Nomads Melbourne Reviews

196-198 A'Beckett st., Melbourne, Australia

Previous comments on the hostel appeared a bit off putting but I'm glad I decided to stay here! It's a great hostel with helpful and welcoming staff, mostly backpackers themselves. Met lots of nice people here. There's a bar/lounge and rooftop to have a good time!! Always got a great vibe going! Rooms are basic but clean, beds are brand new, showers and toilettes on every floor. Their kitchen is indeed a bit small but got everything you need. Looking for a unique and atmospheric place…stay here!

• 27th Mar 2014

The room I stayed in was spacious, had a big window and plenty of lockers. The kitchen was very small, unfortunately, but did offer free coffee, tea, rice & pasta.

A really pleasant hostel, good atmosphere and everyone was really friendly. The only criticism I have is the kitchen situation. It was constantly messy, people left there dirty dishes and pots in the sink, there was never enough cutlery (clean or dirty). The free rice&pasta was a great idea though!

Prety big hostel easy to meet people bit rough round the edges most of the staff are helpfull in a great location kitchen was tiny so just eat out

To be honest with you, the best part of this hostel experience for us was checking out. We feel this because two of the staff were rude not helpful at all. The security was very poor as our LABELLED food bag was rummaged through and the items were stolen. When we told the staff, the rude woman with the attitude of a 14 year old said she wouldn't help as it 'wasn't a big deal'. The atmosphere was 'clicky'and key cards almost never worked. Nice bar area though and big showers.

• 9th Mar 2014

Thanks for your review. Sorry about the food situation, we do our best for guests to follow our rules be respectful. Unfortunately there is only so much we can do as we provide these facilities for everybody’s benefit. We like to have a positive atmosphere, where people get a good experience, bond and create friendships for life…it could appear clicky but nobody is excluded from anything. Key cards may stop working if kept close to mobile phones, easily fixed by our reception staff.

Huge hostel within walking distance (albeit a bit long) from the center. Cool staff, lockers, movie theater room, enough showers and toilets. Wifi internet is not free, you have to pay. Party hostel vibe. The free tourist tram goes near the hostel, that's a bonus. Recommended

Kitchen & luggage room are to small.

• 26th Feb 2014

Thanks for your feedback, we wanted you and everyone to know that we have rearranged the kitchen area, much more room to prepare and cook food now! We have doubled the fridge space by adding two extra double door fridges. We offer an alternative storage room in case the dedicated luggage room runs out of space, we lock our cinema room up until 2pm. To be honest this is a free service and we try to accommodate everyone…however on days with surfboards and extra large suitcases it does get crazy.

kitchen too small for the amount of people

• 24th Feb 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

My second stay at Nomads after a short stay a few years ago. I found it very easy to get to from the central station, only two block away. Checking in was fast. The bar had a beer pong comp one night that I was there, and happy hour specials. The kitchen is small and very busy with only one sink, and I never saw the free tea and coffee anywhere. The bunks were very squeaky, even just to get into bed, though clean and comfortable and the room was a good temperature.

An ok hostel, definitely more for the younger traveller. Kitchen was tiny, dirty and fridges were so full nothing was kept cool. People stealing food from the fridge. Room was pretty standard.

We have recently rearranged our kitchen, we now have double the amount of fridges which is what we have been needing for some time. We have a deep cleaning task of cleaning fridges daily, now with the extra room this in much more manageable. Sorry to hear about missing food. We rely on everybody’s honesty as we can only provide the facilities for everybody to use. We generally have a very positive atmosphere with guests following the rules we set out. We do our best to keep it that way.

I had such a good time in nomads in melbourne. the bar staff was wonderful, expasially the english guy did a very good service. thumbs up. the kitchen is to small!!!

• 19th Jan 2014

Glad you had a good time, you are more than welcome back any time! We have now rearranged the kitchen …double the fridge space, more prep area and we are getting positive feedback….we will continue to look at ways to make it better.

Hostel was clean, staff were friendly, good vibes, good atmosphere. My only gripe was that they don't seem to clean the toilets very often, and there is no air-conditioning/it was really really hot in the building, even though it wasn't hot outside.

