but a little far from the sightseeing, there are busses nearby that are easy to take, however. I would recommend this guest house in a heart beat! I felt like part of the family.

Es gibt Orte, die Sie ankommen, und Sie fühlen sich nicht wohl, gab es nichts Negatives, aber ich fühlte mich nicht gut und so war es mit diesem Hotel.

Perfect staying that I would definitely suggest. Only one critique: the hostel is closed -for everyone, including guests - from 1pm to 4pm. This is rather inconvenient if you need to get back home for some reasons (ex. when i was there it was raining a lot and I decided to go back at the hostel but the door was locked!!!).

Usually I'm not writing any reviews, but this guesthouse is the best I been in japan so far. The place is small and cozy with a family atmosphere, the couple run the place are so nice and friendly that made all the my experience in nikko to a great one. They help me not only to travel in nikko area, but they recommend me of places in all japan.

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Israel

Great location near the train and great staff.

I did FEEL AT HOME at Sumica Guesthouse! Kumiko-san and Satô-san are the best hosts I found in Japan and they made me feel at home. Their house is just a couple of minutes from the train stations and the bus stop, so you won’t find a better location in Nikko. In my opinion, the best guesthouse in Japan due to their familiar atmosphere: Kumiko-san and Satô-san are so kind and have excellent recommendations for their guests: Nikko, Chuzenji-ko, onsens and restaurants... Thanks for everything!

Located very close to the train station, and a short bus ride (or about 20 minute walk if you prefer) from the main sites. Hostel was clean and all the friendly staff spoke English and were very helpful offering advice on where to visit while in Nikko.

These guys are great. Awesome hostel. Great staff and guests and excellent facilities. Thanks!

Great hostel! Rooms are clean and comfortable, the building is amazing; very authentic but with modern facilities! Staff were great, helped us cook various japanese dishes and even came to wave us off at the train station! Best hostel I have stayed in to date!

A great little guesthouse with traditional charm and very friendly and helpful staff! Though I arrived quite late on the final night of the Yayoi Festival, the owners stayed in to wait for me and even drove me to the festival after I checked in. The location is also convenient, being right next to the transportation hub (but no worries about noise at night!). Will definitely try to have a longer stay there if I go back to Nikko!

Very near to the JR and Nikko train stations,15-20 min to the main temples, the owner is very nice, will go out of her way to make your stay a delight

I love this guesthouse, very close to train and bus station, a minute walk away from buying food to souvenirs. Fantastic staff :) two thumbs up!!! I will stay here again for sure.

Hostel is located 2 min walk from JR station. It is a 15 min walk up the main street to the sightseeing areas. Hostel can be quite cool during colder months but our room had very warm space heater. The hosts were able to help us with recommendations for meals.

A lovely little hostel in a charming house. The staff were very welcoming with helpful guidance (and a much needed umbrella and tea).

It was a very nice stay. The owner were helpful and sympathic. The location is perfect, next to the bus- and trainstation. The room was small. We just had two small daypacks and our roommates as well. But with four backpacks there would't be enough space. There are also no locker. But the autmosphaere is nice. For a short time in Nikko we would recommend it.

My favourite place to stay so far. Kumiko San and Sato San are very friendly and make you feel right at home. Close to both train stations and easy access to everything in town. And the house itself is very classy