Ocean Island Inn | Backpackers | Suites Reviews

791 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, BC, Victoria, Canada

Nice place and area, simple to walk to everything around Vic Downtown Room was pretty small, but I was wondering that I got a 4 Bedroom not 6 ;) U will have a big Lock so enough space for ur stuff, also the own fridge was pretty good Kitchen are big enough, to cook for ur self Staff are friendly and helpful The Bar and Restaurant are very cheap for Vic area and also good quality

Hello and thanks for letting us know how we did. We are glad our facilities, location, cleanliness, food quality and storage made your stay enjoyable. We also offer many different types of rooms for different budgets, please don’t hesitate to inquiry about them. We hope to see you back in Victoria. Safe and happy travels.

real nice hostel. I had a good time there, but this always depends on the people. It is about 4km away from downtown Whistler so it depends what u do there. Nice lakes around for swimming.

I had a very pleasant stay here for a couple of nights. The hostel was clean and comfortable and the staff were super helpful with directions and recommendations. I was initially a little worried about noise but it turned out to not be a problem at all, despite the fact I'm a light sleeper. Overall, very happy with everything and would definitely return!

Hi there! It makes us happy that we could help with directions and recommendations, we are glad that you found us clean and quiet. We also offer earplugs at the front desk if you are a light sleeper. We will be happy to see you again when you come back. It was a pleasure to have hosted you. Safe and happy travels!

Decor slightly tired but clean and good for a couple of nights

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to review us online! Thanks for acknowledging our cleanliness and we hope you stay with us again! Safe and happy travels!

Really Nice atmosphere, free live music

Hello! We are glad you enjoyed our environment and cafe lounge events, please feel free to drop by anytime to enjoy more of our events and don’t forget to bring some friends too! Safe and happy travels!

we were not very satisfied with the accomodation. excpecially the bathrooms were not clean and furthermore had an awful smell. the room was hot and not beautiful. everything was a little bit run-down.

Thanks for your feedback. Our bathrooms are cleaned multiple times a day by our housekeeping staff, though just one guest using the bathroom can make it look messy. You can also use any one of the 6 bathrooms on each floor. All of our rooms have fans, and extra fans are available upon request, which we find is generally sufficient for Victoria’s cool summers. We employ a full time maintenance person to ensure our building isn’t run-down, but it is a historic building. Happy travels.

It was a lovely place, and the staff was super friendly and helpful! My only negative was it was loud and very hard to sleep at night. :( but that is out of your control. So it was lovely!!!

• 28th Jul 2014

Hello there! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we always try to do our best for guests such as yourself. We are sorry to hear the sound was a bit disturbing, we are around 24 hours a day and always happy to offer a room switch or even earplugs if you need it. Safe and happy travels!

This place is located by the homeless shelter. I kept hearing this bum outside my window just screaming and banging at a door across the street to be let back in. It seemed that he was kicked out of his place. Luckily, I had my ear buds to kind of blocked the sound. Overall, the space was really cramped for what I was really paying for. The staff there did their job, but there were some who were "off duty" that made me feel unwelcome at the hostel. At least my dorm did not have bed bugs.

The bathrooms were very dirty the whole time we stayed. It was quite disappointing. The staff did not clean it, they cleaned it on the afternoon the day we left.

• 25th Jul 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We are very surprised at your comments about our bathrooms, as our housekeeping staff clean all the bathrooms in the building three times a day. However, we are quite busy during the high season, and splashes from the shower can give some people the mistaken impression that our bathrooms are not clean. However, due to your review we are going to meet with our housekeeping supervisor to ensure that our high standards are continuing to be met. Safe travels.

Welcome was warm and friendly. Shared facilities and cafe looked good, though didn't use them for 1 night stay. In room facilities (private small double) was very basic. 6ft by 10ft, double bed, fridge and fan. Free wi-fi was good connection. Rooms and linens are tired and could've been cleaner, but I've stayed in much worse! Hostelworld 10% deposit not deducted, only realised in hindsight, still good value for Victoria. Overall was good, and I would stay here again.

Hello! We are happy you enjoyed our warm welcome, shared facilities, cafe and wifi. We replace our linen regularly but considering your comment we reviewed our procedures and increased the frequency of replacement. Many of our most popular rooms are quite small - to reflect our small prices! However, we have larger rooms available for only a few dollars more. Please contact us directly so we can sort out your deposit issue. Happy travels!

Overall a good experience and well-run hostel, but a ripoff at $80. Central location but on a rather dodgy block. Security would rate good or excellent if they had better provisions for locking bikes in the basement.

