Nimmos Hostel Reviews

1 Upper Dominick Street, Galway, Ireland

Very loud with street noise. The place was... Dingy, I guess would be a good way of putting it. Cheap, but not really worth it.

Nimmos is the cheapest place to stay in Galway. I have to say it is one of the least good hostels i have stayed in, though the owner/manager is a nice chap. It's probably not to place to go if one is looking for a good night's sleep. The hostel is located near two of Galway's premier live music venues so there was a lot of noise. Other guests were rowdy and uncontrolled.

Nimmos is in a very loud location. Expect excessive noise from outside between 11pm and 4am (rock bands, yelling, taxis honking). The staff was very friendly. The beds were okay, but the bathrooms were less than satisfactory--expect unclean showers and no hand soap at the sink.

• 20th Feb 2015

Not sure what all the negative reviews are for in particular. It's a cheap hostel and you get what you pay for! Clean bed, cooking facilities, decent bathrooms. It's certainly not amazing, but the guy that runs it is lovely, and it's in a good location with a good atmosphere. I was nervous after reading the reviews, but was happily surprised that it was as expected for such a cheap room. As mentioned, there are no lockers, or locks on doors, but if you pack accordingly that's no issue.

• 20th Feb 2015

good location, nice owner, good price! not top of the range, and no lockers for those travelling and wanna look up their valuables, but other then that its fine

• 31st Jan 2015

Note that the hostel is the building BEHIND the stone building. And the TV and DVDs were not there when I visited. However, it was cheap.

• 16th Jan 2015

The place is very near to the center, the staff is nice. The only problem for me are the bathrooms and the showers. The prices are cheap.

• 10th Jan 2015

Highly overpriced and there should be some sort of curfew so the lights go off the guests that were in our bedroom kept the lights on all night and set the fire alarm off so no sleep was gotten.

• 31st Dec 2014

Jim and Charles were both great craic. Thanks for getting us into the extra room for the night.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

We didn't even stay in this hostel. I have stayed in some pretty bad places but this place was the worst. Nobody even answered the door when we tried to check in. A guest walking out let us in. The staff wasn't there and a guest suggested we leave our things by the trash. The entire place was filthy and it looked like it was out of a horror movie. It's certainly the cheapest place in Galway but it is worth the extra money to book a place you can actually stay in.

Very dirty, uncomfortable beds, cramped conditions, heater was broken, toilets were an absolute state wasn't great overall but it was cheap so what was I expecting

• 14th Nov 2014

There was no manager present to check us in at our check-in time. We waited for a half an hour until someone finally came. When we were checked in, we were not given a key and they kept the door to our room unlocked. The place was also a mess! Very filthy! Trash everywhere going up the stairs. Not recommended!!!

Good hostel.

Occasional bathroom cleaning would be appreciated as well as doors on the showers.

Dining area is where people meet up and have a little chat, it's nice equipped and got all the things you need basically. Rooms are simple and comfy, got this little night light for each bed, it's sweet! And of course one plug for each bed. Sometimes there's no heating in the bedroom but it doesn't really freezes you, the blanket/quilt is warm enough. Showers are nice, need to press the button ev' few seconds but that's fine, no shelves. Toilets are clean. Staffs are super nice and easy going.

• 5th Nov 2014
  • Taiwan

The man that worked there was great, very friendly. Bathrooms weren't great due to others not cleaning up after themselves. Quiet smelly when you walked in. But great location buy all shops, pub etc and the place right across the road had the best burger I have ever had (some chicken fillet one) overall average stay.

Very gentle stuff, giving advice, if asked for. Very nice hostel. Next time again!

• 26th Oct 2014

Great staff, low prices, nice people

• 25th Oct 2014

It's a good value but at night it's very noisy because of the pubs in front of the hostel. For me that was the main disadvantage.

The organization at cheking in the hotel was not very professional, but the staff was nice. I specially liked the location of the hostel, and the room and beds were clean. But the heating system wasn't well located in my room, I had a electrical big radiator working too close , in front of my head.