Oleander Hostel Reviews

Szep u. 5, Budapest, Hungary

The bathroom door doesn't lock. That was the biggest annoyance, especially as there is only one bathroom between so many people. The toilet door does, and it was fairly clean, but the bathroom was the issue. The hostel itself was nice and the rooms were good for the money. The location is perfect, so close to everything. We barely needed to take the tram or underground anywhere.

This hostel while a good price in a good location isn't worth it. The hostel is small and lacks cleanliness. It was dirty and the room was tiny with 6 beds literally right smack dab next to each other. It was fine for the one night because I literally just slept there (2:00am to 9:00am). I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Thank you for your comment. You complain because the hostel is small. If you read our description online is the first thing we mention, " the hostel is small". If you don't like small hostels why you book it? Or maybe you book it without reading the description?

simply loved it, truly madly deeply recommend to all to stay there

We understand 10 euro policy for personal keys but it should be possible to give money in other currencies, not only euros or forints because 8 of my friends took from bank forints for that one day and needed to give all for key deposit, make it possible to leave other currency or something else. Problem is that we didn't have any more money and needed to find closest exchange office or atm and change money on bad exchange rates.

Thank you for your comment. We do accept the deposit in different currencies. Not only euro or HUF. Maybe you misunderstood or didn't ask to the receptionist.

They could solve my problem so fast...Thanks a lot!!

Very cheap hostel, but the management seems not to understand that a place with people passing means cleaning everyday. Dust, cobwebs, dirty, surfaces in the kitchen, toilet and rooms. Shaky chairs and table. When was the last time those floors and matresses saw a vacuum cleaner and a mop. Peeling table cloth, dirty and smelly cupboards, food articles offered out of packagins, stoves unfunctional, just one electric camp stove to prepare food, very dirty china holder. Some repairs needed too! Ew!

There's no breakfast, no towels free and only ONE bathroom for all guests.

definitely the hostel to stay when in Budapest. nice location, nice times there, nice staff!

• 28th Jan 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

This hostel is great value for money, great location and the owner is very helpfull.

Although I just stayed for one night in my short trip to another Hungarian town, I really enjoyed staying at Oleander's, and thanks to the tips given by them, I could make the most of my visit in Budapest. I hope to come back.

• 11th Dec 2013
  • Argentina

nice guy at the recption

Very pleasant stay. Relation price/quality is great! This is a small and cozy hostel with an amazing location, walking distance from everywhere. Is very near to the party district with all those great ruin bars. I found this hostel very clean and the staff very helpful going out of their way to answer any question I had :-) I definitely recommend staying here.

• 25th Nov 2013

Should have at least clean sheets. And the bathroom a bit more clean.

Bedsheets are replaced for clean ones after check outs and the bathroom is cleaned several times per day. It's sad that you didn't mention the positive things your friends told us when leaving the hostel such as having a great stay, that they liked the coziness and all the advices from the staff about sight seeing and questions in general and looking forward to come back to the hostel in short time.

I had an extra bed of the room, so poor...

The hostel is very good, very close to downtown and the receptionists were very helpful advising me to visit, where to party. All perfect, recommended.