Ocara Hostel Reviews

Travessa Rotary, 72, Centro, Manaus, Brazil

Well located near the historic centre and lots of restaurants and bars as well as having good transport links to the airport via public bus. Variety of languages spoken by the front desk were helpful. Nice social space with lots of sofas and hammocks as well as hand washing facilities outside. Breakfast was ok, but could have had more variety.

We managed to book the only dorm without air conditioning. It was a billion degrees in Manaus at the time (August), and the room was an oven. I personally found the website disingenuous, because it implied the hostel was fully air conditioned, but if you look carefully, ours was the dorm that only had "ventilation". There was no laundry service provided, despite "the money back guarantee" on the website. Very few of the staff spoke english, making it awkward to communicate.

• 5th Aug 2015

Dear Guest, we are really sorry for all the inconvenience, we strive to provide all our guests a service that caters everybodys needs , this is why we have different styles of dorms. When we set up a page on hostelworld we feed the information in english, but the translation is done by them and unfortunatly it's far from accurate this is why when u´ve booked the dorm you weren´t aware that was without aircon. Very soon you will recieve an email asking for details so we can refound you.

Very inexpensive but good hostel. Next to one of the main street and very close to the main square. Fabio, the owner, is very friendly and helpful. I got a dorm with private bathroom and A\C the first night for R$35 but during the night there was no water. the following night I got a dorm with shared bathroom without A\C for R$28. Everything is basic but worth the price. Good breakfast included. Free transfer from and to the airport.

• 1st Aug 2015
  • Switzerland

This hostel was one of the worst I have stayed in. It was dirty, infested with ants EVERYWHERE, and horrible staff! One of the guys at the reception wanted to get more money from us and overcharged us because we arrived before check in time at 12:00pm, arriving and checking into the hostel are different. The receptionist was really rude and tried calling the cops on me because I argued with him over overcharging us. THERE ARE ANTS, I was afraid of ants crawling in my face and my private areas!

Dear Guest - OCARAhostel has ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY against people with lack of respect towards any member of our staff and/or guest, and due to your disrespctfull and deceptive behavior I believe your review does not reflect the facts and reality, but Let´s real travellers decide. For this reason OCARAhostel will be giving a FREE accommodation as long as anyone wants if arriving at OCARA hostel and finding our HOME dirty! Fabio Marques - Owner

Felt like a second home. It is full of great people, the owner Fabio is a mensch, and the location is perfect. The common area on the bottom floor is great for relaxing and chatting. For R$60 they'll send a driver to get you to or from the airport at any hour of the day. If you go in the next three weeks you'll meet Max!

The staff was so helpful and friendly.

• 10th Jun 2015

Nice host in a good location just around the corner from the tours offices, bus stop and various museums. Had a clean room with a fan, staff were friendly and helpful. Nice courtyard and recreational area with a cute cat running around.Only downfall was the kitchen, very basic and old with dead and alive ants on the counter tops constantly.

Manaus is great place in brazil and hostel has been excellet too. really friendly staff and owner fabio Always take care of you. great barbecou, free pool table, free potable water, breakfast included and really clean. staff speak many languages. i spent 4 days totally in relax.best place in Manaus definitly.

What was good: Security, breakfast, laundry service, location close to the main square, air con. What wasn't so good Hardly any kitchen utensils No mirrors in room or bathroom. No tv No wifi in our double room.

Unfortunately we had a lot of problems with this hostel. First of all, we reserved a transfer from the airport to the hostel at 2 am., and nobody showed up to pick up us. We managed to arrive at the hostel by 3 am and nobody opened the door for us. Nobody answered the phone, we rang the bell a lot of times and we had to go to another hostel. Next day, we went back to the hostel and our room was very noisy, someone was hammering the wall. We asked our money back and we went to another place.

We only stayed in this hostel for one night before going on an amazon trip. It's really close to the office of amazon gero. Our room was basic but had good aircon and shelves and pegs. The floor was concrete and the bathroom smelled. We needed earplugs as people were being noisy in the court yard. Breakfast was average, overall ok for a short stay.

The owner is super friendly, rest of the staff seem to be a little clueless sometimes, though they all try to do there best. The building is very old and but therefor clean. Rooms are spacious. Breakfast standard. Nice common areas with TV and lovely outside area. We would go there again!

When i arrived they didn't have the room that i reserved. They put me in another room and at the check out day they wanted that i pay more. The breakfast was simple. In the bathroom there wasn't sink siphon and the door was brocken. I don't recommend this hostel.

• 15th Feb 2015

I came back to this hostel after almost two years and, again, I found an excellent welcoming Hostel. The house has different spaces to relax, nice staff, clean rooms, good breakfast and It seems that they have worked to solve the past bad comments. There was one bathroom under maintenance, but the house have many of them , so this was not a problem. Fabio, the owner is always willing to help you in your planning to go to the forest, which really helps to improve your experience in Manaus.

I had the best stay at the Ocara hostel. The host Fabio helped me out allot with information and tips for nice places to see. The staff at the hostel is nice and help full. I was only supposed to saty there one week but i extended my stay with two weeks. Its was one of the better good vibe hostels that i stayed during my travels in Brasil.

• 26th Dec 2014

Good breakfasts, poor bathrooms (many, but door not closing properly, water not always working). They are trying to keep it clean and tidy by painting etc, also the yard is nice, but overall doesn't feel very clean (bathrooms again). Rooms are fine, lockers are outside. Some rooms have AC, some only fan. There is a 10R$ difference in price between them, so it's ok.

Good breakfast, poor bathrooms. Pool table downstairs. Service in the evening doesn't speak any English.

Very basic unclean hostel with no safety (anyone can walk in the front door and the lockers are broken). Poor room layout with some beds too warm and others freezing next to the air con. Unhelpful staff and the breakfast was terrible. I wouldn´t stay here again. Go to Hi Manaus, much better hostel

Visited this hostel nearly 2 months ago, but made the effort to come back and write a review as the hostel really deserves it. Fabio is the best host you could hope for: kind, friendly, full of local knowledge, and an all round lovely guy! The hostel is in a great location for walking around and exploring Manaus (5 min walk to the Opera House), and Ocara has established links with great amazon tour companies. Came to Brazil for the World Cup, but Manaus/ the Amazon ended up being the best bit.

I really liked staying at Ocara, the location was excellent, the rooms were comfortable (the ones with AC! the only one without AC should definitely get the upgrade because it was like an oven, my friend ended up sharing a bed with me because they couldn't handle the heat), and the staff was the best. Oh, and the little kitten was super sweet and affectionate :)

• 17th Jul 2014