Orange Village Hostel Reviews

411 O'Farrell street, San Francisco, USA

The location was great - right in the center of town. Breakfast was great and the room was good however the common room and staff let the place down. The common room stank and in the morning one of the staff members was rude when we were making breakfast.

All the bad ratings and comments about tenderloin are puzzling to me. O'farrel street is headed towards a dangerous part of town, but in my experience the hostel itsself was in an ok part of the street. Obviously you dont want to wander around late at night alone, but that goes for most big cities youve never been to before. I was very satisfied with the hostel in general, it was clean, comfortable and many hostels dont even have a breakfast so i wouldnt criticize the breakfast for being "poor".

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Hungary

They have no parking - you have to pay $15-$20 bucks to leave your car in a parking structure on a nearby street. Room was clean but the walls and curtains were very dirty. There's only 1 tiny mirror in your room; if you wanna get ready, you have to go into the hallway to use a full length mirror. Housekeeping never made our bed, they would just give you new towels and throw away trash. Location is great though. This place was a last resort but I wouldn't do it again. Nice staff.

• 7th Aug 2014

The hostel is in a fairly good location (Theatre District) It is near many large retail stores, about a 30-40 minute walk to Fishermans Warf, 25 min walk to AT&T Park, there are busses and trolleys that are close by. Although if you walk West on O'Flarrel street it is rather sketchy. The rooms are clean and the building is quiet. I was happy to spend 3 nights at this hostel as hotels are outrageously expensive, also the beds are quite comfertable.

• 5th Aug 2014

I really had a great time. It's a great place to meet new people from all over the world. I quite enjoyed the pub crawling every Wednesday, that was really nice. you get what you paid for. Don't expect Sheraton standards.....it's a HOSTEL!!!!! overall it's a great place

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • South Africa

Didn't like the fact the hostel was in a bit of a dodgy area but the security seemed adequate inside and breakfast was great! Also liked the fact there was a reasonably priced airport shuttle we could book via the front desk

A bit noisy at night and it took a little while to sort out breakfast. Would have appreciated a bagel or roll. Otherwise a great location and pleasant room and staff.

• 30th Jul 2014

Overall easy stay; staff were helpful, location is great,and free wifi worked well. I Would stay again.

• 27th Jul 2014

Location was 3 blocks from bart,trolley,tram. Lg laundry room..great breakfast.they have tours available just ask. .clean place. .rooms cleaned daily by staff. Located 2 doors down from hilton hotel.. overall worth staying. ..

It's a good place for students while the breakfast could be better.

• 26th Jul 2014
  • China

The hostel is clean, the staff is helpful. What lacks is atmosphere - the hostel is really large. Nevertheless, if you just need a place to sleep, it is a perfect choice.

Clean and fairly good rooms but nothing special and for ~50 a night for a dorm u kind of want more or atleast I do.

• 21st Jul 2014

The staff was OK. The rooms are good and overall everything is very clean. For the price you cannot expect much more.

• 19th Jul 2014

Some of the staff couldn't care less.. the rooms were decent size and nice big windows. Not sure I would stay again but it was ok for the price.

The room was dirty as hell. The facilities are old. There is no AC, so I had to sleep with the windows open. The problem was that O'Farrel is a very busy street, so there was a lot of noise. They advertise "free breakfast" but it is nothing else than a bowl of cheap cereal and juice.

The staff were awesome! Friendly, helpful, courteous ... The bed worked for me ... my roommates were lovely ... I never took advantage of the breakfast or the pizza party the night I arrived, but I like that it was possible.

• 16th Jul 2014

The hostel is very cute. The bed is comfortable but when you move even if just a little bit it will make a noise that can awake your roommates. Breakfast is not bad. There is a living room where you can meet some friends or watching TV. Wifi is not really satisfied but it's not a big problem for me. All staffs are very nice

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Thailand

I was just in San Francisco for one night. The hostel was nice, and the room was clean and big. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm with just 3 occupants. The location wasn't too far from market street bus stop. Sure there were a lot of homeless people around, but that's to be expected in San Francisco. I would definitely stay here again.

• 11th Jul 2014

As a young college Student on a budget, you expect a Hostel to be cheap and more affordable than a Hotel room.This tiny Double Room i booked for me and my boyfriend however, costed us $120 per night. It did not have an own bathroom,nor an AC. The included breakfast was simple but okay,but the kitchen too small for the many people in the hostel and therefore always crowded and dirty. One week at the O.V. Hostel costed us over $800, which is a shame for this tiny lumber room.not again.

• 10th Jul 2014

I enjoyed my stay at The Orange. It is very clean and convenient located. I love the fact that there is a laundry on site and free breakfast, not too many options but at least there is something. I like it a lot!

• 9th Jul 2014