Old Town Alur Hostel Reviews

Lai 20 Tallinn, Tallinn, Estonia

Everything you want from a backpackers' hostel: great facilities, amazing location, fast wifi, helpful staff and friendly atmosphere

Please clean bathrooms more often....lots of noisy guests at night......excellent location in old town

Decent location (10 min walk to old town), beds ok (not the most comfortable, had a back ache from them), lockers provided, sufficient toilets and showers, kitchen facilities good (note: no oven), staff and cleaners helpful but emo/goth receptionist was very abrupt if not rude at times. Seemed like she found attending to guests a nuisance, preferring to scribble on her notepad instead.

Nice hostel, clean rooms and bathrooms, well located (in the very center of Tallinn), very convenient. I would definitely recommend.

Right when i got there, they made me pay. But even though I had made a reservation weeks before my trip, when i got there they didn-t have the bed i had reserved, and they already had my money. After a long while they decided to pass me to a private room that looked more like a closet. It was literally only the bed. No space between the bed and the walls. Also, it was very dirty. That room is not for guests so apparently they never clean it. Common room was too small and crowded with teenagers

We are sorry regarding your booking circumstances, However we accept all age groups as we want each person to have an experience of cheap accommodation.

Limited common-areas and not too good cleaning. Spotty wifi that doesnt work in large sections of the building (it works in the common areas). But: Good value for the money and friendly, but rather busy, staff. I might go again.

Thank you for your review. We are currently looking at wifi connection issues you mention and sorry it was spotty at the time of your stay.

I only stayed for one night. Many beds are in the room. Quite cramped. But there are 2 sofas you can sit in the room. I dont like party hostel with many young crazy party people. Some people were making noise even late in the night/ keeping door opened to come in and out/ finding their stuffs in their backpacks/ screaming.... It was quite cold in the room. Toilets and showers were perfect.

Thank you for the positive review.

The hostel itself was very nice with spacious rooms, secure (though small) lockers, and clean facilities. The staff were also continually friendly and helpful. The presence of a large group of teens(?) on some sort of summer camp did however damage the atmosphere somewhat as they were very noisy and completely filled the common room/hallways/stairways at many times of the day. Either larger common spaces, or smaller groups needed.

It was a bit loud the night we stayed, but otherwise no complaints!

• 19th Jul 2015

This hostel is a very affordable option at a great central location in Tallinn. I gave low scores on "Security" and "Atmosphere". Security: During our first day one of us found someone else in one of the beds in our private room. The staff kicked him out and told me this person had failed to checkout and return the keys, but IMO this should have been done before it became an issue. Atmosphere: there was a video game tournament running overnight so it was difficult to sleep due to the noise.

Thank you for your honest review, we are aware of that situation with your security, and we hold that up-most among other things in our hostel, we do inform guest that fail to check out on time unless they can not be found in the property however have step this up to prevent this from happening again.

We were very annoyed because you told us. We had an appointment with the Old Town Alur Hostel ta 9 o'clock a.m. but the rooms week only available ah 14. The problem was They had no place to store put big rucksacks and we coule''tu visit the city with them.. Next time maybe hostelworld.com could enter into an agreement with the Alur hostel to avoid creating troubles for everybody :)

• 13th Jul 2015
  • Belgium

The staff were very jovial, helpful and personable, and made my stay all the better. The room was spacious and clean and the location of the hostel is top notch, slap bang in the middle of old town. One thing to note is that this isn't a quiet, 'cosy' hostel (which I read on other reviews). It was buzzing with people inside and on the street outside and felt busy, even on a Sunday night. Not a complaint but something to consider.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will take your considerations mentioned and try to apply them to the hostel to make it more comfortable and cosy.

We travelled in a group of four and were quite pleased with our visit. Great location, nice staff. Toilets and showers were nicer upstairs. Could have been a bit cleaner and silent in the middle of the night but still acceptable. Surely worth of the money.

I needed emergency accommodation as had been locked out of my apartment which meant I did not have my passport with which was in the apartment. Receptionist said my story was dodgy despite having txt evidence of my difficulties (my AirBnB host was based in Australia which made sorting out a spare key difficult) . So to be to,d my story was odgy was not appreciated. This was apparently to keep the quality of guests in mind - who used the room were noisy using the bed rooms for skyping etc

• 7th Jul 2015
  • New Zealand

Thank you for your feedback about your stay. We have an obligation to maintain a safe and secure property for all of our guest and their belongings. If a staff member questions a situation it is to maintain the security which each and every guest expects.

Lovely place to begin my Bus About tour from. Just wish I could have stayed in Tallinn longer.

Very local friendly staff.... a cosy hostel for a cosy medieval town , smack in the middle of old town with lots of great tips from the staff about where to go and what to do in Tallinn.

Simply awesome place to stay. The room and bed is clean and comfortable in a very historical style building. Staffs are friendly and funny. Highly recommend.

Very good. And helpful

Stayed at Alur for 2.5 weeks and loved it. The staff are definitely the highlight. They are friendly, nice, and make Alur feel like your home away from how. Very clean and secure, and the rooms are wide open concept with comfortable beds. Great value at this hostel, I would highly recommend!

We are very pleased to have you stay with us and look forward to the next time.