Oaklands Lodge Reviews

5A Oaklands Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

Great place to begin my adventure

• 10th Nov 2014

Really enjoy my stay at Oaklands Lodge. In fact, I just booked today for 3 weeks!!! The hostel is very clean, the staff super friendly as the other guests and it feel very safe. It's almost like a home away from home,except that to have to share a room with total strangers!! ;) Totally recommend this hostel to anyone.

We have a very good stay in this backpacker and recommand it, Jonny, the manager have help us a lot by advising us and say all we should know. People there are respectfull and friendly, beds are good and rooms are calm.

• 31st Oct 2014

quiet and clean place away from the city center. nice to avoid the party hostels in the center. bus to city center costs you 2$ only. i also like that its a flat building with just one floor up, it has a garden and you can climb up mount eden in 20 minutes. some comments complain about guests staying on long term. yes you will meet them and they can tell you a lot about their experience in nz! and you will also meet a lot of short term stayers. around 50/50 for my stay. i liked it that way!

• 30th Oct 2014

I had a lovely stay at oaklands lodge the staff there are amazing and really helpful. Really clean, great location only 15 mins on the bus to the city and lots of local shops. All the people who stay there are friendly and chatty. There is a good sized kitchen with all that you need, bathrooms were spotless as are the bedrooms.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

We would return any Time we stay in Auckland

Place is really wonderful. it is close to Onehunga town. So anyone can walk into nice pubs and restaurants at nights

• 11th Oct 2014
  • Sri Lanka

Really nice hostel with really friendly staff and a perfekt atmosphere. But it takes an hour to walk to the city center

• 3rd Oct 2014

We are really happy that we have made your stay a lovely one and hopefully one to remember. It does take about 45 minutes to walk into the city but there is regular bus (every 5 minutes during the week) that takes you into the city centre for $2.00 and only takes 10 minutes.

A good place to stay.

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Hong Kong
  • Couple, 41+

Such an unforgettable stay with cool mates I got to know thru stay here. Staff were excessively friendly and kind enough.

Thank you for choosing us for your choice of hostel in Auckland. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your traveling and look forward to seeing you again.

The kitchen, bathroom and common room are nice. Well located in Auckland if you wanna stay close to Mount Eden (great place to stay btw). The rooms are quiet nice, you have only simple beds which is nice. However, they wanna save energy so the plugs turn off every 45 minutes and you have to restart it again... The problem is that the heater is on the plug... so the rooms are really freezing in winter.

Thank you for your comment. The plugs are on timers which lasts for 90 minutes, not 45 minutes. We do provide additional blankets in all our rooms with doubled up duvets and if you require more blankets we are more than happy to supply them. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your trip around NZ and we look forward to seeing you again.

I stayed in a single room and it was wonderfully quiet in such a cool location. Staff are really sweet and friendly. I like the energy-saving principle of the timed powerpoints, but there was only one in my room and I had to choose between charging my camera and putting the heater on. After 90 minutes the timer turned off and things got very cold very quickly. Still, the room was a bargain. With money saved I bought a hot water bottle. In summer it would be awesome.

A lot of friendly long-term stayers at this hostel. The staff was helpful in answering questions, giving suggestions and being accommodating with luggage storage. No late night noise, great for sleeping! Plugs are on a 90 minute timer, so it got a little chilly sleeping at night after the heater turned off. Bathrooms could be cleaned more often. The hostel is located outside of the city center, however it's a quick bus ride downtown. Overall, a good stay.

A nice hostel in a nice area if a little outside the main area. The local area is really good though with the mount eden close by as well as good shops/cafes. Not bad value for money.

Nice quiet place to stay. Nice area. Close to Mt Eden so you an get a great view of the city. Only thing I thought was strange was they had 3 toilets and 1 sink for the whole hostel to use. It worked out though.

Thank you for your review. Not sure where you got your bathroom calculations from as we have 5 toilets and 4 sinks... We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

The guy on reception was lovely and really helpful but the people working in the hostel presumably working for free not so nice. Room was comfortable and warm.