Nomads Capital Backpackers Reviews

118 Wakefield Street, PO Box 11-247, Wellington, New Zealand

This hostel is a great fit for a short stay: situated right in the heart of Wellington, it takes 5 minutes to get to the waterfront, restaurants/bars, and all fun stuff in town. For this reason it might also be quite loud outside at night. Rooms aren't very spacious, but clean and pretty nice altogether. Everyone at the reception was really friendly and helpful. The only thing that sort of threw me off is the number of senior tour groups staying there (so not exactly a backpacker kind of vibe).

I stayed in a double room which turned out to be a twin with a double bed, score! Room was light and airy, ensuite bathroom was nice aswell. The free snack sized meal is a nice touch too, worth upgrading if you're feeling hungry! 2 bucks for dinner, shouldn't be sniffed at! If your room is situated over the courtyard, take earplugs. It was loud til about midnight on a Sunday with the windows open (it's summer, so obvs!), I imagine it's louder on Friday/Saturday nights. P.S. get a better elevator

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We did have an issue with the lift breaking down for a while on Sunday so apologies if that caused any inconvenience to you, thankfully we were able to have it back up and running again soon. Hope to see you back in Wellington again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

No free wifi, issues with shower drainage, quite a few disrespectful and loud guests. Overall the hostel was ok but the other guests were mediocre.

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your review. I'm sorry that you experienced some issues with other guests, this is not normally the case and I'm sorry that they affected your stay with us. I hope you spoke with the Reception team as they would have been more than happy to help or offer another room if this would have helped. I hope it didn't affect your stay too much and that we will see you again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

One of the better Nomads in NZ. Free/discount food & drink are very good. Lounge is nice and everything works. Rooms have good beds with power points. However, lack of windows & good ventilation is terrible. Kitchen facilities are also far too small for a hostel this size (can’t store food or cook very well). Staff & Booking system need improvement as guests often have to change rooms.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have a fairly small kitchen but find that the free meal in the evening does help to alleviate some of the pressure particularly at busy times. Food storage hasn't been an issue for us so I will be sure to look into this and see if there is something more that we can be doing to help that. Hope to see you back in Wellington again. Kate, Hostel Manager

You kept getting locked out of your room but the staff fixed the problem with your key. Great staff! You feel very safe and secure!

• 10th Jan 2015

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review and I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have a great team here so I'll be sure to pass your comments onto them. We did have a fairly old key system which we were experiencing some problems with this but it is being upgraded this week (almost complete as I type this!) which will make those problems a thing of the past! Hope to see you back in Wellington again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

Good hostel, good vibe, friendly staff...all round thumbs up.

Hello, thank you for your comments. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you back in Wellington in the future. Saoirse Holic, Hostel Manager

I liked this place. No complaints really

Hello, thank you for you comments. I am happy to hear that you liked your stay with us. We hope to see you back in Wellington in the future. Saoirse Holic, Hostel Manager

Awesome atmosphere and friendly staff! It is a dry hostel so alcohol cannot be consumed in the premises :( The bar next door is alright. They offer free dinner which is only a snack. You have to get up early to get some pancakes for breakfast. The dorm I was staying in was disgusting. Tiny window, bad smell, boiling, carpet, cheap metal beds. Had to turn on the fan the whole night. You should expect a bit more for that price. Still had a good time!

Hello, thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear about your room. This is not normally the standard to which we keep our rooms, so this is something which I will chase up with housekeeping. Hope to see you in Wellington again. saoirse Holic, Hostel Manager

Good place to stay in Wellington, if you want a bed in a very (!) central location... not outstanding, but just fine for exploring the capital. Staff is very friendly & helpful, kitchen & lounge quite small an very crowded, because it's the best place for internet reception. Dorms and bathrooms are okay. Free dinner & breakfast is a trick to give you a (too) small bowl and charge you any additional food. The bar next door has a discount, but is just too noisy at night for a drink&chat.

Located in the centre of the city, can be a little noisy at night due to music from the Blend bar next door. This does however stop at midnight. Staff great and very helpful, room good size (4x female dorm with ensuite) and clean. Free tea and coffee was a bonus. Wifi is not free, but only $4 for 24 hours. If you're in Wellington to enjoy the city life, this is a great place to stay!

