Nomads Fat Camel Hostel Reviews

38 Fort Street, Downtown, Auckland, New Zealand

It's a decent hostel for someone who is just looking for a place to sleep. Rooms are very basic but generally clean, shower facilities and the kitchen are passable, but could do with an upgrade. I really liked the complimentary food, which was always yummy (and came for free). Location of the hostel is great and staff is friendly.

• 22nd Feb 2015
  • Poland

With the bar down stairs it's good fun going out but impeding to sleep when you are not

You had to scan in several times to get to your room, which made me feel secure, but the lockers in the room were broken.

• 9th Feb 2015

No window or fan, but staff was amazing!

• 9th Feb 2015
  • Sweden

very loud hostel with music playing all through the night. the key cards do not really work they way they should and have to be exchanged pretty much several times a day. staff seems 'too cool' to be nice and generally is the hostel far too big to be a nice place up stay.

This hostel didn't heighten my experience of Auckland at all. I have stayed in a lot of 'budget' hostels, but this one wasn't the best by far. The room had no window and the pillows were not particularly clean. The location was ok and there was a locker for my things (although 2/4 lockers in the room were broken). I was after cheap and cheerful for a couple of nights, but this was just drab and run down. The showers were particularly awful. It was manageable for a few nights but not pleasant.

The hostel needs a revamp and needs to be redecorated. The showers were not very tidy . The rooms were,nice though the female community area was stuffy and very old skool furniture. However, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Good location, close to airport bus and many other buses. The girls four bed dorm with no windows is cheap and fine for one night, but real hot with a teeny fan on the floor. The apartment style dorms are nice though, with good kitchen and living room space. Having a cheap bar attached is nice with a free snack everyday at 7pm. $3/hr for wifi sucks though.

Gud backpacker. staff was really friendly and other country people was easygoing&friendly as well. But facilities was not gud and smells bad from toilet.

Really friendly and helpful staff and very sociable and fun atmosphere with a lot going on situated very central in Auckland which was great. The pub crawl was fun! However, the rooms were really hot and stuffy and the kitchen and bathrooms were pretty disgusting.

Cheap. Loud because there is a bar below. My room was nice and cool with the window open, but without ear plugs it would have been hard to sleep. Staff helped me get back my iPad when I left it there - major points! Cool apartment style rooms so you aren't sharing a kitchen with the whole hostel.

Location of hostel was great, 5min from airport shuttle and train station. Staff were friendly and helpful but that's about where the positives end. The hostel had an old and run down feeling and was very hot and stuff. Toilets and bathrooms were covered in dust. The bar underneath was noisy until really late. There were locked under the beds, but no way to add a lock. Not enough power points in the room. Price was cheap, which is a plus, but would pay more for better facilities.

I stayed here on January 11, for the last night of my 8 day stay in Auckland. I was in a 8-bed mixed room on the 2nd floor. On the back of the bedroom door was a flyer that said "Recently Flea Bombed." I woke up the next day itchy, and proceeded to find over 22 BED BUG BITES all over my body (face to toe). Had to wash everything. The adjacent bar is really loud, facilities were slightly below average, not very clean, and the rooms had a musty smell to them. The mattress was lumpy and old.

Awesome for your money! I love the apartment-style all-female dorm I was in. It allows you to meet way more people in a common area while still having privacy in your sleeping quarters. Best place considering it's $17/night. Free food at night is also not delicious but a money saver :) If you want to save money and meet people, this hostel is perfect. Staff were all super nice.

The worst hostel I have ever been

Dorm apartment room 301 was very hot with no ventilation and only 1 dorm had a window which meant you had to keep the door open to try and cool down, this was obviously poor for the sucurity of belongings. Poor bunk beds and matresses, other guests from floor below always using kitchen due to their cooker not working, also fridge was leaking after permanent residents had mentioned it a few weeks before hand. Not worth $28 a night....would not return.. Very poor

I was in an 8 bed shared dorm. The room was too small for 8 beds I could hardly fit my suitcase in there and tripped on suitcases when coming in when it was dark because no one had anywhere to put them. I didn't feel the staff on reception when I arrived was overly friendly or helpful. The toilets and bathroom was dirty most of the time. Wifi was way too expensive.

Good hostel and staff were very friendly! While calling me a taxi and giving some useful information about the city for my short stay! Would highly recommend as its on a quiet street also so no noise if u have a quiet room.

• 7th Jan 2015

Room with no window or fan/AC. Very damp room. When asked to fix the 'fan' nothing could be done. Staff didn't even checked the problem when pointed out. Also in the shared living room no windows could be opened. Rooms are very noisy, we could hear other people talk clearly and slam doors. Comfort of bed was average. Not great value for your money. Ask specifically for a room with a window that can be opened or try another hostel. Definitely wouldn't stay here again.

please make sure they change the sheets after each stay as my sons bed had been slept in an dirty marks on sheet then each guest should be given a key to get in and out as please when I went out and who was left went out and had 2 take the key and then had to wait to get back in .

• 6th Jan 2015