Nomads Capital Backpackers Reviews

118 Wakefield Street, PO Box 11-247, Wellington, New Zealand

The beds are awful. They make a squeak even with the slightest of moments. The amount of noise they make when you climb the bunks is ridiculous. Beyond that, the nomads is in a fantastic location in Wellington.

• 12th Feb 2014

Hi there and thanks so much for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed our awesome location, we are lucky to right in the middle of everything here. I'm sorry you found the beds squeaky, I can assure you I am replacing many of the beds at the moment. I had hoped to do it sooner but with such a busy Summer it just wasn't possible. I hope we will see you back in Wellington again in the future and you can try out our new beds. Kate, Hostel Manager

good place for a place to stay.

The cards only open the doors 1 out of 8 attempts if your lucky and this is something everyone in the hostel experienced. Also, not being able to leave your phone on charge whilst you're out due to the keycard being required to have any electricity in your room is a big disadvantage. I strongly recommend finding a substitute for your security system.

• 10th Feb 2014

Hi there, thanks very much for your feedback. I'm sorry you had issues with your key card during your stay, we do have some issues with this from time to time but the system is regularly maintained to ensure it is working well but I apologise that this inconvenienced you. The key card electricity is to enable us to be more environmentally friendly with our power usage but if you are heading out we would be happy to charge a phone for you at reception no problem at all. Kate, Hostel Manager

Great hostel its right in the middle of the city with large clean room.... BEER PONG

Stayed for just 2 nights, was very clean and in a good location. 4 bed dorm I stayed in was a bit small though.

Hi there, thanks very much for leaving your feedback and I'm really glad that you found the place so clean. We have a great Housekeeping team who work hard to keep it that way. I'm sorry you found the dorm a little small I will have a look and see if there is any way of rearranging things in some of the rooms to allow a little more space so thank you for your feedback. Hope to see you again if you are back in Wellington in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager.

really enjoyed my time there and the staff were friendly. we had a light in our room that was on the blink and I informed the staff and when I came back after a quick tour it was fixed

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay with us and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Sorry to hear you had an issue with your light but glad to hear that our awesome maintenance man fixed it up nice and quickly! Hope to see you again if you are back in Wellington in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager.

4 bed female dorm was small, but the bathroom was luxuriously spacious and excellent in every way. You don't have to worry about cold nights, you can tune the room temperature to be the way you like it. Free tea and coffee is a plus too :)

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm sorry you found the room a little small but I'm glad you enjoyed the luxurious bathroom and the heating in your room. I'm also glad you took advantage of the free tea and coffee, always nice to have some home comforts when you're travelling! Hope you got your free evening meal in the bar too! Enjoy the rest of your travels and hope to see you again in Wellington in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

Room was clean, but the bathroom was not cleaned at all!

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay with us. I'm glad you found your room clean but I'm really sorry that you found the bathroom was not clean. I can see you stayed for just one night so it looks like it might have been mistakenly missed by our Housekeeping team and so I am very sorry for that. Did you speak to anyone at Reception? They would have been more than happy to sort this out for you. Kate, Hostel Manager

Very tall squeaky bunk beds. Decent sized rooms with small lockers. Shelf to put your soap in the shower! Ok snack sized meals can be doubled for $2.

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Now the busy Summer period is nearing an end I will be replacing many of the bunks so should certainly alleviate those issues. I'm glad you took advantage of the free meal in our onsite bar too, always nice to have a meal cooked for you when you're away! Hope to see you back in Wellington again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager

Nice free dinner at the bar downstairs.

Had a decent stay at nomads. Chain hostels are predictable and not always the greatest but nomads was pretty good. No free wifi and the beds should really be replaced. Every time you moved a muscle on them they were so loud. The location of the hostel couldn't be any better though. Also know, which they don't tell you in the directions, that you can take a bus from the airport which is 9 NZD rather than the ridiculous shuttle or taxi they recommend. It's about a block from the Cuba st stop.

