Oaklands Lodge Reviews

5A Oaklands Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

The kitchen, bathroom and common room are nice. Well located in Auckland if you wanna stay close to Mount Eden (great place to stay btw). The rooms are quiet nice, you have only simple beds which is nice. However, they wanna save energy so the plugs turn off every 45 minutes and you have to restart it again... The problem is that the heater is on the plug... so the rooms are really freezing in winter.

I stayed in a single room and it was wonderfully quiet in such a cool location. Staff are really sweet and friendly. I like the energy-saving principle of the timed powerpoints, but there was only one in my room and I had to choose between charging my camera and putting the heater on. After 90 minutes the timer turned off and things got very cold very quickly. Still, the room was a bargain. With money saved I bought a hot water bottle. In summer it would be awesome.

A lot of friendly long-term stayers at this hostel. The staff was helpful in answering questions, giving suggestions and being accommodating with luggage storage. No late night noise, great for sleeping! Plugs are on a 90 minute timer, so it got a little chilly sleeping at night after the heater turned off. Bathrooms could be cleaned more often. The hostel is located outside of the city center, however it's a quick bus ride downtown. Overall, a good stay.

A nice hostel in a nice area if a little outside the main area. The local area is really good though with the mount eden close by as well as good shops/cafes. Not bad value for money.

Nice quiet place to stay. Nice area. Close to Mt Eden so you an get a great view of the city. Only thing I thought was strange was they had 3 toilets and 1 sink for the whole hostel to use. It worked out though.

Thank you for your review. Not sure where you got your bathroom calculations from as we have 5 toilets and 4 sinks... We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

The guy on reception was lovely and really helpful but the people working in the hostel presumably working for free not so nice. Room was comfortable and warm.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating, the lodge was pleasantly quiet at night as described on the Oakland Lodge page, and the bed was comfy. I stayed in a private room with a double bed and found the price to be reasonable and the facilities clean and all the usual amenities to be had.

• 22nd May 2014

Really nice clean hostel but the majority of guests are long termers so although friendly it's a bit cliquey- wouldn't recommend for solo travelers looking to meet people. Also found the staff a bit too strict- I.e I had a late flight but wasn't allowed to use the kitchen/ living room after 12 without paying an extra $10....a lot of other hostels are more easy going

Thank you for your comment, we really value them. Winter time we have more long term people staying, as do all hostels in order to be able to survive the winter months. Allowing people to stay until 12pm is extremely reasonable, most hostels don't allow you to stay after check-out, so not sure why this would be considered strict... I am pleased we are doing a good job and creating a clean hostel for our guests.

Generally had a great time, but I felt the room a bit too crowded. It is visible however that there is effort in further improving the place (e.g. power distributors, so that not only 2 sockets can be used, etc.)

extra Thankyou to Sebastian who ran the extra mile trying to locate my lost jumper without even being asked!

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Very nice quiet place on the airbus route and local bus to downtown.

Amazing hostel with some of the greatest staff. I've been staying at the lodge for almost a month, and it was by far the best month of my trip. Miss the people and the staff - definitely a must stay if you ever come to Auckland.

it is an average hostel with friendly staff in a great location which is taken over by long-termers and therefore not verz social if you are not one of them. I stayed in the 4bed dorm next to the most annoyingly loud laundry room (no doors) and the back yard where everyone goes for smoking so you will hear the door being smashed all night long. horrible rooom. even though it is not a gap year party hostel, there is drinking till very late most of the nights. wifi: only get 200mb per week.

Hi, thank you for your comments, we really value them. We are sorry you did not enjoy the room your booked. If you came to us, we could have had a look at an alternative room for you. The Laundry machines are locked after 9:30pm, so no noise from that during the night until 9am. During the winter we do get people staying in Auckland longer as they are working. We hope you enjoy the rest of your traveling.

This is the kind of hostel you arrive in to stay a couple of days and leave after several months. It really is a home from home, with awesome staff and friends you will keep for life. Clean and friendly, with activities set up for guests most days, it has everything you could need. Well located too in the beautiful Mount Eden village which has regular buses taking you into town in just 10 mins. Highly recommended.

We arrived in the evening with public bus, the station was close and it was easy to find if you have precise address of hostel. Only one plug in double room so that was the only issue as we wanted to charge more than one device.

• 31st Mar 2014
  • Latvia

Oaklands was a brilliant hostel, very welcoming, accomodating helpful, even at last notice! atmosphere stress free, great internal security, located on quiet street where i could park my vehicle easily and safely. had fun activities like BBQ nights etc avaliable or a great space to simply have a quiet night. Facilities was great ( including hairdryers.!) The place very clean and tidy, bed was incredibly comfy. handy on bus route to city, food market, cafes and 2min to Mt Eden summit

• 28th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Such a nice place to be! Welcoming, friendly, great atmosphere. Helpfull staff, super clean, not expensive at all and in a great place to discover auckland. Plenty of free parking!!! Would definetly go there again!

• 27th Mar 2014

Very poor cleanliness and complaint management. I suffered bed bug when I lived in this hostel on 25th March, 2014 for 7 days. I felt serious itch and much more red dots appeared on my body on the following days. I had requested to change the pillow, bucket and bed sheet but your female room attendant ignored my requested. I went to Royal Perth Hospital, and paid AUD$246.54 for medical treatment eventually. I have sent complaint letter to hostel on 15th May 2014 but no responds until now.

I stayed at Oaklands Lodge for almost six months, and it was so far the best six months of my trip in New Zealand. Amazing place to stay, I would any day recommend the hostel. Great staff, great people and just really nice and clean facilities. I've left Auckland now but I miss Oaklands very much already. A must stay in Auckland!

for the price this place is near unbeatable. the location is superb (mt eden is lovely and calm but has everything you want and is only a couple of dollars bus ride from the centre). the hostel is very clean and has a lovely atmosphere. the staff were 10/10 for helpfullness and genuinly friendly. the double room was lovely, comfy bed, and spacious, with dressing table and cupboard space. we had a lovely view of mt eden itself, and overlooked the front garden. shared bathrooms were clean too.