Nomads Fat Camel Hostel Reviews

38 Fort Street, Downtown, Auckland, New Zealand

Does the job. Don't expect anything too fancy as it's the worse hostel we stayed in in the whole of New Zealand

I think the best thing about this hostel is that you have a free snack in the evenings. Our bedroom window was broken and the room was really cold as a result. The bedroom was clean, if it wasn't that comfortable. There were no lockers in the room. The kitchen was cramped with too many people sharing it. The two toilets and two showers shared by one "apartment" were often dirty by the end of the day. There was a good atmosphere in the bar, and the cleaning staff were friendly.

Would not rexcomend - gross bathrooms, my key card kept breaking and locking me out of my room (once at 5am having gone to the bathroom) and the 'free meal for everyone' is not for everyone - out the 7 days of the week, there are a grand total of 0 vegetarian options available.

No atmosphere, four rooms each containing at least 6-8 girls and one very small fridge. My first night it looked like the bathroom had not been cleaned and there was mold up the wall and on the ceiling because the fan was broken. It's fairly centrally located, real close to britomart and the harbor. Would reccomended only for a bed to sleep in.

Upon getting to our rooms in the hostel, we were dissatisfied on many things. One, it hadn't been cleaned properly. The bathrooms had not been cleaned for at least two days. The beds were extremely uncomfortable. The pillows were so thin they were basically non-exsistent.

The staff is great. The matress are very bad they are no a real beds those beds are for a babies! The hostel need to be upgraded in all the furniture and facilities!!

Location was the only good thing about this hostel. The smell in the room was awful, the beds were awful, the showers were dirty and awful and so was the kitchen.

Hey Georgia, I'm so sorry to hear that your stay was less than enjoyable. I can have taken up these matters with our housekeeping team and I can assure you that this will be taken care of. We really do appreciate feedback like yours as this is the only way we know if guests are unhappy and this gives us a chance to rectify the situation. Thanks again and hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. Nomads Fat Camel Crew

Really good location, free meals on evenings, the apt there a good furniture, I could cooking my food! The only thing is not free wifi, but definitely I'd stay again!

Hey Mandy, Yeah unfortunately we don't have free wifi here but we have just decreased our rates to only $4 for a day and $12 for a week which I hope will help a little. Glad to hear you were happy with everything else though. Enjoy your trip buddy and hope to see you again soon. Cheers Fat Camel Crew

I have stayed in this hostel for a night, it has a good location and staffs are very friendly. you can easily get around in this area. And the bed is so soft and warm especially in winter. Definitely I will stay there again if I am in Auckland

Hey Ramona, Nice to hear you had a warm and cosy night at The Fat Camel. Our staff love working here and I think that really shows, so glad you noticed it too. Thanks again for the great review and please be sure to come and say hi if you're ever back in Auckland. Thanks The Fat Camel Crew

Need a lot of improvements and better cleanliness. The place need to be renovated very bad

Hey Gilberto, You are 100% correct buddy. The poor Fat Camel hasn't had a face lift in some time now, but we have started with this process and already painted and cleaned up 6 out of the 10 apartments that we have, so hopefully the next time you're in Auckland you'll give us another go and see what improvements have been made. Have a great trip. The Fat Camel Crew

Free food is great, even with no free wifi it is the best located and has the best value of the hostels in auckland

Hey Riley, Really glad you enjoyed our free evening meal....and we're working on upgrading our wifi :o) Thanks for the review and have a safe trip. Nomads Fatty Crew

The fridge in our apartment was never cleaned, even when I requested it to be cleaned after milk was spilled all over one shelf. If you was in the room when the cleaner come round they wouldn't clean it. For 6 dorm rooms there was one mug. Only one of the rings on the stove worked. The meal upgrades were the best thing about the hostel. The reception staff were very nice though.

Hey Carrie, I'm sorry to here your fridge wasn't cleaned properly during your stay. I have spoken with the housekeeping team and we have put in place a deep cleaning schedule to make sure this doesn't happen again. We have also bought more cups and had the cooker fixed. I'm glad you enjoyed our free meal :o) Thank you for taking the time to send your review and we wish you all the best on your travels. Nomads Fatty Crew

The hostel is divided in apartments. In my apartment were 4 dorms and a common area (kitchen, bathroom, living room, no window). The dorm itself was very basic without window. In my opinion, the main problem was that I could hear from the dorm everything that people said in the living room or in the other dorms, even if they were discreet. The cleanliness was correct. The location is excellent, right in the center, close to restaurants and transports, and free food is served every day at 7pm.

Hey Laetitia, We love the uniqueness of the apartments here at The Fat Camel but sometimes it can get a little too cosy. The apartments are meant to make you feel at home and we guess people can take that too literal. We just hope they don't over share too much :o) Great to hear everything else was all good though. Hope you get the chance to come back and visit. Enjoy the rest of your travels. The Fatty Crew!

I liked the apartment style of the hostel. Really good value for Money; little dinner included. Thumbs up!

Hey Caren, Really great to hear you enjoyed staying at our little hostel here in Auckland :o) and hope you come back and visit us again soon. Thanks Safe travels. The Fatty Crew!

Great hostel but not very well maintained. Window broken in the room (for 10 months we heard) and it was very cold. Showers also not very well kept!

Hey Emerson, The Fat Camel is indeed a very old building and therefore definitely has some maintenance issues which are consistently trying to improve on....the showers and windows in particular, but it can be a very hard and long process. We do appreciate your feedback. Thanks The Fatty Crew!

Only one socket with 2 entry points in a room for 4 which makes it very inconvenient cause once someone plugs in a converter (which is usually big) it'll block the other point. So practically only one person can be charging something at one point of time.

Hey Denise, It is very unfortunate that some of our rooms don't have enough sockets for everyone in the room to use at one time but it is currently on our wishlist of things to have changed and your feedback helps us show try and do this. Thanks The Fatty Crew!

Great location and staff on front desk but the bathrooms were not clean at all.

• 28th Jun 2015

All good things about the hostel, just had an extremely rude roommate who decided that snoozing his alarm 12 times was okay. Hostel has a great locations and the free dinner was great, no free wifi though

I personally didn't like this hostel at all and wouldn't stay here again. Room is like a shoebox, we couldn't eat because the kitchen barely had anything to eat with. It wasn't very clean. There are much better places for the same price, look around and do your research. If you are looking somewhere nice to stay, look around the Mt Eden area, much nicer.

Definitely could be cleaner! No lockers. Lots of people living here long term rather than just backpackers. Really good location.