On Top Backpackers Reviews

12 Filleul St, Dunedin, Dunedin, New Zealand

Had an awesome time, stayed for 3 nights. Hostel staff couldn't have been more helpful and are a great group of people! Many thanks :)

This hostel has a great location. included wifi is helpful too. Unfortunately atmosphere is ok - mostly people are surrounding around the TVs. There are some rowdy people in this hostel, that wasn't so cool.

On Top has poor acoustics. External sounds loudly travel past all the outward facing rooms and the walls are very thin (you can hear your neighbours snoring, coughing, and so on). Bring ear plugs (and I say this as a heavy sleeper). The bed wasn't too comfortable either. But if you want to stay on top of a pool hall and bar, and have it large, this place is the bomb.

Fabulous view! Parking a pain.

A very basic hostel with quick access to most parts of Dunedin!

Love this hostel. Would highly recommend to anyone staying in Dunedin!

Good vibe in the bar

I loved this hostel and my time spent there. The location is perfect and the facilities are excellent and clean. Only negative thing I must say is I think the desk staff are a little rude and unwelcoming except the guy (NZer, tallish and blonde..a bit older) working the day I left who was absolutely lovely. Great hostel

Free breakfast (toast, cereal, coffee and tea) and free wifi. Next to library were is free wifi, too. Comfortable beds but not proper ladder to get to top bunk. Rooms are really small, no space for luggage. Other than that good place for couple nights.

Nice hostel but the kitchen is too small and gets to warm when there are people cooking

Prime location. Good sized kitchen so there's room for everyone. The beds were a bit rickety. The whole thing would move if the person on the top moved. Also a bit sketchy climbing onto the top bunk. Other than that, it was great.

Great location and staff at bar/reception very helpful. Large TV area, decent kitchen, free breakfast and WiFi, key card room doors. Only downsides are no lockers to store belongings plus bunks without proper ladders are irritating.

Our private room was a bit special, like a inverted balcony where on of the walls were completely glass with a slide door. You had the option to pull a sturdy curtain to get some privacy and I didn't mind. Thought the toilets felt really fresh. Otherwise nothing special, a bit small kitchen and common room (in the same room).

This hostel was ideal for a w/e in the city. Very clean and nice room, it was a well kept hostel. The free breakfast was a nice touch too, thanks!

Dorm rooms are crowded. Probably an ideal place if your time is spent drinking and partying.

Hi Lal We have a time in the evening when guests are not allowed to drink or party and guests are advised to go into town if they wish to . Thankyou for you comment

Great hostel, right in the centre of town! The owner was a bit cranky when it came to curfew at 10pm and the rooms were very loud - you could hear people talking in the kitchen from the bedrooms! But overall a lovely stay, would recommend!!

Hi Thanks for you great comments There is no curfew We just have a rule we try to stick to that there is no drinking on the premise after 10 pm Regards Matt

Great hostel, I really enjoyed my stay there! I liked that it was on the 1st floor, with a great bar underneath.

I stayed in a private room with en-suite. Very clean, comfortable bed, especially loved the duvet!! So warm & comfy. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Great morning coffee at a bargain :-) Will definitely stay again. Breakfast included was a bit of a bonus, although I couldn't wake up early enough after enjoying the local nightlife. The only down fall would be that the walls were too thin for my liking. I could hear early morning phone conversation and snoring at night. 1st world problems :-)

So fantastic! Brand new facilities. I would recommend anyone to stay here. Extremely clean even in common areas.

Thank you for the positive comments! We would love to see you again!

We loved almost everything about the hostel. Great group of people, cool bar downstairs, big kitchen, plenty of toilets and showers, comfy beds. The one thing that was no good was how loud people were in the wee hours of the morning, which is not the hostel's fault! Our neighbors were extremely loud, both on the side and across the hall. I'm talking YELLING at 3 am. That really sucked (no kept us awake two nights in a row). Loved everything else, though. Great location.

• 16th Oct 2014

Thank you for your comments. Being in the centre of town guests will come back late, however this is definitely something we are working hard on to improve. Check in forms specify that if there is loud or disorderly behaviour that you will lose your key deposit and or be asked to leave. We're sorry your sleep was disturbed and will do whatever we can to improve this problem. We're glad you were happy with everything else and hope to see you again in the future.