Nomads Fat Camel Hostel Reviews

38 Fort Street, Downtown, Auckland, New Zealand

Cheapest hostel we could find in Auckland, room with no windows. Kinda creepy and muggy, but the beds were really comfortable and clean. Staff is really cool and helpful!

• 9th Feb 2016

it's my fault for not looking properly before I booked, but there is no free wifi. The rooms are very hot, so the windows are open all the time, and there is a lot of street noise from the bar downstairs, traffic, people and buskers. There were only three pans and three forks between thirty odd people. Very well located, easy to get to.

Definitely a good stay for the price. Only downside was that it got a bit hot!

DONT book a basic dorm bed. Arrived late at night on a hot day to discover that 5 people had been allocated to a 4 bed dorm. As I had to get up in about 4h to catch a flight I didnt want to make a fuss about it and go back down to reception. Luckily a couple was sharing a bed so we could all sleep in a bed. It was very hot in the room (no windows) so we had to keep the door open. We were right next to laundry/ bathroom/ kitchen/ anything noisy so barely got any sleep.

it better do not allow using kitchen after 10pm,

• 25th Jan 2016

Room too hot

The hostel was not big, you have a kitchen at your own room/appartment but you have to share it with 20 other persons.

The dorms/shared rooms have NO WINDOW! I don´t know if all of them, but me and my friends stayed in 3 different rooms and none of them have window, and since you share it with another 5 people the rooms stink really bad! I have never seen a room with no windows in my life! It´s unacceptable. If you guys plan on having a night out and want to buy your own alcohol and drink in the hostel forget about it. This Hostel doesn´t allow you to drink in there, not even in your own room and kitchen.

• 8th Jan 2016

Hey Gabriela, We have a very old hostel and some of the rooms are situated in the middle of the build so therefore don't have a window. These are all 4 bed dorms and we offer these as our budget option for a much cheaper rate. I'm sorry you were unaware that the room that you booked was a no window room as it does clearly state it in the title and description...Budget 4 Bed Mixed Dorm No Window. These rooms are booked because they are the cheapest and sometimes the no window aspect it overlooked because of it. Yes we are a dry hostel as we have a fully licenced bar down on our ground floor and we offer $5 house drinks, so it's cheap as chips. We want our guests to come down and socialise, play some pool, maybe some beer pong and have a good time. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you all the luck for the rest of your travels. The Fatty Crew

The staff weren't very welcoming, the showers flooded and didn't drain properly. The walls of the room we were staying at leaked while it rained.

abit run down few little things need tidying eg door to shut on on shower so no water on the floor , social room and beds but thats everywhere!. give them credit we had like a apartment to share with a kitchen , sofas , different things organise every night to get the hostal together PLUS !!! little free meal but if upgrade for 5d u get a bigger meal and bar drink so thats a very gd deal , cheapest in city to stay

Hey Robert, Nice to hear the hostel was satisfactory for you but you are right, there are some things that need some maintenance attention which we have addressed. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip mate. The Fatty Crew

The Hostel is divided into apartments with their own kitchens and toilets. The rooms areare OK but there are only two power outlets for a dorm of 8. No internet, not too great atmosphere. Good location.

Hey Lorenzo, Yeah we're sorry for the lack of power points, some rooms have next to none and some have way too many...we can't seem to win :o) But we are due to have some renovations done so we'll be able to fix this all up then. We do in fact have wifi available at $4 for 24 hours and $12 for a week. It's a shame you weren't aware of this. Thanks again for your feedback. The Fatty Crew

Everything was ok, only problem was my bed. I was kind a falling apart . I like the location

• 9th Dec 2015
  • Czech Republic

Hey Denis, Thanks for your feedback. It's only when people like yourself make these issues known that I can go to the business owners with a full arsenal and ask for new beds :o) Hope the bed wasn't too bad for you. Enjoy the rest of your travels. The Fatty Crew

Very terrible. Room, was without a window. Dirty everywhere, needs maintenance and upkeep with cleanliness. Internet, not included complimentary, extra fee.

Hey Mikayla, Thanks for your feedback. You are correct and the hostel does need a lot of TLC as it is a very old hostel. We are planned to have some renovations done at the end of Summer so should be a massive improvement there. In regards to your room not having a window, as shown in the description, the room that you booked was a Female 4 Bed Dorm with No Window. Thanks again and we hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. The Fatty Crew

I had a nice stay here. Everyone was very friendly, and the location is pretty great. Downsides, my room was pretty smelly, and the kitchen was usually a mess, along with the bathroom. Rarely enough soap to wash your hands. Beds are pretty uncomfortable too, but it's okay for a short stay!

Very small room, no fresh air, not enough bathrooms and showers, when you took a shower it got too hot because theres no windows anywhere, had a 4 bed female dorm.

Good the 4 bed room, quite spacious. no lockers under the bed so very good to fit your luggage, but there are lockers near them. I didn't saw anybody clean the room, but it was clean enough. Very good the disposition, every floor has 2 apartaament with several bedrooms and its own kitchen and fridge. Free snack at the bar on the ground with an upgrade for a full meal. The lift was dangerous it closes while you're about to get in. some of the staff very good (Mitchyboy) some ...

I like this Nomads better than the other one. It had a good vibe, kitchen and lounge in each room. My complaint is the bathrooms, we had no toilet paper in any of the 3 toilets and when I asked they said they only had 1 roll left....

Think I found a bed bug on the common room couch, have been freaking out ever since. Me and my friend were gonna check back in but we actually ended up cancelling because of that. Other than that though it was a good stay.

• 12th Nov 2015

Not very clean at all. Always missing toilet paper. Could definitely invest in some new beds. Both madras was horrible to sleep on and as soon as your moved the whole bed shaked and made noice.

• 8th Nov 2015
  • Sweden

Good location if you want to be close to the party area of Auckland. There wasn't much atmosphere at all, the staff were not very attentive or enthusiastic like how front desk should be when welcoming visitors. The elevators and rooms were dirty. Not outrageously grubby just like there wasn't much attention to upkeep. 4 Bed dorms are very cramped with 4 people and all their luggage.