On the Beach Backpackers Reviews

46 Buffalo Beach Road, Whitianga, New Zealand

The dorm set-up was interestesting, as it was basically a self-contained unit with two bedrooms, a kitchen-lounge area and bathrooms. I only spent one short night there, but things seemed to run smoothly, and the staff was really helpful and friendly in the morning. The hostel is an easy walk away from the town centre.

It's at a great location right on the beach and our highlight was using the free kayaks provided. The down side was that the lady got our booking mixed up and we had to change rooms every night but it looked like she was running the whole hostel by herself so it must have been stressful for her. We liked walking into the town and if you're going to stay I would recommend the private cabins.

• 28th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

Quite enjoyed my stay here! Love the apartment style facilities. Thoroughly cleaned EVERY day. Wonderfully helpful staff. Great movie selection! Not much wifi. Good little walk into town, but as the name suggests, right on the beach!

This hostel is small, and aesthetically nothing special (kind of like the town of Whitianga). We did find a cockroach in our room, which I just feel like I have to mention. However; I absolutely LOVED our stay here. The fact that the hostel is small and there is nothing really to do in the town means it is so easy to make friends and hang out with people. We made a ton of friends, and had SUCH time at this hostel! Plus - love the boogie boards and other stuff to rent out!

Staff wasn't friendly, and kitchen wasn't clean.