Nomads Capital Backpackers Reviews

118 Wakefield Street, PO Box 11-247, Wellington, New Zealand

I stayed in a private room. The mattress was like sleeping on a marshmallow and the room was freezing, with only a tiny little foot heater mounted on the wall. The staff essentially kicked their backpacker guests out of the bar (by putting 'reserved' signs on all the tables) so that they could entertain a busload of Contiki trippers, who made a huge racket. No-one got any sleep, but I am sure the bar made a fortune.

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay. The heaters in the rooms are pretty effective but we do have plenty of spare blankets and hot water bottles if you need them just feel free to ask. We did have a group in the bar while you were here but we certainly wouldn't want to kick anyone out because of this. I'm sorry if the noise disturbed you though, we are always happy to turn the music down if this is the case.

This is a really nice hostel. It's so easy to feel at home here, a home with a fun bar next door! Getting breakfast and dinner included is great and the ensuite is a really nice touch. This was my 2nd stay and I'd be happy for a 3rd.

Everything was very clean EXCEPT for a condom besides one of the beds

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your review and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry that you had the misfortune to find an unwanted item by your bed, unfortunately with the larger dorm rooms this could have appeared after our Housekeeping team cleaned the room but I will certainly speak with them about it to make sure they are being extra vigilant with checks. I hope this didn't affect your stay too much and that we will see you again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

Nice hostel right in the city. 10 minutes to a big New World supermarket, and restaurants, shops and cinema etc are right around the corner. The hostel was clean but was loud from the Blend bar next door. You get a free small meal in the bar every night, it wasn't at all tasty when we were there, but hey, it's free!

Decent hostel. well located and good security. The lockers were the only real thing that I was dissapointed with. the room I had this time had a tiny locker, and some don't have lockers at all. You also have to pay for internet.

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. The lockers we provide are just intended for small valuables. If anything does not fit in there we are happy to look after anything for you in our safe. I hope you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay with us.

clean hostel, free dinner was a nice touch, even when the restaurant was closed they still gave us dinner. front desk staff not very helpful, knew nothing about parking but mentioned that someone got towed once (not very reassuring!). cozy lounge. (for anyone else driving, we didn't end up paying for a carpark, just parked for free overnight in front of the hostel, didnt get towed, then paid $5 during the day in a victoria street carpark.)

I am glad you enjoyed the hostel and free meal. I am very concerned to hear that you thought our staff were unfriendly, as you can see, we usually get great comments about our staff, however, this is an issue we take very seriously and will be looked in to. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

I enjoyed the hostel but the first floor gets a lot of noise from the bar downstairs. My room window couldn't be closed so it was cold all the time (room 110) and the key/power system sucks BIG TIME when you are not travelling in a group because as soon as the person who owns the key takes it out of the room everyone else losses the power (doesn't matter if it happens in the middle of the night) EXTREMELY ANOYING FOR HEATING AND CHARGING PHONES AND CAMERAS....

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that the bar was noisy during your stay. We do provide free ear plugs at reception and if you had spoken to any of our reception team we could have turned the music down or happily moved you to a different room. We use the key system for the electricity in order to preserve energy and help the environment - to prevent lights being left on unnecessarily. Again, if you had spoken to reception staff we could have helped here too.

Good hostel for a few days, not a lot happening though... But nice hostel in general! And awesome deals with the bar ! :)

• 27th May 2014

Hi There, Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad you liked our hostel and our awesome bar! It's a shame you felt there was not going on, Wellington was particularly quiet last week but we're working on improving that :) We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again.

Really good location near i-site and Cuba street. Small free small dinner in bar which is nice. Stayed in hostels all over NZ and this hostel has the squeakiest beds, horrible at night as impossible for people to get it and out of top bunk without waking whole room. Also the attached bar is very loud so ask for a room on 2nd or 3rd floor. Would stay again though.

Hi there, thanks so much for your review and I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you might have seen from some of the other reviews we are in the process of replacing all of our old bunk beds with brand new ones so we are fixing this problem but as you can imagine it is taking a little while so I'm sorry you were in one of the older beds. I really hope you'll come back again when we have all our new comfy (and quiet!) beds. Kate, Hostel Manager.

I stayed in a private room, which was very nice, clean, and own bathroom. The kitchen was good, staff was good and very welcoming. I recommend this hostel.

