Ocean Island Inn | Backpackers | Suites Reviews

791 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, BC, Victoria, Canada

Make a "Any Alcohol found in rooms will be removed sign".

Clean,convenient with friendly staff who obliged with extra fan and help with electric switch. However room on Main Street was noisy and warm and if the room had had 5 occupants instead of 3 it would have been very cramped .

Only stayed one night but enjoyed the stay.

Enjoyed our stay. Even the weather was great. Thanks

• 4th Sep 2014

The Hostel was amazing and the location was great. But 5 bathrooms on the 4th floor is not enough when the hostel is fully booked.

Nice place. Good value for money. Pleasant staff. Very convenient bike storage. The room was very small, which isn't a problem for me, but might be for others. I will stay here again next time I am in Victoria.

Hostel has a pub on the ground floor, which is good for meeting people, still its not too noisy if u wanna sleep. rooms are small but clean (bathrooms too). staff was very friendly. would definititely recommend this hostel.

The rooms are incredibly small here. I also had someone in the room that was working at the hostel at the time and their stuff was EVERYWHERE, so combined with a small room this was not ideal. Perhaps those working at the hostel should room together and not with guests. Otherwise the location and facilities were really good, the bathrooms were very clean which was great. I don;t think there are many hostel options in Victoria and given this I would probably stay again.

• 12th Aug 2014

Hi! We’re glad you enjoyed our very clean bathrooms, facilities and central location! Our dorms are a bit smaller, but with only 4-6 guests in each one we feel that they’re spacious enough. We sometimes have staff stay with us until they find more permanent accommodations but it’s reasonable that all guests in a dorm keep their belongings neat and tidy. It’s our policy to ensure that this is the case but we will speak to our housekeepers to ensure this is fully happening. Happy travels.

Nice place and area, simple to walk to everything around Vic Downtown Room was pretty small, but I was wondering that I got a 4 Bedroom not 6 ;) U will have a big Lock so enough space for ur stuff, also the own fridge was pretty good Kitchen are big enough, to cook for ur self Staff are friendly and helpful The Bar and Restaurant are very cheap for Vic area and also good quality

Hello and thanks for letting us know how we did. We are glad our facilities, location, cleanliness, food quality and storage made your stay enjoyable. We also offer many different types of rooms for different budgets, please don’t hesitate to inquiry about them. We hope to see you back in Victoria. Safe and happy travels.

real nice hostel. I had a good time there, but this always depends on the people. It is about 4km away from downtown Whistler so it depends what u do there. Nice lakes around for swimming.

I had a very pleasant stay here for a couple of nights. The hostel was clean and comfortable and the staff were super helpful with directions and recommendations. I was initially a little worried about noise but it turned out to not be a problem at all, despite the fact I'm a light sleeper. Overall, very happy with everything and would definitely return!

Hi there! It makes us happy that we could help with directions and recommendations, we are glad that you found us clean and quiet. We also offer earplugs at the front desk if you are a light sleeper. We will be happy to see you again when you come back. It was a pleasure to have hosted you. Safe and happy travels!

Decor slightly tired but clean and good for a couple of nights

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to review us online! Thanks for acknowledging our cleanliness and we hope you stay with us again! Safe and happy travels!

Really Nice atmosphere, free live music

Hello! We are glad you enjoyed our environment and cafe lounge events, please feel free to drop by anytime to enjoy more of our events and don’t forget to bring some friends too! Safe and happy travels!

we were not very satisfied with the accomodation. excpecially the bathrooms were not clean and furthermore had an awful smell. the room was hot and not beautiful. everything was a little bit run-down.

Thanks for your feedback. Our bathrooms are cleaned multiple times a day by our housekeeping staff, though just one guest using the bathroom can make it look messy. You can also use any one of the 6 bathrooms on each floor. All of our rooms have fans, and extra fans are available upon request, which we find is generally sufficient for Victoria’s cool summers. We employ a full time maintenance person to ensure our building isn’t run-down, but it is a historic building. Happy travels.

It's a bit of a strange set up - it's a shame there's not a more communal area! The kitchen is pretty run down but the location is good and the general facilities are also good! We paid significantly extra for a private room and it was tiny!

It was a lovely place, and the staff was super friendly and helpful! My only negative was it was loud and very hard to sleep at night. :( but that is out of your control. So it was lovely!!!

• 28th Jul 2014

Hello there! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we always try to do our best for guests such as yourself. We are sorry to hear the sound was a bit disturbing, we are around 24 hours a day and always happy to offer a room switch or even earplugs if you need it. Safe and happy travels!

This place is located by the homeless shelter. I kept hearing this bum outside my window just screaming and banging at a door across the street to be let back in. It seemed that he was kicked out of his place. Luckily, I had my ear buds to kind of blocked the sound. Overall, the space was really cramped for what I was really paying for. The staff there did their job, but there were some who were "off duty" that made me feel unwelcome at the hostel. At least my dorm did not have bed bugs.

The bathrooms were very dirty the whole time we stayed. It was quite disappointing. The staff did not clean it, they cleaned it on the afternoon the day we left.

• 25th Jul 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We are very surprised at your comments about our bathrooms, as our housekeeping staff clean all the bathrooms in the building three times a day. However, we are quite busy during the high season, and splashes from the shower can give some people the mistaken impression that our bathrooms are not clean. However, due to your review we are going to meet with our housekeeping supervisor to ensure that our high standards are continuing to be met. Safe travels.

Welcome was warm and friendly. Shared facilities and cafe looked good, though didn't use them for 1 night stay. In room facilities (private small double) was very basic. 6ft by 10ft, double bed, fridge and fan. Free wi-fi was good connection. Rooms and linens are tired and could've been cleaner, but I've stayed in much worse! Hostelworld 10% deposit not deducted, only realised in hindsight, still good value for Victoria. Overall was good, and I would stay here again.

Hello! We are happy you enjoyed our warm welcome, shared facilities, cafe and wifi. We replace our linen regularly but considering your comment we reviewed our procedures and increased the frequency of replacement. Many of our most popular rooms are quite small - to reflect our small prices! However, we have larger rooms available for only a few dollars more. Please contact us directly so we can sort out your deposit issue. Happy travels!

I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights and therefore the small room we had (twin private), it was really cool! For those who don't really like dormitory, that kind of room is ideal! The hostel was super cool, people were nice and the staff amazing! They helped us finding cool places to visit, it was really appreciate! Thank you :)

• 22nd Jul 2014