Hi there, thanks so much for leaving your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I understand your point with the beds and these are in the process of being upgraded, unfortunately it isn't a quick process especially at this time of year but we are rolling through with new beds. Thank you for mentioning the airport bus, this is what we usually recommend to guests and has now been added to the website. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels and that we see you again in the future.

The stay was really nice especially I enjoyed the daily light imbiss because in the bar you get to know so many new people. Furthermore the rooms are very good.

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay with us. I'm really glad that you were able to take advantage of the free meal in our bar and that you met some new friends. I'm really happy to hear that you were impressed with the rooms, we have a great team looking after them so I will certainly pass your comments on. Hope to see you again if you are back in Wellington in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager.

Staff very helpful especially when we had a unwelcome guest in the middle of the night. Sorted the problem very swiftly and even gave a refund for the inconvenience. Decent facilities. We were even able to use them after check out. Would recommend, the staff make this place. Also free dinner next door (v.small portion) nice. Worth $2 extra for bigger portion.

No free wifi !!! :( Update !

Directly connected to the bar next door thats where they want you to go and I think thats where the atmosphere is. Nothing wrong with that, its your choice if you want to hang out there or not. The facilities are OK bur the kitchen area a bit small considering the numbers of guests.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm sorry you found the kitchen a little small, we have been working on expanding it recently as well as creating more eating space both inside and out. We also provide a free meal in our bar each evening which we tend to find eases the congestion a little. We love to have our guests in the bar but do appreciate how awesome the rest of Wellington is though so understand that you will be keen to explore other places.

Great location! Just a short bus ride from the intercity bus/train station and it only cost $2 to boot! Just around the corner from a plethora of bars, clubs, cafés and restaurants (both fancy and fast food) . Te Papa museum, the beautiful harbour and picturesque Mt Victoria are within walking distance too! The rooms were a big problem though! They were really untidy and dirty (the fault of guests mainly) and super hot (it was only 18 degrees outside as well) - A/C is needed!

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed our great location. I'm sorry to hear that your room was untidy, we do have a great housekeeping team who work hard to keep the place clean and we do encourage people to keep their things tidy so I'm sorry this wasn't the case during your stay. I'm sorry that the room was hot as well, we are currently having fans installed in all large dorms so hope this will help to keep them nice and cool.

Location is great but dorm beds need replacing as some dont even stand up straight and make a ridiculous amount of noise if a slight movement is made. Also room was very warm and not a single fan. Evening meal was decent.

Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry that you weren't happy with your room. We are currently in the process of replacing bunk beds and although I appreciate this doesn't help you now we are aware of the situation and working towards a solution. We have also started installing fans in all large dorms today as the rooms are getting warmer as the weather gets better and plan to have this completed over the next few weeks which should make it much easier to get a good nights sleep.

Highlights of my stay: very friendly staff, nice fun atmosphere and value for money (free coffee and meal). Add free wifi and it'd be my favorite backpackers ever!

• 19th Nov 2013
  • Mexico

Hi there, thank you for your review and I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We have a great team here so I'm really glad to hear that you found them so friendly. We're really happy that we are able to offer the free meal, who doesn't love having someone else cook for them when they're travelling, and having it brought to your table in the bar too makes it a bit of a treat! I really hope you will come and stay with us again if you are back in Wellington in the future.

my stay was great, i was upgraded to a 4 bed private ensuite room. it was clean and spacious. there is lots to do in the area

Very cosy beds, the room was friendly and clean, as well as the bathroom. Very nice staff! Good area, I really recommend this hostel!

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback and I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have a great team that work really hard to keep the rooms cleaned to a high standard so I'll definitely pass your comments onto them. I'll also pass on your feedback on the reception staff, they are awesome and I'm so happy that they have made a difference to your stay. I hope we will see you in Wellington again. Kate, Nomads Capital Manager.