On Top Backpackers Reviews

12 Filleul St, Dunedin, Dunedin, New Zealand

On Top was a GREAT stay. THANK YOU! My one suggestion is that the person who is at reception needs to be upbeat, welcoming and friendly. The woman who checked me in (American or Canadian?) was grumpy. She even rolled her eyes at me when I asked a basic question. If she doesn't like repetitive questions, maybe she shouldn't be at the reception/concierge? It gave me a very bad first impression. Good thing is the other staff I met were kind, friendly and helpful.

• 25th Jan 2016

Thanks for the review! Good to hear you enjoyed your stay and your comments are much appreciated! Thanks for your suggestion with the receptionist, I will be sure to pass this on to her and make sure she approves in that area. As we always want to make you feel welcome and comfortable to have best possible impression of Ontop and enjoy all the great things you have mentioned! Thanks Again!

Good hostel in central location. Everything is in walking distance. 20 mins to InterCity Stop. Big kitchen/chill out area with very good cooking facilities. Dorm rooms are a little bit small for six people plus luggage. Bathrooms were very clean!

Hey! Thanks for the great comments!

Stayed here last year in a dorm room which was very good, this time stayed in a private room. Very clean and reasonably priced. Only downfall is the wifi doesn't reach the room but overall excellent hostel and free pool :)

• 25th Jan 2016

Thanks for the comments. Still working on alternatives for wifi. Pleasing to hear you enjoyed yourself :)

No curtains by the windows...that aside it wasn't so bad

Good Hostel, staff were nice and located really close to everything. Had free wifi, but it didn't work very well. Also has a bar underneath so it could be loud at night.

This was a nice hostel but the bar below doubles as reception so that can get a bit annoying. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay here. The kitchen was well stocked with the things we needed and the rooftop idea was very cool! One note: if you have a car, parking around here is very pricey per day so plan for spending extra on that.

Maybe have some basics like salt and pepper would be nice.

It's a great hostel and we enjoyed our stay very much!

• 5th Dec 2015

some places cannot receive wifi

One of the main staff members we dealt with was very rude. He never smiled and seemed to want you out of his presence. A day after i stayed there I realised that I forgot my jar of sand from the Hostel so I called to see if they could find it. I dealt with the same man as before on the phone and he again didn't seem to care. He said he would call me back in 5min but after 20 minutes i called back to which he hastily said that he couldn't find the sand and hung up. I honestly think he didnt check

Hello, As you know we found your sand and contacted you via email. We were unable to send it as it would be a bio-security problem for Canadian Customs. You have since contacted us and said you understood this. Kindest Regards Mathhew

Really good hostel clean good staff helpful

• 24th Oct 2015
  • British Virgin Islands

This place was cool, except know that you have to go outside to get to the bathrooms, which sucks when it's old. Also there's only half a wall between the girls and boys bathrooms, so you can hear the boys go the bathroom. Also the reception is in a bar, which is a little odd.

A really great, centrally-located hostel, just a couple of minutes from the Octagon, with all its bars, restaurants, shops and statue of Robbie Burns :) The lounge is very homely, with lots of DVDs available to watch, and in the evenings, generally a bunch of people hang out there - both long-stayers and short-term stayers. The hostel has great security (card locks), and even has a free breakfast between 7:30am - 9am. What more do you need? :)

Excellent place, tidy and clean, the location is very good and the staff is very kind and helpful, and the people are cool...

CON The night toilet wasn't in a good condition PRO but the staff was really nice.