Ocean Island Inn | Backpackers | Suites Reviews

791 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, BC, Victoria, Canada

This is my first time staying in a hostel, so I didn't really know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at how great it is and would most definitely stay here again!

• 26th Jul 2015

I stayed at the ocean island inn from 23-25th july. Me and my parents really enjoyed our stay. Pretty close to all sights. Everything was clean and the staff gave us really good recommendations. What else do you need for a city trip? I would definetely recommend the inn to my friends Cheers

• 23rd Jul 2015
  • Austria

Very nice hostel with a great kitchen and a bar/café as well. Having a fridge in your own room is pretty cool too! The staff was very friendly, the hostel is close to everything and the facilities include everything you could want in a hostel. I was supposed to stay only one night, but finally decided to stay three more nights and did not regret it!

Comfy beds, amazing and helpful staff, very clean and in a great spot!

Hey happy traveler! Thank you for the awesome review; we loved reading your happy comments. We hope you had a blast in Victoria and we hope to see your smiling face the next time you are in our beautiful city. Safe and happy travels!

I had an amazing stay at Ocean Island Inn. The atmosphere was amazing; proved to be a very conscious hostel. The staff was very nice and helpful, especially the gentleman whobwrks night shifts. Lots of information provided to tourists through ththe pamphlets at the frontvery clean rooms and washrooms. There is a kitchen accessible to anyone to use. They safely keep your luggage for you before check-in. They have 2 computers accessible to guests. Hostel is accessible by public transit.

• 13th Jul 2015

The hostel is just ok. My biggest gripe is that this hostel also rents out beds to longer term guests and so in my room of 6, at least 2-3 guests were practically living in the room. Things were spread everywhere and there was not much room to put my own belongings. The room also smelled stuffy. There isn't much of a common room unless you sit at the bar. But the beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were clean.

Hi there and thank you for the review! We are happy to hear you found the beds comfortable and bathrooms clean. Our housekeeping team is working hard at ensuring all dorms are clean and presentable and working with the long-term guests with storage solutions for their belongings. We encourage all guests to come see the front desk if they are not satisfied with the state of their room so we can speak with the other dorm members, or switch you to another room. Safe and happy travels!

The bedroom was noisy because the window was just front of a 4 ways road. I have not so much slept. otherwise, I met really nice people so that was fun.

• 11th Jul 2015

Hi there and thank you taking the time to leave us a review! We sorry to hear you found your room to be noisy from the street. We have many rooms towards the back of the building or on a higher floor and our front desk staff and always more then willing to facilitate room changes. We loved hearing that you met lots of fellow travelers. For us, that is the best part about this hostel. We hope you enjoyed Victoria and wish you many safe and happy travels!

Fantastic and creative little hotel. Friendly staff. Nice rooms. Good WiFi. Great Location! :D

• 10th Jul 2015

Hi there and thank you taking the to leave us a review! We appreciate your kind comments. Our staff work very hard at ensuring all guests that stay with us are comfortable and that they have everything they need, whether it be the WiFi password, an extra fan for the room, or directions around the city. We hope to see you again sometime in the very near future and wish you many safe and happy travels!

The hostel is ok. Good location not far from everywhere. The kitchen facilities are ok. Free computers.

Hi there and thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our central location, free computers and wifi, and our communal kitchen. We hope you got to do some exploring of Victoria during your time here and wish you many safe and happy travels!

This place is lush; great location, super quirky and colourful, lovely staff. The rooms were boiling hot and you don't get breakfast but that's the only bad stuff I can say. Full of interesting and diverse travellers, great bar and food, quiet at night. The bathrooms are spotless.

Hi there and thank you for leaving us a review! We loved reading about how much you enjoyed your stay. From the decor to the diverse travelers flowing through our doors, we definitely are a fun alternative to the typical hotel in downtown Victoria. We are sorry to hear you found your room to be hot. We had an usual heat wave this year but would have been happy to provide you wish additional fans for your room. Safe and happy travels!

Loved this hostel! Everyone was so great and friendly! There was lots of extra storage and laundry and there was also a cool bar. But we didn't stay long enough to actually use it unfortunately. I definitely will have to come back! The only downside I found was that the mattress was really uncomfortable because it was sort of plastic and the bed sheet kept falling off (I'm actually not sure if the bed sheet just wasn't fitted right).

