Oliver St. John Gogarty Reviews

18-21 Anglesea Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

Very nice stay at Gogarty. Don't hesitate to book. ;) It was very calm and the breakfast is full.

The location of this hostel is perfect since it is at the heart of Temple Bar! However there are a few flaws: we couldn't open the window in our room and it was so hot inside that we couldn't sleep very well; the pub is just under the hostel there is much noise at nights (until 4am on Saturday); there's only one key per room so you have to deal with that with your roommates!

• 23rd Jul 2014

We needed to keep the window open to help cool down the room so heard all the noise from pub music, partiers and street cleaners.Bring good earplugs!! Also, pick up your free CD/ DVD when you check in cuz same as the one from they sell in pub downstairs. I was a bit concerned when the door from the hostel's dining room was open directly to the pub next door which means that anyone from the pub could just merrily walk into the hostel until the dining room was locked about 11pm (listed time 8pm)

• 22nd Jul 2014

Really cool place! I only stayed one night but the location was perfect, the staff ver y helpful and nice (they even stored my bags the whole day for free), and the breakfast so complete. I would definetely repeat if I go back to Dublin.

• 22nd Jul 2014
  • Spain

The rooms are very confortable and they were really clean. The fact that we shared the bathroom with the people of our own room, was a little unconfortable because we always needed to wait a lot to used it, and it stayed kind of dirty sometimes. Are doorknob was also not working very well, but the people from the hostel help us fix it. So make sure your room is really locked before you go out. The location is very good, right next to all the restarants, bars, main streets and atractions.

The location is both fantastic and bad. It's in the middle of Temple bar, making it very central, but also very noisy at night. People were screaming and singing outside every night. The rooms were also too hot, making it hard to sleep. Each room has also only got ONE key, which is madness. Every night people had to knock on the door to get into the dorm, waking everyone up. And if no-one was in the room but had left with the key you had to find them. Why WHY aren't there more keys to the rooms?

We booked for 4 nights 2 beds in the 4 bed Dorm and checked out after the 1st night. We stayed in many Hostels around the world but never had to deal with things like just 1 key per Room or that the staff lets an old guy, totally drunk, with no luggage, into the dorm at 4 in the night (behaving like no other hostel I know would accept). After complaining, staff didn't even bothered to check the room. Sayed that, the Pub downstairs is really loud until 3am. There are much better places to stay.

One key per room??? Doesn't make any sense. Means anyone can walk up and ask for the key and get access to the room. When you ask for the key at reception and they don't have it they expect you to knock on the door and get someone to open it for you. Try doing that in the middle of the night. On the flip side you have people knocking on the door in the middle of the night waking you up. How about keys for everyone and if they get lost people pay to get them replaced which is the system 99% use.

The beds are quite short, people taller than 180cm can't strech their legs.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Estonia

Paul on reception was fab! Very helpful.

• 18th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

Awesome location and the room was all right, only thing that bothered me was the fact that there was only one key per room. In the afternoon i had to wait to get into the dorm because the girl who was there was in the shower, and in the night, when i came back from a pubcrawl at 2 am, i had to knock at the door for several minutes until someone woke up and let me in

Only one room key per room so all rooms were pretty much left open during the night to allow guests access without waking up anyone else. Toilet/shower area was not the cleanest place I've ever seen and the kitchen area closes really early. I just don't understand their room key situation. Peculiar.

Absolutely fantastic....planning my next trip already!!!

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Northern Ireland

I was in a room with 9 others and there was only one key for the room, so we kept having to disturb one another to get into the room or leave the door open. The facilities were ok, didn't see many people using them - like the dining room or common room. They no longer have laundry service, but the staff was nice enough to let me know of places close by. Location is the best thing about this hostel, as it's right in Temple Bar but surprisingly, the noise at night was very minimal.

location in the party area so can be noisy. i stayed in a 12 bed mixed dorm, which got vey stuffy with lots of loud party goers coming in at all hours making a lot of noise. only one shower for the dorm room tho there are a few other showers if you can be bothered to find them! one night i was there a dunk young man threw up all over the bathroom and the staff would clean it so we could not use the bathroom for the next day!

A big problem for me is the only key for a four people room! we were awaked all the night!

• 11th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

This hostel is poorly run. They overbooked the room and the staff was very unhelpful. The security was very poor... Anyone could come in at any time and the mixed dorms remained open all night. The bathrooms were very dirty. Overall, we would never stay there again.

I was very disappointed on my last evening, i returned to the room to find that there had been a party going on, the was clothes, beer can & bottles, spirit bottles all over, the bathroom was a disgrace, and the sink was full of sick, i went downstairs to complain and was just told there was nothing that they could do, i tried to explain that these people would be back through the night and that the party would go on, i was told that it would not, not only did it carry on, but for a hours.

I stayed in a mixed 12 bed room. One of the beds was missing the cage below to securely store your luggage and this caused the people who arrived earlier to store their luggage in cages under different beds. Other than this and a few beds being taken, everything was great. Was pretty loud on July 4th but that didn't bother me much.

Only big problem was with the key situation. It's a pain in the butt only having one key per room, not mention a possible security problem.