Oak Hostel Reviews

6-1-2 Higashiueno, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

the staff was very friendly and very good in English. The location is very convenient with lots of convenience stores around; only 10~15 minute walk to Ueno station, and only 1~2 minute walk from Inaricho station for the Ginza line. There's so many shops close to Ueno and Ameyoko district with everything I need from cosmetics, gifts/omiyage, supermarket, fresh foods, cakes, and more! I highly recommend this place and would come back again:)

Staying in his hotel was very convenient because of the location, however it was exceedingly difficult to find. I was lost in the streets of Ueno for a few minutes before I managed to find it. Also, it was incredibly nice to have so much stuff to help out foreign travelers, so I thought that was very unique and wonderful. However, the room itself was not the cleanest. There was obvious mildew in the bathroom and it was still wet from the previous occupant.

• 30th Apr 2014

I stayed here twice during my trip to Japan - once in a Japanese-style room, and once in a Western-style room. Both rooms were very nice, though my personal favorite was the Japanese-style room. Nice assortment of travel suggestions downstairs and friendly staff. Only downside is that Shibuya is 20 minutes away but not a deal breaker. Hostel is right on the Ginza subway line; easy to get to the airport/around town. Recommended.

Very friendly and helpfull

Fantastic location in Ueno which is a lovely area. Reasonably priced, nice and clean rooms, friendly staff and a great atmosphere. Would stay there again tomorrow!

• 24th Apr 2014

We were a bit disappointed as we stayed 8 days and were given the worst room without window (they refused to change it). Okay if you are in your 20's :-)

• 22nd Apr 2014

a nice place to stay at the outskirts of Tokyo friendly staffs thank you!

There is no better option for small budgets!!! Staff incredibly kind!!!

Probably one of the best places in Tokyo - Value for money. Oak hostel has the quality,cleanliness, service and feel of a hotel but with the added bonus of cooking facilities and dorm rooms (both which are essential when travelling on a budget in expensive Japan). Thanks Oak for your great hospitality!

Conveniently located a 2minute walk from subway station. Friendly, helpful staff, spotlessly clean. Atmosphere more like that of a budget hotel, as most guests are staying in private rooms.

Nice business hotel/hostel at convenient location.

Amazing staff, so welcoming and helpfull :) made my stay perfect. Thank you.

• 17th Apr 2014

Great staff, nice rooms, good value. Quiet at night. No rowdy neighbors like some other hostels. Having a shower in the room is so nice. I was impressed that there was daily maid service as well. Would recommend to anyone.

This was my second time I stayed in Oak Hostel. First 9 days when I arrived in Tokyo and then 3 days after I got back from Kyoto. I really liked the place the first time I was in Japan and it was just as good this time! I love the area, Ueno, and the hotel is close to Ueno station and everything else you need. The staff is very friendly and fun. I highly recommend it and I will stay there the next time I visit Tokyo!

The staff here was wonderful. I loved the restaurant suggestion book in the lobby it was extremely helpful with excellent suggestions. It was a very quiet hostel which was so nice.

The Oak Hostel is a fine small hostel with nice staff. There's just one thing I must criticise: At night there was a big noise made from some kind of generator outside, which was still very loud when you closed the window. With this it was hard to fall asleep. But still I would recommend to book at Oak Hostel also because of its perfect layer near Uenopark.

• 14th Apr 2014

A decent hostel close to Ueno Park and the Bunkyo area of Tokyo. Rooms are fairly big (for Tokyo!) and staff are friendly and helpful.

역에서 조금 걸어야 하지만 직원들도 매우 친절하고 좋았습니다. 다음번에도 또 가고싶네요.

• 11th Apr 2014
  • South Korea

i highly highly recommend the Oak. I was very sad to leave, especially since I ended up at a hotel that was twice as expensive, without the warmth and comfort of the Oak (and worse facilities). The Oak is in the quieter Taito neighborhood. It is a very easy 30 minutes (door to door) subway ride to the action in Shinjuku or Shibuya, if that's where you want to go. The staff is wonderful. Rooms clean and cozy.

• 8th Apr 2014

Except for the fact that one of the staff did not wake up in time at 6pm to do our check outs, everything else is good. They speak fluent english and are all very helpful. Though the room is small, I can still open all 3 luggages on the floor and the bathroom is fully well equipped.

• 7th Apr 2014