Ocean Hostel Ipanema Reviews

Rua Barao da Torre 175, Casa 15 / House 15, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

A great hostel with very helpful, friendly staff. All the facilities were spotless and modern. It was very comfortable, safe and well priced, the bed was a highlight! Fantastic location with a range of restaurants, cafes and transport hubs. It's of course great to have both Ipanema and Copacabana beaches within short walking distance. If I come back to Rio I'd definitely return (and will recommend). P.S. This is the first review I've felt compelled to leave!

• 12th Dec 2014

This hostel has everything you need, and its in a great location as well. The only con is that this place is mainly id say for couples or groups of friends. If youre traveling on your own the chance of meeting new people at this hostel is not great. Its not a party hostel, but you can sign up for different parties elsewhere at the reception i think. Overall i really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely come back when returning to rio

Without hesitation I recommend what is surely the cleanest and most professionally run hostel I've stayed at. I was so glad to have chosen this hostel (nb: there are a few located close to this same location). Do yourself a favour and, assuming you are not after a massive party hostel, just book this one. Great facilities; great staff; great value.

Perfectly clean. Perfect location. Individual bathrooms makes the whole difference to the common shower rooms. But the staff could be a lot more inviting: you don't feel like home (like in several other hostels in the world), unfortunately you have that feeling that you will be grounded by touching this or that. But again, it's still worth it !

• 28th Nov 2014

We really really really enjoyed our stay at this hostel! Great location, amazing staff, very clean and friendly/chill vibe. A special shout out to our "Canadian sistah" Jen who made our time at the Ocean Hostel Ipanema extra fantastic! Many thanks, Renee and Monique

• 26th Nov 2014

Pro: rooms are very clean and quite big, free drinking water, lockers are big enough to store your bags, close to beach, shops and restaurants, good WIFI Con: kitchen is quite small and there's no real common area where you can relax and hang out with other travellers

A nice quiet hostel in a lovely location of Ipanema. There was lots of useful information available at the front desk in English, and the staff were helpful with organising day trips and transfers. The cooking facilities were good although we would have enjoyed some mugs to drink from and a change of towels after 3 days (they would change them after 4 days for free or you can otherwise pay). Overall we would highly recommend for other couples.

• 20th Nov 2014

Super clean hostel, well equipped with bi kitchen, great area in ipanema, safe and close to the beach, supermarkets, restaurants and bars! We'll be back :)

• 12th Nov 2014

Nice, simple, clean

• 2nd Nov 2014

Very friendly staff. It feels like home. Everything is clean and good quality. Is a quiet hostel, so you wont see much of a party atmosphere.

I had stayed at 10 dorm room. The bed and pillow was very clean and no bad odor. Breakfast is not free. And there was kitchen but common sapce to take food or talk to other guest was too small. Other than this, the room, the shower booth and bed condition were extremely good.

This hostel was fantastic. The guy from Guildford

really terrific hostel, one of the best I've ever stayed, and above all very friendly and helpfull staff

This hostel is located in one of the most secure neighborhood of Rio. I read from other people that it's clean and with excellent facilities and I can vouch for that. I planned 2 days stay and decided to extend as found out its a good place.

A new hostel, which was a welcome break from the party hostels in Rio. This was my third hostel in the city and I would highly recommend this if you wish to stay in the Ipanema area. Close to Metro and shops. Bathrooms always clean and spotless. Rooms spacious, a welcome relief from the usual over cramped conditions in other hostels. Good kitchen facilities. Common area was not the greatest as it was very small in size.

An extremely clean, extremely friendly hostel a few blocks back from the beach. Not sure what else you could want! Thanks again!

• 15th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

It was really nice! I got a private room and could sleep very well! The shared bathroom was clean and the shower awesome!

• 12th Sep 2014

Best bathroom throughout our 2 week stay in Brazil. Awesome water pressure. The noise was our only complaint because people would congregate on the lower level and it would reverberate all the way up and echo like crazy throughout the halls. Staff was a little aloof, as well.

I have never seen such a clean hostel before!

A very clean and nice hostel located very close to the beach of Ipanema. Nice staff, friendly and helpful. Fast WiFi and the best facilities I've ever seen in a hostel (mine at home aren't that good). It's also easy to get there from the airport by bus. The local metro is near and you get to all the interesting spots from there. I highly recommend it.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels