Nimmos Hostel Reviews

1 Upper Dominick Street, Galway, Ireland

The owner of this hostel was incredibly nice and curious. He made sure the place was extremely clean. That being said, we went to this hostel on the weekend of the Galway races. There is a bar downstairs that blares music until 6am. Many of the people staying partied all night long loudly and left a mess of puke in the bathroom. I would say that many of the patrons are Inconciderate but I'm sure it depends. It was ok for a few nights but I wouldn't recommend it on race weekend.

• 1st Aug 2014

At first glance Nimmos is not too easy on the eyes but our room was perfect, the owner was sound and the craic was had!

• 30th Jul 2014

Bookked to stay during raceweek. Didn't like it whatsoever. Location was grand and that's about it. No ladder to top bunk. No rail. Room door could be pushed open if wanted. Might as well have had me bed in the street below the noise. Was that bad. Paid for 4 nights for the 4 of us Stayed the first night and slept for 1 hour. Bolted at 9 am the next morning and didn't return.

• 28th Jul 2014

The street right beside our room was really noisy during the night (weekend) but the man whose the hostel is was nice and the room ok. Good mood.

No lockers, but the hostel is in a great location! Very noisy at night however

The hostel is located near the city centre and if you come to Galway to party, it's a great hostel to stay with. If you want to sleep before 2 o'clock, you may look for another hostel, because under the hostel are a few pubs and nightclubs, so it can be really loud! For Breakfast you get toast. The beds were clean and the bathrooms were okay, too. There is free wifi and the kitchen/sittingroom is great too cook and meet other people!

Absolutely revolting! Only stayed a night. The staff were nice though.

• 16th Jul 2014

I had a great stay at Nimmos Hostel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the bedrooms where fine, with wall sockets by every bed. Toilets and showers where clean, and the kitchen was great. The atmosphere was very nice, and to me the location was perfect, away from Galway centre and all the turist bars and attractions. The only problem is security, it would be nice to be able to rent a locker. For the price I paid I would not be able to find a better hostel, nor a better atmosphere!

thanks for the nice feedback. we have have plug sockets at each bunk in the 4 , 8 and 12 bed female dorms so far and we hope to get them in the other dorms soon :) we do plan to add lockers soon so be sure to come back again :) thanks

The most disgusting place I have ever stayed ! It was dirty and smelly and cramped . Also our door didn't close and therefore the lock didn't work . It was aweful

• 11th Jul 2014

The hostel itself was fine. It look like it was falling apart a bit in the hallways, but it was still good and it was clean. Bring soap-- there was none in the bathrooms. I have one complaint: the location was right in front of the back of some kind of night club. Loud music, drunk people, crashing bottles, and other LOUD noises went on until about 3 am. If your goal is to sleep, you might want to consider that.

• 10th Jul 2014

The rooms had no keys so everyone could enter any room. The whole hostel was dirty. Breakfast very modest.

Nice place and great staff!

TEverything was broken. The shower didn't work, the electricity as well (I cannot charged my phone). The room was definitly dirty. I found hair and spots on my bed and the sink was full of old toothpaste. Nobody cleaned it. not recommended

• 5th Jul 2014

We were in a dirty and dilapidated room and had no room key. The staff were nice, and I suppose the facilities were ok, but I would probably not stay again.

From the outside we were very worried about what the inside might be like but it was perfect. We were a group of 12 boys in Galway for the weekend and it was perfect for us. Location wise we couldn't ask for any better and the staff were very friendly. Would certainly stay here again.

• 27th Jun 2014

thanks for the nice feedback :)

Very good value for money. Recently refurbished. Good location in the city centre.

Other comments on here say that security is a problem, but we didn't find it to be one. Sure, the front door doesn't lock, but upon request we received a key to our room... so you don't really have to worry about stuff being stolen. The bathrooms are coed, not super clean but not the worst. There is no soap though, so make sure to bring your own. It is pretty noisy at night, with pubs across the street and traffic, so be sure to bring ear plugs as well!

• 20th Jun 2014

Had a very good time while staying at Nimmos Hostel. It was inexpensive and I always felt welcome by the staff and other travellers. Bathrooms were very clean and modern.

• 14th Jun 2014

we are delighted you enjoyed your stay hopefully you'll be back soon :)

I think that is should be noted that they are located above a strip club and across the street from a casino. It was very noisy and very difficult to sleep. There was gum on all of the bed posts, which should be cleaned off. There was also lots of hair on beds and pillows.

• 14th Jun 2014

The ceiling leaked on one of the girls in our group (on the 1st floor which means it came from the bathroom not from rain) , the beds were not clean there were hairs in them and such. Not a fun experience at all.