Ocara Hostel Reviews

Travessa Rotary, 72, Centro, Manaus, Brazil

This hostel was one of the worst I have stayed in. It was dirty, infested with ants EVERYWHERE, and horrible staff! One of the guys at the reception wanted to get more money from us and overcharged us because we arrived before check in time at 12:00pm, arriving and checking into the hostel are different. The receptionist was really rude and tried calling the cops on me because I argued with him over overcharging us. THERE ARE ANTS, I was afraid of ants crawling in my face and my private areas!

Felt like a second home. It is full of great people, the owner Fabio is a mensch, and the location is perfect. The common area on the bottom floor is great for relaxing and chatting. For R$60 they'll send a driver to get you to or from the airport at any hour of the day. If you go in the next three weeks you'll meet Max!

The staff was so helpful and friendly.

• 10th Jun 2015

Nice host in a good location just around the corner from the tours offices, bus stop and various museums. Had a clean room with a fan, staff were friendly and helpful. Nice courtyard and recreational area with a cute cat running around.Only downfall was the kitchen, very basic and old with dead and alive ants on the counter tops constantly.

Manaus is great place in brazil and hostel has been excellet too. really friendly staff and owner fabio Always take care of you. great barbecou, free pool table, free potable water, breakfast included and really clean. staff speak many languages. i spent 4 days totally in relax.best place in Manaus definitly.

What was good: Security, breakfast, laundry service, location close to the main square, air con. What wasn't so good Hardly any kitchen utensils No mirrors in room or bathroom. No tv No wifi in our double room.

Unfortunately we had a lot of problems with this hostel. First of all, we reserved a transfer from the airport to the hostel at 2 am., and nobody showed up to pick up us. We managed to arrive at the hostel by 3 am and nobody opened the door for us. Nobody answered the phone, we rang the bell a lot of times and we had to go to another hostel. Next day, we went back to the hostel and our room was very noisy, someone was hammering the wall. We asked our money back and we went to another place.

We only stayed in this hostel for one night before going on an amazon trip. It's really close to the office of amazon gero. Our room was basic but had good aircon and shelves and pegs. The floor was concrete and the bathroom smelled. We needed earplugs as people were being noisy in the court yard. Breakfast was average, overall ok for a short stay.

The owner is super friendly, rest of the staff seem to be a little clueless sometimes, though they all try to do there best. The building is very old and but therefor clean. Rooms are spacious. Breakfast standard. Nice common areas with TV and lovely outside area. We would go there again!

When i arrived they didn't have the room that i reserved. They put me in another room and at the check out day they wanted that i pay more. The breakfast was simple. In the bathroom there wasn't sink siphon and the door was brocken. I don't recommend this hostel.

• 15th Feb 2015

I came back to this hostel after almost two years and, again, I found an excellent welcoming Hostel. The house has different spaces to relax, nice staff, clean rooms, good breakfast and It seems that they have worked to solve the past bad comments. There was one bathroom under maintenance, but the house have many of them , so this was not a problem. Fabio, the owner is always willing to help you in your planning to go to the forest, which really helps to improve your experience in Manaus.