Oldtown Hostel Otter

Fabulous 133 Total Reviews
Fabulous 133 Total Reviews

4.9

No one was at the hostel to let us in upon arrival, thus making us wait 1.5hours. Reception was not friendly or helpful. Location was nice, but that was about it. Dirtiest & least accommodating hostel we stayed in after 8 different countries. The free breakfast was awful as well. Fine if you don't plan to spend any time at the hostel.

we are in the hostel the whole day! Before 3 we need to check the rooms and sometimes to the toilet, but that is max. 5 minutes. but you are supposed to ring the bell, so we know you are waiting at the entrance. there is a upgrade for 7 CHF for a real good breakfast. you can't expect more for this Price in Switzerland. this is just a regular hostel breakfast. and our hostel is clean! the rooms are small but although if you pay a bit more you have a spacious room.

6.0

Originally arrived at 3 o'clock and nobody was there to let me in. Had to find a local cafe to sit and wait for the bar downstairs to open so I could check in. Location was fairly nice. They do have their own locks for the locks which is nice for those who forget to bring one. They have locks to the individual doors. Overall, not the best but not the worst.

we are everyday in the reception waiting for you guys! sometimes to the toilet or room control, but thats away for max. 5 minutes. just Keep ringing the bell at the entrance, so we can let you in

• Portugal, Female, 25-30
6.6

The reception guys that did my check in and check out were super nice however, the entire hostel in itself is not fantastic. I understand that Zurich is quite expensive and considering other hotels (and if you want to save money) this might be an option, but be prepared for really small rooms, not that fantastically cleaned, and to share 1 toilet and 1 shower with an entire floor (I'm not sure how many people in each floor) It was ok considering the cost of staying in Zurich but still...

• Australia, Female, 18-24
6.9

Breakfast was included, consisted of toast with various spreads, juice/tea/coffee and cereal. It advertised you could leave your bag before check in, yet no one answered when I pressed the button nor was anyone in the cafe. I sneaked in with someone with a card and saw there was staff (young brown haired lady) sitting in reception who appeared to be ignoring my buzzing to get in. She was also rude when I asked to leave my bag so I wasn't impressed. Showers don't have doors, only curtains.

sorry, if the staff was rude. that's not the way they should be! usually we are around only we have to go to toilet sometimes or check the rooms, so nobody is at the desk for a couple of minutes. but we are finding a solution for that.

• South Korea, Female, 25-30
8.0

It is quite clean place but shower room is not divided womens' and mans' I always locked the door and took a shower:( Location was good. Just one stop from the HB! But they have just microwave not stove.

yes, of course you have to lock the room, when you take a shower!

• India, Female, 25-30
12th Apr 2017
6.6

The rooms are ok and tiny. The bedding cover was torn and looked dirty. I was sharing a mixed dorm room and has common WC and bathroom which was shared by the entire floor! So just 1 WC and 2 bathrooms (which does not have doors, you just have curtains! And there are no separate bathrooms for Males and Females) Overall for 1 night stay it was bearable.

you can lock the shower door! and you can use the toilet and showers on the other floors as well. One room in each floor has a own toilet, so there are 2 rooms sharing one toilet!

• kaitlynfreire225
  • USA, Mixed Group, 25-30
11th Apr 2017
8.0

It is what it is. Cheap place to stay in Zurich, which is hard to find. If you have a few bucks to spare, I'd go with an airbnb instead. Close enough to train, the hostel is downtown. Rooms were cramped, not enough bathrooms/showers, needed to wait to get ready in the AM. They provide a simple breakfast, but the kitchen is so cramped there were lines for the toaster, lines to clean your plate, line to sit.

• Portugal, Female, 31-40
8th Apr 2017
6.3

The staff from the bar (the ones you have to talk if no one is at the reception) are rude. The room I stayed was very noisy during the whole night. But the location is very good.

• Netherlands, Female, 25-30
6th Apr 2017

Good value for money, everything was well organized upon arrival. Quite basic, but that was to be expected considering the price.

3rd Apr 2017

Oldtown Otter Hostel is conveniently located walking distance from the train station and is surrounded by different shops, restaurants, historical sites. The rooms each have a key card to enter, an assigned medium locker (it wasn't big enough to put my suitcase in, but my backpack fight in easily), individual lights at each bunk and in the room I was in, a private toilet and sink. It was clean, provided a simple, but decent breakfast, and the staff were great.