Ocean Hostel Ipanema Reviews

Rua Barao da Torre 175, Casa 15 / House 15, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I had a good stay at this hostel. First thing you notice is that it is extraordinarily clean. Very good location in Ipanena, just a block or so from the each. Big lockers are provided in the room. Mano, the owner/manager, will do whatever he can to make your stay comfortable. Breakfast is not included, but the hostel will provide a voucher for $3 for a hearty breakfast at the corner deli (stand-up only, no seats.). As others have stated, this is not a party hostel. That was fine for me.

Really clean, modern. Friendly and helpful staff. Awesome location. Good kitchen and wifi. Not a party atmosphere if that was what you were after, but we just wanted to chill so it was ideal.

We'd stay there again for sure. Close to the beach, near the metro, near shops, near restaurants- perfect location. Bathrooms were clean, staff were helpful and English speaking. Kitchen was fairly well equipped. Wifi could have been better in the higher floors. Staff let us store our bags all day and use the bathroom before a night bus, which was good. Common area is a but small, but has mario kart and netflix.

This hostel was perfectly situated and very clean! The kitchen very well equiped. The staff at the reception did not seem very enthusiast about their job and we felt they were bored to answer our questions and help us (they rather wanted to play MarioKart). Anyway, we really enjoyed how clean the hostel was and the proximity to the beach and would definitely recommend!

Very smooth enviroment. Not a party hostel and no breakfast, but the location is awesome! For quiet travelers

Ótimo hostel, limpo e bem localizado

• 4th Jun 2015

Great hostel three blocks behind Ipanema beach!! Amazing lockers that can fit a lot of stuff. This hostel is the cleanest I have encountered, you will never find this place dirty. Great staff too who are hilarious yet still helpful. This hostel suits those who are independent as it is quieter than most. That said you can still meet fellow travellers here and bond over Mario Kart downstairs.

The cleanest hostel we've stayed in. We loved it, good location in ipanema and very near to the metro. They have lots of very useful tips and information on the wall

Nice hostel, I really enjoyed my stay.

• 25th May 2015
  • Norway

Extremely good hostel, located very close to bars and restaurants. They have a TV with Netflix and Wii. The kitchen is the best I have seen in a hostel! However, poor atmosphere due to no real chill out area. However, if your not looking to party it is definitely a good place to stay.

Ocean Hostel Ipanema is just "the place" to have a perfect stay in Rio de Janeiro.

Excellent location and clean, neat, new facilities. A perfect place for a couple or others who are not as interested in partying or socializing, for the hostel does not offer much in terms of common areas or an atmosphere that invites you to spend a lot of time there. Rather, a quiet place to relax, sleep, and head out into the city or down to the beach. The staff was very helpful when at the reception, but, frequently, they were nowhere to be found.

Clean and new place , awesome bathrooms. Emanuel at the reception will help you with anything, very nice. Very good if you're traveling with friends or as a couple, but if you're on your own don't go there, there's very limited common space.

Very clean, modern, super cool staff, excellent location!

• 23rd Mar 2015

The hostel was great ! but it seems like they do not have much experience managing hostels, so, there is a great place to stay (very good facilities and very good price) but is not a young hostel atmosphere. They overbooked the hostel, and left me without bed. After some insistence, they assigned a spare bed for me. It was a good resolution -of a problem that should have not passed- but it took too long for them to offer me the possibility. THERE IS NO BREAKFAST INCLUDED.

Very clean hostel with comfortable beds in an unbeatable location, run in a European way. The second night we stayed there the AC wasn't working in the dorm which meant we got very little sleep because of the heat, but other than that a great place non-party hostel.

Unbeatable location and value for money in terms of cleanliness/facilities. Downside is there is no breakfast included, and zero atmosphere if you're a solo traveler. Still recommend this hostel for friends traveling together. Just awesome location!

Cleanest hostel we've seen in South America. We stayed in a pokey wooden double room for one night for €45 which is very good for Brazil. Room was accessed by a small wooden stairs near a window with no handrail. Slightly dangerous. The wooden slats on the wall in the room were pointing the wrong way which lacked privacy. Bathrooms were new+highest standard we've seen. Owner was extremely helpful and a breakfast voucher was available for BRL10 in corner cafe and was excellent. Not a party hostel

Loved this hostel. Organized, clean, beautiful, charming. The only thing I didn't like was the location of the air conditioner. It stands under the window, and it's very necessary because Rio is too hot. I will always come back to this place.

• 18th Feb 2015

Excellent location-- close to the beach, metro station, supermarkets and various restaurants and bars. The staff seems to work hard to ensure the facilities are cleaned daily and well maintained. I stayed in the dorm and found it to be quite spacious relative to other hostels I had stayed at in Rio. Not much common space but you'll still have the chance to meet people if you desire. Only complaint is that I felt the location of toilet paper rolls in bathrooms was intended for contortionists.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels