ONCE in Cape Town Reviews

69 Kloof street, Cape Town, South Africa

The hostel is kind of a mix between hotel and hostel. I was in a room that had a double bed and a private bathroom that was just me but I know you could also get a dorm style room (which is less expensive also). I was visiting someone so I spent not a lot of time at the hostel trying to socialize although there are a few hangout areas where it seems like it would be easy to meet people. The facilities were top notch: hot water, nice bed, fan in my room to keep me cool. Would definitely go back!

Best hostel in whole of capetown. Very friendly people, very cooperative. Awesome location and very reasonably priced. It truly was our home away from home. Miss it dearly. The hostel is really clean. Most of the beds have their own built in charging sockets so there is no fighting over who can use the socket and stuff. Free breakfast coupon is awesome and the cafe honors it even if the time stipulated has passed. Loved the diversity of back packers here.

The hostel is really well equipped and cleavily thought out. There isn't any real atmosphere between guests probably because it still has a very hotel feel about it. It would be a really good place to go to if you weren't travelling alone but if you are travelling alone then there are far better options. The hostel would be really good if the dorm rooms weren't so small. The four person dorm rooms are tiny and you can't really have two people packing their bags at the same time.

Thank you for your positive criticism. While you felt the rooms were small, we hope you enjoyed our extra large beds and ensuite Bathrooms? When planning our hostel we thought this would be key to a great nights sleep. We also have a daily free tour/ activity for individual travelers to get to know each other and make new travel friends, as well as the local cafe where you can meet Capetonians. We hope to see you back in the future, and hope you had a great time in South Africa.

One of my most favorite hostel ever. Unlike many hostels in South Africa, this one has locker for your stuff. Cleaned everyday. Big bed with good mattress. Has WIFI. I love the cafe/bar downstairs. It has kitchen facilities. It gives breakfast. It's near supermarket. Few minutes walk from the Long St. for parties yet not exactly in Long st where it is super noisy. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Thank you for your encouraging comments - we're so glad you have noticed the little details we are proud of every day. Safe and happy travels! Kim and the Once in Cape Town team

We stayed there 6 nights in a double-bed room. Very clean, nice atmosphere, helpful staff and a convenient location. We enjoyed our stay very much and will definitely recommend this hostel.

Thank you for your kind recommendation - we look forward to seeing you again soon! Warm Regards, Kim and the Once in Cape Town team

More of a hotel than hostel. No hostel feeling, and not great common areas for meeting people, although the kitchen was alright. Check in took FOREVER. Cleanliness was great. But overall. The hostel had a quite impersonal feeling to it.. And why was everyone staying here a model..? Strange.

Thank you for your candid review - we always appreciate honest feedback. Once in Cape Town used to be a Lodge, Hotel, and once even a student hostel in the 1950's, so this may explain the hotel feeling. It's a pity you weren't able to join one of our daily free walking tours, as this is a great way to meet new people, and apart from the kitchen We have an outside braai and relax area, and have recently updated our lounge area with TV etc. We have taken your comment about the check-in to heart, and will aim to improve this process. We thank you for your comments, and wish you a great rest of your trip around South Africa.

I have been traveling for the past two year and have been to many hostels all around the world. What I especially liked about Once in Capetown was its friendly staff and atmosphere. The staff came to you and were always helpful with any questions. The rooms are comfortable and clean. One thing I thing would recommend is that you check all the taps in the bathrooms. The cold tap in my room didn't work, just spun around. The warm tap worked fine but a bit of cold water would have been good.

• 16th Jan 2014

Dear Katie - Thank you so much for your kind words - we have also noted the not working tap in your room, and are fixing it as we speak! We wish you all the best for the rest of your travels in South Africa and adventures around the world! Warm Regards, Kim

Best parts: - Location near trendy boutiques and nightlife - Layout, cool patio - Recently renovated - Amenities - lockers, personal storage boxes behind each bed with chargers, doors unlocked with a code - Attached café - great coffee and free breakfast Bad parts: - Rooms extremely hot even with fan/window - difficult to sleep - Bad bathroom design. Shower curtain does not go all the way around tub, have to hold showerhead in one hand - awkward and floods the floor

Great hostel!!! Very clean. The staff was so helpful. Restaurant below but no trouble sleeping...quiet.

• 9th Dec 2013

ONCE in Cape Town is located in the heart of Kloof Street, the best place in Cape Town. Great rooms, brilliant facilities and amazing staff. Definitely the best place to stay for any traveller!

• 5th Dec 2013
  • South Africa

Really well located, friendly staff and dorm room was clean and inviting. I feel that the hotel offered good value for money, especially as a nice breakfast was included in the price. Also WiFi was free and much better than what I have experienced elsewhere. Finally they have a travel desk where you can book any tours etc that you're interested in, which saved me a lot of time and effort as they just organised everything on my behalf. Really enjoyed my stay here :).

• 24th Nov 2013

Renovations had just finished (they just opened) when I arrived and it looks fantastic. I stayed in a dorm room which had an en-suite and was extremely clean - they also provide towels. The wifi was free and the best I've used in Africa! The reception area is really cool and has lots of chill out space. The shared kitchen is in a cottage out the back and is clean and well equipped (gas stove top!). Location is really excellent - lots of restaurants right outside and Long St 5 mins walk