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review and I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the place comfortable and clean. We have a great team here who do all they can to make sure everyone is having a great stay so I'll be sure to pass your comments onto them and hope to see you again if you are back in Wellington in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager.

We had four people. We booked for a 6 person dorm and got upgraded to a 4 person en-suite. It was nice and clean. The hostel was located close to CUba street and we had fun shopping, going out around town and walking to the waterfront. Hard to find overnight parking, but we ended up finding a car park down the street. If you have a car consider it will be about 25-30 to park overnight in the city.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your free upgrade and found the place nice and clean. Parking can be a bit difficult when the city is busy but it is free to park on the road outside the building between 6pm and 8am each night although I do appreciate that longer term parking is more convenient. I hope this didn't affect your stay too much. Kate, Hostel Manager

Very nice hostel. Quiet, spacious room. Very nice clean bathrooms! Friendly staff. Only problem is they don't do weekly rates otherwise I would've stayed longer.

• 24th Apr 2014

Hi there, thanks very much for leaving your feedback and I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us, found the hostel clean and found our awesome staff nice and friendly, they are a great team! We don't currently offer a set weekly rate as we are still pretty busy but you are welcome to stay with us as long as you like provided that we have the availability. Hope to see you back again sometime! Kate, Hostel Manager.

No working internet. No alcohol even not in the room er the ask you the leave.

Hi there. As far as I am aware we have had no issue with internet in the past few weeks so I will certainly follow up with the rest of the team on this. Regarding the alcohol we are a dry hostel and therefore do not allow drinking in the rooms. We do not ask guests who are drinking to leave but we do ask that they leave their alcohol with us until they check out at which point we return it to them. I'm sorry if you were unhappy with this and hope that it didn't affect your stay too much.

Thank-you enjoyed out time and will book again.

A bit of confusion on my first night when I was allocated a room with no available beds because of other guests moving rooms but was given a nicer one instead. Free small meal each night, free tea

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm sorry about the confusion when you arrived. It sounds like someone in the room had spotted a free bottom bunk and jumped into it after our housekeepers had been in to clean. Glad to hear you got a nice upgrade though! Hope you're enjoying your travels and that we might see you back in Wellington again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

The free meal in the evening is really small....but it's free, so I'm not complaining! ;-)

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay with us and I'm really glad you enjoyed your time here. We offer a free small meal for everyone that stays here and there's also an upgrade option for a bigger size. The meal is just a snack size but still lovely to have someone cooking it for you and we have a full menu available too if you're still a little peckish! Glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

Enjoyed our stay. Located right in the center of Wellington. Only two things to criticize: 1. extremely squeaky beds 2. one employee was extremely unfriendly which resulted in our checking out one morning because we were told that we had to change rooms for the night we extended our stay and then being told 4 hours later at check-in that we would move into the same room we stayed in before. So a lot of hassle for nothing. Otherwise a nice hostel and good wifi for 4 $/24 h.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay with us. I'm sorry about the confusion with your room and very sorry that you found one of the team here unfriendly. I will contact you directly to follow up on this. With regards to the beds we are in the process of replacing all old and squeaky beds, I appreciate this doesn't help you now but wanted to assure you it was being addressed. Kate, Hostel Manager

Had all of my food stolen from the fridge. The staff didn't care and acted like it was a rare thing to happen. Then it happened to me again. Other guests I talked to reported similar experiences with their food. Anyone can walk in off the street and access the kitchen so I am not surprised this happens. A towel of mine was stolen too. Internet was slow even though you have to pay extra for it. Staff generally wasn't very friendly or helpful.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had an unpleasant experience while staying with us. It is very rare that we have issues with missing food but did have a few guests reporting this a while ago who, when they spoke to us, were given some basic essentials so that they were able to make something to eat. Things like towels can often be picked up by accident so always best to check with other guests as well as staff who would have been more than happy to help or provide a replacement for you.

Overall a good hostel

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your feedback and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Feel free to let us know if there is anything we can improve on and hope to see you back in Wellington again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

Free food in the evening which is great for ppl on a small budget, hostel is quite clean and really save

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review. Really glad you found the hostel clean and felt safe here. Great news that you enjoyed the free snack meal too, always nice to have some free food AND have someone cook it for you! Enjoy the rest of your travels and hope to see you back in Wellington soon. Kate, Hostel Manager