Nomads Auckland Reviews

16-20 Fort St, Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Despite the success that this hostel seems to have (there is a permanent queue at the reception - partially justifiable with staff's slowness), I didn't find it that great. I was in a 10-bed dorm which was ridiculously small. Seriously, there was barely space to walk. Plus, the staff was pretty incompetent, even though very friendly. I understand many staff members were new and needed training, but as a result in 2 days they denied that I had already paid, and overbooked my room several times.

I would not call that an hostel, it's more like a "bed industry". And the fact that you have to pay to get Internet more than 1h, it's a shame.

Ok, lost a couple of things and took about 10 trips to the desk before someone took us to have a look in lost property, they were there the whole time. Decent hostel, a little overpriced.

Room was awful, it was a double bed in a prison. No windows and an extremely small room, if we would have known this, we would not have booked at all, or left after one night. Three nights in that room was awful! Most of the staff were not great and I only wanted to use a kettle in the kitchen and there wasn't one! Would not use again!

• 31st Jan 2015

Good location. Pretty basic hostel, rooms were pretty hot but ok. Fine for a couple of days exploring the city. Mixed bathroom was a bit odd

You had to pay for wifi (nzd 4 per day or nzd 12 per week). There were only two plugs in each room (and almost everybody needs to use an adaptor so only one plug could be used! Very bad!! The bathrooms were clean and big enough. It was very hot in the room and our room was right in front of a bar which played very loud music in the evening.

Hi Isabelle, I hope the staff made you aware of the free WIFI downstairs in the travel shop between 8am and 7pm??? We wish you happy travels!

Genuinely had a good time here. Much better than the other hostels in town. Light sleepers and non party goers might find the street a bit loud.

If you are traveling to Auckland there is no better place to stay. Three minutes walking distance from the Harbor, 1 min from the bus stop to the airport. There is a good warm up bar/night club on the first floor and 4/5 night clubs 50m distance from the hostel. Huge variety of restaurants and shops nearby. Just perfect!

Nice hostel. Beds not that comfy but fine and my drawer locked but some didn't. Nice clean kitchen on top floor and adjoining bar was good too. Overall fine but the location was fantastic.

Hostel felt kind of crowded and a bit filthy. No Internet in the building unless you paid, and even when you did, the connection was unreliable. Did like the big security lockers in the room though, could fit our to big bags in one. But all and all, not for us.

Secure 24 hour luggage storage would be a great addition.

Very noisy hostel! Could hear doors slamming all night and boys running up and down the corridor knocking on doors and making noise - all night! Rooms were very clean.

HI Deborah, Thank you for rating the cleanliness of our rooms so highly. I am sorry it seems there were some unruly late night guests during your stay and I can assure you this is not the norm. Our Night Audit person does checks during the night and should have picked this up although it all depends on timing sometimes. Our reception is 24 hours and I hope you went and saw them to put a stop to it! Kind regards

Bed is not clear.

• 27th Dec 2014

HI Sheng, Are you able to provide more information about the bed not being clear? We generally dont seem to have any issues with this and it may be something simple that could have been addressed at the time. I hope you went and saw our awesome 24 hour reception team for assistance? Kind regards Nemo

Location is great and staff is super friendly. Rooms and bathrooms were very old but clean . Kitchen was absolutely filthy and gross. Didn't go near the area. Wifi paid services were cheap .

Excellent location. But it's a huge hostel. If you want wifi, you have to go next door (and it might or might not work).

Hi Judit, Thanks for rating our location so highly. There is also WIFI throughout the entire hostel at just $4 per day, it is only the free WIFI that is down in our travel shop which is open 8am to 7pm. I am sorry it sounds like there were issues with the WIFI down there during your stay as this is not common and if it is playing up we contact the provider asap who usually fix it immediately! We wish you happy travels Nemo

Nice hostel, nice dorms with huge underbed lockers. Great atmosphere, however a lot of long stayers who seemed to have their daily dramas aired in the kitchen (or corridor at night). Good facilities. Only bugbear is the kitchen is on floor 7, and there's only 1 very very slow lift. Prepare for the steps workout! Overall very good hostel.

massive hostel, kitchen gets far to busy, alcohol not allowed! WTF! you have to pay for the wifi.....overall, overpriced and below average. stay elsewhere (bamber house)

We stayed at Nomads for two nights in Auckland. It's right in the city center, which is nice. The atmosphere is a little more commercial than preferred, but the facilities were good and the place felt safe. We'd stay here again.

Emailed about rebooking and didn't get a response for over 24 hours.

• 22nd Nov 2014

Hi Sam, Thanks for placing feedback on your stay with us an we apologise for the delay in reply which is definitely not standard proceedure! We wish you happy travels!

The Hostel was overall good, however there where to many groups as a single traveller it was hard to find mind liked travelers. ( I got some bits...not happy)

• 22nd Nov 2014

Hi Inka, We hope you joined one of our free or cheap daily activities which are totally designed for adventurous, independent travellers such as your self. These include guided city tours, silo out door cinema, a rooftop bbq on a Thursday night and we even walk coast to coast on a Tuesday! I hope the awesome reception team made you aware of these adventures! The $1 pizza slices at the adjoining FSU bar on a Tuesday night are also a hit with our guests ! We wish you happy travels