Nimmos Hostel Reviews

1 Upper Dominick Street, Galway, Ireland

Not such a bad hostel.. Security is pretty terrible (front door open so anyone can walk in, room doors not locked through the day, no lockers) but I got around that by padlocking my locked bag to the bottom of my bunk :D very cheap for a weekend night, and fabulous location. Man who runs it is pretty funny and has good stories! Was my 2nd stay and would come again, cheapness makes it worth it!

• 11th Apr 2014

Too much work for Jim on his own! Contactability easily to improve.

Really noisy place, people screaming and drinking all night long, doors slapping. Really dirty, I even think that the bed sheets were already used by someone else. The only good point is the location.

• 5th Apr 2014

The staff is perfect, but the cleaning is not in rooms, and some of our stuff disapeared.

• 4th Apr 2014

VERY noisy hostel, we were able to sleep just because we were really tired but you feel you are sleeping inside a club. It is a strange hostel, just a man looking after it. They are refurbishing it so the bathrooms, kitchen and mattress are new. No lockers in the hostel. I would say the value for money is okey as the rest of hostel in Galway go from the 15/19 euros and here we paid 9.

Wasn't as bad as we imagined from the reviews but it wasn't great. Room was full on the Saturday night, good to meet other people. Good location only a short walk to the pubs etc.. Jim was friendly and it seemed as though it was just him running the place so couldnt expect much in terms of upkeep. Only us and another girl in the dorm on the sunday night, felt rather scary as there wasnt any security. Not bad to rest our heads

• 29th Mar 2014

The lack of security was my biggest issue...there were no lockers in the rooms and no luggage room. Luckily, my friend and I were the only ones in our dorm room. Otherwise, I would have been sleeping next to my suitcase all night. The front door to the hostel doesn't always close all the way either. They could use some more staff also. There were a couple times I tried unsuccessfully to find someone with questions.

When I first checked into Nimmos I was a little worried because there was trash everywhere and the overall vibe was just kind of...strange. If you dont mind unclean surroundings and a weird vibe, this place is so great for the money. Only 10 euros a night, can't really beat that if you're on a budget. However, there are lots of really great hostels in Galway. A friend was staying in a hostel more toward the city center for 15 euros a night and it also included a free breakfast...

• 17th Mar 2014

Just because of Jim and his stories about traveling abroad Nimmos Hostel worth it! :)

• 15th Mar 2014

I stayed just one night for a concert but I would definfetly go back. Very good location and very nice people.

nice hostel. would stay there again

The hostel looks as if it’s undergo refurbishment. Everywhere there are cans of paint, rags, rubbish. It's dirty! In the hostel there are only two toilets and two showers (not lockable). The rooms are cramped and there is no where to put things. Very noisy environment - a lot of music and noise. Residents of the hostel are drinking alcohol inside the permice. There was one member of Staff and he was nice and had a sense of humor; tries to help, but this is not what makes up a terrible impression

• 21st Feb 2014
  • Poland

sorry for the disorder during your stay we have just upgraded our other shower room and it is open now. we were waiting on door for one of the shower rooms and had to use curtains in the meantime but the doors have arrived and are being fitted. we are next to galways two best live music venues so we cant do too much about that but most guest come for them and love the music. we do allow drinking in moderation. we are getting laptop safes and luggage locker in april. thanks for your feedback

That was probably the worst hostel I've ever been to. And I've been to a lot. As I'm working as a hotel receptionist & housekeeper myself I know how to conduct a hotel. But this place was a complete mess. Absolutely filthy and shabby! Obviously they were right in the middle of a renovation process but they were doing everything at once. You better do one project after the other, so you're still able to maintain the service and the hygiene. But this was not the case.

terrible. The place was super dirty, didn't even feel comfortable enough to take a shower. No lockers and was told "don't worry if you loose your key, theres always enough people here to let you in." Not maintained well at all. Loud and next to an outside bar...we got little to no sleep.

• 7th Feb 2014

The guy who ran it was lovely and very helpful. Looks a bit dingy from the outside but if you want a good time and want to stay in a place with lots of people and fun then this is perfect! Very good value for money! Really enjoyed it!!

• 7th Feb 2014

What a pleasant surprise Nimmos was :) there were 10 of us there for new years eve in a 10 bed dorm that was small but beds were very comfortable and it was lovely and warm. As soon as we arrived we met Jim who gave us the friendliest welcome and is one of the nicest hostel staff i have met. The hostel was buzzing and had a great atmosphere. The curtain in the shower makes having a shower a bit awkward but was managable. Would definitly stay again. Definitely a sociable party hostel though :D

Good location and nice staff. Just one bathroom for a floor wasn't ideal and the showers only had curtains, not doors. It was cheap, though.

The place was a complete mess. There were no proper breakfast even it should have been included in the price. The furniture in the rooms was too old and there were doors, bed stairs and windows broken which made the room even colder and there were no proper heater. Tha bathrooms were dirty and most of them broken as well.

• 30th Nov 2013
  • Spain

either the window is broken or the electricity and in another room there is no handle , you chose.. lol the toilets are a bit distroyed but there was hot running water. creepy hostel

• 30th Nov 2013
  • Poland

great place...great people...great jim...

• 23rd Nov 2013