Nomads Melbourne Reviews

196-198 A'Beckett st., Melbourne, Australia

Not enough secure storage in the room - only 3 small boxes (for a 6 bed dorm) which couldn't fit much more than a phone & wallet. Lack of powerpoints / too far away from my bunk. The others staying in my room were extremely untidy & unclean so didn't bother using the 'ensuite' so had to rely on the other toilets/ showers which weren't much cleaner. It was rather loud for a hostel that isn't near a main street in the CBD. Only positive was the lady behind reception who was lovely and helpful.

If I knew this hostel had no free wifi, I would have never stayed. Having "internet service" doesn't mean free wifi (and all nomad hostels are the same). The MAD travel desk wasn't as helpful as I thought they would be. The elevator was in and out of service. There are 5 floors. There are about three or four showers on the floor but one was always out of service. One bathroom has only "cold" water for hands and brushing teeth. The rooms have heat but no outlets or lamps near beds.

Very dirty hostel. The room was very dirty and the bathroom too. I Ask to schedule for the bus to the Avalon airport and scheduled to the wrong airport (we need pay 140 dollars to going for the correct airport) , almost missed the flight. Do not recommend. For the price we paid, it's worth looking for a hotel or other location, especially given the clean (dirty sheets, musty smell, hair everywhere, filthy bathrooms).

Overall safe, clean and welcoming place to stay at a good price. Overnight stay was hassle free, convenient and affordable. I will stay there again! :)

Fabulous stay, were only here for 3 days, but it was great

The rooms were snug, cosy and clean, which was enjoyable. Free pastas, rice and breakfast are very nice ideas, thanks ! The place is very well located, in the bustling center of Melbourne, near Queen Victoria Market.

The staff who worked at reception where really nice. However the cleaning people are some of the rudest people iv ever met

Staff are really nice and are very helpful. Dorms are a decent size and provide lockers for your valuables. Bedding smelt of the previous person that slept in the bed;we were informed the quilts were not washed, only the pillow case and sheets are washed.

• 22nd Jul 2014

I stayed only one night.

• 17th Jul 2014

I have already commented; anyway, the experience in the nomads was too good and I felt like it was really good value for money. It was secure and just nearby the Melbourne CBD and hence was easy to catch means of transportation.

• 16th Jul 2014

I've never seen a kitchen so terrible in my whole hostel experience! Everything is disgusting and dirty! It is impossible to find a pan, plates or cups... there is nothing to use there!! And only 3 cookers work! Imagine a 5 level hostel with only 3 cookers working! A complete chaos! And the toilets... oh my god! Terrible!! I think that they don't have staff enough to keep everything clean... that's it!

The staff were lovely and really helpful but the kitchen is in appalling condition with only 4 of twelve hobs working and only one toaster with only 2 out of four slots working. Really not an ideal for such a large hostel with so many guests.

• 6th Jul 2014

as we only stayed one night, we didnt use all the facilities but overall its a great hostel. would stay again for sure :)

• 4th Jul 2014

This location was great it is right by the Victoria Markets, very cheap and delicious food!

Great location - very friendly staff

• 13th Jun 2014

Not as good as Queenstown NZ Nomad hostel I stayed at. Good location. Some friendly staff, Some not so friendly.

• 30th May 2014
  • New Zealand

very dirty kitchen, everything was broken or old as well... Staff: Yaaaaaaa, they are to cool and easy going to work reasonable! Very annoying... they checking Facebook and there are 5 people in line, waiting for check in...

Thank you very much for your review. I will investigate the facebook comments, we do have several social media tasks for staff to do each shift, however never at the determent of swift action should a guest come to the desk. As far as the kitchen goes we now replaced many kitchen utensils and bought new frying pans, sieves, pots, knives and replaced both microwaves. The kitchen is actually undergoing a paint job now it’s quiet and we hope to see better guest satisfaction. Thanks again

Previous comments on the hostel appeared a bit off putting but I'm glad I decided to stay here! It's a great hostel with helpful and welcoming staff, mostly backpackers themselves. Met lots of nice people here. There's a bar/lounge and rooftop to have a good time!! Always got a great vibe going! Rooms are basic but clean, beds are brand new, showers and toilettes on every floor. Their kitchen is indeed a bit small but got everything you need. Looking for a unique and atmospheric place…stay here!

• 27th Mar 2014

Thanks for your feedback and I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. We are taking time currently to do some renovations to our kitchen to brighten it up…hope you come back through and check us out again one day!

The room I stayed in was spacious, had a big window and plenty of lockers. The kitchen was very small, unfortunately, but did offer free coffee, tea, rice & pasta.

A really pleasant hostel, good atmosphere and everyone was really friendly. The only criticism I have is the kitchen situation. It was constantly messy, people left there dirty dishes and pots in the sink, there was never enough cutlery (clean or dirty). The free rice&pasta was a great idea though!

Thanks for reviewing our hostel. Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We did a review of our kitchen and are doing upgrades...funny enough we actually think we had too many items in there and thus people were not in need to do their dishes, we now have less and it seems a lot better, it’s a strange game! We have 3 cleaning shifts as well as reception checking, it seems to be a constant issue in any hostel I visit and perhaps we will next look at the hire of kitchen equipment.