Oliver St. John Gogarty Reviews

18-21 Anglesea Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

Each dorm room only had one key, for the entire room. As we were not the first group, our room buddies simply left the door ajar. More keys needed!

Only one key per room is really inconvenient and a security risk because you have to leave the door open so people can get in at night.

This hostel is for those who want to go and party in Temple bar. Dublin is a very easy city to find your way around I would suggest getting something a little further away from the main party area to keep the noise down. There's also only 1 key per room which obviously is a problem. Lots of door knocking and locked out people.

• 10th Apr 2014

Pretty good hostel overall, but one thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the fact that there was only ONE key for the entire room (full of 10). Albeit, the key is kept at the front desk if no one is in the room, but this was annoying when I wanted to go to sleep and there was knocking on the door every two hours to let someone in. Good breakfast though :)

Bril place, excellent location.

Combination Hostel - Temple Bar is great. Unfortunately the prices at the pubs in temple bar are ridiculous high. This can have an influance on the popularity of temple bar and as a consequence on your succes. I could be wrong.

• 9th Apr 2014
  • Belgium

The location is perfect! We stayed during the week and the atmosphere in the pubs all around the hostel was crazy. That's too bad the hostel isn't that clean because it's the only bad thing about it. The room wasn't perfectly clean when we checked in and the for the breakfast cups, knives and spoons were sometimes not clean at all…

• 7th Apr 2014

Great hostel with a great restaurant and pub just next to it. Walking distance to all major attractions.

One key for the entire room of 12 people was ridiculous. Thank God for the masterkey at reception, other than that you can be easily woken up by your roommates in the middle of the night. Breakfast was correct, location is a must.

It was awful. The location is excellent, and the pub of the hostel was also good (very expensive, but in the whole Ireland everything is really expensive). But the hostel was dirty, smelt like damp, and every room had just one key. So, when you want to go to your room at 1 am, you must wake up other people and they must open the door. One night at 4 am, when we all were asleep, 3 guys entered to our room (I don't know how) and began to shout, insult us and shake our beds. Really a bad experience

"A Key of room" is not a good system.

Good place to stay during the week - definitely no place to sleep during the weekend. Wake up calls from drunk guests at 4 or 5 a.m. are the rule.

• 1st Apr 2014

Perfectly located at the temple bar. Voucher for a free drink at St. Gogartys Pub. Friendly staff, actually all you need for a short stay. But notice, the music from the pubs nex to the hostel will keep you awake until 2 or 3 am...

• 29th Mar 2014

Very annoying that they only have one key per room so you have to knock to get let in your room if someone else is back. That meant for my room that the room was left unlocked the whole night b/c the person with the key did not want to have to deal with getting up during the night. Other than that, breakfast was pretty good with fresh fruit and warm drinks.

This place was disgusting. Thankfully, I wasn't planning on sleeping here- I had 8 hours in between leaving a tour and catching a flight so I booked it as a cheap place to keep my luggage and use the wifi. The bed I was assigned had not been cleaned since the previous person left- it was covered in crumbs and a dirty towel. I had hoped to take a shower but the bathroom was just as bad. It looked like someone had cut their hair and left it everywhere. At least the wifi was good

Very big!!! PERFECT LOCATION!!!! a lot of facilities included!!! GRAT!!!

DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WISH TO SLEEP BEFORE 4AM!!!! I brought my boyfriend here on a surprise birthday trip and thought Temple Bar would be buzzing and lovely to stay. I was embarrassed by this hostel. We were on the 1st floor. You could hear LOUD music and people screaming outside until 4am. I am not a light sleeper at all but even I couldn't sleep (even after a few pints myself). I feel bad as this hostel is otherwise lovely but it completely ruined our trip that we were so knackered!

Really enjoyed my stay at the hostel. The only thing which wasn't so good was the cleanliness of the bathroom (we had a 2 persons room with private bathroom). There were hairs everywhere. Also the bed was very hard, I could feel the iron inside or underneath the matras. Staff was very kind except for one woman. She was rude to us when we didn't had the card of the hostel to get our key.

• 20th Mar 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in your hostel, the staff was really nice, as was the atmosphere. The only thing that was not perfect: the "one-key policy", maybe it would be good to advise people to just let the door open if someone is in the room anyway.

• 20th Mar 2014
  • Austria

The room was very clean, but the bathroom was dirty and very old. I enjoyed the breakfast every morning, as well. The staff was really nice and helpful.

• 19th Mar 2014