Ocean Island Inn | Backpackers | Suites Reviews

791 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, BC, Victoria, Canada

I recently stayed at the Ocean Island Inn whilst on a 2-day trip from Vancouver. The location was great for my needs, close to town and near to the bus back to the ferry. I stayed in a private room as this was all that was available when booking. Comfortable nights sleep but walls were slightly thin and there was a young child in an adjacent room. Towels could be included in price rather than renting them for $1. Seemed a bit tight given price paid. Would stay again however.

• 18th Jul 2014

Great storage for luggage and bikes at this hostel. It is a little far from the ferry terminal if you plan to move a lot of gear without a car.

Our room was on the western side and very hot, mattress was vinyl covered which made it hot

Thank you for your review, Our mattress do have a thin layer of vinyl, which is the best way to ensure that our beds are 100% clean and hygienic. However, we do also equip our beds with a quilted mattress cover to provide additional comfort and softness. We’re sorry to hear you found your room too warm; for those rare balmy summer nights we supply fans in all our rooms and additional fans are available from our 24/7 front desk staff as well. Safe and happy travels.

Rather cramped but great location and well-run and maintained. My room faced the west and was very hot. I ended up buying an extension cord, so I could put the small fan (provided) in the window to draw in the cool night air. Although they may not be standard in this part of the country, window screens (permanent or temp/pop-in) would help.

Thanks for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed our central location, and our well maintained and run hostel! During your stay Victoria had a rare heat-wave, but the fans we provide in each room are a great way to keep cool. We wish you had mentioned the extension cord issue to us while staying here, as we would have been happy to provide you with one, which we have now added to the room you stayed in. Windows in Victoria don’t have screens because of a lovely lack of bugs! Safe travels!

First time hostel stay... AMAZING.

• 4th Jul 2014

Really nice hostel, a little bit expensive i suppose but it's worth it, the rooms and beds are comfy, the atmosphere is good and it's located right near a bus station.

Visited here with my teenage daughter, checking out a local college, and we had such a good time! We made it in time for canada day festivities and it was not a disappointment. Whale watched. Even bumped into a friend while eating in the pub, and I'm from Ontario!! We had a nice private room. I would love to go back again.

• 1st Jul 2014

what I liked about Ocean Island Inn: The staff was very helpful and Friendly. The Food and drinks were afforadble and tasty. The atmoshpere was friednly and very fun. The location was close to everything and a 15 min walk from the downtown harbour What I did not like: the kitchen could be cleaner- I saw a couple mices when I was down there one nigh

• 1st Jul 2014

Hi there,Regular visits from pest control ensures pests are always kept out, so it’s extremely rare that we have any issues. Rest assured, the issue that you noticed was dealt with right away! Our kitchen is cleaned 3x a day and we always make sure the kitchen is a clean and sanitary place to cook food. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay - from our friendly and helpful staff, to our tasty & affordable cafe, and even our location & friendly atmosphere! Thank you for reviewing us.

Nice hostel in centre of Victoria. I liked the bar, common area and kitchen. However I did find my room rather small and cramped, plus the night I was there it was very hot which didn't help. I was only there one night so I can't comment on whether all the rooms were small. It was a nice enough hostel just limited space in my dorm.

A nice hostel, friendly staff, bar attached nice vibe. Recommend to anyone.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to write us such a great review! It’s a pleasure to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff and the atmosphere in our bar. Please keep us in mind for your next visit to Victoria - Safe and happy travels!

It was great. Yes, the rooms are small but for the price it was well worth it. Would definitely stay there again.

• 23rd Jun 2014

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It’s a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed our budget prices, and would love to have you come stay with us again. Though many of our rooms are small to reflect the small price, we do also have many larger-style rooms available for only a few dollars more! Thank you and happy travels.

There was to much light in the room to sleep. The seagulls made a lot of noice. The staff was friendly And helpfull, the location was good And the kitchen was ok.

Hello there, We’re sorry your night was less than ideal; we provide black-out blinds for all of our rooms with windows, which are usually rolled up at the top of the window frame - these blinds are perfect for ensuring a nice dark room to sleep in. For lighter sleepers, we provide complimentary ear plugs at the front desk. Its great to hear that you found our front desk friendly, and loved our ideal downtown location! Safe travels!

We had a private room with private bathroom which was fantastic. The accommodation was close to everything as we walked everywhere. The staff extremely helpful and nice, facilities were great. We would recommend this to all our friends and families.

Hello there and thank you for your review. We’re so pleased you recommend us to all friends and family! Great to know you enjoyed your private room with en-suite bathroom - those are some of our favourite rooms too. Thank you for your warm comments on our front desk staff, our facilities, and ideal downtown location. Looking forward to having you stay again some time, safe travels!

Pros: Good location. Small bar downstairs where you can get a reasonably cheap drink and feed. Cons: Rooms are a little cramped. Public access to common room and bar.

Hey there, Great to know you loved our location and our Cafe Lounge - we have some of the best dinner and drink deals in town! Our very small private rooms are matched by their very low prices; they’re ideal for travellers looking to save a few dollars on accommodation, but we do also have larger private rooms with more amenities, which are often only a few dollars more. We hope you come and visit our Lounge sometime soon! Safe travels.

The hostel is OK, toilet is clean. Bed is a bit shaky, few outlets in the room. I don't know why the room is so dirty. Maybe it is because my roommates left all kinds of stuffs - banana peels, lunch boxes, dirty clothes here and there. Wow, you know, a girl even slept in the room with her boyfriend sharing one bed! Another Canadian girl who is not staying in the room but seems to work for the hostel talked loudly in our room until almost 1 am... My stay in Victoria definitely sucks.

Our room was all right but we didn't have a curtain or anything to keep the morning light out. We were also on the top floor so it was quite hot. Other than that the hostel has a nice offer of food and tours. Nice place to stay.

Spotlessly clean, well done. Our simple double room was very small, and there was a lot of traffic noise, but the facilities and the staff were excellent.

Hello and thank you for reviewing us. Thank you for mentioning our clean facilities and all-star staff! We work hard to ensure that Ocean Island is a home-away-from-home for travellers. Our very inexpensive mini double is perfect for travellers looking to save a few dollars, but we also have larger rooms, and quieter rooms in the back of our building; it’s often only a few dollars more to upgrade. We’re glad you enjoyed yourselves, safe travels!

Great location and atmosphere. Decent sized room and lockers. The bar serves healthy, tasty alternatives to the usual fried pub-style food found in hostels and there was some decent live music playing the second night. The staff are friendly and helpful and had good local knowledge in addition to the very well-stocked local info pamphlets.

Hello there, Thanks for the review! It’s great to hear you enjoyed our location and atmosphere, as well as our fun Cafe Lounge - we work hard at providing inexpensive and delicious meals to backpackers and locals alike! We’re happy to know that you found our front desk friendly and knowledgeable, hope our staff helped you make the most out of your trip to Victoria. We’d love to have you stop in and enjoy the live music in our lounge sometime. Cheers!

Quiet place, staff were friendly and very helpful.

Hello there, Thank you for commenting on your stay with us. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, and found us friendly, quiet and helpful! Safe travels.

One of the best places I've ever stayed. Great people in a fun community environment. Highly recommended for travellers of all ages.

• 3rd Jun 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review! We hope to see you again someday. Safe and happy travels!

« first « Prev 1 2 3