Orange Village Hostel Reviews

411 O'Farrell street, San Francisco, USA

Isn't in the cleanest area of the city, but close to bus lines and shopping district. Bring earplugs to sleep at night! Looks a bit rundown and could do better cleanliness wise, but overall acceptable for hostel standards. The one thing that they could improve on would be the shaky bunk beds, I had to struggle not to move and wake the person below me once I got on top. Overall though, if you’re just looking for a decent and reasonably priced place to stay, this would be the place to go.

• 24th Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Whilst the hostel is close to union square, where a lot of Hotels and Hostels are located, this one is on the outskirts. Although the Hilton is one block away, so is the 'Tenderloin' District - which anyone from San Francisco could easily point to on a map as 'places to avoid'. Most of the staff I came across where pretty incompetent, or made me feel like I was asking too much (when I clearly wasn't, for things like wifi, a towel etc.) Also, they give BATH MATS as towels. Ensuits are ridiculous.

After an initial mix up with our rooms - other people were in our beds the first night the stay was very pleasant.

• 24th Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

Stayed here a few nights with my wife. We got a private room for around $100 for 2 nights and then we decided to stay an extra night so we had to upgrade to a deluxe private room. The deluxe private was an extra $30 but it was worth it. Our private room was very hot and without a fan. The deluxe however had more windows so it was much cooler. Deluxe also has a private bathroom and small kitchenette with microwave. Breakfast was awesome. Waffles and nutella! I'd stay here again.

If you compare this hostel to any other with the same rates in anywhere else that is not SF it is very expensive for what it offers. But it's the cheapest you can get for a decent room in SF, so go for it if spending more is a deal breaker. At least the location is great.

This is the first time we ever spent a night in a Hostel. We were pleasently surprised by the room, friendliness, nice mixture of guests, breakfast and the best towels ever!!! We will definitely stay at a Hostel again in the future! Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

• 15th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Staff had some of the best service ever and breakfast was great with the free waffles. The only thing I hated was being exposed to the thing I hate most i life: cigarette smoke. Our room was facing the main street and smokers right under neath our window. Plus it was very loud even with ear plugs. I would ask for a room that was on facing the main street if you hate smoking like I do however I heard there is no breeze in those rooms so ask for a fan from the front desk. Otherwise great place.

more fresh air in the rooms will be welcomed

The location is good. There are live event almost everyday at evening you can join. Great breakfast as well. However, there seem to very few entertainment options in the hostel. As far as I can see, there is one tv only and restrooms are not enough with only 2 to 3 each floors.

Linens: At the other Hostels we've stayed numerous times, we received a top and a bottom sheets + a full set of towels per person. This did not happen even after asking. The carpets badly need replacing and the kitchen eating area was way too small to accommodate the crowd + the food ran out before 9:30. The location was overran with pimps and hookers. NOT STAYING AT THIS ONE AGAIN !!!!!

• 1st Jun 2015

Very good location, close to everything. Yes, at night the street seems a little dodgy, but I guess that if you are out and about at those hours, you have to be cautious anyway. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is awesome. Would definitely stay here again!

Good value for price. Rooms are good size, ensuite bathroom was appreciated. Free breakfast was great, and the action-packed social calendar a definitely plus. I'd stay here again.

To take advantage of the excellent sleeping facilities at Orange Village you don't require the Pacific Crest Trail. Just take off on foot on Geary Street to the Cliff House overlooking the Pacific Ocean at lands end, then hike along the exotic coastal trails of the Presidio to Golden Gate Bridge, which takes only 30 minutes to cross each way, then follow the friendly bike/pedestrian paths back toward Ghirardelli Square and Orange Village. You don't even require to bond up with cable cars.

The hostel location and staff were amazing. We were upgraded to a larger room at no charge and the hostel was quiet, there was always a shower or washroom available. The room was nice and big and clean. The actual hostel was very warn down and there was NO air circulation. We found it funny that there was digital television but no fans or air conditioning. The kitchen facilities were good and the included breakfast was a nice touch.

Orange Village had everything you need in a hostel! The free wifi worked throughout the entire building and the free breakfast was very good. Definitely a good option for staying in the city, as it's nice and close to everything you could need

Great location, nice room with enclosed bathroom and good breakfast. Staff was friendly and helpful. Only negative thing was that the toilet was clogged..

Professional staff. The place is run very well. Wonderful breakfast. Location can't be beat.

This is a basic hostel, but provided everything we need for our 5 days in SF. The location is good, very central and near by the metro and lot of stores. The rooms are simple, but has hot shower and comfortable beds. The kitchen is also well equipped, they offer a cheap laundry service and a good breakfast every day. The only problem sometimes was the cleaning of the kitchen and de TV room, that was always too busy, and the internet, that definitely was poor. For the rest, works really well.

Very nice and cool hostel :)

• 9th May 2015

Kudos to the Asian lady on the staff who upgraded me to a private room on my first night when we discovered I had been mistakenly booked into a female dorm. The design of the bunks makes it difficult and uncomfortable to get down from a top bunk. Good breakfast, very pleasant kitchen and TV room. My last night's sleep was ruined by a late addition to my dorm (505) who obviously had sleep apnea. He made a huge racket all night. It's a wonder I got any sleep at all ( not the Hostel's fault).

View all San Francisco Hostels