Nomads Auckland Reviews

16-20 Fort St, Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Arrived and was told my booking was for a female-only dorm, and that I'd thus have to find somewhere else to stay. However, my confirmation email clearly showed that I was booked in a 12 bed mixed dorm. No apology from their staff for the mix-up. Luckily, there are other hostels on the same street. And so if nothing else, the good location of the hostel paid off!

• 12th Apr 2015

Hi Kim, I apologise for any mix up that occured on your arrival and am not sure why you were placed in a 6 share female dorm when you booked a 12 bed mixed dorm? Occasionally the online systems do have booking glitches and I assume we must have been full in that staff were unable to upgrade you or find a suitable alternative. Please contact me in advance if you are passing back this way and I would like to make it up to you! Kind regards

Blonde young girl on reception miserable and has an attitude problem.

Good location for transport And staff very hhelpful. A little noisy for sleeping and room was very hot, can't imagine what it would be like in summer.

They shouldn't have had 8 beds in there. Six would have sufficed. Also, not very smart when they put the ladder to the top bunk against the wall. Now I have to jump up and down and it's annoying and loud for the other guests. However, still a nice place to stay and I would stay there again if I were headed to Auckland.

We had a great stay at Nomads Auckland. Hostel is very clean & tidy and looks like it has around the clock cleaners to make sure it stays this way which was good. Reception is 24 hours and the staff are very friendly and helpfully. They offer free city walking trips which is a massive bonus especially if you are new to Auckland and the wi-fi was fast and only cost $4 for 24 hours. There are a lot of hostels in Auckland but we would definitely choose to stay here again and recommend to friends.

• 20th Mar 2015

One particular Scottish man was very rude behind the counter. I'd go elsewhere just for that. The bar staff were great. My room was smelly. It was a private room. Loud and over the bar which didn't give much rest. My bed fell through when I laird down. There were no slats. Made it work. Wifi cost $4 but it was great. I'd stay elsewhere there are more hostels to choose from.

Very helpful staff, available at all times.

As an older person who knows and accepts the constraints of a cheap bed in a shared dorm, I found this hostel to be well organised, clean, friendly and accommodating. While city noise can be a hindrance to a good nights sleep if you are not used to it, its central location is a huge plus to any day or night time entertainment and a very short walk to the US consulate.

• 16th Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

Really nice hostel, only issue was the rooms where boiling and there's no fans and as its in the city it can be very loud in the evenings, but that's what you get for being in the city! Also found that the atmosphere was a bit flat, no one really wanted to talk to anyone else, but that's not the hostels fault it's the people!

I only stayed for one night, but the bed was fine, the shower was fine, the place seemed clean, and the location was great. My only gripe is the wifi situation, which just seems to be a problem all throughout Australia and New Zealand both.

The staff where good helpful and freindly. But bathrooms could have been cleaner and the 8 bed dorm I had was pretty cramped. But hey for a busy city centre hostel it's not to bad!

Good hostel in central Auckland. Quite clean and huge amount of showers and toilets. Stayed in a 10 bed dorm and it had a good atmosphere. Perfect location, close to everything in the CBD. Rooftop deck area had great views but kitchen was somewhat dirty. Also, the line at reception was always quite long! Would stay again though, much better than Base!

• 8th Mar 2015

Good location. Love sitting on the bean bag on first floor.

Average. Grotty and downtrodden, I didn't get a good feeling in this place. In favour, toilet and shower facilities were plentiful and reasonably clean, and regular bar crawls run from the hostel. The rooms were dog-eared and security within the rooms themselves minimal. Wi-Fi access was both expensive and shoddy: a dire combination that is seemingly endemic in New Zealand. Few positives overall, but it'll do if your priorities are a bed in central Auckland on a tight budget.

Hi Joel, Thanks for your feedback and we are disapointed you found your stay less than satisfactory. Are you able to provide more information on the security and WIFI issues? To get into a room our guests have to get through 2 swipe card doors and we offer free WIFI downstairs in our travel shop between 8am and 7pm? Outside of these hours we offer $4 for 24 hours and $12 per week! Kind regards

I wasn't informed of the check out time for the next day. I was under the impression it would be the standard before 12:00. But on checking out I was told I was told I was very late as check out is earlier than 10.

Decent hostel with friendly staff. Great location in the city. Rooms were quite small and the bunk beds were really old and squeaked a lot!

When I got to the hostel, they didn't have keys for all guests, so a lot of people have to come in with another guests. That being said, I guess there were a lot of people sleeping in the hostel that were not guests and some of them even used other hostels bracelets. The room I stayed in could only fit 4 people comfortably or maybe 6 people with some space for the bags, but it was a 8 people dorm! I had no place to open my bag and I had to sleep with it in my bed!

4 bed ensuite dorm was tiny. it did have a window but it was a roof one, so couldn't be opened. the room was boiling

This hostel had good points-- it was right in the city, the staff in their travel help área next door was awesome, there were always showers and toilets available... But there were some bad points too-- the dormrooms are really hot, there was always a line down in reception, and because there were so many people staying here things like your food getting stolen out of the fridge were common.

Useful staff and excellent location

• 23rd Feb 2015