Nomads Fat Camel Hostel Reviews

38 Fort Street, Downtown, Auckland, New Zealand

Whatever you do, do not book the 8 bed dorms- far too small for that many people; making it too hot to even sleep. With the constant added noise of the outside bar and clubs playing music you will find it a struggle to get an hours sleep at the most. The other rooms are okay though- although you will still hear the loud music from the clubs and bars.

We spent the nights in a 8 bed room. The room was too small. It was hard to find a space for the luggage. The matress were so thin that we felt everything of this bed. Its really noisy in the night. The bathroom is too small and no space to put your clothes somewhere. The hostel wasnt that clean. Every night we had a free meal. It was ok but pretty small. The staff was nice and helped us a lot.

HI Franziska, Thanks for taking the time to place feedback on your stay and we are stoked you enjoyed the free snack meals and staff. The apartment you stayed in does have a small bathroom and 8 bed dorm set up so please advise us in advance if you would like to stay again and we will organise a room upgrade for you at no charge. We are waiting on a long promised building renovation by the owners that will involve new beds and mattresses! Kind regards

All my stuff got stolen by some bloody Foreigner staying with us in the same room highly recommend taking photos and names of room mates before leaving anything in your room and if they still steal your stuff got to the cops and get them deported other than that it's a good place with friendly people

• 19th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

Loud, late night music from the bar + early morning garbage trucks + stuffy rooms requiring open windows = no sleep. The apartment set up sounds great, but the facilities don't accommodate the needs of 30+ people. 2 toilets and 2 showers is simply not enough. The "extra" toilet in the stairwell is shared by multiple floors and is often occupied. The kitchen is tiny: a 4-burner stove, a full size fridge and mini-fridge for 30+ people?? We met people who'd had bedbug issues. Will not be returning.

Hi Katie, Thanks for taking the time to place feedback on your stay with us and we are devastated it did not live up to your expectations. With the great location the hostel can sometimes be noisy on weekends with windows open in the warmer months. I hope you were aware of the free snack sized meals in he bar each night and that there are toilet/showers on all stairwell landings not just one! A long promised upgrade of the building by the owners which will see one brand new kitchen on level 1

DISGUSTING. Didn't want to touch anything as everything was black with dirt. Felt dirtier after showering than beforehand. Not even enough room to swing a cat in there! We nicknamed our room the 'dark hole of stink' and couldn't get out of there quick enough! God knows what the 4 bed with no window would have had to offer! The only positive note to add is that it seems we escaped the bedbug epidemic unharmed!

Hi Emma, Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay with us and we are devastated it did not live up to your expectations. A bed bug epidemic does sound pretty dramatic and would be a great line in a movie but I can assure you we have not experienced this and would be just as horrified if we did! Kind regards

This hostel was ok. The fact that they have a travel shop made it impossible to get independent advice. They couldn't tell me much more than what they were trying to sell, even basic things like what to see in the city.

Hi Jordan, thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay with us and we are devastated it did not live up to your expectations. We are awaiting a long promised building renovation by the owners that will see an end to most of the issues you describe. Please take my word that a lot of care is taken in trying to keep the hostel as clean as possible but it is taking more and more work as the building gets older and older. Kind regards

Room was tiny. Place wasn't clean. Only thing good was the location. Couldn't wait to be out of the place! Horrible hostel. Won't ever return. So disappointing.

Hi Lorna, Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay with us and we are devastated it did not live up to your expectations. I can assure you the hostel is cleaned thoroughly every day with an evening shift going back through all kitchen and common areas! Kind regards

Arrived very late at night and my room was overbooked, the staff on duty was extremly friendly and quickly set me up in another room, cheers for that!

• 6th Feb 2014
  • Norway

It was not worth the time or money. There are so many hostels in central Auckland I wish I would have spent the extra dollar or two a night. There area it was located on did not represent Auckland well. The rooms were stuffy and smelly, and the facilities were not tidy or maintained. It seemed like everything was kept up just enough to "get by." Not much care is given into the place as a whole. There are numerous hostels in the CBD area to consider first.

You get what you pay for! I've stayed here multiple times because it's one of the cheapest options in auckland. Floors are 'apartment' style and in each apartment there are about 5-7 dorm rooms and a kitchen, showers and toilets- some people may like this layout- others may not.

The hostel is located next door to a bordell, music all night long! no refunds, noisy and there aren't enough facilities! NOT CLEAN! Helpful and friendly staff

• 31st Jan 2014

Thought everything was great, except that there is a bar downstairs, so it's quite loud during the weekends.

There were no lockers in the room that I stayed in, just had to leave my bags on the floor and hope for the best. There is a bar on the first floor that cranks incredibly loud music all night. All of the rooms are situated directly above the bar, and the one I stayed in had a window that didn't fully close, making it nearly impossible to get a decent nights sleep. The free dinner meal is a nice touch. Staff was hit and miss; some were very nice and helpful, others were very reluctant to help.

Great service, staff and feeling whilst staying here

• 23rd Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

The first time I stayed at the camel I was on the second floor and that was excellent. However on my second stay I was on the forth floor which seems to have a small group of long term inmates who think they own the place. They have their belongings spread everywhere so access to other bunks is not easy, they hog the power points for their computers to watch movies, and leave the doors open so that their friends can sleep in their beds while they are out, couples share bunks overnight. Not good

I loved that my dorm had its own kitchen and bathroom and lounge area, the lady at reception was lovely too! Would love to come back and partake in the pub crawls next time

need more hooks in the bath room. pls provide more affordable wifi or free wifi. excellent and comfortable stay though. very friendly staff. nice bar as well.

very quick stay for few hours of sleep... a bit noisy and very hot in the room because there was no windows... but still good location and good price

Hi Marie, Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay and we are stoked you enjoyed it! Happy Travels Nemo:)

Pretty standard large hostel, but it's better than Base. $3/hr for wifi is a joke. I stayed in the most expensive dorm (4 bed with window) and it was still very small. Keycards usually take about 10 swipes to work. Don't let you drink your own alcohol because they want to charge you ridiculous prices in their pub next door.

Hi Dean, Thank you for taking time to review your stay at the Fat Camel. I hope the reception team informed you of the 30 mins free daily WIFI at our travel shop just 30 metres down the road and not to put the keycards next to phs and cards as this sometimes makes them play up. We don't allow drinking in the apartments is that only the bar is licenced in the building and drinking disturbs other guests, creates more mess and damage. $6 for a beer and a free snack meal each night expensive?