Old City Hostel Reviews

Bestekar Osman Sokak,no :9 Divanyolu Cadeesi, Istanbul, Turkey

The staff, Deniz, was especially friendly and approachable when adviced for the attractions to visit. Hostel was also very clean and convenient in its location. Very highly recommended!

The private room is in the basement next to the bathroom and it does't have any air circulation nor natural light, thus making the room smelly and hummed. For the same price, you can find other places out of Sultanahmed area with sea view. I wouldn't recommend Old City Hostel to my friends.

Great experience! Really close to the city center and accessible to all relevant locations in Istanbul. Stayed in an 8 bed dorm with 1 bathroom, that was kinda tough, but do-able for only 2 days. Deniz is the manager and she was great fun. She speaks English well, and even gathered everyone together and brought us to "Hıdrellez" and traditional Turkish Spring festival. Just be aware that Turkish time means 1 hour after the scheduled time when meeting people -_-. Definitely recommend OldCity

Hey Jimmy, I also had great fun with you. Sorry about the Turkish timing but you must have learnt some Turkish culture :) - Deniz

Amazing hostel. Rifat and his staff were friendly, helpful and very hospitable. Everything you would want for a place to base yourself from. Clean rooms, beds made every day, breakfast part of price, not too noisy as its not a party hostel, very close to tourist attractions. 8 of us stayed 3 nights and everyone commented that they enjoyed staying there. Pity about the roof terrace being closed as that would have made it extra special. Would recommend to anyone!!

• 3rd May 2013
  • South Africa

Hey Marc, thank you for the review. See you again in Istanbul. Deniz

A small hostel with plenty of character in a great location. No common room, but not really necessary. Staff were very helpful and meals and drinks were reasonably priced.

I am travelling alone and I stayed in this hostel 5 nights. I would definitely recommend it because it's clean, very central (in the turistic area) and the staff makes a lot of efforts to make you comfortable. The owner of the hostel is helped by his two sons, which are really kind and helpful, plus a (just hired) girl. I talked quite a lot with them and they did also went out with us a couple of nights, I truly appreciated. Just one tip: enhance the breakfast :)

• 19th Apr 2013

Little cozy hostel, perfect value for money! Not so good for parties, though...

The staff were very friendly. One problem we had was that we organised an airport transfer through the hostel but their was no-one there to pick us up upon arrival. Once we eventually got to the hostel non-one seemed to know anything about who was supposed to pick us up. We also booked a mixed dorm as I was travelling with my husband. But they put us into a female dorm and i was made to ask permission from the other ladies in the dorm for my husband to spend the night.

• 2nd Apr 2013
  • South Africa

They obviously do not change sheets between guests!

• 28th Mar 2013

The hostel itself has a high level, it's cleaned and new, the services are ok and the people working there polite and kind. Unofrtunately the organization is not the best, and they often make mistakes with reservations and it causes annoyances to customers; plus, the phone number on the hostelworld website was wrong, so you'd better check the phone number and your reservation calling in advance

Not only is this hostel located right across the Street from the Blue Mosque and the Aya Sofia, the staff was exceptional. The staff Always went out of their way to make sure their guests had fun and really brought the guests together so that the hostel felt more like an extended family instead of just a collection of travellors. I really enjoyed my time and would recommend this hostel to anyone.

Just be forwarned-they don't have all of the facilities that they claim to. If you're not a finicky traveler though you can't beat the location! Be ready to head away from the Sultanahmet area so you don't get nickled and dimed when you buy food and you'll be in great shape!

Great place! The staff was very helpful and friendly. Great location.. except for the restaurant people on the street outside.

• 25th Mar 2013

Best hostel I've ever stayed in! The staff were the friendliest, which created such a nice environment for all the travelers. It's a cosy place and I will recommend it to everyone! Hope I can make it back soon as well :)

• 24th Mar 2013

This hostel was in a fantastic location and the staff member was great- he was there from when you got up to well after you went to bed- and was chatty and helpful. The rooms where pretty small and we shared with 6 other girls who no respect for hostel living. There were constant mix up with bed and you often found people sleeping in your bunk and the bathroom was constantly covered in hair.

awesome manager and workers at thıs hostel. Attracts a lot of great people here!

• 17th Mar 2013

The staff at the Old City Hostel are super friendly and helpful, they made my stay in a rainy, cold Istanbul a wonderful experience.

Thank you Şakir, thank you all Oldcity staff! This travel was short but amazing! We really had a good time and appreciated the stay, please keep doing your best to make the people to love Istanbul as much as we did. :)

The owner(?) was super nice, the room and bathrooms were clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. Location is perfect, just 5 min walk from the Blue mosque and Hagia Sofia. I would recommend this!

• 14th Mar 2013
  • Finland

Great hostel! Location is at the center of all historic sites. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and the staff are the friendliest people. Really made us feel welcome. The place will be even better when their terrace bar opens up.