Orange Village Hostel Reviews

411 O'Farrell street, San Francisco, USA

Good hostel with very nice staff for an acceptable price (compared to standard prices in the city). Breakfast is simple but good. There is some room for improvement though: the bathrooms are shared with many people, our room was quite noisy because the windows are old.

Your late night staff is the worst. One morning around 5am I came down to the lobby and saw someone behind the desk in the office. I say good morning to the young man and got no reply. So, I made eye contact and said good morning again and got no response. So I went to the TV lounge and there was someone sleeping on the sofa. I wanted to watch the news, this person said I was disturbed him. Does not everyone have a room? I found out the night manager let him sleep.

• 16th Aug 2015

I shared a 4 bed dorm with 3 friends, we basically could not sleep at all, the room was on the street side of the building, the street was quite noisy all night, and the noise isolation was pretty much inexistent. The mattresses were broken with springs poking in all directions. Even though we paid for two nights we stayed only one. The staff was pretty unhelpful. The worst place I have stayed at in a long time.

• 15th Aug 2015

Our room smelled really bad - there was a musty wet smell. The wall had a gross splatter of some kind which desperately needed cleaning and the plastic sheets on the beds were a nuisance. The noise outside the windows is terrible, car alarms, police sirens and people yelling and vomiting at all times of the night! TV did not work but the bathroom was great. A safe is desperately needed in each room at this hostel given how unsafe the neighbourhood is! Staff were great and always helpful!

I will stay there if I visit SF again. Breakfast was delicious; they have waffle, cereals, many kinds of bread, coffee, yogurt, fruit and etc. Atmosphere was also nice. You can easily mingle with new people from everywhere. Location was perfect. Room and beds are reaaly tidy and clean. I fully recommend this hostel!

So far on our trip this has been the worst hostel. The staff were unwelcoming and uncommunicative. It is not a very social hostel. The surrounding area isn't fantastic either. The free towels are hilarious. There were hardly any events/tours/activities. Poor for the money we paid. Just as well San Francisco is an AMAZING place it totally made up for the poor service. Maybe we have just been super lucky so far on the trip with other hostels?

The staff here are really bad. They didn't return my passport after I checked out, and they didn't inform me at all until I found out myself later. They said they will mail to me and give me the shipping information and receipt by email. But they only sent me the shipping number without telling me which company they sent. The reply is really slow and irresponsible.

• 16th Jul 2015
  • China

The location was great, right in the center of the city. The place was clean, quiet, and breakfast was delicious!

Hostel was clean and comfortable. Private room was really nice. Stopped in first time and was too early to check in, came back later when room was ready. Both times, we were not greeted and had to wait for the two employees to finish their conversation before even acknowledging we were there. They were friendly, but would have been nice to know they even saw us.

• 25th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Isn't in the cleanest area of the city, but close to bus lines and shopping district. Bring earplugs to sleep at night! Looks a bit rundown and could do better cleanliness wise, but overall acceptable for hostel standards. The one thing that they could improve on would be the shaky bunk beds, I had to struggle not to move and wake the person below me once I got on top. Overall though, if you’re just looking for a decent and reasonably priced place to stay, this would be the place to go.

• 24th Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Whilst the hostel is close to union square, where a lot of Hotels and Hostels are located, this one is on the outskirts. Although the Hilton is one block away, so is the 'Tenderloin' District - which anyone from San Francisco could easily point to on a map as 'places to avoid'. Most of the staff I came across where pretty incompetent, or made me feel like I was asking too much (when I clearly wasn't, for things like wifi, a towel etc.) Also, they give BATH MATS as towels. Ensuits are ridiculous.

After an initial mix up with our rooms - other people were in our beds the first night the stay was very pleasant.

small room. tall ceilings but the bunk beds were so short you couldn't sit in the lower one big and well equipped kitchen. good breakfast close to downtown

Stayed here a few nights with my wife. We got a private room for around $100 for 2 nights and then we decided to stay an extra night so we had to upgrade to a deluxe private room. The deluxe private was an extra $30 but it was worth it. Our private room was very hot and without a fan. The deluxe however had more windows so it was much cooler. Deluxe also has a private bathroom and small kitchenette with microwave. Breakfast was awesome. Waffles and nutella! I'd stay here again.

If you compare this hostel to any other with the same rates in anywhere else that is not SF it is very expensive for what it offers. But it's the cheapest you can get for a decent room in SF, so go for it if spending more is a deal breaker. At least the location is great.

This is the first time we ever spent a night in a Hostel. We were pleasently surprised by the room, friendliness, nice mixture of guests, breakfast and the best towels ever!!! We will definitely stay at a Hostel again in the future! Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

• 15th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Staff had some of the best service ever and breakfast was great with the free waffles. The only thing I hated was being exposed to the thing I hate most i life: cigarette smoke. Our room was facing the main street and smokers right under neath our window. Plus it was very loud even with ear plugs. I would ask for a room that was on facing the main street if you hate smoking like I do however I heard there is no breeze in those rooms so ask for a fan from the front desk. Otherwise great place.

more fresh air in the rooms will be welcomed

The location is good. There are live event almost everyday at evening you can join. Great breakfast as well. However, there seem to very few entertainment options in the hostel. As far as I can see, there is one tv only and restrooms are not enough with only 2 to 3 each floors.

Linens: At the other Hostels we've stayed numerous times, we received a top and a bottom sheets + a full set of towels per person. This did not happen even after asking. The carpets badly need replacing and the kitchen eating area was way too small to accommodate the crowd + the food ran out before 9:30. The location was overran with pimps and hookers. NOT STAYING AT THIS ONE AGAIN !!!!!

• 1st Jun 2015