Ocean Island Inn | Backpackers | Suites Reviews

791 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, BC, Victoria, Canada

Overall it was fine. One boy didn't know who had the key to get my bag from downstairs so that was kind of awkward. Otherwise people were really nice and answered my questions.

the only reason i said the location was poor and not excellent was because it was a decent walk from downtown, but at night the front is swarming with homeless people and it was scary walking as a single female to get into the door. Once i was inside i felt safe. That was my main concern about my trip was traveling alone. I always felt safe walking in the town but in front of the hostel was the times I felt most unsafe.

• 16th Jun 2015

Good hostel, good value for money. The kitchen was decent. Would stay here again.

I enjoyed my stay very much. Thanks for being an affordable option and I appreciated the convenience of the amenities you offer.

• 10th Jun 2015

I enjoyed my stay. Having own room was great. Relaxed vibe and helpful staff. Nice mix of guests.

We booked in advance but when we arrived the booking had been entered for the previous night Fortunately they had an appropriate room

• 9th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to review us. We apologize for the room confusion upon check in. We appreciate your understanding and patience upon check in and are very happy a suitable resolution was achieved. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and wish you many safe and happy travels!

Great hostel in great location.

Overall I had a nice stay in Ocean Island Inn. It was not my favorite hostel though. I had a hard time sleeping (very hot + noise + light from outside since my roommates wanted the window open all night) and it's kind of too big to have the atmosphere I like. Also a bit expensive for a hostel, but I guess that's Victoria. Clean and safe though. Lots of bathrooms. Good facilities.

good place if you're bagpacking and want to keep it cheap, bar downstairs is pretty good.

Hey there! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our cafe lounge on the main floor! Our lounge is a great place to meet new travelers, try a pint of locally brewed beer, and snack on some delicious food. We hope your time in Victoria was a blast and wish you many safe and happy travels!

Lots of road noise from my window, but other than that, great for what I was looking for! The in-house cafe/bar is a real plus, and the kitchen facilities were impressive! It didn't concern me, but I think it should be stated that there is no elevator so some folks may have an issue with that. I really liked how there were I think 6 different bathroom/shower facilities on my floor, so not having to wait for them was great!

Sorry to say this but it was the creapiest hostel I have ever stayed in. People were living in the room...Laundry everywhere, the room was that crowed. Bathrooms were unclean...

• 29th May 2015

Hi there and thank you for writing us a review. We are very sorry to hear that your experience with us was less than ideal. While we do have some long-term guests, our housekeeping team is in every room daily to ensure a high standard of cleanliness and our bathrooms get cleaned at least three times a day- sometimes more. We have taken your comments seriously and will make sure our housekeeping team is continuing to keep our dorms and bathrooms up to standard. Safe and happy travels!

You get what you pay for. Our room was tiny and it was on a noisy street. It's in a good location, and perfect if you want to walk around in downtown Victoria. There is no parking and a million flights of stairs ... it's fine for staying the night but not really enjoyable to spend time in your room... it's a hostel :)

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our convenient, downtown location. It seems you were misinformed about parking, our apologies! We do have a parking lot at the back of the building, however it is first come first serve for a spot. We also don’t have an elevator, but there are many rooms on the first and second floors if you prefer not to walk up to the fourth floor. We hope you enjoyed Victoria and wish you many safe and happy travels!

Second time staying here and everything was great like my first time there a year earlier. Stayed in a single private room on the fourth floor which was bigger than the one I stayed in last year. The hostel has no elevators so just a heads up if you're bringing heavy luggage. Was not a problem for me because I usually carry a backpack. Request for a room on the ground floor if you have heavy luggage. The storage room's in the basement so you've gotta lug your stuff down if you arrive before 3pm.

• 24th May 2015
  • Singapore

I thought that the rooms were a bit small, but otherwise good. I think that the exits need to be marked better on the upper floors because you enter through one door and then spend a couple of minutes trying to find the door that you came through.

Hey there! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We have many different room types; some small, some large, but all at an affordable price. Often it is only a matter of a few dollars to upgrade to a larger room style- and our front desk is always willing to accommodate such requests! We have noted your request for better exit signage on the guest floors, thank you for pointing that out! Hope you enjoyed your time in Victoria and we wish you many safe and happy travels!

The staff were very helpful and courteous! The facility was neat and clean.

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review- we appreciate your kind comments! We hope you enjoyed your time in Victoria and got to experience the city to its fullest. Safe and happy travels!

My second time staying here and still convinced that this is one of the top hostels on the island. Staff is very helpful, rooms are great and the location is unbeatable. Stay here if you go to Victoria.

Hey happy traveler! Wow- thank you for such a great review. Reading reviews such as yours are definitely highlights of our days and we appreciate the time it takes to write them. We are so pleased to hear you enjoy our downtown location, comfortable rooms and friendly staff. Looking forward to your next visit, safe and happy travels!

Epic, just epic. Rooms are great, staff are awesome and location is fantastic.

Hi there! Thank you for the “epic” review! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed our cozy and comfortable rooms, friendly staff and convenient downtown location. Please come back and visit us again soon, safe and happy travels!

The room was very very warm!

Hi there, thank you for the review! We are sorry to hear that you found your room to be on the warmer side. Summer is approaching which means the temperatures in Victoria are on the rise, however to keep our guests cool, each of our rooms are equipped with powerful fans and we have many room types with large windows for optimal ventilation. Our friendly front desk is also always willing to provide extra fans. We hope you enjoyed your time in Victoria and wish you safe and happy travels!

Pretty decent hostel. It's handy having the parking space available.

Hi there! Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our hostel and found our parking lot to be convenient. We hope to see you next time you are in Victoria and wish you many future safe and happy travels.

I booked the only space available at the hostel the night before- a single private room. While very small it was comfortable, had a double bed, window, fridge, mirror, shelves and a heater. Overall a good space for the money. The hostel is in an ideal location for anyone arriving by or leaving on the Seattle Clipper.

Hey there! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review; we appreciate your kind comments. We are happy to hear you found our “Mini Double” style of room to be convenient with the appropriate amount of amenities. While these rooms are small, they are great for one night stopovers and are reflected by their affordable prices. We hope you enjoyed your quick visit to Victoria and hope to see you again. Safe and happy travels!