Nomads Fat Camel Hostel Reviews

38 Fort Street, Downtown, Auckland, New Zealand

Location of hostel was great, 5min from airport shuttle and train station. Staff were friendly and helpful but that's about where the positives end. The hostel had an old and run down feeling and was very hot and stuff. Toilets and bathrooms were covered in dust. The bar underneath was noisy until really late. There were locked under the beds, but no way to add a lock. Not enough power points in the room. Price was cheap, which is a plus, but would pay more for better facilities.

Awesome for your money! I love the apartment-style all-female dorm I was in. It allows you to meet way more people in a common area while still having privacy in your sleeping quarters. Best place considering it's $17/night. Free food at night is also not delicious but a money saver :) If you want to save money and meet people, this hostel is perfect. Staff were all super nice.

The worst hostel I have ever been

Dorm apartment room 301 was very hot with no ventilation and only 1 dorm had a window which meant you had to keep the door open to try and cool down, this was obviously poor for the sucurity of belongings. Poor bunk beds and matresses, other guests from floor below always using kitchen due to their cooker not working, also fridge was leaking after permanent residents had mentioned it a few weeks before hand. Not worth $28 a night....would not return.. Very poor

I was in an 8 bed shared dorm. The room was too small for 8 beds I could hardly fit my suitcase in there and tripped on suitcases when coming in when it was dark because no one had anywhere to put them. I didn't feel the staff on reception when I arrived was overly friendly or helpful. The toilets and bathroom was dirty most of the time. Wifi was way too expensive.

Good hostel and staff were very friendly! While calling me a taxi and giving some useful information about the city for my short stay! Would highly recommend as its on a quiet street also so no noise if u have a quiet room.

• 7th Jan 2015

please make sure they change the sheets after each stay as my sons bed had been slept in an dirty marks on sheet then each guest should be given a key to get in and out as please when I went out and who was left went out and had 2 take the key and then had to wait to get back in .

• 6th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Everything in the hostel looks very outdated en was extremely dirty. They "cleaned" it every day though. The room i stayed in was so small that we couldn't move around properly. Other then that the staff was great, allways helpfull and happy.

Great value for money. I would stay here again anytime

I loved this hostel. The common room is awesome and I love that reception is 24 hours. The separate apartments are really cool and a good idea.

Bed Bugs; absolutely awful showers; 1 bathroom for 16 people; luggage room unsecure

Hi Benny, Thanks for placing feedback on your stay and we are devastated it did not live up to your expectations. We have had no bed bug issues at all in the room you were staying in and nothing was reported at the time or since? Our housekeeping manager has had a look through this room today and found no trace? Perhaps it was mosquitos or another type of bug? There are also bathrooms on every stairwell and I hope the staff made you aware of this.Our luggage room is locked and on the 1st floor

No air conditioning. Room too warm to comfortably be in. No fans in bathrooms either, so very uncomfortable after a shower. Two lockers with broken space for a lock. Basic, workable, friendly staff, worth it given the price.

I liked the apartment style layout of this hostel where there are 3-4 rooms with 2 bunks sharing a living room, kitchen with big fridge, 2 showers and 2 toilets. I think there were 2 apartments per floor. The guy at the front desk was really lively and welcoming. Didn't visit the bar but it looked decent with cheap drinks deals and a free food taster every night. Bathroom could have been slight cleaner. Great location! I stayed in 3 hostels while in Auckland and this way by far the best!

I would only recommend this hostel for a short overnight stay in order to catch your bus, or for having a great night out in the city centre. The hostel has its own bar and is surrounded by bars which makes it very noisy until 3am.

This is the best value for money hostel in downtown Auckland and it gets booked out pretty fast. The hostel is unique that it is actually an apartment and inside the apartment separate rooms house separate dorm. There is two common area, one is at the living room outside the room where there is also a kitchen that is only shared within that apartment so not too crowded where like other hostel all people share one kitchen. The hostel also gives out free foods at 7pm everyday at the bar.

They really should warn that you're going into a windowless (and completely ventilationless) room. Who knows what you're breathing while you sleep! Gross. Luckily I only arrived at 11pm and had to leave again at 6am.

Hi Hannah, Our budget rooms do not face on to the street and have windows and that is why we sell them cheaper than our other rooms. Some guests really like them as they are quieter and cosy in the winter. We are awaiting a long promised renovation of the entire hostel by the building owners which will see the end of any windowless budget rooms! Kind regards

Staff were nice

One of the cheapest hostels of Auckland (when I searched on internet), good location, good facilities to cook, watch tv or have a drink. But the room was quite small for 8 people, no place for the bags, and internet is not free and it's expensive.

Great location, and nice atmosphere. Clean enough. Helpful and nice staff. Average facilities: small kitchen, and noisy iron beds.

I forgot to tell you, when I was staying there, but I think there might have been bed bugs in my room.

Hi Emelie, Our housekeeping manager has had a thorough look through the room you were in and found no trace and we also have no record of anyone else being bitten in this room. Thank you for letting us know as we take these matters extremely seriously and we hope it may have just been mosquito's which do start to arrive in Auckland around October ! Kind regards