Ocara Hostel Reviews

Travessa Rotary, 72, Centro, Manaus, Brazil

The owner is super friendly, rest of the staff seem to be a little clueless sometimes, though they all try to do there best. The building is very old and but therefor clean. Rooms are spacious. Breakfast standard. Nice common areas with TV and lovely outside area. We would go there again!

When i arrived they didn't have the room that i reserved. They put me in another room and at the check out day they wanted that i pay more. The breakfast was simple. In the bathroom there wasn't sink siphon and the door was brocken. I don't recommend this hostel.

• 15th Feb 2015

I came back to this hostel after almost two years and, again, I found an excellent welcoming Hostel. The house has different spaces to relax, nice staff, clean rooms, good breakfast and It seems that they have worked to solve the past bad comments. There was one bathroom under maintenance, but the house have many of them , so this was not a problem. Fabio, the owner is always willing to help you in your planning to go to the forest, which really helps to improve your experience in Manaus.

I had the best stay at the Ocara hostel. The host Fabio helped me out allot with information and tips for nice places to see. The staff at the hostel is nice and help full. I was only supposed to saty there one week but i extended my stay with two weeks. Its was one of the better good vibe hostels that i stayed during my travels in Brasil.

• 26th Dec 2014

Good breakfasts, poor bathrooms (many, but door not closing properly, water not always working). They are trying to keep it clean and tidy by painting etc, also the yard is nice, but overall doesn't feel very clean (bathrooms again). Rooms are fine, lockers are outside. Some rooms have AC, some only fan. There is a 10R$ difference in price between them, so it's ok.

Good breakfast, poor bathrooms. Pool table downstairs. Service in the evening doesn't speak any English.

Very basic unclean hostel with no safety (anyone can walk in the front door and the lockers are broken). Poor room layout with some beds too warm and others freezing next to the air con. Unhelpful staff and the breakfast was terrible. I wouldn´t stay here again. Go to Hi Manaus, much better hostel

Visited this hostel nearly 2 months ago, but made the effort to come back and write a review as the hostel really deserves it. Fabio is the best host you could hope for: kind, friendly, full of local knowledge, and an all round lovely guy! The hostel is in a great location for walking around and exploring Manaus (5 min walk to the Opera House), and Ocara has established links with great amazon tour companies. Came to Brazil for the World Cup, but Manaus/ the Amazon ended up being the best bit.

I really liked staying at Ocara, the location was excellent, the rooms were comfortable (the ones with AC! the only one without AC should definitely get the upgrade because it was like an oven, my friend ended up sharing a bed with me because they couldn't handle the heat), and the staff was the best. Oh, and the little kitten was super sweet and affectionate :)

• 17th Jul 2014

Close to downtown and the theatre but not the nicest area. Staff were good and helpful, but for the price we paid would have expected more. Showers were all poor and unclean.

There was virtually no security, but we had nothing stolen so I guess it didn't matter. Although air conditioned, it's hot inside because the rooms are small and enclosed. No frills, but if you just need a place to lay your head I guess it's ok. The location is good - only a 5min walk to the Opera House/central square.

• 21st Jun 2014

No good. Was in a building down the road from the main hostel - anyone could have walked in day or night, no lock, no security, nothing. Breakfast wasnt great, kitchen was grotty and poorly equipped, no lock on bathroom door no computer, no toilet paper at one point, and (world cup or not) incredibly overpriced. Staff tried their best, but couldnt make up for the flaws. There are much better hostels in manaus for half the price

Hostel close to the Centro. Share space,kitchen TV and hammock. And this has been to no breakfast in the hostel world but eaten cake and bread, and omelet. Wi-Fi is weak in the room of the dormitory. The shower water only, and narrow.

The staff and location are amazing. The only things that let it down are: the poor choice at breakfast, the lack of a computer that guests can use and the lack of handsoap in the bathrooms.

Excelent hostel with the best breakfast I had in all my trip in Brazil. Fabio, the manager is just a great guy! I had a wonderful stay in this hostel.

Nice Hostel, friendly and helpful staff! Would definitely come back here!

I had a great time at the Ocara Hostel. The atmosphere of the travelers during my short stay and one river trip says that this is a cool hostel. A++.

• 17th Apr 2014

thanks guys for making our stay in Manaus just excellent!! Please continue this way :)

Great ubication, but it was really dirty and very bad administrate.

• 25th Feb 2014
  • Chile

Dear Maria , my name is Fabio and I run the hostel and unfortunately at the time of your stay I was away. I am glad to hear you have liked what we have been working hard to offer not only a comfy bed for the night but a good home for all travellers to meet up and explore manaus and the amazon. Regarding your insatisfaction you should have recieved an email from me and I would appreciate if you could give more details in order to take steps towards preventing it of happening again.OCARA hostel

We stayed one night in a dorm room and one night in a private. The dorm was great, big room with lots of space and comfy beds. The private was dingy with a bed as hard as a rock! Really nice hostel with lots of areas to relax and free use of the washing machine.

« first « Prev 1 2 3