On the Beach Backpackers Reviews

46 Buffalo Beach Road, Whitianga, New Zealand

Great location, right on the beach. We had 2 bedrooms with an adjoining kitchen which was perfect for what we wanted. The owner was incredibly helpful and recommended 2 really good restaurants and was very informative about the area. Really enjoyed our experience here!

Great hostel, except for the beds. I think I broke my back during the night.

A nice location opposite the beach but a 10min walk from the town centre. The room we had was a twin and was very compact, but clean. Clean wash facilities and the kitchen/lounge area was a little small. Staff very helpful and they have free kayaks to use.

Very helpful and friendly staff, great location near the beach and a short walk from town. Made of of lots of smaller units each with its own kitchen and bathroom facilities and also a great communal area within each unit. Good quality bikes for hire and free kayaks a bonus. Overall an excellent hostel

This hostel has amazingly comfortable beds, ended up staying longer than I planned and wished I could have stayed longer. The apartment type 4-bed dorms can be great if you end up sharing with awesome people, like I did. The staff are extremely helpful and good at connecting you to other travellers at the hostel who might have similar travel plans. The location isn't on the main strip, but was prefect for me because I like it a little quieter and it was right across the street from the beach.

• 23rd Jan 2014

small rooms, not a lot of space for personal belongings, no lockers

Nice overall setup with 2-dorm flats sharing a common room, toilets and showers. Good location on a nice beach. But: Small room. No lockers for backpacks. Thin walls, no noise protection towards common room. One of two showers did not work properly. WiFi was limited and not reliable. We had a mouse in the kitchen. Very soft matrasses.

Great place to stay. Includes 100mb free wifi access potter day, free use of their sea kayaks, and you can hire a bike for $20/day. Attentive staff.clean and chill atmosphere. enough bathrooms. Note reception closes @ 8pm although they'll leave your key for you if you have a booking and arrive late.

This hostel was brilliant!! The dorm rooms were spacious and e had a sea view from our room. Huge tv to watch films on. It is quite far from cathedrAl cove, hot water beach T the owners try and sort lifts with those who have cars. There are alternative ways to get there however. They provide kayaks for free!! . Great atmosphere would definitely recommend

One of the best hostels I've stayed at. Great location, right on the beach and not a very far walk to town. Very nice and helpful staff, especially Sue. An added bonus are the free kayaks!!!

Only 50MB of free wifi and must be accessed at reception only. Pay-for Tomi Zone internet available in rooms for a fee. Hostel is a good 15/20 walk out of town.

We were given an upgrade when we got to the hostel which was fantastic. The facilities were great. the staff were also really friendly and helpful. Would recommend this backpackers to everyone.

• 30th Nov 2013

Great place to stay with lovely staff who are very helpful! Would recommend to anyone!

Its a fair way from the centre of town with a heavy backpack but once you are there the walk is more than worth it. Its a neat little place, spotlessly clean, good value for money and does the job for the short time you are likely to be in Whittianga. Margaret, the owner/manager is an absolute treasure and she and her staff work very hard to ensure that you enjoy your stay and take advantage of the many local sights and attractions. I'd go back tomorrow . . .