Nomads Westend Reviews

412 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

I had read alot of bad reviews about nomads westend and don't understand why. I stayed in the 32 bed dorm for two nights and had a great time. Everyone was really friendly and the staff are always willing to help out. Obviously with 32 people sharing a bathroom it did get quite dirty. But that's what you'd expect! Apart from that I can't fault it, its half the price of other hostels I've stayed in Sydney and the same quality ! I would consider staying again for my next time in Sydney :)

• 17th Jul 2015

Bathrooms are in definite need of an upgrade/renovation. There was no window/fan in bathroom so it was wet and mouldy. The elevator was possessed to it was push buttons and hope it stops at your floor. The cooking area was a hells kitchen nightmare self cleanliness and respect for tidiness was not something that was encouraged. staff were a little frazzled/stressed but otherwise helpful.

• 10th Jul 2015

Wouldn't recommend this hostel for anyone, even if it is cheap so many better places to go , bed made to much voice everytime you moved, fire detected had a dory sock on it so the room previously had smokers in it, bathroom floor was soaked, the place smelt bad in room and out, the lift was so slow, I actually checked out straight away it was so bad and didn't even get a refund staff where poor, worst hostel I've stayed in since I've been in Australia

• 4th Jul 2015

One lift broken, the other didn't have a ground floor button making it almost impossible to get down with luggage. Had to pay to leave luggage for a few hours and it was down narrow stairs to the smelly basement which was very impractical with a suitcase. Roommates were very disrespectful, watching videos and having conversations at 4am then laughing when asked to be more quiet. Ensuite bathroom was old and filthy and toilet had water running through for two days straight.

• 17th Jun 2015

I read a lot of reviews about the hostel being unclean. However, I stayed for one night, and saw no uncleanliness whatsoever. The lift is very slow, but apart from that, it's fine, and I will stay again next time I'm in Sydney

Dirty, fungus, bad smell. I had to wash my clothes cause they all smelled like fungus after I stayed 3 nights at nomads. Blankets and pillows very old and dirty.

• 4th Jun 2015

Staff are friendly and helpful. There is a good vibe for young backpackers, who are in Sydney for a good time I.e getting drunk on goon. Good social life though, plenty to do each day. However the kitchen is filthy and lacks utensils, pans plates, mugs and glasses. The hobs don't work. Plus there is cockroaches everywhere in the whole hostel. The rooms and dorms are very basic, dirty and smell musky. The cleaners don't know how to clean. I have seen worse, didn't know this was possible!

• 22nd May 2015

Worst Hostel I have ever stayed in. They have a really weird smell everywhere that is clearly covering up some other smell. The rooms are tiny and they only have ensuites. The ensuites usually have broken doors one didn't even have a lock. The duvet was covered in stains and the colour of the place is depressing. The kitchen has cockroaches and just always looked dirty. The lift was the most annoying thing ever as it stopped on every floor and one of them didn't even go to the ground floor.

Such a great atmosphere! Loved staying here. Always fun thugs to do and cool people to hang out with.

• 7th Apr 2015

Thanks for leaving a review! We hope you enjoy the rest of your time here in Australia.

Standard Nomads. Always reliable. Good location and would stay again.

Room was a box, windows so dirty you couldn't see out. Bathroom was disgusting, mould all around the shower. One elevator wasn't working so it took ages to get around the building. One positive, staff were freindly and helpful.

• 15th Mar 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Thank you for leaving a comment on your stay. I apologise for the cleanliness issues you have reported, this is certainly not in accordance to the set standards that we have. I will be discussing your comments with the Housekeeping Manager to ensure all of the areas of concern are addressed. Thank you also for the kind comments about our staff, they do work very hard to ensure our guests enjoy their stay. Kind regards, Sam B

I've been in many hostels in my life and this's been the worst ever! Booked a double bed private room ensuite. The bed was broken,half of the mattress was lying on the floor. The room was very smelly and had only one tiny window fully occupied by a dirty aircon machine.AWFUL. AWFUL. AWFUL. we're given a toilet key to use "our ensuite" which was on the other side of the corredor. We didn't stayed. We asked them to change us to other room and they offered a refund.We went somewhere else. AWFUL

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Nomads Westend. I apologise that you were not satisfied and I am also sorry that the bed was not in working order on arrival to your room. Unfortunately due to the hostel being full on the evening you stayed we did not have any other rooms available to move you to. I hope you were able to find somewhere suitable to stay. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you would like to discuss your experience further.

