Nomads Melbourne Reviews

196-198 A'Beckett st., Melbourne, Australia

I stayed only one night.

• 17th Jul 2014

I have already commented; anyway, the experience in the nomads was too good and I felt like it was really good value for money. It was secure and just nearby the Melbourne CBD and hence was easy to catch means of transportation.

• 16th Jul 2014

I've never seen a kitchen so terrible in my whole hostel experience! Everything is disgusting and dirty! It is impossible to find a pan, plates or cups... there is nothing to use there!! And only 3 cookers work! Imagine a 5 level hostel with only 3 cookers working! A complete chaos! And the toilets... oh my god! Terrible!! I think that they don't have staff enough to keep everything clean... that's it!

The staff were lovely and really helpful but the kitchen is in appalling condition with only 4 of twelve hobs working and only one toaster with only 2 out of four slots working. Really not an ideal for such a large hostel with so many guests.

• 6th Jul 2014

as we only stayed one night, we didnt use all the facilities but overall its a great hostel. would stay again for sure :)

• 4th Jul 2014

This location was great it is right by the Victoria Markets, very cheap and delicious food!

Great location - very friendly staff

• 13th Jun 2014

Not as good as Queenstown NZ Nomad hostel I stayed at. Good location. Some friendly staff, Some not so friendly.

• 30th May 2014
  • New Zealand

very dirty kitchen, everything was broken or old as well... Staff: Yaaaaaaa, they are to cool and easy going to work reasonable! Very annoying... they checking Facebook and there are 5 people in line, waiting for check in...

Thank you very much for your review. I will investigate the facebook comments, we do have several social media tasks for staff to do each shift, however never at the determent of swift action should a guest come to the desk. As far as the kitchen goes we now replaced many kitchen utensils and bought new frying pans, sieves, pots, knives and replaced both microwaves. The kitchen is actually undergoing a paint job now it’s quiet and we hope to see better guest satisfaction. Thanks again

Previous comments on the hostel appeared a bit off putting but I'm glad I decided to stay here! It's a great hostel with helpful and welcoming staff, mostly backpackers themselves. Met lots of nice people here. There's a bar/lounge and rooftop to have a good time!! Always got a great vibe going! Rooms are basic but clean, beds are brand new, showers and toilettes on every floor. Their kitchen is indeed a bit small but got everything you need. Looking for a unique and atmospheric place…stay here!

• 27th Mar 2014

Thanks for your feedback and I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. We are taking time currently to do some renovations to our kitchen to brighten it up…hope you come back through and check us out again one day!

The room I stayed in was spacious, had a big window and plenty of lockers. The kitchen was very small, unfortunately, but did offer free coffee, tea, rice & pasta.

A really pleasant hostel, good atmosphere and everyone was really friendly. The only criticism I have is the kitchen situation. It was constantly messy, people left there dirty dishes and pots in the sink, there was never enough cutlery (clean or dirty). The free rice&pasta was a great idea though!

Thanks for reviewing our hostel. Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We did a review of our kitchen and are doing upgrades...funny enough we actually think we had too many items in there and thus people were not in need to do their dishes, we now have less and it seems a lot better, it’s a strange game! We have 3 cleaning shifts as well as reception checking, it seems to be a constant issue in any hostel I visit and perhaps we will next look at the hire of kitchen equipment.

Prety big hostel easy to meet people bit rough round the edges most of the staff are helpfull in a great location kitchen was tiny so just eat out

Hey thanks for your feedback! Eating out is easy…we get that a kitchen is a really important part of a hostel and do try to lighten the load by doing free pancakes Thursday mornings now. If you are ever back in town we’d love to have you stay again….safe travels.

To be honest with you, the best part of this hostel experience for us was checking out. We feel this because two of the staff were rude not helpful at all. The security was very poor as our LABELLED food bag was rummaged through and the items were stolen. When we told the staff, the rude woman with the attitude of a 14 year old said she wouldn't help as it 'wasn't a big deal'. The atmosphere was 'clicky'and key cards almost never worked. Nice bar area though and big showers.

• 9th Mar 2014

Thanks for your review. Sorry about the food situation, we do our best for guests to follow our rules be respectful. Unfortunately there is only so much we can do as we provide these facilities for everybody’s benefit. We like to have a positive atmosphere, where people get a good experience, bond and create friendships for life…it could appear clicky but nobody is excluded from anything. Key cards may stop working if kept close to mobile phones, easily fixed by our reception staff.

Huge hostel within walking distance (albeit a bit long) from the center. Cool staff, lockers, movie theater room, enough showers and toilets. Wifi internet is not free, you have to pay. Party hostel vibe. The free tourist tram goes near the hostel, that's a bonus. Recommended

Kitchen & luggage room are to small.

• 26th Feb 2014

Thanks for your feedback, we wanted you and everyone to know that we have rearranged the kitchen area, much more room to prepare and cook food now! We have doubled the fridge space by adding two extra double door fridges. We offer an alternative storage room in case the dedicated luggage room runs out of space, we lock our cinema room up until 2pm. To be honest this is a free service and we try to accommodate everyone…however on days with surfboards and extra large suitcases it does get crazy.

kitchen too small for the amount of people

• 24th Feb 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

My second stay at Nomads after a short stay a few years ago. I found it very easy to get to from the central station, only two block away. Checking in was fast. The bar had a beer pong comp one night that I was there, and happy hour specials. The kitchen is small and very busy with only one sink, and I never saw the free tea and coffee anywhere. The bunks were very squeaky, even just to get into bed, though clean and comfortable and the room was a good temperature.

An ok hostel, definitely more for the younger traveller. Kitchen was tiny, dirty and fridges were so full nothing was kept cool. People stealing food from the fridge. Room was pretty standard.

We have recently rearranged our kitchen, we now have double the amount of fridges which is what we have been needing for some time. We have a deep cleaning task of cleaning fridges daily, now with the extra room this in much more manageable. Sorry to hear about missing food. We rely on everybody’s honesty as we can only provide the facilities for everybody to use. We generally have a very positive atmosphere with guests following the rules we set out. We do our best to keep it that way.