Ocara Hostel Reviews

Travessa Rotary, 72, Centro, Manaus, Brazil

Great ubication, but it was really dirty and very bad administrate.

• 25th Feb 2014
  • Chile

We stayed one night in a dorm room and one night in a private. The dorm was great, big room with lots of space and comfy beds. The private was dingy with a bed as hard as a rock! Really nice hostel with lots of areas to relax and free use of the washing machine.

Very friendly staff and great atmosphere. My fiance got sick during our stay and they were extremely accommodating and helpful. They cook the best fish in the area. If you are around for that I highly recommend it. Manaus is a very big city and the hostel doesn't seem to be in the safest area. However, we never had any problems.

This was an ok hostel. The owner has had it about 12 months, and just needs to sort out other staff, as he's trying to do everything himself, and it just can't work! It's in a great location, once we found it. Be sure to email for exact instructions re exiting the bus!

Good location - next to tourist attractions. Nice communal areas and good place to meet other travellers. Basic facilities, but the kitchen is very dirty and half the lockers don't work or can be easily broken. Free filtered water and air-con in the rooms is a bonus. Free breakfast is okay - but you have to get in early. A valuable item of mine did go missing during my stay and I am not convinced that it wasn't the staffs fault so be cautious. Certain staff members are unhelpful and unpleasant.

Great hostel. Nice staff. The pool was definitely a plus with the humidity in Manaus. Kitchen and toilets were clean.

The staff here was great, but my private room was definitely overpriced. I paid $45 a night to sleep on box springs: I was told that there were no other options. I would probably consider going somewhere else.

Friendly staff. The street doesn't look safe but it's actually a good location quiet and close to the center. Good if you're on a budget.

Staff was comprised of 2 guys who were pleasant, knew their way around and helpful. The premises are located pretty central, port, opera house, few bars...a good value for your buck and for a few night stay. The guide they work with for the Jungle tours, shuttle service is great. Jean Silva Rodrigues was the guides name. I highly recommend you book your adventure trips with him. A wonderful guy with good experience and knowledge of the landscape. Ocara was great cuz of the wonderful guests.

We stayed at ocada on two separate occasions. The owner fabio and the majority of his staff were great, but some could be surly! The dorm we stayed in was a good size, beds comfy but it was attached to a female only room and they had to walk through our which was annoying! The biggest problem was the state of the bathrooms (which on our second stay was much better) the bins overflowing and toilets and showers in desparate need of daily cleaning! Overall good, good facilities and near to town.

Nice helpful staff. Very accommodating. Good location. Chill atmosphere in the middle of a noisy not so pleasant city. Basic hostel but quite a bit of open, shared space which was nice. I'd recommend it.

I stayed only one night, but the hostel seems pretty nice. Staff is friendly and atmosphere is great. Sometimes restrooms have a bad smell, but it seems more a plumbing problem than as cleaning issue.

One of the best hostels i've ever stayed at. And i've stayed at a lot. :)

Check in took about 30 minutes because the receptionist didn't know how to photocopy our passports. All this was at 1am so we were ready for bed! We booked on hostel world but he didn't seem to be aware of our booking, he also didn't believe that we'd already made a part payment when we booked. He couldn't give us access to the wifi because he said that only the manager has the password and he was not around. Breakfast started at 7:30. We can downstairs at 7:35 and all the bread was gone.

• 1st Oct 2013

Great hostel, good atmosphere and location and friendly helpful staff, would recommend.

There was only a few people staying there while i was in Manaus, but it was a great little hostel, very chilled out and a nice place to unwind before or after some time in the jungle!

staff very helpful about jungle tour and boat from manaus to belem - big lockers - dorms with fan are ok for me but you have to like warm night or choose one with AC

Ocara Hostel was an excellent place to stay in Manaus. Second day I went with the owner Fabio to the harbour market at 6am it was amazing. The staff really helped me planning my trip to Port Velho. It was amazing clean, All in all I would recommend any traveller to stay at this hostel A further advantage it was really close to the centre 3 minutes walk to the tmain attraction Manaus Opera House and 30 second to the road where all the buses past in Manaus(Getulio Vargas)I stayed 4 extra days.

I was very happy with my stay at ocara, when i arrived i found the hostel to be lacking in atmosphere, however this is no fault of the hostel or there staff, more the fact that it was not the peak season for amazon rainforest. The hostel was clean and the staff and owner were very friendly, there is more to manaus than just the rainforest however most people i met were staying for a one night stopover before exploring the amazon, Ocara over a great service and i would stay happily stay again !!

The location is perfect but the room and the bathroom were not very clean. Also, the bed was very hard but the owner told us that he would change the bed soon. Very safe and Fabio was very helpful.