On the Beach Backpackers Reviews

46 Buffalo Beach Road, Whitianga, New Zealand

What a fantastic view! The room was lovely as well. Really appreciated that most of the beds were not bunk beds, it made for a much nicer night's sleep! The location is absolutely perfect, and the hostel is decorated really nicely outside.

No lockers in the rooms. Staff not very helpful (the lady at the front desk knew nothing about the tours you can book there) the hostel as the name suggests is across from the beach, but if you come here for the hot water beach and Cathedral Cove, you rather find an accommodation in Hahei as Whitianga is more than half an hour by car by those POI. On the bright side you can hire kayaks for free...

Fab hostel. Everywhere was very clean. Was in a 12 bed dorm but it only felt like a 4 bed one from how the room is seperated. Lovely common area with sofas and a big TV and fab views of the sea. Would definately stay here again.

The hostel had everything that you needed. I love that they offered kayaks and shovels to head to the hot beach. The only con I had had to do with the very limited wifi and the cost of wifi (which I recognize that this is all over NZ of just giving 100-500mb at a hotel). Traveling for a long period it's nice to be able to keep better touch with family back home and it makes it easier to research where to go when in strange new place.

• 25th Jan 2015

The dorm set-up was interestesting, as it was basically a self-contained unit with two bedrooms, a kitchen-lounge area and bathrooms. I only spent one short night there, but things seemed to run smoothly, and the staff was really helpful and friendly in the morning. The hostel is an easy walk away from the town centre.

It's at a great location right on the beach and our highlight was using the free kayaks provided. The down side was that the lady got our booking mixed up and we had to change rooms every night but it looked like she was running the whole hostel by herself so it must have been stressful for her. We liked walking into the town and if you're going to stay I would recommend the private cabins.

• 28th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

Quite enjoyed my stay here! Love the apartment style facilities. Thoroughly cleaned EVERY day. Wonderfully helpful staff. Great movie selection! Not much wifi. Good little walk into town, but as the name suggests, right on the beach!

This hostel is small, and aesthetically nothing special (kind of like the town of Whitianga). We did find a cockroach in our room, which I just feel like I have to mention. However; I absolutely LOVED our stay here. The fact that the hostel is small and there is nothing really to do in the town means it is so easy to make friends and hang out with people. We made a ton of friends, and had SUCH time at this hostel! Plus - love the boogie boards and other stuff to rent out!

Staff wasn't friendly, and kitchen wasn't clean.