Oliver St. John Gogarty Reviews

18-21 Anglesea Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

Front desk staff nice and competent. The woman cleaning cold and brusque. If you don't want to be grossed out by filth swept into the hallway, check in after 4pm. The bathroom in the room nice and clean.The bed linens new and fresh. It is quite noisy, as there is a bar and pub directly next to the hostel. Blinds had been knocked down and stored in closet, so it was practically daylight level of light from streetlights. Great place to crash after partying all night in Temple Bar District.

• 14th Dec 2014

The shared bathroom should held more tidy. the waste box should drained daily and the shower cabin cleaned also daily to avoid mold and athlete's foot to other visitors.

• 9th Dec 2014

Exactly as advertised. Staff very friendly & efficient. Booking, checkin, stay& checkout all problem free. Have stayed several times before & would not hesitate to stay again.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Scotland
  • Couple, 41+

Fairly average as a hostel in general - pretty cheap and cheerful, but the location is so good that I would stay here again if I went back to Dublin. You get a free drink and free breakfast however I missed both of these so can't really comment. It was really cold in Dublin when I visited so was worried about the hostel being cold in the night but actually it was the opposite problem - the room was incredibly hot to the point where it was uncomfortable! Overall good value for money I thought.

• 5th Dec 2014

Beds comfy, rooms warm, good breakfast and friendly and helpful staff. However pity about only having one key for an 10 bed dorm - we had to wake someone up at 2.30am to get in as the door was locked and the key wasn't at reception and the free drink was only of use if you checked in before 6pm.

Great and cheap!

• 28th Nov 2014
  • Belgium

Clean basic room with everything we needed, we would stay again, thanks!

• 26th Nov 2014

Stayed here on a busy Saturday night in Dublin! Felt the hostel was very cramped but served as it was needed. Noise at night was quite loud but quickly grew accustomed to it in a few minutes. Breakfast was basic but good. Liked the idea of the free glass of guinness in the pub! The WiFi password didn't seem to work and reception staff I dealt with weren't that nice or helpful. Roommates were arrogantly drunk when they banged the door down at 4 in the morning. Would recommend anyway

• 22nd Nov 2014

Stayed here on numerous occasions, always enjoy my stay, the atmosphere is great, and everything is relaxed easy and quick. Would recommend for anyone looking for a quick nights stay in Dublin, perfect for gigs :)

• 22nd Nov 2014

Staff is rude, the rooms are full of dust, the weekend is full of people disreputable and there are no controls. Not recommended

We are repeat visitors and will continue to be. Love Olivers!

Overall I had a great stay. The hostel had a great atmosphere, was fairly clean and had all your basic facilities, free wifi, common room etc. And you get a free basic breakfast which was a great addition. The bar attached to the hostel was really good, stereotypical irish pub with a mixed crowd and great atmosphere! The only issue was theres only one key per room not per party. People were told to leave this at reception but often forgot leaving people locked out and having to wake others up.

• 21st Nov 2014

Room 8 really dirty. Only one shower for 12 bed. Nobody clean the bathroom during 4 days (my stay) and no shower available in another part of the backpackers. Only 1 key is ridiculous and dangerous : Door open during the day, and the night so everybody can enter in the bedroom. if we close, we stay at the door if we want to come back the night. Bad experience.

• 21st Nov 2014

we enjoyed staying there. Obviously the location is perfect. Everything is in walking distance. Our two bed private dorm had one bunk bed and was small, but it was just enough space for two. You really don't need much more if you are in the city all day and just need a place to sleep. The bathroom was ok. It was pretty clean for a hostel and the shower worked just fine. I would definitely recommend this hostel

• 15th Nov 2014

This is the best hotel I've stayed at, and there have been a few in a number of cities. Great welcome, spotless room, respectful roommates, powerpoints for phones and laptop, no hassle left luggage, welcome drink in great bar, fruit toast and cereal breakfast, and in the lively Temple Bar area of Dublin. I have paid more in Dublin for the breakfast than I paid for the night.

• 4th Nov 2014

No facility to leave your luggage at check out. Our flight wasn't until the evening, reception refused to take our bags, he said he had to keep space for guests arriving. Shouldn't it be first come first served? He also wasn't polite when he told us this so after an average stay this wasn't how it should have ended. The hostel is only ok. We had a private 4 person room, it was tiny. the walls are extremely thin so heard lots of other guests, even just talking in their rooms. Great location.

• 1st Nov 2014

It was a great place to stay, I have no complaints. It was comfortable and staff were friendly. I'd definitely recommend it.

• 29th Oct 2014

The place is super cool, right in the heart of Temple Bar. But not a good place to go alone, the common areas do not facilitate contact, and there are no activities. The pub under has more older people. If you want to meet people around 20s you have to go to other bars or hostels. Also at night and covering staff´s break there was a guy that for everything answered me "i don´t know", I hurt my head because the heating was under the bed and asked for ice "i don´t have", and did nothing.

• 29th Oct 2014

Pretty much meh. Great value (for the hostel itself), great location, but that is where the great stops, and it becomes pretty nondescript. Would stay again for the absolute convenience and value, though.

This hostel is great with the exception of the people who stay there

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7