Hey there and thank you for the review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed our many facilities such as guest storage, laundry and great cafe lounge. We are sorry to hear you found the bed to be uncomfortable with an awkward sheet. We go for medium firm, foam mattresses which most guests find to be very comfortable. Please do come back soon to try out cafe lounge and enjoy a local beer off tap or bite to eat cooked in-house. We are looking forward to it! Many safe and happy travels!

I had a good stay at the mixed dorm room for 2 nights.I sure appreciate the front desk staff helping me with the booking of Whale watching ticket. I had a great time being able to get from place to place.The place sure is an average one.There was a guy who stayed on the top bunk near mine.He sure was a creepy fellow.I didnt feel safe when He was around..He left his room keys on purpose & came knocking on the door.It was very weird....He turned on the lights when he came into the room late

Hi there and thank you for the review! We appreciate your time and were pleased to hear your kind comments about our front desk staff. We are sorry to hear you weren't very happy about your experience in the dorm. Should we have known about this situation, we would have been more than happy to move you to a different room and speak to the individual in question. We hope to see you again soon and wish you many safe and happy travels!

Overall it was fine. One boy didn't know who had the key to get my bag from downstairs so that was kind of awkward. Otherwise people were really nice and answered my questions.

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry about that moment of awkwardness with our bag storage. In a building this size it can difficult to track down those with the right keys however we are working on a system to help with key management. We loved hearing that you enjoyed the atmosphere provided by those in the hostel and hope you enjoyed Victoria too! Safe and happy travels!

We only ended up staying here for one night instead of 9 like we'd planned. When I first got in the room's floor was full of smashed crackers, and in a room for 6 people with 4 currently in it, there was only one empty locker. They know there's a problem with accommodating both long-term stays and short stays and should really do something about it. Also, no A/C, so the room was hot and stuffy, with a window open towards main street to bring in some cool air. Not a pleasant experience.

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to hear about your less than ideal stay with us and regret the events that occurred that evening. The state of the room was very unusual and the cause of that was asked to leave that next morning by management. We would have been more than happy to facilitate a room change or upgrade to a private room away from street side availability permitting. Again, our apologies and we wish you many safe and happy travels.

the only reason i said the location was poor and not excellent was because it was a decent walk from downtown, but at night the front is swarming with homeless people and it was scary walking as a single female to get into the door. Once i was inside i felt safe. That was my main concern about my trip was traveling alone. I always felt safe walking in the town but in front of the hostel was the times I felt most unsafe.

• 16th Jun 2015

Hi there and thank you for the review. We are sorry to hear you felt uncomfortable outside the hostels doors. Due to our downtown location, we are faced with some typical city issues, such as homelessness. Victoria is a very safe city however, and we have many security measures in place such as a 24 hour front desk, security cameras and gates, as well as a very knowledgeable, calm staff. We are happy to hear you felt safe inside the hostel doors and wish you many safe and happy travels.

Good hostel, good value for money. The kitchen was decent. Would stay here again.

Hi there! Thank you for the awesome review. We are so pleased to hear you had a good stay and would stay with us again. We hope to see you again in the very near future and wish you many safe and happy travels!

I enjoyed my stay very much. Thanks for being an affordable option and I appreciated the convenience of the amenities you offer.

• 10th Jun 2015

Hi there! Thank you oh so much for the great review. After reading your comments, we forwarded them to our staff so everyone could enjoy. We hope to see you again in the very near future and wish you many safe and happy future travels!

I enjoyed my stay. Having own room was great. Relaxed vibe and helpful staff. Nice mix of guests.

Hi there and thank you for the great review! We loved reading your comments about our friendly staff and wonderful guests. We hope you'll be back in Victoria again soon, please do come and visit! Safe and happy travels!

We booked in advance but when we arrived the booking had been entered for the previous night Fortunately they had an appropriate room

• 9th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to review us. We apologize for the room confusion upon check in. We appreciate your understanding and patience upon check in and are very happy a suitable resolution was achieved. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and wish you many safe and happy travels!

Great hostel in great location.

Hi there! Thank you for leaving us a review; we are happy to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed our central, downtown location. We hope to see you again soon and wish you many safe and happy travels!

« first « Prev 1 2 3