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review and really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have a great team here so will be sure to pass on your comments to them and hope we will see you back in Wellington again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager.

Extremely nice hostel. Great facilities, clean, modern, excellent location. But it is a big hostel and it is more difficult to connect with people and make friends in larger hostels than it is in smaller ones

Long term people in the room just made the room dirty and messy. Too many long terms in the hostel. Free dinner is nice.

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review and I'm sorry to hear that there were parts of your stay that you weren't happy with. We don't advertise ourselves a long term hostel as often don't have high availability but I'm sorry that the other guest in your room made things messy. If you had spoken to our Reception team we would have happily offered you a different room. I hope it didn't affect your stay too much and that we might see you again. Kate, Hostel Manager.

Standard hostel without any real stand out features. Again with the poorly constructed iron frame beds.

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your review and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't think anything stood out about your stay with us, we work really hard to make sure all our guests enjoy their stay so hope that you might come back and give us another try sometime in the future. Enjoy the rest of your travels. Kate, Hostel Manager.

Top hostel. Free pancakes and small dinner at night. Good location and staff helpful.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your review and I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we'll see you back in Wellington again in the future! Kate, Hostel Manager.

Clean rooms with firm bunkbeds. It is a dry hostel which makes it a little more difficult to hang around and meet people (you are kinda forced to go to the bar next door if you want to have a drink). Too bad they don't organize activities in the hostel to interact more with fellow travellers

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review and I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have been doing organised activities in the bar around 3 times a week for a while but great news, we are now doing daytime activities as well which, as you say, is a great way to meet fellow travellers. Hope to see you back in Wellington in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager.

Very good all round hostel in a beautiful historic building.

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review on your recent stay with us and I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here as well as our lovely building. Hope to see you back in Wellington again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager.

It's all about the make your own pancake breakfast! So good. But it takes forever to get to make them, everyone lines up and waits around the kitchen. Otherwise having to pay for internet sucks, but the bathrooms were clean. The lockers in the room were so small though. It's a stop on the Stray bus route, just so you're aware. Great location and helpful staff for what to do in Wellington. Also they let you store your bag for the day.

Hey Kristen! So glad you enjoyed the pancakes! It's a relatively new thing for us and we are really pleased they are going down well! We hope to see you in Wellington again soon some time. Thanks! Lisa Reception Manager.

Unfortunately, the only night I stayed in Wellington was a Saturday night and I wasn't about going out... But so did all the others. In my dorm were no other travellers but only people that wanted to have a good party and a bed to fall into when drunk. The bunk beds were very loud and the person above me didn't have a calm sleep so didn't have I - at all. Actually that ruined my stay at Nomads, but the room itself was nice, and if you're not vegetarian is the free dinner good as well. pancakes!

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review and I'm sorry you didn't have the relaxing stay you would have liked because of the other guests in your room. Did you speak with anyone on Reception at all? They would have been more than happy to move you to another room so you could have had a more comfortable night's sleep. I'm glad you enjoyed the room though as well as our fantastic pancakes! Hope to see you back in Wellington in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

Amazing friendly staff and free breakfast :) close to All the night spots and walking distance to all tourist attractions :)

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review and I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have an awesome team here so I'll be sure to pass your comments onto them. Also glad you enjoyed the fantastic free pancakes, they are becoming very popular! Hope to see you back in Wellington again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager.

I enjoyed my stay here. The staff was very helpful in planning my stay in Wellington. The hostel has an excellent kitchen for guests, and the make your own pancake breakfasts were great. The only issues were: The beds were noisy if you moved and not particularly comfortable. No drinking your own alcohol on the premises. Poorly managed integration with the bar next door, they seemed to be catering to drinking tours rather then the guests.

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your review and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have a great team so I'm glad to hear that they were so helpful. I'm sorry you didn't find the beds too comfortable, we've actually just completed an upgrade on almost all of our beds including the room that you were in so hopefully you will get to come back and experience the new ones next time you are in Wellington. Kate, Hostel Manager.