Oak Hostel Reviews

6-1-2 Higashiueno, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Great place, lovely helpful staff, highly recommend

After travelling through the different cities around Japan, I found Oak Hostel to be well positioned, close towards JR Ueno, and most importantly... easy to find. I am however quite disappointed at the atmosphere within the hostel, it is very quiet and I personally find it lacking in vibrancy. But then again, everyone is different. I found the staff to be very formal and polite, however I found them to be answering my questions like a machine. Maybe Oak Hostel is just not mytype of Hostel

Good location, a 10 minute walk from Ueno station (from which it is easy to go many places). Lots of convenience stores near the hotel. We had a double room for 3 nights, and it suited us (young couple) fine. Room was a bit dated but clean and functional nonetheless. Good wifi connection. For Tokyo, it's good value for money (though compared to the rest of Japan it seems pricey).

I love oak hotel !

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Thailand

Oak Hostel is not dirty, but the facility overall is aged and in disrepair. It is not well-sealed from outside cold. The staff was helpful and friendly, but their English was not the best, nor their knowledge of how to get around Tokyo. Mostly I gave this hostel a low rating because it doesn't have an inviting atmosphere or much of a common space to allow guests to interact. One of thesis reasons I stay in a hostel is to meet other traveller's and explore together, but that wasn't possible here.

Nice staff and I always happy to stay in Oak Hotel

WE LOST OUR ITEMS TWICE!!! Why housekeepers throw away our belongings which are NOT in trash bin? First time our receipts and lovely packing bags are gone, fortunately they are back one day later. Second time my friend's toothbrush is missing, and she has to buy a new one. I can't believe such things happened in Japan! The management and staff training must be improved! Room is tiny and has a bit of a bad smell, staff don't speak good English. Such a disappointment!

• 23rd Nov 2014
  • China

CAREFUL: BEDBUGS! Stayed one night at Oak hotel upon arrival to Tokyo. Japanese style room was fine and clean. Location is great - walkable distance to Ueno and quick walk to Inaricho metro station. I was planning on staying there again for 4 days at the end of my trip but found the room was infested with bed bugs. Told the staff, who reacted in surprise and said this was the first time they had heard about this. Cancelled my stay. Slept in a karaoke in Ueno instead. They refunded me in part.

The stay was great! Loved the location - very easy access to the Ginza subway line and easy to get around to top spots in the city. The room was exactly what I needed and very cozy. Front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. The only complaint I had was some mold in the shower that would have been a pretty easy clean I think. Otherwise excellent stay- would come back!

ที่พักสะอาดสะอ่าน พนักงานพูดจาดี อัธยาสัยดี ใกล้รถไฟฟ้าใต้ดิน ราคาถูกแต่ปลอดภัย คุ้มค่าครับ แนะนำเลยสำกรับที่นี่

• 20th Nov 2014
  • Thailand

Good hostel. The staff were polite and the location is perfect.

Safe, friendly staff, and good, clean accommodations. Not the most character to the hostel, but I appreciate how uneventful it was and the smooth operations.

I was surprised by having to pay in advance. I've never had this before, it might by a Hostel thing but it caught me out. Being warned ahead of time would have helped me. The staff were excellent. Very friendly, very helpful, very considerate. Very happy with the service, general facilities. Free internet too. The guests were less nice. Twice I had to ask people to be quiet after midnight who were using the corridor outside my room to pack or to chat and play games! Not happy with that.

• 13th Nov 2014

Oak Hostel is at strategic location which allow you to access to anywhere Tokyo area easily. 5min walk to Inaricho, 20min walk from Ueno Station and Keisei line (Express to Narita for 45Min). 2 subway station to Asakusa & 4 subway station to Tokyo Skytree (From Inaricho Station). 2 subway station to Akihabara (From Ueno Station). All the stuff can speck very well english. They are all very polite and helpful. Hostel is very clean. The only downside I think is the washroom is too small.

Stayed for 3 nights. The location is quite hidden, had to take a taxi, and the guy had to stop and asked for direction a little bit before we found the place. Overall, the place was nice, the staff are nice. The dorm room is quite good, they provide lockers to store our stuff and place to print my tickets as well for 10 yen per sheet, which is neat because I need to print out my tickets. I also has elevator so no need to carry all my stuff by stairs.

The check-in is too late for me (3p.m) and it is sad there is nothing in the bathroom (shampoo, shower gel). Otherwise all the rest was perfect.

• 6th Nov 2014

Everything was great except the room was smaller tan we thought

Great location, friendly staff, super clean and best of all it was extremely affordable! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Oak Hostel! Highly recommend to all :)

• 5th Nov 2014

Staff were friendly. They helped me book a table at a place and i had a lovely stay. 8/10

Very friendly and helpful staff, great location!! The rooms are very small and our bathroom was unclean, but we enjoyed our stay :-)

• 2nd Nov 2014