It is ok!!! It could be cleaner, but the location is very good! Staff members are nice and they provide useful info about how to move around the city

Do you fancy paying over the odds for a dirty room? Stay here! The atmosphere and staff at Nomads and Westend are what you expect from a backpacker hostel, and friendly enough. But the rooms are absolutely disgusting; cramped, dirty, with broken windows, doors etc. Go stay in the 'Wake Up!' instead, as it is a similar price and MUCH nicer, with spacious clean rooms and better facilities.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I apologise for the maintenance and cleanliness issues you have reported. I have discussed your comments with the Maintenance and Housekeeping managers to ensure that we do not receive feedback such as your in future. Regarding the cost of our accommodation, we are very competitively priced for a backpacker hostel in the centre of Sydney. If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact us.

A lot of the staff was newly hired, but very professional, young, and fun. The lockers for rent were extremely over priced and weren't working very well, but the staff were willing to manually un/lock mine for me. The bedding and bathrooms were DISGUSTING. I stayed in 4 different rooms (annoying). All sheets were stained, toilets and showers were so bad I just bathed in the sink at public restrooms.

• 26th Feb 2015

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased that you found our staff pleasant and fun. Although I apologise for the cleanliness issues you have reported. We do get all of our sheets delivered from a laundry company so I will certainly be discussing your feedback with them. I was very disappointed to read your comments about our bathrooms, I will be personally inspecting all bathrooms to ensure they are maintained to our standards. Thank you again for your comments. Kind regards, Sam B

If your young, skint, single, looking to get drunk or for a promiscuous time and don't mind living in squalor then this is the hostel for you, especially I assume the 34 bed dorm. However, if you want to have a clean room with reasonable facilities and not arrive back at night to a plethora or drunk/drugged up teenagers on a gap year slumped all over reception/doorstep to use the free wifi, then any central YHA is our recommendation. PS our 'en-suite' was across the hall! Checked out early!!!!

• 19th Feb 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on your recent stay. I apologise if the behaviour of other guests was an inconvenience or caused you any discomfort. We do encourage our guests to enjoy themselves while staying with us, however we certainly do not condone excessive drinking or drugs. If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hostel.

I had to cancel my reservation, because my flights were canceled, I called that morning and canceled. I understand 24hr cancelation policy. Ended up finding another flight , made it to Sydney, went to hostel hoping to maybe get the beds I had gotten a email that they were still going to charge me, I reserved all 4 beds in one room. When I got there of course they only had 1 bed left in 6 person kroom. Of course I need 4. They were able to rent the room it would have been nice to get a refund.

• 18th Feb 2015

Thank you for leaving a comment. As you say we do have a 24 hour cancellation policy and you advised us on the day of your scheduled arrival (which is inside the cancellation period) that you were required to cancel your reservation. This was done as per your request, these terms and conditions are similar to every other hotel and hostel in Sydney. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you would like to discuss this further?

It was a great experience on the first floor ! It was my second day of my worldtour so i found that nice to be in the missle of the city! The only thing was about the cleaning. The chairs and table in the kitchen. The room was ok but it could be better for the security because there was no locker in the room ! It was a good experience but not the better for me

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I was pleased to read that you had a great experience in our common area on the first floor. I apologise for the comments you left about the cleanliness, we do have cleaning staff working 24 hours in our common areas, so I will definitely be letting them know of your comments to ensure there is not future re-occurrence of feedback such as yours. We do also provide lockers in our common area and in our basement for guests security.

The cleanliness of the hostel is something that needs looking into. The kitchen and bathrooms. Bathrooms also look like they need tlc. This hostel is good if all you want is to party and have a bed. But a couple of us decided against using the kitchen.

• 14th Feb 2015

Thank you for your candid review. I apologise that you feel that the cleanliness was not up to standard. I will discuss your comments with the Housekeeping Manager to ensure that all areas are addressed. Thank you again for your feedback please don't hesitate to contact us directly if you would like to discuss this further.

The lifts are extremely slow... Expect to wait about 10 minutes lol ... Kitchen is gross ... I saw a few cacroaches ... Had my food thrown out twice or stolen (It was labeled properly) lol oh and saw a bunch of cactoaches in the rooms as well ... Half of the staff are useless... Even when they come as housekeeping ... I don't really see what they clean lol

I am sorry to hear that your food was stolen, we do take theft very seriously so I would suggest telling reception if this was the case, we have CCTV that we can look back to see who may have taken your food. I was disappointed and surprised to read that you saw cockroaches, we do have regular routine treatments through the hostel to eliminate all insects. I am interested in getting more information from you about the "useless staff" as they do put a lot of effort into looking after our guests.