• 20th Jul 2014

Thanks for your feedback & compliments! Unfortunately, Victoria’s accommodation is quite expensive in July & August, as this is the only time there is significant demand. However, our prices are the lowest in town, and we do offer many options below $80. Our downtown location means that there are many colorful characters around - but Victoria’s streets are safe. We feel that we provide a rare service with our locked basement which has spots for 20 bikes to be securely locked up. Safe travels

I recently stayed at the Ocean Island Inn whilst on a 2-day trip from Vancouver. The location was great for my needs, close to town and near to the bus back to the ferry. I stayed in a private room as this was all that was available when booking. Comfortable nights sleep but walls were slightly thin and there was a young child in an adjacent room. Towels could be included in price rather than renting them for $1. Seemed a bit tight given price paid. Would stay again however.

Thanks for your review! We’re glad you liked our location; Victoria’s downtown is found just around the block. Don’t hesitate to call us next time to see if some other style rooms are available. Sorry for the inconvenience of the young child next door, next time please let us know if you have any noise concerns. Our rental for towels include exchanging it as many times as you need, so you can always have a fresh clean towel to use. Thank you for staying with us, hope to see you again!

the room was a tiny kitchen with a bed in it.It was stuffy ,hot,and not what we were told it would be .wWe felt we were mislead.

• 12th Jul 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Thanks for your review. We make great efforts to ensure that the photos and descriptions we use accurately portray our rooms to avoid disappointments such as yours, but considering your comments we will review our descriptions. We do have some very small rooms, which many guests prefer because of their very small prices. All of our rooms have fans to combat heat and stuffiness, and extra fans are available. Room upgrades are quick and easy and often cost only a few dollars more. Safe travels

Great storage for luggage and bikes at this hostel. It is a little far from the ferry terminal if you plan to move a lot of gear without a car.

Hello, we are happy our storage was useful for your gear. We are sorry if you had to move a long way to the ferry, luckily the buses in Victoria have space for bikes so you don’t have to travel a long way or in case you don’t have a car, the bus stop is just at the corner of the hostel! Please don’t hesitate to ask our friendly Front Desk for help with the bus timetable. We are glad you stayed with us. Safe and Happy travels.

Our room was on the western side and very hot, mattress was vinyl covered which made it hot

Thank you for your review, Our mattress do have a thin layer of vinyl, which is the best way to ensure that our beds are 100% clean and hygienic. However, we do also equip our beds with a quilted mattress cover to provide additional comfort and softness. We’re sorry to hear you found your room too warm; for those rare balmy summer nights we supply fans in all our rooms and additional fans are available from our 24/7 front desk staff as well. Safe and happy travels.

Rather cramped but great location and well-run and maintained. My room faced the west and was very hot. I ended up buying an extension cord, so I could put the small fan (provided) in the window to draw in the cool night air. Although they may not be standard in this part of the country, window screens (permanent or temp/pop-in) would help.

Thanks for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed our central location, and our well maintained and run hostel! During your stay Victoria had a rare heat-wave, but the fans we provide in each room are a great way to keep cool. We wish you had mentioned the extension cord issue to us while staying here, as we would have been happy to provide you with one, which we have now added to the room you stayed in. Windows in Victoria don’t have screens because of a lovely lack of bugs! Safe travels!

First time hostel stay... AMAZING.

• 4th Jul 2014

Hello! It’s a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us to such a great extent! We hope we have set a good standard for hostels everywhere and that your next stay is just as fulfilling, Happy and safe travels!

Really nice hostel, a little bit expensive i suppose but it's worth it, the rooms and beds are comfy, the atmosphere is good and it's located right near a bus station.

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to review us! We are thrilled to hear you like staying here, we are always trying our best to keep the atmosphere friendly and fun! Our main aim is to accommodate a variety of budget travelers and we are trying our best to keep this in mind; Ocean Island’s prices are very competitive for the area and offer the lowest budget accommodation rates you’ll find in Victoria! Safe and Happy travels.

Visited here with my teenage daughter, checking out a local college, and we had such a good time! We made it in time for canada day festivities and it was not a disappointment. Whale watched. Even bumped into a friend while eating in the pub, and I'm from Ontario!! We had a nice private room. I would love to go back again.

• 1st Jul 2014

Hello! We always enjoy the company of guests such as yourselves! We are very happy to welcome you and your daughter any time you decide to come back. Ocean Island makes it easy to enjoy all of Victoria’s festivities due to our convenient downtown location! A big hello to Ontario. Safe and Happy Travels.

what I liked about Ocean Island Inn: The staff was very helpful and Friendly. The Food and drinks were afforadble and tasty. The atmoshpere was friednly and very fun. The location was close to everything and a 15 min walk from the downtown harbour What I did not like: the kitchen could be cleaner- I saw a couple mices when I was down there one nigh

• 1st Jul 2014

Hi there,Regular visits from pest control ensures pests are always kept out, so it’s extremely rare that we have any issues. Rest assured, the issue that you noticed was dealt with right away! Our kitchen is cleaned 3x a day and we always make sure the kitchen is a clean and sanitary place to cook food. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay - from our friendly and helpful staff, to our tasty & affordable cafe, and even our location & friendly atmosphere! Thank you for reviewing us.

« first « Prev 1 2 3