Orange Village Hostel Reviews

411 O'Farrell street, San Francisco, USA

free internet access on the desktop was a god send

• 5th Jun 2014

I really appreciated the fact that someone was at the desk or available 24hrs a day. Our plane came in late and the shuttle took over an hour to get to the Hostel and we were welcomed as if we came on time. The rooms and bathrooms were cleaned everyday and gave clean towels everyday. The kitchen was open for breakfast each morning and left open til 10PM. An old hotel, so the rooms were small but very adequate - had a TV, microwave and small refrig.

Great location, great rooms, clean. We stayed in a private double room, it was perfect and exactly what we needed. A bit noisey at night as the windows are old but you get what you pay for. I'd defiantly stay again and would recommend to friends.

• 30th May 2014

Homeless people everywhere in the surrounding blocks and they make a LOT of noise (yelling at all hours, blasting a radio at 6am). The bunk beds were kind of rickety and the whole unit swayed every time the person below me moved. A couple of the springs on my mattress were busted. Sinks are in the rooms only (not in the bathrooms) instead of the bathroom which sounds nice until someone needs to clean up after everyone else has gone to bed. Wouldn't stay here again.

The kitchen closing at 10 pm sucks!!

I have stayed here the last 3 times I've visited San Fransisco. It's great for a short stay. The staff are friendly and helpful, the location is great, right in the center of everything and also close to the Bart station. It's great value for money too. I'm sure I'll be staying here again sometime in the near future.

Overall a fairly positive experience. Previously having been a hotel it's not surprising that this place was so clean and well maintained. The rooms were spacious and comfortable with decent size lockers, bathrooms large and clean and location of the hostel was central enough. The only real criticism is the lack of atmosphere, there's not really much going on within the hostel so it's hard to meet people perhaps if you're a solo traveller.

One bathroom with one shower for one floor....it's not enough! Otherwise the staff is very nice

The only negative thing was that when we were going to bed our first night , when we lifted our comforter to get into bed, it was clearly not cleaned. You could tell a gentleman had stayed here previously. This was absolutely disgusting and unhygienic. When we went down to complain, front desk staff just gave us two sheets for ourselves to change. The next day the housekeeper cleaned our bed entirely. It should have been cleaned before we arrived though. They didn't comp a night, just 25.00 back

• 17th May 2014

The place is clean, safe and has a good location but is the opossite of any hostel somebody wood want. Not atmosfire, no contact with other guest no activities beside the Friday wine... If I had to choose again I would not stay here

This place is by the best hostel or extended stay location in san francisco. Their wifi id great, the staff is friendly and helpful. The room are nice and clean. The housekeeping was great as well.

There was no "hostel smell" so that was good. There was hot water with strong pressure from the showers. I have no complaints. I suggest to bring ear plugs because the street noise is hella(really) loud. One night a cab driver got into an accident and later a fist fight erupted and everyone in my room woke up because it was so loud.......so bring ear plugs !!

It's a residential hotel, not hostel. Night 2 in the lounge a staff put a flashlight in my face, laughing at me to wake me up after I'd dozed off w/my laptop & files spread out in front as I was working on a deadline. He was rude, hostile, unwarranted. When I checked out, it was a fight to get my key deposit. I had been told I could finish my work in the common area and that's what I was doing. I checked out of my rm early & it's illegal to retain the deposit when key is returned. Terrible exp.

• 20th Apr 2014

I really like this hostel, it was my first time stayed in hostel and I wasn't expected it to be that good. I am very impressed and enjoyed talking to my roommate(dorm room). The price was worth for everything. It's a little a bit loud at night because a lot of ghetto around but it was ok because compare to the location. Everything is CLEAN and I was a little surprised that bathroom looks really clean. It's safe to stay there! I went there with my friend and we are eighteen!

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

unfriendly staff!

The hostel is fine if you are not too strict. You wont have towels, you will have to do your own bed and you are not going to be able to charge your phone in the room. I repeat, it is a nice place with a good location, but is not an awesone place where to stay.

Right beside a dodgy area. Old Building. No wash basins in the bathroom. Small kitchen.

The room was exactly what we needed for our stay, as we planned to only really sleep there. The coffee is excellent. There was an off smell in the third floor hallway but nothing enough to deter me from staying. Was a cozy place and the bed in the private room was not uncomfortable. I would just avoid the streets Turk and eddy. As both as located fairly close to the hostel and are not welcoming in the least. The room wasn't fully cleaned when we checked in but we were early so I can't complain.

• 9th Mar 2014

Location was nice, nerby union square, even if near the tenderloin district the place was quite safe. Some homeless around but as always in SF ! Clean bathrooms, and rooms, but the kitchen was dirty. I enjoyed my stay there.

• 8th Mar 2014

Location is great for transport but there are some homeless around so watch which way you turn out of the hostel. Free breakfast and internet are GREAT. I could only find one shower on my floor but it was always free when I used it so was never a problem.

View all San Francisco Hostels