Nimmos Hostel Reviews

1 Upper Dominick Street, Galway, Ireland

Need to fix the broken shower door - only one shower for the entire hostel isn't great. Also, nowhere to securely store valuables - lockers would be a vast improvment. Rooms were quite cold, and the window catches were broken/old. In saying that, when the room was full at night it wasn't so bad temperature-wise.

I cannot understand the previous negative reviews. Nimmos is great value. The owner is kind, interesting and helpful. The beds comfortable and the common area relaxing. The place is clean where it needs to be, but don't look closely at the carpet!!! We would definitely return.

Corridors look very old and rundown. There is a nightclub in the basement of the house that was very noisy. Didn't get to sleep therefore. Bathrooms seem to be renovated but broken again.

Stayed at Nimmos for one night, came in late from the pubs around and left early in the morning to continue the journey. Didn't use the kitchen or WiFi, just needed a place to sleep. Beds were comfy and with the ear plugs in, it was good rest. Shower was not busy in the morning in the top floor, but it's rather tiny and not much space to store stuff in the room securely. Price is ok for what you get and the location is good (not even 5 mins walk to city center). No locks on the doors.

I'm a travelling musician, stayed one night and I loved it. I met some really lovely people and we had fun. The staff are sound. It's cheap, so don't go here if you're the kind of tourist or backpacker that expects a lot. If you want a bed and you want to meet great people and you want to visit Galway on a tight budget, go to Nimmos.

• 28th Aug 2015

if you're fine stayingin a hostel in a bad state with a nightclub next door (NOISES!) you will think it's okay. i payed 10euros per night, so i kinda was alright with it (though i hated the nightclubsounds until 2/3am!) another thing is the bathroom: you have 2 showers. one is freezingly cold (no warm water during my stay) and the other one is broken, so everyone coming into the toilet/bathroom could see you naked. so better bring a big towel and some oropax before you go there ;)

It was quite disgusting. The owner(?) most of the time isn't there when you need him. The beds weren't made. The shower-doors are made of glass which means everyone can see you take a shower. Also there's no place to put your clothes while in the shower. The garbage is just put in the kitchen everywhere. It's been the worst hostel I've been to for sure.

• 21st Aug 2015

Even if the Kitchen itself may be new, nothing was clean (sticky, bags with refuse everywhere, no towels to dry dishes) - and the owner/ guy at the reception (which is the kitchen !) didn't clean anything. But because of fresh air he opened every single room door so everybody could walk in and out as he wanted (I had my things in there !). I only had a room key because the door knob was broken, but wasn't able to lock the door anyhow. The bed was older than me, the curtain was mouldy as hell

Although some facitlities are really modern (brand new kitchen and bathrooms!) this hostel is one the worst I´ve ever stayed at. I feel really sorry for the elder man (not sure if he's the owner) since he seemed really overstrained. He was really nice and helpful but this doesn't help the fact that this hostel desperately needs a reorganisation! During our stay (2 nights) we haven't seen anyone who cleaned the house. Some of the sheets were dirty and the windows and curtains were moulded :(

Very nice hostel very nice people just a walk away from bars and bus/train station. Breakfast was only jams and toast but we didn't mind. Showers worked great beds were clean and comfortable. We could hear noises from bars outside but ear plugs worked great

• 18th Aug 2015

The wifi wasn't good and it was a bummer that there were no lockers. If this doesn't bum you out, I'd still recommend it. The owner is very nice and I don't think you'll find any cheaper in Galway!

The hostel is very old. There are few bathrooms and shower. It is very well locatedlocated and so there is a lot of noise. The bedrooms are much better than the other places, confortable beds.

very cozy and nice place, nice people. good chances of socialising and nice host! also very cheap. my favourite on my trip in ireland

The whole place has to be cleaned much better in the lines at least and the fridge

• 16th Aug 2015
  • Colombia

Its one of the cheapest hostels we stayed in but also the dirtiest place in the world. The toilets were horrible and with the beds we weren't sure if they got changed everytime a new guest arrived..the announced breakfast did not exist and the kitchen was ugly and dirty.

• 16th Aug 2015

Very basic. Lockers in rooms would be good

It's a budget hostel. Good for one nights stay, Galway is overpriced so this is the basic.

Probably one of the worst hostels I have ever stayed in. From the moment we arrived we were shocked at the state of the outside of the building and thought things couldn't get worse, but they did. It was filthy. Rooms, toilets everything was filthy. We ended up just sleeping on top of the beds as there was no way we would get inside.

• 14th Aug 2015

internet didn't work, key to room didn't lock

Great location in relation to Galway main St and good value for money! Mixed Bathrooms weren't to impressive with no shower rooms to change and only two toilets for a whole floor, however for only one or two nights it was good enough.