Upon getting there at 9 we were informed that due to system problems they weren't able to check us in. They said it wouldn't be long but this took over 3 hrs. At 12:30 we were able to finally check in. I was then informed by the receptionist that there was an issue with the booking allocation and we downgraded into an 8 person room vs the 6 person room I booked. No apologies or discount was provided. Overall a horrible experience. Never going here again

• 25th Dec 2013

As most businesses we rely on computers…and when there are issues we work extremely hard to rectify them and avoid any determent to our business…I’m sorry you felt your stay was marred by the wait and the change of room type. Check-in time is scheduled for 2pm, as check-outs are to 10am. When systems go down so do multiple of booking portals…offering you an 8 bed dorm room (which is the same price) it seems was the only option to reception and I really do apologize for the inconvenience.

Definitely not worth the price! The only positive point about this hostel is its location close to CBD and the chill bar. Staff was really unfriendly and unexperienced, trying to charge me a higher price TWICE when I was checking in. The kitchen was horribly small, with an even smaller and dirty fridge (half of the fridge is even reserved for staff)! I met nice people there, but that has nothing to do with this terrible hostel.

Sorry for misunderstanding during check-in. We are not trying to charge higher prices…we often run specials online that are not available at the property; maybe this caused confusion? Happy to say we upgraded the kitchen! There’s more space to cook now. We also doubled the fridge space; we used the room off the kitchen and now have 4 double door fridges which we acknowledge was long over due. Glad you met nice people here, hope you give us another chance should you swing by Melbourne again.

The hostel was in a really good location, it was clean with the rooms and bathrooms cleaned daily, the staff were really helpful though quite cliquey and the bar had a great atmosphere with different events on every night, a very party style hostel. But seriously, fix the squeaky beds! It's ridiculous.

Glad you enjoyed staying with us. Happy to say we have NEW BUNKS, no more squeaking!! The bunk situation was one of despair for us too… so management and guests are delighted! We have also upgraded our kitchen and now have 4 double door fridges, further painting and upgrades around the property will continue through the winter. Yes the hostel has a killer location, we want to also have great staff and a real Melbourne vibe…I’ll be sure to work on all the above.

Though most of the staff were friendly, there seemed to be a problem with double-bookings and bad organization. I had to sleep in a different room than my friends because the dorm we had booked was full and then was woken up very rudely at 3 in the morning by staff, because someone wanted to check into the bed that they had earlier put me in, but apparaently they'd failed to record that in their computer system. Also the kitchen is ridiculously small for a hostel of this sizes

• 27th Nov 2013
  • Austria

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us to stay on the ball and work to ensure this does not happen to others. I've checked into the situation and there was indeed a double booking...2 bookings came through the online portals within a minute, our system like most can not cope with this.. Sorry that you were separated from your friends, and I'm sorry that you were woken due to a staff error, this is not a common occurrence and I have found this to be staff error, we have already re-trained.

Hostel is too expensive for what you get. Kitchen is way too small and horible to cook in. When I had to go to reception Key didn't work anymore or something it took ages really slow

Bathrooms have Been really dirty, the Community Kitchen wasnt better and the bed was so noisy that you will wake up If someone is just turning around...

Thanks for taking the time to comment, it helps us greatly. We have a cleaning schedule where bathrooms are cleaned 3 times a day; we have started to do an extra check in the mid afternoon to help. The kitchen is a similar issue...unfortunately it's the same in every hostel I've ever seen, if people would actually do dishes it would help us greatly, as this is not the case we will continue to do our best with 3 cleans a day. We have new beds planned for 2014!!

Very nice place, but kitchen is small. Great people!

• 17th Nov 2013
  • Finland

Hey Maija, Thanks for your feedback. I hope the remainder of your travels have gone well! Merry Christmas from Nomads Melbourne. Nomads Team.

pretty average hostel, safe, clean, and a good place to book tours, overall lacks a bit of atmosphere, not much in the way to bring travellers together at the bar, or common area such as events. overall just ok