Oliver St. John Gogarty Reviews

18-21 Anglesea Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

The low value for "Security" comes from a group of drunken people that tried to bash in the door of the adjacent room with a fire extinguisher in the middle of the night. It was solved relatively quickly, but I still do not know how they came into the hostel like that. Maybe they were guests - in this case, my judgement of the security is wrong.

• 27th Oct 2014

Had not realised that by booking a four bed room and for one night there was only three of our party in that you would put another person in,especially a man,I didn't know who to feel sorrier for us three hen do revellers or the man sharing with us,.The one key system per room is very difficult for two separate parties as we had to knock on the door to wake our "man"late "at night to let us in

• 24th Oct 2014

Great location and staff, really bad key system and lockers.

• 23rd Oct 2014
  • Argentina

One of the worst hostels I've stayed at.. When we arrived the room was empty, our beds were made but all other beds were left dirty, the floor had not been cleaned and the bin was full and smelling bad. The blind, the light and the heating were all not working. They fixed the light but we had to spend 2 nights in late October freezing with no heating. They tried but weren't able to provide extra blankets or heating. The flush broke on the last day and flooded the bathroom floor.

Weekend rate is pricey, but the weekday rate is great for the location.

all my money was taken from my debit card for the night BEFORE i arrived. Not just the deposit. There was NO key for a 10 bed dorm! the tv had no instructions and i couldn't get it to work.

decent place, not much opportunity to interact with other travellers but if that's not your thing then that's fine.

It is stupid how there is only one key for one room so if someone hasn't put it at the desk then people have to keep getting up all night to let people in, surely it isn't that hard to make multiple key cards. Otherwise the hostel was clean, staff helpful and great location. However if you don't like noise don't stay there as it's in the middle of temple be.

The girl at reception was standoffish when I walked in. Then, she wouldn't let me check my bag when I was checking out because she had to many other people waiting. I have a small 38-Liter so I didn't see it as a big deal. The bathroom was kind of dirty. Breakfast was okay but nothing special. The room was hot so the window was open but the noise outside was loud, but it is in the center of temple bar area so it was to be expected

I spend some great days in the Oliver St. John Gogarty's during my stay in Dublin. The only problem was that there was just ONE key for every room. I stayed in a room with 8 beds, so it was a bit annoying to open the door in the middle of the night when the other girls who stayed in the same room came back to the hostel very late at night. But apart from that everything was great :-)

• 17th Oct 2014

Overall, we had a good stay. We arrived before check-in and were able to store our luggage for the morning. The elevator was nice. The room could have been a bit cleaner, particularly the bathroom. I did not feel comfortable stepping on the bathroom floor with bare feet. Also, each room resident should be checked out a key, because having just one key for 10 residents does not work. The door ends up being propped open or otherwise kept unlocked, which is very unsecure. Breakfast was sufficient.

• All Male Group, 18-24

great, will be back

• Portugal

We had a fabulous stay at a great price at Gogarty's. Such a nice place in the heart of Temple Bar. The staff were really helpful too and I can't criticise anything when it comes to this veritable Irish institution! Thanks for a lovely stay, the great Guinness and all the fun :-D

• 16th Oct 2014

My experience staying here was amazing! We met the coolest people who were a blast and the staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. Everything was top notch and I will definitely be staying again when I come back to Dublin.

Amazing time staying here, right in the middle of Temple Bar street.. the key issue is not a problem in fact its safer as the key wont get lost on nights out!! met some amazing people, everything is in walking distance. Can't wait to come back in April :)

Staff is incompetent and rude. The rooms were not clean. Also there are no lockers in some rooms. When asked to change rooms I was told I could leave and go to a different hostel. Save the hassle and stay somewhere else. This hostel is not worth the money and the headache.

• 10th Oct 2014

Nice location, very friendly staff, the kitchen was decent.

The pub is great but the hostel not. The breakfast is ok but the cleanliness is absolutly poor. Fungi and dirt all over the place. Instead of the perfect location, never again!

The hostel was ok. But if you like meeting people don t go there!there common areas are deserted and no hostel activities of any kind. The staff does Hoy help with anything.

Definitely the best choice with this hostel if you want to experience Dublin, great atmosphere and if you are there to party. We really had a good time and I highly recommend the pub and the food, the music was great and it all was excellent. Thank you for this great experience!