Nimmos Hostel Reviews

1 Upper Dominick Street, Galway, Ireland

Nice hostel, nothing to complain about. Good location, nice owner.

Clean rooms and common areas, most likely improved from other reviews. Free breakfast (toasts) included. Would have enjoyed more bathrooms/showers and safe storage. The Jim guy is as nice as the other reviews say.

• 10th May 2014

The hostels was perfect, good situation, very clean. Staff was very kind. Bed confortable for a very good price.

• 10th May 2014

What I liked most was the atmosphere, since there were very friendly people, so that I was talking and meeting with them all the time. However, the place in general was so dirty, especially the Kitchen, where I did not feel comfortable: there was a pan with food for some days, the hobs were pretty sticky, and the clean clothes were disgusting... In short, I really think that Nimmos was expensive if you take into account the conditions. However, the atmosphere made me to have a good time.

In general, sleeping there it was excellent! Little noisy during the night (it was friday night... and in Galway...) Nice people there !

Good to stay a few days.

At first sight, the hostel did not look really good, but it wasn't the first time that I had such impression, so I decided to give a try anyway. The location was good, near the river, close to the pedestrian zone, perfect for me. The room was clean, even if not really quiet because of the pub near, it was still a good place to sleep, and confortable. A really good kitchen and free small breakfast. And the owner, was definately the nicest I've ever met in an hostel. It was really worth it.

The room was dirty and it was very cold. The heating didn't work. The window didn't close. The bathroom was dirty.

We had a very welcome on a clean place!

all it was perfect

Not such a bad hostel.. Security is pretty terrible (front door open so anyone can walk in, room doors not locked through the day, no lockers) but I got around that by padlocking my locked bag to the bottom of my bunk :D very cheap for a weekend night, and fabulous location. Man who runs it is pretty funny and has good stories! Was my 2nd stay and would come again, cheapness makes it worth it!

• 11th Apr 2014

Too much work for Jim on his own! Contactability easily to improve.

Really noisy place, people screaming and drinking all night long, doors slapping. Really dirty, I even think that the bed sheets were already used by someone else. The only good point is the location.

• 5th Apr 2014

The staff is perfect, but the cleaning is not in rooms, and some of our stuff disapeared.

• 4th Apr 2014

VERY noisy hostel, we were able to sleep just because we were really tired but you feel you are sleeping inside a club. It is a strange hostel, just a man looking after it. They are refurbishing it so the bathrooms, kitchen and mattress are new. No lockers in the hostel. I would say the value for money is okey as the rest of hostel in Galway go from the 15/19 euros and here we paid 9.

Wasn't as bad as we imagined from the reviews but it wasn't great. Room was full on the Saturday night, good to meet other people. Good location only a short walk to the pubs etc.. Jim was friendly and it seemed as though it was just him running the place so couldnt expect much in terms of upkeep. Only us and another girl in the dorm on the sunday night, felt rather scary as there wasnt any security. Not bad to rest our heads

• 29th Mar 2014

The lack of security was my biggest issue...there were no lockers in the rooms and no luggage room. Luckily, my friend and I were the only ones in our dorm room. Otherwise, I would have been sleeping next to my suitcase all night. The front door to the hostel doesn't always close all the way either. They could use some more staff also. There were a couple times I tried unsuccessfully to find someone with questions.

Although a little rundown, this hostel was very inexpensive and in a decent location. There is a nice walking street nearby with lots of bars, restaurants, and shopping. The bar across the street has traditional Irish dancing on several nights throughout the week and is well worth a visit. Traditionally Irish and very fun. The kitchen at the hostel was nice and had an open common area. The gentlemen running the place was very nice.

When I first checked into Nimmos I was a little worried because there was trash everywhere and the overall vibe was just kind of...strange. If you dont mind unclean surroundings and a weird vibe, this place is so great for the money. Only 10 euros a night, can't really beat that if you're on a budget. However, there are lots of really great hostels in Galway. A friend was staying in a hostel more toward the city center for 15 euros a night and it also included a free breakfast...

Just because of Jim and his stories about traveling abroad Nimmos Hostel worth it! :)

• 15th Mar 2014