Oaklands Lodge Reviews

5A Oaklands Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

We were only meant to stay here 4 nights and so far we've been back 4 times and stayed for around a month.. Awesome place, friendly and helpful managers. Feels like home! Made some great friends here and I'd recommend this hostel to everyone and anyone.

• 7th Nov 2013
  • Wales
  • All Male Group, 18-24

only stayed 2 nights ... was greeted by very d=friendly receptionist .. english guy... easy booking in / paying etc.. single room... just what i needed... quiet outside... guests seemed nice but i didnt stay in lodge too long as was busy

• 7th Nov 2013

Friendly and funny staff, quiet location, clean bathrooms (which is important), supermarket within waking distance. Quiz night was heaps of fun!

Oaklands was the first hostel I checked into upon arrival in NZ . Johnny was the receptionist on duty that day and was very friendly. The hostel itself is in a great location within easy walking distance of Mt Eden. The local town has everything you'll need! My only gripe was that the cancellation conditions are not made clear. I cancelled my 3rd night with 1 days notice, but was not refunded. Instead I was given a "free night card" with an expiry date. Wasn't too happy with that.

Only a single night, so I didn't really get to experience the place or socialize. But from what I've seen it's a very good place, close to a bunch of stores and restaurants in a quiet neighbor. The bus is very close too, so it's a big plus. I would definitely stay there again if I pass by Auckland again.

Nice and peaceful place. The blackheared receptionist (girl) was superfriendly and always helpfull. Trainstation is near, so it's easy to travel to city center.

Jonny and the staff were very helpful and friendly. A good atmosphere and a very well organised and equipped hostel.

• 10th Oct 2013

One of the cleanest and nicest hostels I've ever stayed in =) Enjoyed it !

• 7th Oct 2013

Thank you for your lovely comment! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will see you again in the near future!

Manager Jonny was extremely helpful and friendly, he went out of his way to assist me on both my stays. Free towels a bonus. Would definitely stay there again.

• 1st Oct 2013

Great hostel with helpful and friendly staff.

• 28th Sep 2013
  • New Zealand

Friendly,quiet and spacious rooms.

Oakland Lodge is a great place to live. The atmosphere is good. We can feel ourselves like if we are at home. I recommend this backpacker lodge.

• 17th Sep 2013

I've been here just for a night, but I saw right away that this hostel is very good. Just outside the traffic of the city. The parking lot is not that big though

It was and it is still a very good time in this hostel. Here is a great mix of longer time and short time travelers at the moment. The dorm rooms are large and there are no double decker bads, so you can sleep very comfortable. In case of the atmosphere, the week-plan with quiz nights, cooking 4 all, poker nights, touch rugby,.. contribute to a very good living together. Why should I go to the Oaklands Lodge? - Near to downtown, nature (Mt Eden), helpful and polite manager, no boredom,

• 4th Sep 2013
  • Dustin1989

Location isn't that central but actually makes for a nice chilled experience. Either way the bus to town is cheap and quick!

• 25th Jul 2013
  • Scotland

Good value, clean kitchen, a few long stayers and short stayers, the themed nights make it easier to mingle.

Great Hostel, good location, place was clean, and the staff were very friendly :)

We stayed at Oaklands for 10 days and quickly felt like it was 'home.' The staff were extremely helpful and had answers to all our questions for getting started with our Working Holiday visas. The kitchen facilities were fantastic and we always had burners available when we needed them. Fun community environment in a nice area of Auckland - we'll be back!

Nice place to stay in Mount Eden. The only issue was that everyone seemed to work at the hostel or were staying long term so the atmosphere was a bit lost, everyone had already established friend groups so didn't chat much. Still a nice place.

Most of the people there where long time residents, and they formed they're own little cliques. It was difficult to meet new people. The staff were great, Jonny was awesome!! Very helpful and friendly, and they had a nice big kitchen. But like I said, unless you were traveling with a friend, or you knew how to speak french (mostly french people there), I would suggest looking elsewhere. I honestly still can't get over how rude and unfriendly the french were!